• Published 29th May 2016
  • 693 Views, 12 Comments

Safe Haven - Riku006



How can one overcome change, when they must change everything that defines who they are to succeed?

  • ...
1
 12
 693

5th: Talk of the Town

“Tell no one of this, but… I’m worried.”

Despite knowing she wouldn’t get a response, Chrysalis thought it cathartic speaking to Synthea like this. Rarely had she ever had someone to confide in like this. At least, someone she trusted.

“To think,” she half-heartedly laughed, “that I, a queen capable of deceiving an entire kingdom, am terrified of…” Chrysalis couldn’t finish, sighing as she looked back at Synthea for answers that wouldn’t come. “The one time I wish for your counsel, I’m denied. It figures, given my fortunes lately.”

The halfling remained unconscious in her bed, though Bypass had assured her Synthea would be fine. Bypass had also looked over the queen earlier in the day, bandaging her hooves and finally removing the cast her left foreleg had been trapped in. In response, Chrysalis had insisted on watching over Synthea rather than stew and worry in the guest house.

The compassion had felt awkward for Chrysalis to deal with, but that was now being displaced by concerns over her own fate. While she had been by Synthea’s side, High Charity had been out of the house; meeting with ponies and changelings while setting up the town meeting that she was the focus of. With the stars now blinking into view across the night’s sky, the bedroom flickered in the light of the one candle Chrysalis had lit. She felt the room’s main light could’ve disturbed the sleeping halfling, though she had to admit it also made it easier to hide from the townsponies.

The sound of the door gently opening revealed High Charity waiting for her, a burgundy jacket worn along with his trademark blue scarf. He kept his face optimistic but Chrysalis could sense his apprehension, regardless of how well he masked his emotions.

“There’s no hope of achieving a desirable solution, is there?” She softly asked, standing to meet him. A sigh Chrysalis wasn’t hoping to see emerged, yet when he opened his eyes again High Charity’s gaze had a sense of purpose, a feeling of power she could just taste. Probably tasted like his iron will, for it was strong.

“I’ll admit this’ll be one of our more… interesting meetings,” he answered in the same hushed tone. “But let’s not jump to conclusions just yet. While I might not have been as successful with you, I’m quite the charmer when given the chance.” Chrysalis rolled her eyes at this before sparing a moment to look back on Synthea’s peacefully slumbering form. A hoof rested on her shoulder brought her attention back to High Charity. “She’ll be fine. I’ll send Bypass up to check on her straight after the meeting.”

“Thank you.” She sighed, stepping out of the bedroom and following her host back to the entrance of the house. Just before stepping off the stairs High Charity took flight, his horn glowing to reveal a secret staircase continuing down through the floor.

He took the lead now, his horn illuminating the path as the opening closed behind Chrysalis. They continued down the spiralling staircase for a few minutes before entering what appeared to be a stage. The size of it surprised Chrysalis, and to her left she could see sets for plays as well as tables and equipment that wouldn’t look out of place in more grandiose theatres. To their right was an emerald curtain, from behind which Chrysalis could hear the gathered townsfolk talk before the meeting began. Their emotions were a jumbled, near-overwhelming mess from the base of the stairs. But from what she could gather at this distance, her fears seemed to be rapidly solidifying into fact.

“Don’t worry,” High Charity reassured her. “Just focus on something else for a moment. I’ll be back in a second.”

Chrysalis nodded and as he trotted towards the curtain, she looked around the backstage area. She looked over the stage equipment, her worries intermingling with painful memories as she saw replica suits of royal guard armour and prop environs resembling the ivory towers of Canterlot. I can’t escape it, can I?

“Alright,” High Charity spoke up, interrupting her internal worrying. “I’ll get everyone settled and then we’ll get started. Just be honest and don’t… unnecessarily antagonise anyone, okay?”

With a nod from the queen, High Charity stretched his neck, rolled his shoulders and, with a calming breath, stepped through the curtain. “Forecast,” he called out. “This everyone?”

“Anyone not here is on patrol,” a gruff voice answered, the conversation bringing with it an organised hush over the crowd.

“Good. Evening everyone. Sorry for the late notice but I feel we needed to address tonight’s issue sooner rather than later. But before we get to that, I thought I’d let you all know that Synthea’s doing fine and she should make a full recovery.” The statement brought a wave of relief and glad murmurings from the crowd, so much so that it almost drowned out the anger Chrysalis felt earlier. Almost.

“Well,” High Charity went on. “With that out of the way, we may as well get down to business.” He then turned back to the curtain. “Chrysalis? Could you come out please?”

Chrysalis froze. Her fears were holding her in place, roaring at her to stay hidden. She could almost hear the changeling she used to be hissing in her ears. Run, it said. This is your last chance. If you go out there they’ll flay you! No matter what is said you’ll never be given a chance. Flee! Remake the Hive once more and strike at Equestria again!

“No.” She murmured to herself. It was that kind of thinking that landed her in this situation in the first place, that landed Synthea in this mess. Furthermore, what self-respecting changeling Hive would follow a queen that ran from something as mundane as a town meeting? Her pride would never let her live it down. Shaking her head to chase the thoughts away, she took a deep breath and stepped through the curtain.

The hall of this stage was twice as big, revealing to Chrysalis exactly how much of the hill had been hollowed out to make it. The roof was almost completely by the roots of the tree that made the majority of High Charity’s home, and from them hung lit lanterns that bathed the cavern in a golden hue. The exit stood on the far side of the hall from the stage, a ramp assumedly leading to the surface, and there was a single aisle running down the middle of the crowd to the stage. The townsfolk were seated in simple wooden pews, though there were pegasi, changelings and halflings that had chosen to hover close to the curved earthen ceiling instead. One of those hovering, she noticed, was the young Steel Wing, his gaze of disgust and hatred out for all to see. He wasn’t alone in this. The moment she stood beside High Charity, nearly all brows furrowed and the air in the hall was saturated in so much rage that it became a little unbearable.

A gagging cough from High Charity caught everyone’s attention, and this brought to Chrysalis’ keen eye that other changelings, and even a few halflings, weren’t looking too good or trying to calm their neighbours down. Some had success, others didn’t. But the mood softened enough to not literally suffocate on hatred.

“Well, that’s… one way to start a meeting.” High Charity quipped as he composed himself, though few bothered to laugh genuinely. “Anyway, as you know; Chrysalis has been recovering here for the past couple of weeks now. And…” High Charity drew the word out. “She has decided she wants to stay here, to learn to live as we have.” For a few seconds, there was shocked silence, everyone staring at either one of the two changelings on stage.

Then the shouting started.

“Are you mad?!”

“What makes you think she won’t stab us in the back?!”

“I’d rather trust Tirek than her!”

That last one stung more than most, and Chrysalis noted it was Steel Wing that yelled it. Nevertheless, the majority of the crowd looked ready to swarm the stage and give her their brand of justice. High Charity merely frowned, not taking a single step back in the face of this hostility. Chrysalis, weakened as she was, now wished she could borrow such strength. Her survival instincts were once again screaming at her to flee, but she just scrunched her eyes shut and kept focussing on Synthea told her.

But that’s because they don’t know you yet, and you haven’t given them the chance to know you either. The only way you’re going to change that image is if you let them in.

Opening her eyes again, she was about to try placate the crowd when she noticed High Charity lift his right hoof high, surrounded by the green glow of his magic. He then swiftly brought it down to the stage, the boom loud enough to silence the mob. Most of them looked scared at their leader, a mixture of worry and uncertainty flowing off of those gathered.

“Really?” He asked, the annoyance clear to hear if one wasn’t able to sense it. “We’ve had changelings come here before, with shady pasts behind them, and not once did we ever act like they were a plague.”

“But she’s a criminal,” shouted an earth pony mare from the back answered. “She tried overthrowing the princesses!”

“I’m well aware of her crimes,” High Charity shot back, his gaze locking onto the mare. “And I will admit she’s even gotten on my nerves at times. But she no longer wants to be that changeling. She wants to change.”

“What about her leading Synthea into the woods?” The one asking this time was a halfling near the front to the left. “She tried to kill her!”

“Synthea followed her into the woods of her own free will, and I’d like to remind you all it’s because of Chrysalis Synthea came back alive. We owe her a chance.”

“You’re lying!” Steel Wing shouted indignantly. “She’s brainwashed you, hasn’t she?” The look High Charity shot the feisty pegasus could have frozen Tartarus itself, and Chrysalis was glad she wasn’t on the end of it.

“Steel Wing, you’re forgetting the whole reason our town was founded in the first place; as a place of refuge, where ponies and changelings alike can live together in peace. If you’re so Tartarus-bent on demonizing Chrysalis and portraying her as a threat, I’ll have to ask you to leave.”

“But if she’s strong enough to overpower Princess Celestia, how safe can any of us be with her in the town?” The fiery youth shot back, eliciting murmurs from the crowd.

“Well,” a new voice spoke up, and Chrysalis felt a small wave of relief to see Bypass getting out of his chair with a buzz of his wings to join them on the stage. “Having assessed her injuries and her medical state since she arrived, I can safely say Chrysalis is no threat to us at all.

“You all remember those lights in the sky a few nights ago?” Portions of the crowd murmured and nodded their heads. “Well that was Chrysalis casting an incredibly powerful changeling spell, one that requires vast amounts of magic. Given she had little magic left in her before she cast it, it’s a miracle Chrysalis has any magic left at all. I’d say that, right now, she only has enough magic to shapeshift. Anything else would be quite painful for her to cast.” Bypass then turned to face Chrysalis. “So, unless you’re practising your shapeshifting you’re not to even think of using magic. Am I clear?” Chrysalis simply nodded, being the centre of the attention mixed with Bypass’ firm tone silencing her immediately.

“Just so all of you know,” the physician raised his voice, addressing the crowd once more. “When I went to check up on Synthea earlier today, I was going to tend to Chrysalis’ injuries as well, but she insisted Synthea be checked on first. Just thought I’d pass that along.” Checking how everyone was feeling, Chrysalis nearly faltered in hiding the smirk from the stunned silence and partial shame caused by Bypass’ words.

With that, and a wink to Chrysalis and a nod to High Charity, Bypass turned and walked through the curtain, no doubt taking the shortcut to check on Synthea again.

Emotions as controlled as ever, High Charity then cast his gaze back over the rest of the crowd. “Most of you can tell whether Bypass or I were lying or not, but if you want proof, let’s hear it from Chrysalis.” Chrysalis then found herself in High Charity’s sights, though thankfully it had softened somewhat. “Floor’s yours. Tell them the truth.” As High Charity stepped aside, Chrysalis took a few deep breaths to calm herself down and stepped forward. All eyes were on her once again, though the hatred had certainly died down. Now there was mostly suspicious curiosity, despite the lingering animosity of those like Steel Wing.

“What High Charity said is true,” she began, imploring to those that could sense her emotions that this was the truth. “I know I’ve done terrible things, things that don’t deserve forgiveness. I don’t begrudge you for feeling as you do.

“But Synthea… she didn’t care about that. She gave me a chance, whether I deserved it or not. Despite my ignorance, she wanted nothing more than to help me be better.” Chrysalis paused, gauging the feel of the room. There was a genuine curiosity in the room now, most of it she noted was coming from changelings and halflings, though a few ponies also seemed focussed on what she was saying. There were still those that were silently fuming, but their number had significantly decreased. She took this as a good omen.

“Synthea also made me realise something. I cannot expect you all to trust me if I don’t allow myself to trust each of you. I will stumble as I learn, that much I know is true. But,” She said as something stirred inside her, filling her words with the strength they lacked before. “She told me that the future is an unknown, frightening prospect. But that it is ours to change.” The queen spared a glance back at a smiling High Charity, exuding the powerful taste of pride. “We only require the courage to change it.”

She turned back to the crowd. “I will be brave enough to face this change. All I ask is for your assistance in this challenge. Please, help me change into someone better.”

With that, Chrysalis finished, her insecurity returning slightly as the crowd looked at her, silently contemplating her words. Extending her senses, she could feel a lot of them were now deep in thought, their anger replaced with uncertainty.

“Well,” a familiar voice drawled from the middle of those gathered. “If you’re stayin’ here, then Ah guess Ah’d best git on wit buildin’ ya a house o’ your own.” The crowd looked to see the large Timberjack stand, place his hat back atop his head and head for the exit.

“T-Timberjack,” an unsure unicorn stallion sitting nearby spoke up, raising a pale blue hoof in surprise. “You… you believe her just like that?”

“'Course.” He said over his shoulder with a smile, a calm happiness at complete odds to the meeting’s beginning flowing off of him. “Charity hasn’t given us a reason to doubt him yet. Ah don’t see why he’d start now.” With a wave to the two changelings on the stage, Timberjack trotted off without a care, past a dour looking pegasus stallion near the exit. Chrysalis turned to High Charity, but stopped when she saw him shaking his head with a smile.

“No point stopping him,” he chuckled. “Once Timberjack focusses on something, he’s stubborn as a mule. Besides, he has a point. If you’re going to be a member of this community, you really shouldn’t be taking up a guest house.” He then turned back to the uncertain crowd, gaining their attention once more. “That just leaves one last item on the agenda. Since Chrysalis will be living here, she’ll need a job. So, anyone needing an extra pair of hooves?”

Uncertainty and nervousness returned as the main flavours in the air as ponies, changelings and halflings alike either pondered, scratched the back of their manes or looked at equally unsure faces. Just as Chrysalis’ hopes were starting to ebb, a gruff voice spoke over the murmuring.

“I’ll take her if no one will.” Chrysalis looked up, as did the crowd, to the back of the room. There stood the navy-blue pegasus, a firm look in his eyes as he lifted off with a flap of his wings towards the stage.

“You’re sure Forecast?” High Charity asked, he himself sounding a little surprised.

Forecast shrugged. “It’s not like anyone else’s jumping for her, and you know I’ll take all the extra hooves I can get.” A glance above showed Steel Wing, who had been stunned into silence by everyone’s reactions no doubt, was about to protest once more. Said protest died in his throat as Forecast levelled an intimidating side glance at the young buck. “And Steel Wing, if I so much as hear one complaint, you’re on night border watch every night for a month. Understood?” This shut him up fast, turning sharply away before dashing out of the room.

As he touched down, Chrysalis now got a chance to look over Forecast closer. A silver mane and tail, both kept short in what appeared a military style, complimented his coat. His light blue eyes were sharp, his body kept fit and a dark grey shield with crossing lightning bolts in-front of it emblazoned on his flank.

“Well,” High Charity said with a smile to the crowd. “I guess that’s all for this meeting then. Sorry for interrupting your night everyone. I’ll probably see most of you tomorrow at some point. Goodnight.” With that the crowd began to head for the exit, though there were quite a few that came up to the stage to bashfully apologise. Chrysalis noticed many of them were changelings and halflings, but there was the odd pony saying sorry as well. Soon enough, it was just the changelings and pegasus on stage remaining in the chamber.

“Well?” Forecast asked, his tired voice startling Chrysalis. “You want the job or not?”

Chrysalis spared a glance at High Charity before answering. “And… what job would I be doing?”

“Depends on who else is working and other factors.” he replied quickly. “Point is, I’m offering you work. You want it or not?”

“Uh…” Chrysalis stammered before shaking off her surprise at the offer and bowing her head. “I will, thank you. I promise to work hard.”

“You’d better,” Forecast grumbled before taking off again. “Meet me by the watchtower at midday tomorrow. And don’t be late. High, I’ll see you tomorrow.” With a nod from the changeling leader, the gruff pegasus flew out of the chamber. Chrysalis released a breath she wasn’t aware she was holding.

“Don’t mind him,” he said with a tired smile. “Forecast might be a grump, but he’s one of the most dedicated workers Safe Haven has.”

“And what work did I just sign up for?” She asked as the two heading through the curtain and back towards the stairwell.

“Forecast runs both Safe Haven’s weather team and border patrol. Since you can’t manipulate clouds you’ll most likely be doing the later.”

“And that entails?”

“Making sure no beasts or suspicious ponies stumble into town, and if they do, either expelling or pacifying them. How do you think you were found so quickly during your Whitetail Wood excursions?”

Chyrsalis nodded at this as the two re-entered the entrance hall of his house. “But… my injuries-”

“Will be taken into consideration.” High Charity finished. “Forecast might have a reputation as a slave driver, but he’s not cruel. I bet he’ll mostly have you on scouting duties or partnered with someone else for your first day.”

The conversation halted when four ears swivelled to the stairs, where the two of them saw Bypass hovering in the stairwell.

“There you two are,” he said, the urgency flowing off of him instantly replaced by relief and happiness. “Synthea’s awake.”

It took the two changelings a second to process this before both flew up the stairs, past Bypass and land at the open door, where they looked inside. There lay Synthea, her eyes barely open as she looked back at them.

“Daddy?” she croaked, her voice coarse.

“Synthea!” High Charity was by the side of her bed in an instant. “I’m here sweetie.” Pure joy flooded off of him as he sat and took one of her hooves in his.

“W-What happened?” The halfling mare asked trying to prop herself up, only for High Charity to ease her back down.

“You did a stupid thing,” he said, yet not a hint of disapproval or condescension escaped him. Nothing but joy and love, strong enough that Chrysalis couldn’t help but lick the air for a brief second to taste that glorious emotion. “You did a brave, kind, stupid thing. But you’re back home, safe and sound.” High Charity then turned to look at the door. “Thanks to Chrysalis.”

Synthea’s gaze followed her fathers and her eyes widened when they met the changeling queens. “You… You stayed?” Chrysalis nodded, moving to sit by the bed as High Charity moved out of the way.

“I owe you a debt for saving me,” she answered, forcing down any feelings of embarrassment to look the halfling in the eye. “And I intend to stay until I see it repaid.” Despite her weary state, honey-coated joy flowed from Synthea as she shone a tearful smile at Chrysalis.

“You don’t owe me anything Chrysalis. However… there might be one thing you can do for me.”

“Yes?” Chrysalis leaned forward. “What is it?” Synthea slowly raised her hoof before lightly poking her on the muzzle.

“Be my friend.” With that, Synthea’s head lay back into the pillow, her eyes closing as she returned to sleep with a smile on her face. Chrysalis looked at her for a moment more in stunned silence.

Until, that was, a small, genuine smile spread across the queen’s muzzle. Chrysalis hid her mouth with a hoof to stifle the chuckling.

“…Yes,” Chrysalis finally answered, returning the favour and delicately poking Synthea’s nose in kind. “Yes, I accept.”

Comments ( 2 )

D'awwww~ Go Chryssie go!

Nice to see people being more accepting of her.

Still hoping her magic will eventually recover.

Hugs for the hug bug!

This is a very interesting story concept and I love what you did with the characters here.

Unfortunately, it seems this story has been abandoned. I do hope you will continue it soon!

Login or register to comment