• Published 28th Apr 2016
  • 1,643 Views, 43 Comments

Rocky Mountain Dragon - Iron_Cauldron



Changing species and genders was the easy part. Surviving in a world without people and infrastructure, that's going to be a challenge. Luckily, I've had some help to prepare for the long haul. A VERY, long haul.

  • ...
6
 43
 1,643

Chapter 5 - Vacation: Part 1

Author's Note:

Sorry for the long wait. Many events came up in life; one of my jobs is being liquidated, I've been playing a new game, various other things, and anticipation for No Man's Sky has kinda gotten in the way. Along with some recent family issues. All very minor excuses, I know, but I will update more often than I've seen most other author's do in recent months. Much of the content is, again, things I've been conferring with Starscribe about. This chapter was also finished some time ago, but the things above, as well as my ADD got in the way of going back through to edit and post it. I hope you enjoy it! :pinkiehappy:

The train chugged slowly into Ponyville Station, its passengers who were bound for this stop getting their belongings in order for debarkation. Twilight and Spike were two of these passengers. Spike however, was the only one toting a moderately sized box of luggage. The sum total of the items they had taken to Canterlot were in the case, along with some items from Twilight's family, and some small souveniers for her friends.

Stretching the kinks out of his body and getting some satisfying pops, Spike said, "It's great to finally be off that train. I like traveling as much as the next person, but couldn't we have taken a chariot instead Twilight?"

"I prefer to use them as little as possible Spike, convenient or not. I also just like trains." Twilight responded, stretching her legs as well.

"Even if it's only a week," Spike said before yawning, "I'm going to sleep through as much of this vacation as possible. I've been running messages back and forth for months."

Twilight giggled, "Well, you have been paid overtime for working on some weekends, but you're right. I really want to continue working on the spell though."

"Princess Celestia did kinda force you to go, didn't she?"

"In her own gentle way, yes. It's been a while since we've been home, hasn't it?

Spike rolled his eyes, "We've been in Canterlot for almost two years. Since Princess Luna told you about what she discovered, you've only been back to your castle a small hoof-ful of times. Any friendship emergencies that came up on the map for you, were forwarded straight to you, and even then, the other Princesses had to force you to go. Your friends even had to come to the castle to visit you."

"I did take on a lot, since becoming the Princess of Friendship. But I still really want to go back and continue working."

"You need to see your friends too, Twilight!" Spike said, tapping her on the withers. "But first, it's late, and I want to crawl into my long lost basket!!"

"What about the new one in Canterlot?"

"Not as comfy. Or worn in."

Both continued to the castle in silence, setting their luggage in one of the rooms closest to the main entrance. The gifts would be given out when they saw their friends the following morning. The two then set to their pre-bed time routine, cleaning up after a long trip, hydrating themselves, and finally getting some well deserved shut-eye.

*-*-*-*-*-*

The following morning saw Twilight being roused as a mass settled itself over her, blocking some of the light from the windows.

Blearily looking up, "Wha...."

"GOOD MORNING TWILIGHT!!!!"

"Wah!!!!" Twilight screamed, jolting awake. "Pinkie!! Why'd you have to wake me up like that?"

"You were sleeping in later than you normally do silly, so I decided to be an alarm clock to wake you up, so you can get ready for the day, because the girls and me have a loooot planned for you this week, and not a lot of time to do it in, so we plan to spend as much time with you as possible...." Pinkie was muffled in the middle of her speech by a lavender hoof shoved in her mouth.

"Alright Pinkie, I'm awake. I'll meet you in the kitchen after I get ready..." Twilight grogilly responded with a large yawn.

"Okie dokie lokey!! I know!! I'll make you a yummy breakfast for your return trip from Canterlot, with cupcakes, and...." The rest fading off as Pinkie Pie hopped out of the room and down the hall.

"I hope she doesn't make cup-cakes for breakfast..."

--------

On her trek to the kitchen, Twilight's nose caught whiff of something that had her stopping in the middle of the hall, to breathe deeply, and appreciate the scent. And drool a little, "Apple-cinnamon pancakes..."

Beginning to trot, Twilight rounded a corner, only to see all her friends in the kitchen as well, with Applejack at the stove, cooking up the pancakes. On the table was a large array of breakfast items, including but not limited to, apple treats, some gormet breakfast dishes, a bowl of sliced fruit, some toast, and some mixed whole wheat and oats. Bottles of juice, cider, syrup and other dilectable goodies also crowded the table. There was a small plate of about a dozen cup cakes on the table as well, with a pattern across the top, welcoming Twilight home.

"Mornin' Twi! 'Bout time you moseyed on down here. We all just about started without ya." Applejack said, grinning.

"We most certainly wouldn't have started without her Applejack."

"I was just kiddin' Rarity. Take a seat, Twi, pancakes are almost finished. By the way, where's Starlight?"

"She's still in Canterlot. She's using her vacation to sightsee the city with my family. I've spent a few breaks with them, but Spike and I wanted to come home to Ponyville, to see you guys." Eyeing the spread on the table, "Wow, did you guys put this together?" Twilight asked, surveying the whole assembly.

"You bet! We all got some items from home, along with some things we had to visit the market for, but we got this all ready while you were sleeping in." Rainbow beamed, also drooling over the soon-to-be feast, and one of the primary reasons for her to be up and about so early.

Eyeing the clock, Twilight finally noticed that it was after nine-thirty in the morning. A couple hours later than she normally liked to wake up. "I guess I have been working hard on..." She was muffled by a hoof to the mouth.

"No talk of work now Twi, it's breakfast time. I had something to tide me over before comin' over, but I'm starved." Taking a breath, and looking around at her friends, she bellowed, "SOUP'S ON!!!" And with that, everypony began piling their plates with delictibles. Each taking one plate for a small stack of pancakes, and another for other items.

*-*-*-*-*

An hour later, and after much small talk, the friends were relaxing in one of the main living rooms, in the private area of the castle.

"Ooh boy. I'm stuffed!!" Applejack said, patting a rather full looking barrel. Her friends were in similar states, though Fluttershy and Rarity had been a little more reserved in their meals, they still looked a little fuller than normal.

A small belch escaped Rarity's throat, "Oops, excuse me." She daintily replied, to which the others giggled, but slightly moaned, around their full bellies.

Pinkie, looking almost ready to burst said, "Nothing beats a good meal with great friends!"

All was quiet, until Twilight felt that enough time had passed, when she began, "Alright girls, I can sense that there might be a slight ulterior motive to this breakfast feast."

"There's no 'ulterior motive,' darling. We just want to spoil you in the time you're here. We haven't seen much of you in a couple of years."

Unabashedly, Rainbow said, "I might have had one."

Twilight sighed, "What is it?"

Getting animated, Rainbow said, "I tried to sign-up to be on a team to go to the Human world, but I was almost immediately rejected. I was hoping you could pull some strings, to allow me to go!! It's gotta be an awesome place!. At least, from what I've seen."

While shaking her head, Twilight noticed a couple of the others also looking at her through the corners of their eyes, as they 'relaxed,' and enjoyed the after meal tiredness.

"I'm afraid there's nothing I can do girls. You have to remember our role in Equestria. We may not have the Elements anymore, but we're still seen by many in Equestria, and the world over, as the embodiments of the Elements, which we represent. We're too valuable an asset for this nation, and it's citizens. You are also a Wonderbolt-in-training, and you cannot miss practice, or you will be discharged from the team." She looked to Rainbow, and said, "There may be another way you can help those going to Earth though. Many of the ponies going will need some coaches and trainers with certain expertise. All things you girls can offer.

"Rainbow, your knowledge of your capabilities would be a valuable source of knowledge for the ponies going, as they can then use that to teach the Humans-turned-pegasi. You've managed the weather teams here in Ponyville for years, and thus have a very detailed level of experience dealing with the weather.

"Applejack and Pinkie, your knowledge of a number of the aspects of Earth Pony magic, especially in growing things is extraordinary, Your family Applejack, has imparted to you, centuries of experience dealing with plants, nurturing them, and getting more out of them, than most other farms combined. And Pinkie, you're knowledge of rocks and baking, is also a vast reservoir of knowledge..."

Cutting Twilight off, Pinkie interjected, "It's not a 'reservior' silly, it's all in my head!! And my sisters heads, and my parent's heads, and..."

Silencing Pinkie again, Twilight decided she had made her point, and continued, "What I mean girls, is while you may not be able to go to Earth yourselves, you can be a great source of help for Equestria, and the world, in passing on your knowledge of life as a pony to the Earthlings, through the ambassadors."

Some of the others, especially Rainbow groaned. She looked defeated, and depressed at the finality of her rejection for a chance to explore the very interesting alien world.

"I know many of you expecting a chance to go, but there is simply nothing I can do. I would approve, however, of your applying to assist the teams that will be going, but only when you can afford the time. Though, if you really would like to help, I might be able to pull some strings, and get some extra assistance to your respective homes and businesses, to help you families when you're away." Twilight said. Attempting to placate, and slightly lift her friends spirits.

"Well alright darling, since you put it that way. I suppose I could collaborate with other designers in creating books and magazines to help the humans craft basic designs that could be improved upon in the coming years." Rarity proposed.

"I'm sure the Princesses and publishers would be able to help. One of my side projects will include the things they will need to restart their civilization, and make it more applicable to their new forms. We could probably include books on making outfits as we do here. If the rest of you want to as well, write out what you think makes your trades work best, how you maintain productivity, expand when you are able, and offer any advice to be published. We may have to combine them in to several other books that we're creating to include in the 'care package.' We'll try to find a place for everything in my project. Every little bit helps."

Agreements floated around the room, and they all lapsed in to a quiet state, letting their meals digest a little, so they wouldn't be in any pain, when they went on their first excusion, around noon.

---------

It was around eleven-fourty-five, when Spike came bolting out of the dining room, having been snacking on the fruit, and some of his gem stash. He'd woken up a little later in the morning, so he'd missed the bulk of breakfast, and only came down when the others were beginning the clean-up process. They build him a decent plate while he went to get some gems to both crush and sprinkle over his breakfast, and a couple more to eat whole.

He stopped just short of the group, who could see some sparkles from the side of his mouth, telling them that he had really been enjoying his food.

Catching his breath, he held up a scroll with the seal few had been expecting.

"It's from Dragon Lord Ember!!" Twilight explained. Breaking the seal, Twilight read the letter to her friends,

'To Princess Twilight:
I have decided to stop in to Equestria, one to catch up with you, and two, to learn a little more about the project, and pony society. There are some questions I have for you, that I would like to ask you in person, so if you have some free time, I should be arriving only a couple of days after this letter arrives. I look forward to seeing you, Spike, and meeting your friends. I've made some progress with the dragons, and we should have some normal relations in the coming decades, if not centuries. I will be helping all I can along the way, however long it takes.

Best of luck,
Dragon Lord Ember.

All were silent for a moment, until Rarity piped up, "She's coming? Finally? It's only been a little more that two years, and all you've gotten from her are those letters, right Twilight?"

"You have to understand Rarity, she's in a high position of authority in her realm, so she's probably been busy learning about her new job, getting to know who she has to work with, and letting the other dragons know she's now in charge." Fluttershy quietly said.

"I look forward to meeting her again, but she didn't indicate how long she would be here, so we may have to cancel some of the plans, if she can only be here for a day or two. However Rarity, those letters she's managed to send, have been exteremly informative about dragons, and because of them, we've been able to compile a book for those who will be transformed by the spell." Twilight explained.

"There'll be dragons in the spell!?" Spike asked, excitedly.

"Yes, there will be. But not very many at first. Given how strong many of them are and can become, we don't want them overwhelming the world."

Applejack responded, "Does Dragon Lord Ember know that there won't be very many?"

"Yes she's aware, and she's okay with it. She said that those few who appear first will learn their abilities, but shouldn't be overwhelmed. She did want us to include all that we've learned into a book, or books on dragons, along with all of Equestria's previous documented encounters with them. It's not going to be much more than a book or two for all that we'll have learned."

The other's processed the message for a short time, before Pinkie bounced to the center of the group with a huge smile. "Alright girls, it's time for some activities in town!! First item on the docket, the SPA!!"

"Spike, are you coming with us?" Rarity asked, when she noticed he'd turned back to the door of the castle.

"Nope. I have to catch up on some of my comics, and just relax. You guys have fun. I might join in some time this week, just not today. I need to rest some more. Thanks though!" He replied with a smile.

"Suit yourself, and try to not have too much fun!" She replied with a wink.

With that, the six best friends embarked on a day of fun, catch-up, gossip, and what best friends like them do. Have even more fun.