• Published 2nd May 2016
  • 2,521 Views, 57 Comments

The Last Impressionist - CrackedInkWell



On the way home one night, Fancy Pants discovers a painting of extraordinary quality being thrown away in the trash in the poorer part of Canterlot. Curious, Fancy discovers a depressed artist who's down on his luck named Acrylic Brush.

  • ...
7
 57
 2,521

PreviousChapters
Chapter 35: Masterpiece

After months of planning, narrowing down the guest list, choosing the right setup for the ceremony and reception, the location of the honeymoon, etc… Everything is set for the big day tomorrow. Apart from my father being here tomorrow. Acrylic’s siblings are already here in Canterlot, we’ve invited our friends to come for the wedding. We’ve invited Hoity, Fleur, Lord Night Light (with his wife), Princess Luna, Golden Gavel, and Mr. Haiku’s family just to name a few.

As keeping up with tradition here in Equestria, both spouses-to-be must be kept out of sight for an entire week before the ceremony. This means that as of the time I’m recording this, it’s almost been a week since I’ve seen my fiancé. At this very moment, I honestly have no clue as to where Acrylic might be. I’ve suspended his duties of a Valet for this very purpose, and last I’ve heard of him, he’s gone down to Ponyville in preparation of the wedding with his siblings.

There’s also one more tradition that we had both agreed to follow. It is that we would exchange a meaningful gift to each other that sums up our relationship to one another. Well, that’s where these recordings come in. You see, Acrylic, I’ve been doing a recording a day here in my room, and I’m relieved that I’m able to finish this last one the night before. Perhaps one-day somepony might put everything I say into a book for our future foals that we might adopt or something to let them know how we met.

Now… what do I say here? After spending over a month’s worth of recordings and who knows how many thousands of words I’ve spoken into this microphone, I wonder how I would end this. What sort of thoughts do I give now, that tomorrow I’m going to be married for the first time? How do I-

(Sound of a door opening.)

“Fancy, there you are, everypony’s looking for-”

“Hoity? What are you doing here? I thought everypony’s gone.”

“Almost, but no… what’s the tape recorder for?”

“You’re interrupting!”

“Okay, okay, I’ll leave you alone in a second. But there’s a package here for you.”

“What package?”

“Here, let me go get it.”

_*_

Sorry for the interruption. Now that all the other guests are gone, and I’m now certainly alone, I could finish this recording in peace. I guess I need to cut that out for the final tape.

Then again… Perhaps for once, I’ll leave it in since I have something from you. It’s a letter and a cardboard tube. It’s from Ponyville, I guess this must be the meaningful gift thing that I was talking about. Let’s see what the letter says.

(The sounds of paper being torn, followed by the rustling of paper could be heard.)

Let’s see…

Dear Fancy,

Since that we can’t exactly see each other until Wednesday, I do hope that my sending this letter to you won’t contribute to anything of that “bad luck,” stuff you’ve mentioned. It is rather frustrating that I can’t see you, being nearly a week, I’m already missing you. I do hope you’re doing alright in Canterlot, Celestia knows how busy you have been with the wedding and all. I can’t help but imagine that you must be tearing out your mane from the sheer stress of it all.

I want to let you know that I’m doing fine here in Ponyville. I’ve been staying at an Inn here since Dad isn’t exactly… ready to meet me just yet. However, he was able to talk to Mom, along with Tempera, Water, and even Oily from Lightning Falls who came to Equestria for the big day! Even though Mom still wouldn’t come to the wedding, I’m very glad that my brother and sisters are coming up with me to Canterlot. I think it would be interesting for you to meet all of my siblings.

From where I’m writing, I can see Canterlot from my window I couldn’t help but wonder what is going on with you at this very moment. Maybe you’re really are tearing out your mane, your suite in patches and everything is on fire. Call me paranoid, but being this far away from you for this long, I can’t help but let my imagination run wild at the possibilities.

But in all seriousness, I do miss you. Are you are missing me as well? I know that you’re keeping yourself busy for what’s about to happen, but do you ever think what I’m doing at this moment too? Does the bed you lay on at night seem empty as well? I have.

Now before I go any further, I have a confession to make. For a long time, I couldn’t think of the perfect gift for you. Now, I did suspect that you were doing something behind closed doors for a month, but I still have no clue as to what you’re doing. Perhaps making that gift that I myself hadn’t got around to, that was until I came here to Ponyville was when I hit upon an idea.

Since I imagine how lonely you must be up there in that city on the mountainside, I want to give you something to make you feel a little less lonely before our wedding. Something with great meaning and it was then; I realized that there is something I could do. Or rather, something that I’ve begun years ago, but never gotten around to finishing.

Fancy, if everything goes right, attached to this letter should be a tube that has a very special painting inside. Do you remember years ago when I got so depressed that I nearly jumped off the side of a building? In particular, do you recall finding a canvas on my bed that I never finished? While it has taken me a while to get my hooves on it once more, I am glad to say that not only is it finished, but I consider it to be my masterpiece. In fact, I was able to paint you from memory.

With the thought that I’m going to marry the very stallion in that painting… words can’t describe how much joy it is for me that something like this is going to happen. Never again will I be alone. Never will the whipping stick of tradition I was raised by holding me back from you. I’m about to marry happiness in the flesh, who goes by the name of Fancy Pants.

I hope to see you soon.

With love,

-Acrylic.

Awe… Acrylic, that’s so thoughtful of you. Here, let me see your masterpiece.

Oh… Oh wow… This is all from memory? I do recognize the painting alright. It is the unfinished double portrait of us from all those years ago but… it’s complete, but it’s changed a little.

The only thing that’s still the same is that Acrylic in the portrait is colored with earthy reds and browns on his coat, while his mane has quick strokes of ghostly white, gray and yellow. The eyes are the same, deep yellow.

The rest, however, it’s completely changed. The background doesn’t have the starry night, but instead, it’s an outsider’s view of my balcony. With the railings, the open window, and the interior of the bedroom! This is… really detailed, even for you. Sure, it’s still in your Impressionistic style, but I can clearly see the phonograph, the pattern on the blanket on the bed, the desk, the mirror, and even the doors to the closet and bathroom.

But for me… Acrylic, you’re incredible. You really did get everything right, from the different shading of color on my coat and suit to using really light purple to contrast with the blue. Strokes of very dark crimson against the black as shading. And… oh… you added something too. Our engagement bands, one on my horn and the other on your hoof… I didn’t notice that until now.

You know what? I think I know how to end this recording.

Acrylic. You’re right, this is a really, really good painting you’ve given me. It’s not only colorful, as usual, but it is very thoughtful too. This by far is the best picture you’ve ever worked on, and the fact that it’s meant for me is heartwarming. What you’ve given me is priceless beyond comprehension for knowing how much I’ve seen you grow. I am deeply humbled, honored, and grateful that I have such a rare kind of pony like you that by tomorrow I will be calling you, my husband.

Perhaps, one day, I ought to be the one to write my recordings of our story down. Give it some pictures and letters too for prosperity to look back on. You have been on quite a journey to this point in your life Acrylic. Gone from, what you saw as a nopony who was far away from home, to becoming a great genius that I have come to know and love. Words cannot describe how fortunate we are that we get to fulfill something that we both didn’t think was possible.

I guess one of the ways I could end this is by giving you a quote from one of your idols: Vineigh van Gogh. It comes from a letter to his brother that, I think brings out who you are in a nutshell. “Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well.”

I miss you too Acrylic, even your paintings couldn’t compare to your company here with me. But I will wait for you. We have a new chapter in our lives that for better or for worse, we will write it out together. Good-night, my love. I will be seeing you at the wedding tomorrow.

Author's Note:

The End.

:rainbowderp: It's finished. After several months, it's finally done! I mean just... wow. That's all I can say about writing this. It's by far the longest fic to date. And considering all the other stuff I've done in the past, that says a lot.

So, now I turn to you, what did you think of it?

PreviousChapters
Comments ( 8 )

I binge-read the entire story in one day, before the last chapter, and I absolutely loved it. So you can imagine how excited I was to finish the whole thing now. It's a beautiful love story; both heartwarming and heartbreaking, it had me glued to my phone for over an hour. The vivid descriptions of Acrylic's paintings stood out to me, mainly because I could easily picture each one in my mind (and because I'm a huge fan of Impressionist art).

The whole fic was absolutely fantastic, and I can't wait to see what else you'll come up with!

Well, I made it through the whole thing in a few days. And speaking as the guy who's gone through a lot of M/M stories (kind of have to, when you run the Coltcuddlers group :rainbowlaugh: ) I think it's very underrated. The spelling, grammar, format etc still need some work and polishing up (and the author knows, since he admits which chapters are unedited and which aren't), but it's really the story itself, and the emotional drive behind it, that makes it good. Like a number of stories, (including some of the author's other underrated M/M works like My Dearest Dusk) the style may be kind of rough and unpolished, but the heart of it, the capturing and inspiring of emotions through the interactions of our characters, is simply sublime. All in all, The Last Impressionist merits an 8/10, I think. Keep writing, CrackedInkwell!

With regards,

Brasta Septim

I have no word. The entire thing was a master piece in only 35 chapters, all be it long but still. The only other time I have read a fic this good there were 50 something chapters, maybe a little less like 40 something, but still. this was freaking good. Like, my friend told me to shut up because I was raving about this so much for the pas few days. Keep writing and making amaing stories like these please!!!:twilightsmile:

I love this story! Though I haven't finished reading it, it is an amazing story.

I must say that I love this story. It is one of the best I have read in a while, and it is a true inspration to someone like me who has fallen on hard times, and who has attempted to commit suicide, twice. One a recentley as the beginning of July 2017. It reminds me exactally why I turned away from the pknife's edge, litterally. Because I have people who care about me, and who I don't want to leave alone and suffereing because of my actions. So yes I absolutely loved the story, especially the end which brought tears to my eyes.

Congrats on finishing the story, sorry I couldn't finish editing it for you, It was great.

You know what? I'm starting another- for a lack of a better word- folder for books that went above and beyond being my favorites. Just because of this book.

It was really good. I enjoyed it a lot and I love Impressionist art!

Login or register to comment