• Published 28th Dec 2017
  • 4,421 Views, 83 Comments

Zero Fate - GreyNimbus



There's no such thing as fate. Only possibilities. So where do I stand?

  • ...
14
 83
 4,421

4 — Lost and Found

Author's Note:

Custom-drawn illustration in this chapter.
Enjoy!

Carousel Boutique

Equestria's new resident human wasn't the only one having an awkward morning.

Rarity was in the kitchen, prepping ingredients to make breakfast for herself and her little sister. She hummed a pleasant tune while she cracked a few eggs and poured them onto a sizzling frying pan.

As she was cooking, she heard light hoofsteps coming into the kitchen. She turned her head to the source of the hoofsteps and then back to the pan.

"Aah, good morning, Sweetie Belle."

"Morning, Rarity." yawned the Unicorn filly with a light purple and pink mane and white coat. "What's for breakfast?"

"Sunny Side-Up eggs with toast and fried carrots."

"Again?!" The filly shouted as she took her seat at the dining table. "You make eggs for breakfast, like, 5 days a week! Can't you learn how to cook something else besides eggs? What about tofu sausages?"

Rarity scoffed and turned to her picky sister. "Don't be such a picky eater, Sweetie. These eggs were given to me generously by Applejack. She gives me 2 dozen eggs every week. The least we can do is eat them."

Sweetie Belle groaned in annoyance and leaned her head on her hoof. "Fine. But maybe you could turn down her offer next time? I'm sick of eggs."

While Rarity listened to her sister's whining, she was stirring the carrots and flipping the eggs. "If you want to cook something else, be my guest."

Sweetie Belle simply rolled her eyes, waiting for her disappointment of a first meal of the day. As she waited, she noticed something unfamiliar across the table. Sweetie got off her chair and went around to get a closer look. It was a small rectangular-shaped object that looked like it was made of plastic and metal. one side had glass built into it while the rest of it had what seemed to be a blue, protective cover made out of rubber. "Huh?"

Rarity heard her sister's questionable voice and turned to her once again. She saw her sister was about to touch what she left on the table. In a slight panic, Rarity rushed to grab the unfamiliar object before her sister could. It levitated in Rarity's magic and floated behind her.

"Rarity, what are you hiding?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"Umm..." Rarity was starting to get nervous. She didn't know what it was either. All she knew was that she found it in the human's oversized clothes when she was using them as a reference. She slowly revealed it to the curious filly.

"To be honest, Sweetie Belle, I have no idea what it is. I found it in some strange clothes that I was examining and found this in one of the pockets. But whatever it is, I think I know who can tell us."

"Who?"


Castle of Friendship

After (surprisingly) finishing my hefty breakfast, Starlight escorted me back to my room. No thanks to my minute body, I struggled to get to the last bite. I don't think I'll need anything else to eat today.

"Why don't you try on the new clothes Rarity made you before we go out?" She said.

I gave her a nod and she stepped out of the room to give me some privacy.

I went over to the nightstand where my new clothes were neatly folded and stacked on. I grabbed the first set from the top of the pile and spread them out to get a full view of it. They looked exactly like my old clothes, but small enough now to fit me. I always owned simple clothes with plain colors and shades. I never wore T-shirts because then I'd stand out too much. And I wasn't a fan of attention.

I slipped out of my PJs and folded them neatly onto the bed. I took a precaution and looked around the room and windows to make sure I wasn't being watched. I'm sure none of these ponies would care to see me in my birthday suit, but I beg to differ. Once I knew the coast was clear, I put on my new shirt and trousers. I was glad to see that Rarity also included new socks, but... She didn't include new shoes to go with them.

Maybe I lost my shoes during my descent and now they're somewhere outside. Or maybe Rarity just didn't know how to make shoes. I wouldn't blame her. After all, who ever heard of homemade shoes? Without new shoes, I left the socks paired and put them on top of my PJs. I wasn't exactly comfortable walking outside on a dirt road with nothing protecting my feet. Maybe next time I see Rarity, I'll ask her if she can make me a new pair of shoes. Even sandals would be more than fine for me.

Usually, before I left my home to go somewhere, I always double-checked my pockets to see that I had my wallet, keys, and phone. Unfortunately, I hadn't realized until now that I don't have either of them. Maybe I lost them too. The keys and wallet probably don't matter anymore, but my phone was something I always wanted to have on me at all times.

Oh, well. Beggars can't be choosers.

After I got myself all dressed, I walked towards the door and opened it to see Starlight waiting patiently.

"Wow, that was fast," she said, surprised.

"I'm not the kind of man who keeps a lady waiting. Plus, I don't have shoes."

Starlight just tilted her head, wondering what I meant when I said 'man'. She did however understand my lack of protection for my feet.

"Oh. Well, perhaps we could stop by Rarity's boutique and ask her to make you a pair. Sound good?"

"I was actually thinking that while I was changing. So, yeah, that sounds like a plan."

"Great!" she beamed with excitement, "Let's go, then!"

She lowered herself to the floor, gesturing to me to ride on her back again. I was a little uncomfortable with riding a pony through a town inhabited by... well, ponies. I expect that they would look at me questionably. After all, I'd stick out like a sore thumb (if that phrase actually exists here).

"Zero?"

I was broken out of my trance by Starlight calling my name. I shook my head to stay focused. "Huh?"

"What are you waiting for? Hop on."

"Uhh, well... I appreciate the offer, Starlight, but I'm a little scared."

"Scared? Of what?"

"Well, scared of the reaction I will get from other ponies."

"Oh, don't worry about that. Once they see that you're with me, I'm sure they'll turn a blind eye. Besides, I'll just carry you until your legs are fully healed and we get you a new pair of shoes, okay?"

She made one point clear. Ponies already have nature's shoes; hooves. But I only had soft skin. And from what I saw through my window last night, the ground wasn't exactly the most pleasant to walk on bare feet. I sigh in the defeat of yet another petty argument. Why am I so mediocre with these sorts of discussions?

"Alright, you win," I said as I took a step over Starlight and lowered myself onto her back.

Once I was in place, she stood up and casually walked down the hall. I could always walk on my own, but my legs were too sore to even jog right now.

"I hope I'm not too heavy for you," I said.

"Not at all." she responded "You're as light as a saddlebag."

I smiled at her compliment.


After 5 whole minutes of walking, we finally made it to the entrance door. This castle must be bigger than I thought. Not even mansions take this long to walk through.

Just as we were about to go through the door, we were stopped by a sudden voice from behind.

"Good morning, you two!"

We both turned around to see Twilight with a... purple lizard creature standing next to her.

"Morning, Twilight. I'm just about to show Ze... our guest around town." She said as she briefly looked at me and gave me a wink. I assume she wanted to let me introduce myself.

"You hesitated, Starlight. Is there something you'd like to share with us?" Twilight asked.

"I don't, but he does. He'd like to tell you his new name." Starlight said before lowering herself to let me stand on my own. I wobbled a little as I struggled to stand up straight. I placed a hand on Starlight's back to keep my balance. She then helped me walk slowly towards Twilight and her companion. When close enough, I introduced myself formally.

"Hello." I said, "My name is Zero Fate. It's very nice to meet you. I never got to thank you properly for helping me."

Twilight smiled with glee. "'Zero Fate', huh? That's a very regal-sounding name." She puts a hoof to her chest. "My name is Twilight Sparkle and this is my assistant, Spike."

Spike gave me a brief wave. "Hiya," he greeted, sounding a little confused.

I wave back at him. "Hey," I said, slightly nervous.

There was suddenly an awkward silence with a pure sense of tension between the four of us. I don't even know what to say. Well, shit...

I was then saved from my incompetence by a knock at the front door. We all turn around to face the source of the noise. The noise was then replaced by a familiar voice.

"Twilight~! I'm coming in~!" said the voice in sing-song.

The door creaked open with magic, revealing the beautiful seamstress; Rarity. Boy, was I happy to see her? She appeared to be wearing a saddlebag strapped to her left side.

Standing next to her was a Unicorn filly who looked almost like her, but with a different mane and tail. Wow, she actually looks pretty cute. But as soon as the little filly and I made eye contact, she froze in her tracks and stared at me in shock. Her eyes became so bright and clear, that I could almost stare into her very soul. A faint, pink hue was starting to develop around her cheeks.

...Was I really having that sort of effect on her?

"Morning, Rarity," Twilight said, unbeknown to my self-loathing. "What are you doing here so early? Not that I'm complaining, heh." She asked nervously.

Rarity waved a hoof between her and her friend. "Oh, don't think about it too much, darling. I'm simply here to deliver a lost item."

I look at her curiously. She opens her saddlebag with her magic and pulls out something that I was all too familiar with. She levitates it towards me. "I found this on the old clothes you let me use and thought it might belong to you, sweetie."

I gasped in surprise before I shouted; "My phone!!" I quickly snatched it out of Rarity's magical grasp and hugged it as if it were my baby. "Thank you, thank you, Rarity! I thought I lost it!" I smiled as I looked back at her. She showed me a smile of her own.

"Aww, you're very welcome... uhh..."

"Zero Fate. My new name is Zero Fate."

She appeared to have the same look Twilight had when I told her; fascination and curiosity. "You're very welcome, Zero Fate. I must say, it is a rather strange device. I've never seen anything like it."

"Yeah, me neither." Starlight said.

"Likewise," Twilight said.

"That's because this..." I said as I presented my phone to them, "...is a prime example of Earth's technology. This device is known as a mobile phone, or 'phone' for short. It has a lot of useful functions that'll blow your mind."

Twilight suddenly moved her face barely inches away from mine. She was staring right into my eyes as I was staring into hers. Due to her impossibly larger eyes, it was like I was staring into her soul.

"Tell me everything!" she shrieked really ominously.

She was obviously one of those insane geniuses who would do anything to get their hooves on advanced technology. But I wasn't going to let her take my baby.

She was gently pushed away by another hoof. Starlight turned to face her psycho friend. "Twilight, give Zero his space. If you really want to know more about his phone, don't do it without his consent. It belongs to him, after all."

I was happy that Starlight was defending me, but I patted her withers, signaling her to stop lashing out at Twilight.

"It's okay, Starlight. I don't mind showing her. But I think I'd rather do it after we had our tour."

Starlight turned her head towards me. "Are you sure? We can always have your tour tomorrow. Besides, Rarity's here so we can ask her that favor."

Oh, right. I forgot we were gonna make a detour to Rarity's today. But it looks like she saved us the trouble. The outside world isn't going anywhere and I'm never going to enjoy life if I'm always in a rush. Once again, I'm on the losing end of the argument. Goddammit, this must be some kind of record.

"You have a point there." I sigh in defeat. "Alright, we'll stay here."

"Yay~!" Twilight yelled while jumping up and down. I guess I can't really blame her. I'd probably be acting like her if I was an arm's length away from something new that I want to explore.

"But first..." I continued as I walked toward Rarity. "Rarity, could I please ask you to put something together for me?"

Rarity kept her earlier smile and responded sweetly, "Why of course, Zero darling. What do you need? An extra set of clothes?"

"Not exactly."

I then slowly bend my still-bandaged legs until I ease myself onto the floor. I sat down with my legs spread out in front of me. It wasn't hurting as much anymore.

"You see these?" I asked, gently rocking my feet to draw her attention. She nodded in response. "When you brought me my new clothes, you also made me a pair of socks to go on my feet, remember."

"Yes?"

"Well, could you please make me a pair of enclosed shoes to go around them too?"

"'Enclosed shoes'? Do you mean like boots? I could do that, but I currently don't have any rubber to craft a pair. And it takes 10 weeks minimum for a shipment to arrive after ordering."

"No, not boots. Something a little more, uh... actually, did you find anything around my feet when I crashed here? Maybe you can use those for reference?"

"I'm sorry, dear, but I'm afraid we didn't find anything of the sort. All you had around your feet were your old socks."

I lowered my head in disappointment. "Oh..."

Rarity gently lifted my chin with her hoof, bringing my eyes to her level. "But don't worry. I can always make you something that matches your preferences. I'll just need to take the measurements of your feet."

That made me smile. I leaned forward and gave her a hug. "Thank you, Rarity."

She hugged me back. "It's no trouble at all, dear." After a few more seconds of a tender moment of bonding, we broke our embrace. "And it's a good thing that I brought my measuring tape with me~." She said, raising her voice pitch. She pulled out a fully rolled-up measuring tape and helped me stand up with her magic.

"Well, that's convenient. How about we go somewhere more comfortable? I don't really like sitting on this cold, hard floor. No offense, Twilight."

"Oh, none taken. When you live in a castle made entirely of crystal, how can it not be cold? We had 6 fireplaces built in a while ago just to make this place more liveable."

Wow. 6 fireplaces? I don't think even mansions have that many.

"Anyway...", Twilight continued, "Let's go to my study. I think you'll find it far more luxurious than the floor."

"Sounds good." I mounted Starlight once again and we began our trek to Twilight's study.

"Excellent!" Rarity exclaimed. She then turned to her little sister. "Sweetie Belle, would you like to... w-what?" ...only to find an empty space. "Sweetie Belle? Where did you go?"

The rest of us stopped and turned around at our friend's concerning tone. Her little sister who was standing next to her just a minute ago was no longer there. How did none of us notice?

In a panic, Rarity rushed through the front entrance doors, hoping to see her sister on the other side. At first, all she saw were the townsfolk of Ponyville going about their morning routine in the distance. Ponies were escorting their foals to school, more were setting up their business stalls while others were consummating at those stalls.

But Sweetie Belle wasn't among them.

Rarity looked around in panic. "SWEETIE BELLE! WHERE ARE YOU?!", she yelled.

Before she decided to look elsewhere, she heard a voice nearby.

"I'm... I'm down here."

Rarity looked to her right over the stair guard and saw her precious sibling sitting on the grass with her head lowered and shivering.

"Oh, Sweetie Belle, there you are. I thought something terrible must've happened to you." Rarity said as she descended the stairs and walked around towards her sister. "Why did you wander off like that? Is something troubling you?"

As she approached, she noticed that Sweetie Belle's shivering was not from the low temperature of the castle, otherwise, she wouldn't still be here. Something else was wrong.

Without an immediate response, Rarity sat in front of her and put a hoof to her sister's cheek. Her cheek was surprisingly warm and flushed.

"Sweetie Belle?"

She finally got a response. But not in the form of words. The little filly raised her head to show her face to her big sister. She was blushing a bright red and her eyes turned to hearts. She looked like a puppy that was begging for attention.

"Sweetie, are you feeling ill?

"Rarity...?"

"Yes?"

The nervous-looking filly bashfully faced away.

"I think... I think I have a crush."