• Published 9th May 2016
  • 546 Views, 0 Comments

That Night - 21latenighter



a retelling of one of the saddest tales of equestrian history, the banishment of nightmare moon...

  • ...
1
 0
 546

the saddest night

As Princess Celestia walked down the hallway of the west wing of the castle, her mind was on the thought of setting the sun for the end of the day. She wondered if her sister would even be up yet, she had been acting so strange the past couple of days. She had kept away from her, and when they had been together, she had talked about how her greatest night was quickly approaching. She reached the end of the hallway, and bowed her head as she past the guards saluting her through the doorway. "Your majesty, all has been calm and nothing to report", the first guard said as she past.

Celestia walked out of the doorway onto the balcony on the west side of the castle. She began to call upon her magic and started to lower the sun. The sun lowered droopily as if it was tired of lighting the lands of equestria all day. she finished lowering the sun, and turned to leave when the moon raised up almost instantly. She turned to look out at the sky when her sister teleported out of the blue. "Hello sister, hope your day has been long, and the ponies loved their precious sun. But it is now time for the night to begin, so scurry around sister", Luna sneered as she began to work her magic on the night.

"Sister, what has gotten into you as of late, you have been so different", Celestia said as she faced her sister.

"Maybe I have just grown tired of being in your shadow, older sister, and I have just as much importance as you do", Luna added violently.

"Sister, please leave this discussion for another day, I have grown tired from the day's struggles", Celestia said, as she began to leave the balcony enraged.

"One day sister, very soon, you will be very sorry to have crossed me", Luna said as she watched her walk away. Luna then turned her attention back to the sky. Tonight, there would be much to celebrate, for the night would be lasting a long time after tonight. Her deal with the nightmare creature was complete. The creature promised to give her all the power to defeat her sister, and let the night last forever.

"Are you ready to complete this deal, Princess", the creature whispered into her ear, it's shadow looming over her body.

"Nearly ready, but let us wait until my wretched sister tries to raise the sun in the morning", Luna said to the nightmare as she herself turned to walk into the castle.

"As you wish, your highness", the nightmare whispered as it remained on the balcony. Little did the princess know, but once she let the nightmare give her power, it would take over her body, and rule the night in her body.

The night was a beautiful one, the moon was full and close, and the stars formed many constellations, and part of the galaxy could be seen. Snowdrop sat at the front of the weather factory, listening to the night and all of it's glory, but she could feel a tension in the air. The night was so tense, so tense that a pen could of started a war. she began to worry for her best friend, as Luna had been very different at their last meeting. She talked about how the ponies all worshipped her sister, and that all the other ponies shunned her beautiful night. "Oh Luna, please don't do something that you will regret my friend", Snowdrop said as she began the flight home. It was a little difficult finding her way home being blind, but she had found a way to overcome this. She had placed some tubing on strings outside her home. The others thought it was a dumb idea, but her hearing was very acute, and she could pinpoint where her house was without sight.

As snowdrop arrived at her house, something was different. She was not alone, a voice broke the silence, "Snowdrop, I have come here to see if you could help me figure out my sister's odd behavior", Celestia said as she aided Snowdrop to her table.

"Well, I can say that she is jealous of you princess, because all of the ponies are awake when you raise and lower the sun, and praise you for it, but there are only a couple of ponies who even admire her for her royal duties. But I can't say I blame her Princess, as no pony has even thanked her the important things that she does for equestria", Snowdrop said calmly and collectedly staring at the wall.

"I think that there is much to blame here then", Celestia said, "But even as I may have failed my sister a little here and there, what you are saying is that I have never cared for my sister at all".

"there is a saying princess, that those who step into the limelight find it hard to think of anything but of how to make themselves seem more important. Your sister has been under your shadow for so long that she no longer feels important to you as your sister or co-ruler of equestria. As for her behavior as of late, my instinct is telling me that she is getting ready to do something she will regret", Snowdrop finished.

Celestia looked like she had seen a ghost, "I have to get to the castle, you stay here and keep yourself safe Snowdrop".

The night was nearly over, and she had to get to her sister and stop her from whatever she was going to do and apologize for the way she had acted. Luna was setting on her throne when Celestia found her. "Hello, sister, how was your rest", Luna said with a smirk.

"Luna, please listen to me", Celestia said, but was cut off by Luna.

"NO, you listen sister, I have been under your shadow for far too long, but that is all about to change, NOW!!!", Luna said as a shadow came out around the throne and began to circle around her. It then lifted her up into the air, and then enclosed into a sphere around her. It began to darken until it was pitch black, then became a dark purple. Then a figure emerged from the sphere, it looked like Luna, but she was taller, had a Purple mane that was all out of its normal rhythm, and her coat was now pitch black. She had sharp pointed teeth instead of her usual pony teeth, and had armor on her body.

"No Luna, please, it doesn't have to be this way, I don't want to fight you", Celestia began to plead with her sister.

"Luna, my name is Nightmare Moon, and if you don't want to fight me, then your precious little subjects will know that you died, begging me to put you to death, and me, being a merciful princess, gave you the release you wanted", Nightmare Moon said as she began to approach her sister. Celestia flared out her wings and took off the ground. "Where do you think you are going", Nightmare said as she took off after her.

Celestia tried her hardest to get away from her sister in the throne room, and Nightmare laughed as she started to shoot bolts of magic at her. She dodged them as well as she could, and one of the bolts struck the ceiling, causing part of the roof to collapse. Celestia took the opportunity and flew out of the castle. Nightmare followed her out, now chasing her around the castle, sending bolts at her, now beginning to destroy more of the castle. Celestia then turned to face her sister, and calling on her magic, sent a bolt of her own at her sister, and Nightmare Moon easily dodged it. Celestia then prepared her magic and sent her magic in the form of a continuous blast at her sister, which Nightmare repeated. The blasts struck one another, and created a blast in the middle. Celestia used all of her magic to keep the sphere of energy in the middle, but Nightmare had more magic than she could even try to compete with. The sphere got closer and closer and then touched her horn. At that moment, the energy exploded and knocked Celestia unconscious, and she began to fall from the sky.

Nightmare Moon raised herself into the sky, and began to laugh as she watched her sister fall back into the castle. Celestia fell through another hole in the roof. She hit the ground hard, she could feel the pain, though it didn't feel like anything was broke. She came to a couple of minutes later. Tears begin to cloud her vision, but not from the pain of the fall, she knew that her sister was going to have to be banished for her actions, and that it was all her fault. She looked to the stand that held the elements of harmony, and used her magic to take them from their places. "I am so sorry sister, but this must be done", Celestia said through the tears as she activated the elements. They began to spin around her until they were a rainbow band around her.

She flew into the air to face her sister. "Have you come to accept defeat and die sister", Nightmare Moon sneered.

"I am sorry", Celestia said as she used her magic to place the elements into formation to increase her magic and cast the spell that had to be cast. Nightmare Moon cast another spell of continuous energy to stop her sister, and Celestia activated the spell and the elements, and they shot out a rainbow beam to meet the one that Nightmare Moon had cast. The two spell met in the middle, and the elements faltered a little, and then they blew across the sky meeting Nightmare's horn. The spell then sent her body towards the moon, and then disappeared as the face of a unicorn appeared on the moon.

The tears then began to flow from her eyes, as Celestia began the long wait for her sister to be healed.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment