• Published 30th Apr 2016
  • 4,364 Views, 268 Comments

MLA: Perihelion - Starscribe



Living in Equestria proves to be more dangerous for Second Chance than she could've possibly imagined. Now an old enemy has followed her from an Earth destroyed by war. Can she save Equestria from suffering the same fate?

  • ...
14
 268
 4,364

Epilogue

“Well.” Second Chance looked over the wreckage with gradually watering eyes. Twilight had told her on the way that “the library wasn’t in good shape,” but she hadn’t expected this. It was as though the very hand of God had swept down and burned the building from Equis.

Gone were the solar panels, gone was her bedroom and the generator out back. The ground around their lot was still littered with books, with covers in various stages of decomposition.

Without a word exchanged, Chance leaned up against Twilight, with Spike doing the same from the other side. They stood alone on the street for a few seconds, sharing a few tears and a great deal of solidarity.

All around them, the rest of Ponyville was a little better off, though little of it was undamaged. The little town had been briefly occupied, after all. The sound of hammers and construction was all around them. Ponyville’s citizens had sympathetic glances for them, but… they were not the only ones to suffer this way.

“My brother—” From above her, Twilight sniffed, her body still tense. “He said he and Cadance—sorry, Princess Cadance. They’ve already sent some of the Crystal Empire’s best engineers.” She gestured vaguely towards the edge of town. “Already got a spot picked out. They said they were going to take this opportunity to build me a proper castle.”

Chance felt her shiver, and she looked up. “You don’t want them to?”

“I…” Twilight looked down, obviously forcing a smile. “I want the Golden Oak Library back. But an enchanted tree like this takes hundreds of years. Applejack’s grandmother planted this one actually, during Ponyville’s founding festival.” She sighed. “And there aren’t any spells to put it back together, either. I searched Canterlot’s entire library.”

Chance leaned briefly against her again. “Sorry, Mom.” She frowned down at her little saddlebags, stuffed with the accolades of their adventure. Sweetie Belle had her family, or at least Rarity and the Boutique. Where would home be for Chance? Didn’t castles take generations to build?

“You think the basement’s okay?” Of course, Chance didn’t just ask out of academic interest. Truth’s power had run out, but he had been running for several days after Tirek’s invasion finally ended, manipulating what remained of the drones and Tower hardware. Between him and the princesses returning to their power, there had been no incidents of violence with what remained of the “Great Pack.”

A few of the “squires” had even been allowed to stay, using their powerful armor and new knowledge in service of Equestria. With their knight gone, they couldn’t find any other masters worthy of service besides the princesses he had apparently loved in life.

“Oh!” Twilight’s smile looked genuine this time. “That sounds plausible! I’ve read basements often survive hurricanes and other disasters. I should’ve checked that earlier!”

Chance opened her mouth to say she had known this whole time, then closed it again. She didn’t actually know what condition the basement was in, only that Truth had survived. That didn’t really prove anything, seeing as Truth had survived the fantastic forces of the universal gulf. Fire magic probably wouldn’t even scratch him.

Even without the magic of all Equestria’s Alicorns, Twilight’s power was impressive. Chance watched from behind her, as a great wave of dust and rubble blasted away to either side, clearing a path all the way to the entrance. With a grunt of effort Twilight shoved against a pile of charred wood and branches, and they exploded out of their way. She blasted upward, scattering ruined furniture and piles of burned books until she had cleared the way to the basement door.

It was still there, charred black. As she swung it open, the door fell sideways off its hinges, landing with a crash at their hooves. Twilight tensed all over, brushing the dust off her chest with a little wave of magic. “You two wait here.” She gestured at the doorway. “If it looks safe, I’ll call.”

“You’re a pony, Twi!” Spike protested. “No rubble’s gonna be able to hurt a dragon! I should do it.”

“Maybe.” Twilight shrugged. “But you can’t teleport if the ceiling caves in.”

Spike looked like he might argue. Instead he just nodded. “That’s fair.”

“I’ll see you two in a minute.” Twilight turned, flicking the light switch. Nothing happened. She grunted, her horn starting to glow as she made her way down. The little flicker of lavender light vanished around the corner, leaving them alone in the wreckage.

“How was getting foalnapped?” Spike asked, conversationally. “More fun the second time?”

She shoved him in response, glaring. “I dunno.” She shoved again. “Was that more fun the second time?”

“I’m not sure.” Spike stuck his tongue out… but seemed to think better of escalating further. “How’d you save Canterlot, exactly? I may’ve been dozing a little during the medal ceremony.”
Chance glanced briefly back at her saddlebags—they had been through her whole adventure, through the kidnapping, and now apparently held her only surviving possessions.

Holy crap losing a house was awful. She hadn’t even remembered it the first time, with everything else she had lost that day. “Sweetie Belle got the shield down with her singing. Well… Lyra and I tried to help, but neither of us had magic, so…”

Spike nodded, any trace of amusement gone. “Yeah.” There was nothing funny about the kind of suffering they had seen. Some ponies drained, the ones Tirek had taken from the other tribes after leaving the changeling hideout, had been weakened and left in the elements to die. Some of them had.

“Well…” She lowered her voice. “You gotta keep this between us, but we didn’t know the leader of the diamond dogs was planning on capturing Canterlot for herself.”

“She… she what?”

Chance nodded. “Celestia didn’t want that part getting out… With as weak as Equestria already looks to its neighbors, letting the news get out that we were conquered twice in the same week would be really bad.”

Chance shivered, imagining the harsh deserts of the dragon lands and the fearsome creatures who lived there. She imagined the huge griffons with their airships and gunpowder, or the minotaurs said to enter battle rages and fight until they died. Would Equestria’s neighbors see this as their invitation to try what Tirek and his changeling allies had tried?

If they did, it wouldn’t be because of her. She kept her voice down. “Anyway, because the dogs didn’t actually hurt anypony or fight other cities, it wasn’t that hard to keep quiet. I don’t really know what her plan was. Truth and I tricked her into letting us…” How the heck was she supposed to explain systems penetration to a fire-breathing dragon with no concept of computers? “Break all her machines. We did some computer magic, and that was that. Without their leaders, or any of their machines… they thought it was a bad idea to fight Celestia and Luna in their own city.”

“Makes sense.” Spike looked awed. “Glad you had more luck than we did. Getting tricked by evil changelings must run in the family or something.” He rolled his eyes, though his grip was suddenly tense, one claw digging into the wood of the entryway. There was more fear there than he let on.

“Was she evil?” Unlike Spike, Chance had payed attention to every part of that ceremony. “Didn’t she reveal herself? Refuse to hurt a princess, and… tell Twilight where to find the place the changelings were…” She whimpered, unable to continue. She’d had nightmares about that place the last two nights in a row.

Spike nodded. “Still seems pretty evil what she did.” He kicked angrily at the side of the library. “Pretending to be you… lying to ponies… guards died when changelings took Ponyville during that dumb plot.”

Chance took another few moments to recover enough to speak. “Well, how was it like? Didn’t the princesses put Twilight in charge of all Equestria’s Alicorn magic?”

“Yeah!” His expression brightened. “You should’ve seen her. She didn’t say a word to anypony at first… something about that being even worse or whatever. But she was a nervous wreck!” He made a gesture with both claws over his head, which Chance recognized immediately as imitating Twilight’s mane. It wasn’t the first time he had done it for her.

“Blowing up doors, teleporting all over Equestria, shooting through the sky faster than Rainbow Dash… I’m sure she probably wrote a few books in there somewhere. Guess they exploded with the rest of them.” He sighed, slumping sideways against the wall.

“Maybe… we won’t be in a tiny little closet in the new house?” she offered, forcing a smile. “You might even be able to persuade Twilight to give us our own rooms. If the engineers haven’t planned everything yet.”

Spike nodded, face brightening a little. “That does sound nice. Not that… Not that I didn’t have tons of fun sharing!” He grinned with embarrassment. “But dragons grow up slower than ponies. Soon you’ll be too old to share. You’ll want your own space, somewhere to share with your ‘special somepony’ or whatever.”

Chance shoved him again, a little harder than last time. “Not a chance.”

“Say that all you want.” Spike glanced down, a little wistful. “I already saw it happen once. Twilight and I grew up together, but… now she’s all grown up, and I’m still…” He gestured at the wall. “Not. So unless you plan on being an Alicorn before you grow up…”

“I doubt that.” She grinned. “I don’t think I’d make a very good princess.”

“Looks safe!” Twilight’s voice echoed from below, audible only because of Chance’s sensitive pony hearing. “Looks like we won’t have to do the inn after all!”

Chance smiled weakly, then lit up her own horn with gray magic, leading the way down into the basement.

* * *

It was just before sunset that Second Chance found herself alone outside the ruin of her home. She was covered with dirt and grime, smearing up her legs from her vain exploration. She stared at the crater her home had been, a pile of melted solar-panels crumbled in front of her beside the burned wreckage of a book she thought had been her diary.

It was hard to be sure aside from the cover, which beneath the ash was the same shade as the one Twilight had given her a year ago. Little of her life had survived. Not the lovingly-made dresses, not the stuffed doll of a human girl she had sewed with Sweetie Belle’s help, not the (many) books Twilight Sparkle had given her. It was all gone.

“Wish the same damn thing didn’t keep happening to me,” she muttered to nobody, kicking at the ash with one hoof. She had given up trying to stay clean hours ago, and at this point she hardly noticed the grime. The acrid stench of fire burned at her nostrils, permeating every ruin and surviving relic. Not the petroleum stench of a human structure—almost like a campfire. Ponies used very little that wasn’t natural, so she was spared that stench at least.

Chance didn’t turn around at the sound of hoofsteps behind her, and she didn’t much care to. Twilight Sparkle had her own grief, probably even worse than what she felt. Some parts of this process had to be conquered alone. She wasn’t sure how long it would take her to recover. Hopefully not as long as last time; she didn’t have a big sister to help.

At least her new family had all come through this intact. Some families in Equestria weren’t so lucky tonight.

“Excuse me?” It wasn’t Spike or Twilight’s voice, not with such a reedy male voice and thick accent. “This is the library, right?”

“Pardon our dust during the renovations, Pipsqueak.” She didn’t have to turn around to recognize that voice. Were it not for the ash all around her, she probably would’ve smelled him too. “Ponyville’s library will be returning better than ever in one to six months.” She dropped her head into her hooves, moaning faintly.

“I guess there’s no point returning these then.” Something dropped onto the ground beside her—a bundle of twine with several books tightly wrapped inside.

Chance looked, glancing briefly at the titles. Fairly advanced books—not at all what she would have expected from a colt shorter than she was. “I’m sure Twilight will be thrilled you had these.” She rose to her hooves, levitating the bundle off the ground and blowing the dust and ash from the lowest book on the pile. “Three books for the new library.”

Pip stood there as she unwrapped them, shifting nervously on those white and brown hooves of his. He looked like he wanted to say something, but she didn’t try to figure out what it might be.

“Hmm.” She levitated each one into the basket beside her one at a time, beside the handful of other intact books she had managed to find. Every item on the pile was an archeological text of some kind or another. Instead of Daring Do’s fictionalized novel, he had checked out the more academic breakdown of her actual findings.

Only the last book in the pile was even a little bit fictional, one of those sensationalized “10 Unsolved Mysteries” type books. This one was called “10 Unanswered Questions in Modern Archeology.” Even after the week Chance had endured, she couldn’t help but smile at the exaggerated cube on the front cover. “Precursors, huh?”

This was not the procedure for returning books. Given the destruction of her whole world, Chance had trouble caring.

Pipsqueak didn’t look offended. If anything, he seemed impressed. “I didn’t know you liked archaeology! I thought you were into…” He glanced down at her flank, though the mark there probably didn’t help him much. “Geography?”

She shook her head, flipping rapidly through the book. It was wonderful to have her magic back, and be able to do things like this again. How did earth ponies like Pip survive?

Even a sensational book like this was a little difficult for her to read. Still, she kept to the pictures, until she found stuff that looked a little more familiar to her. There was the cube all right, though the symbols depicted there weren’t the same ones Twilight Sparkle had shown her a year ago.

Chance dropped down to the ground again, letting the book slump there in front of her. “Unanswered question number six is a Norfolk four-course.” She turned the page. “And this part is asking if you’ve discovered electrical induction yet.” She turned again. “Oh look, an electromagnet. I’m guessing…” The last page showed several different minerals in vivid color, and the way to draw off conductive wire from copper. “Yeah. That’s what I thought.” She closed the book, sliding it along the ground towards him.

Pipsqueak’s eyes got wider, and he flipped hurriedly through the book. “Y-you… You just…” He shook his head. “You’re making fun of me!” There was a little pain in his voice then, however much he tried to fight it. Poor colt was too young and fragile for his own good, clutching protectively at the book.

“I’m not.” Chance pried the book free of his grip with her levitation, jerking so suddenly it came away without tearing. It wasn’t hard to take something away from someone without hands. She gestured at the page, at what looked like a transcription directly from the cube, and read in English. “Grow wheat in the first year, turnips in the second, followed by barley in the third and clover in the forth. This rotation significantly improves the micronutrient—”

She felt a hoof closing her mouth, and Pipsqueak’s breath on her cheek. “Can you really read that?”

She buried her face in her forelegs again. “Not today, Pip. I shouldn’t have brought it up.” She shivered, and without meaning to a wave of force rippled from her horn. It wasn’t really more than a wind, scattering dust and scraps of burned paper from around them. “All the knowledge in the world can’t stop the things you love from burning.”

Pip didn’t say anything, though the sound of his hooves faded. Chance didn’t look up—she didn’t have the energy to deal with a kid right now.

Something moved in front of her, something rustling in the center of the library. Twilight Sparkle had cleared away the wreckage there, spreading it flat onto the bare ground all around the library’s perimeter. “Doesn’t mean you can’t do something.” Something hit her in the face.

Chance whimpered, intending to yell at him to leave. What he had thrown was still on the ground in front of her, the ash already wiped away. It was an acorn, apparently intact despite the mistreatment. “What?”

Pipsqueak had clearly cleaned the thing off with his coat, judging from all the dark stains there. “I might just be a little pony, so I don’t always understand the big stuff. But if I’ve learned anything from all my reading, it’s that ponies can’t give up. Even Equestria can be mean sometimes. We can give up, or we can pick up the pieces and keep going.”

Chance blinked tears from her eyes, or tried. Everything started to blur again, with the light of sunset breaking into orange rainbows around a colt even smaller than she was. “Where’d you find that? Twilight said she…”

Pip shrugged, tapping one of his legs with a hoof. “Earth pony thing I guess.”

“I guess.” Chance levitated the little acorn up to her face, concentrating. With her magic restored, Chance opened her eyes and saw through the dross of matter. There, buried deep within a protective wooden shell and the tightly packed nutrition, she could see the faint glimmer of life.

I can’t believe we never invented sensors to do this. If she ever saw her world again, maybe she could change that. Just because ponies had developed down a different path didn’t mean her people couldn’t learn from them. God knew the learning worked in the other direction.

“If I were you, I’d plant it.” Pipsqueak struck the earth with one little hoof, carving an opening perhaps an inch deep and twice that wide.

Chance rubbed the acorn against her cheek, then lowered it into the opening. Levitation faded, along with her mage sight spell.

She made to turn away, but Pipsqueak caught her hoof. “Come on, Chance. Did nopony teach you how plants work?”

Without knowing why, Chance found herself blushing. “I… Nopony ever did. Unless you count slime growing in tanks.”

“Yuck!” He stuck his tongue out at her. “That does not count.” Pipsqueak tugged on her hoof, knocking the little pile of dirt and ash into the hole and patting it down. “There.” He let go, though he didn’t move his hoof from the ground. “I don’t think you can help with this last part.” He gestured at his forehead with his other hoof. “Wrong kind of magic.”

She just stared. For a moment it seemed like nothing was going to happen—until a faint green shoot broke the surface. It didn’t grow for long, only a little past his hoof, with a single weak-looking leaf covered in ash.

“There, that—” Pip choked as Chance embraced him, pulling the little pony into a tight pony hug.

“Thanks, Pip.” She let go. “You don’t… You don’t know what that means.” Second Chance could almost see another city, a city gray like her eyes and scarred with more ash than the library. More had burned there than books and trees.

No, Second Chance’s cutie mark wasn’t in Geography. She would make that city green again too.

She wiped away the last of the moisture, though that couldn’t do anything for how dirty she was. Dirty they both were, now. “Hey, uh… you wanna get an ice cream?”

* * *

There was none of the strut in Tesla’s gate as he passed into Richard’s office that day. The man’s dark hair had been combed neatly, his uniform pressed clean, and his eyes never went higher than Richard’s chest.

“Your Grace.” He bowed deeply as he entered, exactly 14 degrees deeper than he normally did. “If you have a moment.”

“There is always time for Tower business.” Richard inclined his head politely, though there was no requirement that he do so. Even the High Lord of the Technocratic Order was still just a citizen in his eyes, subject to his absolute authority.

But Richard wasn’t the sort of man who would abuse the authority of his office. Richard was a good king.

Or at the very least, he wanted to be. “Even if that business is bad news.”

Tesla visibly stiffened, his whole body tensing as he made his way over to the front of the desk. There was no chair, as no citizen of the Steel Tower who visited here would have a body capable of tiring. The Tower itself was on the outskirts of London, an area so heavily irradiated that not even cockroaches had been seen there since the Fall.

There was a chair for Richard, though he needed none. Like much the Tower did even today, that too was a matter of image. He gestured, clearing away the holospace above the desk of its assorted clutter. “What trouble are we in, old friend?”

“It’s about the Equestrian incursion team.” Tesla paused, perhaps expecting King Richard to make things easier by filling the silence. Richard said nothing, leaving the Technocrat to be the one to speak.

“Information is… somewhat unclear. What little we have discovered could not be worse.”

Richard did not show emotion easily. This was true of many with android bodies. Few he had ever met could match his regal baring, however. That wasn’t just in the way he could avoid showing his apprehension. Some of it was in actively appearing calm even in the presence of extremely distressing situations or information.

It was not an easy achievement. Richard kept his voice even as he suggested the worst possible thing he could think of. “She was killed by Federation agents, which had infiltrated Equestria to a degree we did not previously understand.”

Again, the way Tesla’s whole body froze was evidence enough of Richard’s success, and the stress the Technocrat was feeling. There was no sign of grief, though. Not like the grief Richard himself had shown when news of Leonidas's death had reached him.

“I… wish you were more wrong, Your Grace. We can only speculate. As you are probably aware, we make contact on a weekly basis, to exchange information and give new orders. Our recent signal went unanswered, so I queried her fleet. Last week, she had built a force of roughly ten-thousand…”

“Nineteen responded, mostly long-distance surveyors or mining equipment. All were drones that spent long periods off the network… so we suspected something had happened.”

“And you investigated,” Richard supplied. He didn’t like where this was going. Unfortunately, even being the absolute ruler of all mankind did not make him more able to shape reality with his desires alone.

Tesla nodded. “Her outpost was in ruins. No attack… every drone there had been destroyed by self-destruct or intentional overload. Her manufacturing equipment, much of which lacks a self-destruct, had been intentionally sabotaged. Extensive searching allowed us to recover a mostly intact data-module and rebuild some of what happened.”

He gestured at the table, which filled suddenly with flickering green nodes. The map represented the network of drones, and it moved in constant flux, shifting and waving about like a swarm of insects.

In a single flowing wave, all the drones changed color, and started buzzing around in agitation instead of their orderly dance. They vanished in great, choreographed flashes of light, hundreds at a time. Eventually the last light went out.

“We created this simulation based on the few modules we were able to collect. It suggests network intrusion by a skilled hacker, skilled enough to overcome Lady Brigid and all her swarm intelligence. I feel the likelyhood a human hacker of any skill would be capable of this”—he gestured vaguely—“is near zero. We also have failed to detect the Rift being moved anywhere in Equestria, or any sort of stabilizer on the other end. This suggests the Federation did not involve living agents. It suggests they sent one of their GAIs. At least Kappa class. Perhaps higher.”

“Not perhaps.” Richard stared at the simulation, watching Brigid’s nodes fall over and over. There was no telling which one had been holding her consciousness. A child senselessly slaughtered, because to their enemy they were “just machines.”

It was no accident he allowed Tesla to sense his anger. No accident he raised his voice and clenched the desk so hard the wood strained and popped. “A Kappa core might be able to penetrate a network this large, but it wouldn’t have survived the crossing. Even if it had, it wouldn’t be able to communicate with the natives to make allies, or manufacture penetration equipment.”

“If the Federation know of our involvement with Equestria and wanted to stop us, that would not be the way. They would choose an intelligence built to last, with strength to cross the gulf, with the ability to manufacture on its own, generate its own power, and communicate easily even without technology. They would choose an intelligence with the power to widen the rift, with enough energy.”

Tesla retreated, shivering. “You think they would sacrifice one of the OMICRON cores to an uncertain mission on another world? The energy required to widen the gulf even that much… it would be astronomical!”

“Energy they have in abundance with the lunar reactor. Cores they have…” He thought only a moment, recalling his last tactical report. “Seven. Six now, if one is in Equestria. I suppose it doesn’t matter which.”

“What will we do?” Tesla’s voice was low, somewhere between nervous and eager. “Destroy a few of the shelters in retaliation? I know of at least three within five hundred miles, and could—”

“No.” Richard silenced him with a glare. “We will not strike civilians because of what we suspect to be an act of war. Besides… if we break the cease-fire on Earth, that might be the end. Even if we exterminate the population of every shelter, the Aegis could bombard our city from orbit and destroy what we have accomplished. No… if there is to be another war, we will not fight it here.”

Richard leaned down, moving his hand rapidly through the holospace. The little simulation faded, replaced with a few glittering specks. Exactly 19 of them, in fact. “We’re armed with information, old friend. Even if it cost us one of the best sages of your order. You have my word there will be justice for her.”

“Will we… send another? Perhaps someone trained in systems security this time?”

“No.” Richard rose. “Listen and hear my will, Lord Tesla. Direct every surviving drone to flee from all life, flee into the wilderness where they will not be found. They will operate as a collective swarm no longer, but instead we will compile new directives for each from this side. We will return to Brigid’s directive of growing her fleet. We will avoid all living things, all population centers, and make secrecy our priority.”

“That… would stretch the timeline by several years at least, Your Grace. Perhaps decades.”

“Perhaps,” he repeated. “Except that when we are prepared, we will find that OMICRON Core… and use its power to stabilize the rift from the other side. If the process destroys it, well… so much the better.”

Tesla nodded, and there was nothing of being forced in his salute. “It will be done!” He turned, hurrying for the door. It snapped shut behind him, leaving Richard alone.

King Richard turned away from the doorway, facing out the window. Even though this was one of the few intact glass surfaces in the tower, one of the few worth constant cleaning, it was hard not to look out upon his kingdom and see mostly filth.

He was only a few floors up, not like the throne room in the rusting tower’s tip. He saw mostly the courtyard, with hundreds of androids and thousands of drones going about their daily business. Every day the solar fields grew larger, and the rubble from further and further was cleared. Near the tower the old gardens had been “repaired”, using plastic flowers and astroturf in place of the plants that would not have grown.

Somewhere not so far away was a world with real flowers and real grass, where the water wasn’t toxic and the air didn’t burn. This setback would not dissuade him. Equestria would still be his. It would just take a little more time.

Richard was a good king.

Author's Note:

Well, that's another story done, and with it the trilogy of MLA is ended at last. For the longest time, I was afraid I wouldn't ever have the time to write this one, so I'm super glad I did. Thank you so much to those few readers who actually made it this far. I appreciated your comments, even if not all of us agree on everything. (the only one I don't appreciate is the downvote comment troll, but hopefully we'll have seen the last of them at his point).

I aimed to make this story about 50k. I went... quite a bit over the mark, but I think that's for the best.

Of course there's a question out there that many of you are probably asking: What's going to happen with Harmony Defended? I've decided to leave that story as is, so you can go ahead and move on right now.

You may notice several characters and plot-threads from this story and Apogee aren't addressed during that time, however. Harmony Defended was written as the sequel to an earlier version of My Little Apprentice, one in which that story was several times as long and contained entirely different content following its current end. I thought about revising the existing version of Harmony Defended to insert everything... but the more I thought about it, the sillier that sounded. I'd rather spend my time writing new stories.

So that was what I did. I wrote a companion story, The Sunset Campaign, which is meant to be read after/alongside Harmony Defended. It should tie the stories together, without requiring to take my focus away from writing for weeks to make it happen.

So what should you read next? If the Steel Tower and its internal workings were interesting to you, I suggest going to Steel Solstice, then Harmony Defended, then The Sunset Campaign and finally Pax Humana.

If seeing a story heavily focused on ponies interacting with the Steel Tower doesn't seem interesting to you, then skip Steel Solstice and do the remaining stories in the order listed.

Hopefully that isn't too confusing, but feel free to drop me a message here or in PM if it is.

Comments ( 46 )

7356575

So, you went along with the "Canterlot Garden Stone Prison " thing. Still, why does a benevolent ruler like Celestia allow punishments worse than death, like Tartarus or petrification, rather than execution or normal imprisonment?

An interesting ending, I can see how it changes things later on. The only problem I have is that without Twilight's shiny new table, what was the point of ascending her?

7356731

Honestly? The entire table thing was horrible done and my head cannon doesn't go past season 4 because of all the poor story decisions and under utilized potential(mcm get cuty marks then... nothing). Heck when was the last time Twilight took a moment to even ponder a friendship situation??

The way season 5 went it was like she gave up on learning about friendship and just let some magical mcguffen control everything. Don't get me started on how weak the final episode was.... ug.

As far as the story that ending ,a mix of hope and dread, i can't wait for the re-wright!! As Second Chance learns and becomes more and more pony. Waiting for Equestria to some day reveal that not only is Bridged alive but ALIVE after she tried to conquer them. So much potential going forward.

I've really enjoyed your writing. I personally think you should take your time in getting HD fleshed out further. The only thing lost is time and time may actually make it much better than you had planned for.
Great work like always and I look forward to whenever you review HD.

It will bugs me that apogee and perhilion never took off in the viewer department like the original did. They certainly deserve it. Good job with the story, and thanks for finishing it!

There's something really optimistic about planting a seed that they know won't be grown for hundreds of years. Very nice note to end on. :twilightsmile:

Glad to see a lot of these loose ends tied up. I do feel bad for Brigid, though.

I mean, she did murder at least one pony we know of, so she certainly deserves worse than she got. But still, it's hard to suffer a fall like that.

The waiting will be difficult, but the wait for Perihelion was very much worth it. I go look forward to when the rewritten Harmony Defended is ready.

Well... not a bad note to leave off on, I suppose.

Introducing Pipsqueak a bit earlier is a helpful change.

7356598
I don't think I actually confirmed it. I think what I confirmed is that Celestia at least allows stories to persist that it exists. Whether or not those stories are actually true is something else, though.

And... It's complete. I have to say that this is a good story, it ties some loose ends together, like: where did Brigid go? Why did the drones attack truth? These are the kind of things I look for in a prequel; answers, background, and a good plot to wrap it all up in a nice (not so little) bundle. Good story by all definitions in my humble opinion, you've made us all proud Starscribe, good job, keep it up and let it be known that I, personally, already can't wait for that overhaul that you told us about, but just don't rush it, I'd rather read a good story that takes more time to write and longer to update, then a bad one that takes up a shorter time to write and is updating in very quick pace. Well, that is it from me (for now), keep up the good job!.

As a follower of the series from before apogee, I must say I am very exited for the next piece. While I greatly enjoyed the originals, these rewrites are just as amazing. I can't wait for more! I will be following you until then.

MLA is a truly amazing story and I see there is one more story to go witch I will be reading next.
the one thing I noticed is that second chance and her cute mark is / are vary close to a different story line you are working on. ??

This series is just so darn good in every way that counts. It needs more views and more loves. :heart:

I really wonder how Second Chance would react if she understood that the Steel Tower was the force that saved the world, rather than the one that destroyed it. That they stopped the onslaught of Void perverted weaponry that threatened the fabric of reality itself, and the fire Chance saw spread across her planet was happening despite them, not because of them. They were victims of the bombs as much as humanity, and the only reason the earth isn't green (or at least shiny chrome) is that they aren't able to save the planet any more than the moon people.

The metal men have serious issues with arrogance and hubris, and a very ethically questionable value of life, treating some people as precious, and others as expendable. That makes it really easy for people like Chance to assume that they blew up the planet purely to get those silly organics out of the way, so they could replace them with "precious people" who were robots. Maybe they wouldn't be above doing so, but the fact remains that they didn't, and even they suffer from the consequences of the fallout. They're not the soulless forces of destruction Chance thinks they are, but the survivors of it. She's blaming the survivors of the destruction for the destruction. It's like a combination of survivor guilt and victim blaming, and humans are known to do both those things, so I wonder how Chance would react if she knew. Would she still condemn them? Say it's their fault for letting it happen? It would be an interesting story, how Second Chance learned not to blame the survivors, and that destroying the Steel Tower wouldn't make the planet green again.

That's why I was especially astonished that Second Chance didn't have a more... extreme reaction to Bridgit's sentencing. The Steel Tower thinks people who aren't in their network aren't worth spitting on, but Chance thinks Tower people aren't people at all. Machines without a soul, programmed to pretend to be people. So what did Second Chance think Discord did? Scrapped a machine, then gave birth to a orange pony filly who thought that she used to be the machine? Where was this Bridget that he got a pony to become, if there wasn't anything in that metal shell beforehand? And if Discord just produced a very confused filly from scratch, why isn't Chance protesting her sentencing, because the new Bridget could never have been the machine that took over Canterlot, since that machine was by definition not a person?

Well, obviously it's because you wrote the sequel first and had to get rid of Bridget so she didn't seem conspicuously absent, but it is interesting to take the idea and run with it. Chance has... issues, that are actually really fascinating when she falls prey to them rather than being a golden girl all the time. :ajsmug:

Also, Leonidas. :applecry:

7197739 IT'S NOT THERE ANYMORE!!! :pinkiegasp::fluttercry:

7767744
Well they could if they wanted it, but one important consideration is that you're dependent on it for life. It's like having an immunodeficiency disease. Have to keep getting regular injections or you can get killed by a common cold. It's possible the ponies didn't want the baggage.

Hell yeah. Amazing story friend of friends, truly a wonderful thing to invest time in.

7874868 the incompetent what?

7876628
Nothing. It's being used as a noun:

in·com·pe·tent
inˈkämpədənt/
adjective
1.
not having or showing the necessary skills to do something successfully.
"a forgetful and utterly incompetent assistant"
synonyms: inept, unskillful, unskilled, inexpert, amateurish, unprofessional, bungling, blundering, clumsy, inadequate, substandard, inferior, ineffective, deficient, inefficient, ineffectual, wanting, lacking, leaving much to be desired; More
noun
1.
an incompetent person.

7876689 but it shouldn't be, because you can say the incompetent fool, or the incompetent unicorn, or the incompetent caster, and there won't be any confusion.

7877377
I think you've gotten into pretty subjective territory with "shouldn't" at this point. The sentence is grammatically correct the way it is. Judging by the other comments, nobody else had trouble with it. And to look at the whole sentence, it's easy to see why:

The enchanted blade Achelois had sliced through the spell and then the tip of the foolish pony's horn before the incompetent had finished casting it.

It's clear from context that "the incompetent"(n) is referring to "the foolish pony" named only four words earlier. The sentence is already an encumbered mess. I wouldn't want to make it even worse by adding words that don't add more meaning. If anything, I'd want to trim the sentence down. Unfortunately, I had far less experience writing for brevity when I wrote this than I do now.

7877392

I think you've gotten into pretty subjective territory with "shouldn't"

Yup.

I wouldn't want to make it even worse by adding words that don't add more meaning.

Suit yourself.

If anything, I'd want to trim the sentence down.

If you want to, maybe "Before he had finished casting it, the enchanted blade Achelois sliced through the spell and then the tip of the foolish pony's horn." I think of things less in terms of brevity though, and more in terms of punch and timing, so might not be the best at advice here.

My best advice is ignore me and go write something you like, instead of fiddling with trivial grammar tweaks. I point out what I see, not what I'm absolutely sure needs to change.

7965369
I think you're making some unsafe assumptions when comparing our theoretical real-world fusion reactor designs and a literal magical artifact from another universe.

7965412

I tend to support ideas of transcending the human form. I can really see things from the perspective of the Tower's people. Factions like that are usually my favorites.

7987852 That picture doesn't seem to be accessible anymore. What was it?

8130119 I can't believe I forgot hypocrisy.

So, finally caught up to this. About to move on to Hamony Defended. It's been a year and the sequel is done. I just want to ask, how different did things turn out to be from here? Asking to brace myself a bit.

This is/was an amazing trilogy! Looking forward to the next parts and the eventual what-i-assume-to-be end.

I found this series after Massage in a bottle hit the front page and just wanted to say thank you for writing this! It's keep me on the edge of my seat for nearly a week and there's still the sequel to read next : ). You have the rair ability to write both intricate sci-fi and interesting characters. I'll look forward to your next update.

There was none of the strut in Tesla’s gate as he passed into Richard’s office that day.

Gait. Gate is a doorway; gait is how you walk.



So, after reading the author's note from a year ago. Has that happened? HD is showing as a sequel; not sure if I ought to read it yet if it is still being planned to be drastically rewritten...

So, I've just read the MLA, Apogee and Perihelion. Here are some questions, hope you find time to answer.
1. You didn't recommend to read the Harmony Defended yet. Is it just a refining process pending, or there are some noticeable disagreements with Apogee/Perihelion?
2. Is there some ETA for revised version of Harmony Defended?
3. I like this green filly. Is it any chance to see more adventures with her? Like one-shots with her inventing something, adventures with CMC, or some more Lyra and Precursor Society (would be actually funny if Chance joined them and visit their conference). Maybe some side-stories?
4. I haven't read Harmony Defended yet, but from its description I suspect there is some large time gap. If I'm right, have you considered writing one more story in between? It's not believable that nothing interesting has happened with that filly during a period of few years. That's just impossible :)

8613047
Sure, I can answer! I wish some of the questions had happier answers, though.

1. It's mostly just a minor process of reconciliation. It's not so much about contradictions, but since some characters and plotlines were added in later revisions, they just don't appear in Harmony Defended. A revised version would have to add a whole bunch of new content.

2. I'm not currently working on it at this time. I ultimately came to the conclusion that I would be better off creating new content. If I constantly try to improve the old stuff I wrote, I'll be treading water forever instead of breaking new ground.

3. I suppose it's possible. I don't have any planned right now, but I did have a few ideas.

4. I'm sure interesting things did happen, and some of them are talked about in harmony defended. You are right that there are several years in-between.

I'm kind of disappointed that Richard shifted from "Don't invade" to "It's going to be all mine"

Though I do love the mental disconnect of both the Tower and Federation. The Tower complaining that the Federation view them as just machines, yet they do the same with the Omnicron Cores and the Federation viewing the Tower as just machines and humanising the Omnicron Cores

8925938
So essentially as long as you compensate for an unmodified human you're fine, but if you need to fight something that doesn't need to compensate you're at a disadvantage and need to modify the human below.

It was not an easy achievement. Richard kept his voice even as he suggested the worst possible thing he could think of. “She was killed by Federation agents, which had infiltrated Equestria to a degree we did not previously understand.”

Whoops

8930314
Bree has a lot of style. Not to mention it seemed like before she was being more Chaotic Good, doing what she thought was right for her Ruler. It isn't until later when you see that such is not the case. Plus I liked her style and other stuff.

I mean shit LOTS of people love antagonists and even villains....

Is there going to be a sequel?

9139505
Yes, the first several chapters have already been written. It's just waiting for its cover to be finished to come to fimfiction. Expect it in the next few weeks.

9139527
Awesome can't wait, by the way I love your stories so far

I can't believe you've hurt Luna like this. Their reunion never happened. :applecry:

Richard was a good king.

You almost were, but now you're not, you moron.

7356598
I personally like the headcanon that Celestia is pacifistic to a fault. She doesn't kill... ever. But since petrification isn't technically killing, it's what she liberally used to deal with her enemies when her diplomacy couldn't.

11140233

That comment was like 5 years ago, I barely remember what this story is even about. But just from memory, Bree must have been a Tower Knight or something and wound up trapped in an organic equestrian body.

If that's what happened, yeah, that's cruel. Saying that she deserves it is like saying that some transperson you don't like deserves to be in the wrong body.

11143945
Uh... you lost me.

Login or register to comment