• Published 3rd May 2016
  • 4,079 Views, 68 Comments

Best Friends, Too - shortskirtsandexplosions



Minuette and I have got to be the absolute best friends in all of Equestria. Or at least we thought so... before running into Lyra and Bon Bon.

  • ...
13
 68
 4,079

Bench

Two hours later, and I wish I could still be so zen about it all...

"...and that's when we started wearing each other's dresses!" Bon Bon says, giggling.

I bite off the end of my ice cream cone and stare down the funnel at her. After munching, I swallow and mutter: "Wearing each other's dresses..."

"Y'know, on cold January afternoons?" Bon Bon giggles again. "Lyra has to make deliveries in the snow for her music store. And it can be so blistery cold that time of year."

"So Bon Bon—like the best friend she is—wears my dress uniform for an hour or two before my shift begins!" Lyra says, sitting on the bench weirdly. "That way—when I put it on—it's already warmed up and my teeth don't have to chatter so hard!"

"And what nice teeth you have these days, Lyra!" Minuette says. She winks at Bon Bon. "I minored in orthodontics halfway through college... but didn't earn enough credits to strap scared foals to a chair. Teehee!"

"Oh! I remember Lyra telling me about that!" Bon Bon says. "She says she always thought it was fitting—what with your mane looking like sparkling toothpaste and all!"

"Heh..." I nibble slowly at the ice cream cone, smirking towards the afternoon sky above Ponyville. "Do you have 'best friend conversations' over the bathroom sink?"

"Only when we're not brushing each other's teeth."

I nearly spit out the crunchy material in my muzzle. "You... br-brush each other's teeth?"

"Well, why not?" Lyra blinks. "A pony's... kinda blind when she tries to do it on her own!"

"That's why it's so nice to have a bestie around to lend a hoof!" Bon Bon giggles. "The same goes with mane brushing... grooming..."

"Nose-hair trimming."

"Oh! Good one, Lime Squeezie! Thanks for reminding me."

"Anytime, Bubblebumps."

"Haven't... you..." I clear my throat. "...ever heard of a mirror?"

"Come, now, Amy..." Minuette smiles across the bench at me. "Mirrors don't matter when you're in love."

Lyra and Bon Bon jerk towards Minuette. Expressions blank. Eyes blinking.

"Huh?"

"What do you mean?"

I gnash my teeth. Hoooo boy...

"Uhhhhhhhhh..." Minuette glances at me, trembles a bit, gulps, then says: "In... l-love with being best friends!"

Silence.

"Heehee! You're right!" Lyra grins.

"Being best friends is soooooooooo amazing!" Bon Bon coos.

"Wouldn't have it any other way!"

"Nope! No other way!"

"Eheheheh... heeeeee..." Minuette wipes her brow before casting me a desperate look.

She's actually kind of adorable when she squirms. So, with a devilish smirk, I turn towards the two mares once again. "So... that's a pretty snazzy kite you have there."

Minuette slaps two hooves over her muzzle, choking in the intense need to snort.

"Oh! You like it?" Bon Bon grins, lifting the object off of the ground where it was leaning against the bench. "We made it just the other day!"

"Yup!" Lyra smirks proudly. "Bon Bon got the materials and I put the framework together!"

"Do you like the colors?" Bon Bon winks. "We chose 'em together!"

"Wow." I nod. "Every shade of the rainbow." I nod again.

Minuette gags into her forelimbs, blushing red-on-blue.

"Yeah? So?" Lyra raises an eyebrow. "We happen to like rainbows!"

"It says 'joy' and 'friendship!'" Bon Bon proclaims. "It's the promise of a new day of life and happiness!" She winks aside. "Just like a new morning where you wake up knowing that you get to see your best bestie againnnnn!"

"Hmmmmm..." Lyra rubs noses with her. "...such a poet."

"Such a musician."

"Cross my heart..."

"...and hope to serenade!"

"Heheheh..."

"Heeee!"

Minuette finally composes herself. She lowers her hooves, coughing, then smiling. "Well, we think it's absolutely beautiful. Like the two of you." She casts me a mixed smile/glare. "Right, Amy?"

I take a warm breath and say, "I'm really glad you two are getting along so well. It's... it's..."

Minuette exhales, "Fuzzy?"

"Inspirational," I say. "Really and truly."

"Awwwwwwwww..." Lyra and Bon Bon hug each other, smiling our way. "Well, it's really sweet to hear you both say that."

"And we wish you the best..."

"Huh?" I blink. "What for?"

"For your trip down Best Friends Lane, of course!" Bon Bon winks. "You only ever make that kind of a journey once!"

My brow furrows at that. Nevertheless, I give her a thoughtful nod. "How very monogamous."

Minuette coughs.

"Er... I mean... mono-felicitous?"

"Heehee!" Lyra giggles. "Stole the words out of my muzzle!"

I munch what's left of the ice cream cone, swallow, and smirk at Minuette. "And just who am I to doubt the cunning words of such expert linguists?"

And now it's Minuette's turn to face-hoof.