• Published 27th Apr 2016
  • 12,231 Views, 425 Comments

A Growing Fire In My Heart - Rated Ponystar



A series of short chapters that show the growth of Ember and Spike's feelings as time goes on

  • ...
26
 425
 12,231

Chapter 7

Ember didn’t think she would have so much fun at a party for ponies, but she was having the time of her life. When Spike told her Pinkie Pie was an extraordinary party planner, he wasn’t kidding. The games were fun, if a bit childish, the food was satisfactory, with some really tasty gem-like deserts that the dragons had to have the recipes for, and best of all, she was spending time with her best friend in the world.

Once the ponies saw Ember mingling and enjoying herself, the fear and caution that they had seemed to slip away. They started introducing themselves, asking questions, and even competing against her in games. “I didn’t imagine things would go so well,” said Ember as she ate another slice of ruby and sapphire chocolate cake. “Nor did I think I’d find my new favorite snack here.”

She wasn’t the only one as Aquafire had finally managed to taste chocolate and was already having her sixth helping of it. In fact, even her guards were enjoying themselves with the pony guards such as comparing the differences in their duties and sharing adventures. Spike looked around, seeing the interaction alongside her, before giving her a big smile. “I told ya this town would accept dragons.”

“Guess you were right again,” chuckled Ember. “I should learn to stop betting against you.”

“It was really great of you to come, Ember,” said Spike as he and Ember walked around the party floor, accepting thanks and well wishes. “In fact, meeting you here helps my cause a lot more.”

“Cause?” asked Ember.

“Well, awhile ago, I went to the Crystal Empire and met a changeling,” Spike answered and quickly raised his claw. “Relax, he’s a friendly one. It took some persuasion, and a few crazy events, but he became accepted among the crystal ponies. Later on, he helped save Equestria with some other friends of mine from Queen Chysalis and is now the leader of his people.”

“Is he here?” asked Ember, looking around. She had never seen a changeling before, but she had heard of them. Due to the size of the average dragon it was hard for them to change into their shape and size. That didn’t stop them from invading into lands to steal their treasures from time to time. While most of her advisors would caution against meeting such a creature, if Spike said he was good then Ember was willing to give him a chance.

“Sadly no, he’s busy at the Crystal Empire helping build relations with the crystal ponies,” sighed Spike. “But he did give me a nice present and promises to visit soon.”

“You seem to make friends with everyone, huh?” asked Ember with an amused look as a blush appeared on Spike’s cheeks.

“Well, when you live with the Princess of Friendship it kinda rubs off on ya,” answered Spike. He then looked into the direction of the dance floor where the DJ was playing a remix song that had everypony shaking their tail or stomping on the floor in sweaty yet energetic fun. “So, you wanna dance?”

Ember froze upon hearing those words. “D-dance?”

“Yeah, something wrong?” asked Spike.

Rubbing the back of her neck, Ember let out a great big sigh. “I... I’m not a good dancer... it was one of those things that I... have a few embarrassing memories of...”

“Well, at least you got to dance with other dragons. Trying to dance on two feet while most of your partners have four is kinda hard,” chuckled Spike before he took Ember’s claw with his own. “Come on, it will be fun.”

Despite her brain telling her not to do it, she couldn’t help but look into those green, pleading eyes that held such warmth. A small smile decorated her lips. “Alright, just for a bit though.”

She was nearly dragged into the floor where Spike managed to find a place for them that had decent space. He stared off by shaking his hips around with his arms raised in front of him, moving them left to right while his tail flipped to the beat. Ember follow suit with her head bobbing up and down while her tail did the same.

They exchanged simple, yet fun, moves until the music suddenly changed to that of a slow tune. Both Spike and Ember froze upon hearing it and looked around to see a few pony couples holding hooves and dancing to the soft song that was playing. Ember could feel her scales turning red from embarrassment as she turned to the corner of her eye where she could see Blitz and Aquafire snickering at the sight with Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, and Twilight Sparkle.

Oh, if I find out this was intentional...

“Heh, guess we better go with the flow, huh?” asked Spike, rubbing his toes in the ground with a shy smile.

“I guess...” Ember whispered as the two dragons inched closer and held claws. Ember tried to remember what she was supposed to do next, but before she could react Spike was already two steps ahead of her.

He placed her claw on his shoulder while he placed his around her waist. Their free claws were intertwined and pointing outward as Ember looked down at the smiling dragon. “Since I got more experience, I’ll lead. Just relax.”

Ember nodded and allowed Spike to take control of the dance. The two of them slowly moved across the floor, the music guiding Spike as the two dragons stood taller than most of the other ponies. For Ember, all she could do was keep staring at those big, green, and excited eyes. As they continued to dance nothing else seemed to matter in the world but the two of them.

But all good things come to an end.

Spike’s eyes turned away from her just as the song ended, as well as the dance, and his eyes grew with even more excitement. “Rarity!” he shouted as his touch left Ember and broke her out of the mood. She watched with confusion and then with slightly opened eyes as he hugged a white unicorn with saddlebags. A hug she had only seen him give to her originally.

It took her a few moments to recognize this was the unicorn that had accompanied Spike to the Dragon Lord summoning. The dressmaker one named Rarity.

“I didn’t think you would make it with you still being in Manehatten and all,” said Spike with joy in his tone.

“Oh, how could I miss my favorite Spike-Wikey’s birthday,” she said nuzzling his cheek.

For some reason, Ember clenched her claw and slowly made her way out of the dancing area as the two friends talked. She needed some punch.

Author's Note:

Jealously Time!