• Published 27th Apr 2016
  • 3,283 Views, 36 Comments

Lunar Month - LoZLttP13



Luna takes a month off of her Royal duties to court Twilight.

  • ...
20
 36
 3,283

A Sorceress's Decision

When Twilight arrived at the cafe, she found that her friends Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were already seated at one of the tables. Upon seeing them, she smiled; the two Pegasi were an adorable couple.

Last autumn, Twilight had had a significant hoof in the two of them getting together. At her gentle prompting, both of them had come out as fillyfoolers and told her of their history together: Fluttershy had been one of multiple "friends with benefits" that Rainbow had while they were living in Cloudsdale. The athletic, sky-blue, prismatic-maned Rainbow had casually bedded many other girls as well, ignorant to the heartache she was causing the gentle, custard, pink-maned Fluttershy.

Though they had been in love with each other nearly since they first met, their great personal inhibitions prevented them from confessing their feelings to each other, and as a result Rainbow had been the center of a very messy battle for her affection between Rainbow's friends Pinkie Pie, Scootaloo, and her former friend Gilda the Griffon. Eventually, however, both Rainbow and Fluttershy confided their longing for one another in Twilight, who in turn brought them together.

Since they became girlfriends, Rainbow and Fluttershy had had a rather stormy relationship; the clash of their very different personalities had led to more than a few very heated arguments. One such conflict that stuck out particularly vividly to Twilight was their fight over whether or not Rainbow should go and watch a "boring" butterfly migration with Fluttershy, which later resurfaced when Fluttershy refused to go to a "scary" dragon migration with Rainbow.

Nonetheless, both of them were very happy, and their bond was so strong that Twilight knew it would take something extremely drastic to tear them apart. However, one couldn't guess that they were a couple just by looking at them; though they were out to Twilight and their other closest friends, they hadn't yet revealed their homosexuality to the world at large, and so confined their physical intimacy to when they were alone. Twilight could hardly blame them; Pegasi society was extremely hierarchical, competitive, and homophobic, as opposed the more progressive Unicorn society Twilight had grown up in which showed no hostility to her bisexuality. Still, Twilight wished her friends weren't so afraid to be themselves.

As Twilight sat across from Fluttershy and Rainbow, Rainbow said, "Hey, Twi!"

"Hey, girls!" Twilight replied. "What's up?"

"Not much," Rainbow replied.

Fluttershy shrugged. "I've been incubating some new hawk chicks, but other than that not much has been happening."

As Twilight nodded, they heard another voice call, "Hello, girls!" and turned to see Rarity, Pinkie Pie, and Applejack approaching them.

As all the girls sat, a waiter came over to the table. "Is this everyone?" he asked.

Rarity, a white, purple-maned unicorn, nodded. "Indeed. Unless Spike's coming...?" she said, glancing at Twilight.

Twilight shook her head. "No. He wanted to get a little more sleeping in."

The waiter levitated a notepad before his face. "Very well. What shall I get for you ladies today?"

After they had all made their orders, the waiter jotted them down and entered the cafe. When he had gone, Twilight said to her friends, "Girls, I need some help."

All the other Mares turned to her attentively. "Yes, darling?" Rarity asked concernedly.

Twilight swallowed, then lightly blushed as she continued. "Well, um... somepony just asked me to dinner this evening..."

Rarity smiled. "Really?"

Pinkie, a curly-maned pink Earth pony, leapt into the air and cheered. "Yaaaay! That's great, Twilight! Is it somepony we know? Are they a Mare or a Stallion?"

Twilight chuckled nervously. "Yes, she's somepony you know."

"A Mare?" Rainbow Dash said. She leered with a smirk at Twilight. "Is she hot?"

Twilight's blush intensified. "Well, yes..."

Rainbow leaned forward. "So, it's somepony we know? Who is it? Golden Harvest? Rose?"

"Actually, um... it's, uh... Princess Luna," Twilight replied.

All of her friends' jaws dropped. Pinkie Pie screamed, "WHAT?! Princess Luna asked you out?!"

"Yes," Twilight replied.

As Pinkie dramatically gasped, the other girls stared astonishedly at Twilight. After a few moments, Rainbow said, "You're kidding, right?"

Twilight shook her head. "No. She asked me just before I came."

Applejack's brow furrowed in thought. "The Princess... Never woulda guessed..."

Rarity squealed and embraced Twilight excitedly. "Oh, Twilight, this is spectacular! You've gotten the attention of a Princess!"

As Rarity stood back, she continued to squeal as she danced in place. "Oh, this is so exciting! What do you need, Twilight? A dress? Ooh, perhaps you need your mane done up? Or maybe-"

"Wait," Twilight interrupted her, holding up a hoof. "Actually, I don't even know if I'm going to say yes."

"WHAT?!" her friends shouted.

"Are you kidding?!" Pinkie shouted. "You're not sure that you're going to go on a date with Princess Luna?!"

"Yeah, what's wrong with you, Twilight?" Rainbow added.

"Do you not want to?" Rarity asked concernedly.

Twilight looked to the side. "No, it's not that. I think I want to. It's just that... well..."

Listening to the tone of Twilight's voice, Rarity asked, "Does your heart belong to somepony else?"

"Well, um... I... n-... well-"

"Is it because you're in love with Celestia?" Rainbow asked flatly.

Twilight flinched, froze, and began to turn pale. After a few moments Rarity angrily turned to Rainbow and said, "Rainbow Dash! I would've thought of all ponies you would know to not brazenly spill your friends' secrets!"

Rainbow's eyes widened. "It was a- secret?"

Rainbow covered her mouth, whispering, "Oh my gosh..."

Twilight swallowed and tremblingly said, "Yes, that's why."

After a few moments of stunned silence, Rainbow blurted with anxious remorse, "I'm so, so, so so so sorry, Twilight! I thought everypony else knew..."

"I didn't know. I promise I won't tell anypony," Fluttershy said.

Rarity sighed exasperatedly. "Well, I guessed so as well, but I promise I won't tell anyone either."

After the rest quickly promised not to tell anyone either, Rarity said, "So, you're going to turn Luna down?"

"I don't know," Twilight replied. "I mean... should I? After all, what would I tell her? That I actually want to be with her sister? That's definitely something I'd like to hear," she said bitterly.

"Well," Rarity replied, "were you planning on attempting to pursue Celestia?"

"Um... well, no," Twilight said, her ears drooping sorrowfully. "She's... well, Celestia's my teacher. It just... couldn't work..."

Rarity nodded. "Very well. In that case, why shouldn't you try with Luna? Would you like to try going out with her?"

Twilight thought for a moment, then nodded. "I... I guess, but..."

"But you wish to court Celestia more," Rarity suggested.

Twilight nodded.

Rarity smiled. "Who knows, Twilight? Perhaps you'll grow to like Luna as well. After all, it's perfectly possible to fall in love more than once."

Twilight made a small smile. "I know. I... already have..."

Rarity blinked. "Really? With whom?"

Twilight blushed even more intensely. "I... can't tell you..."

Rarity gazed at Twilight for a moment, then nodded. "Alright. Well, the decision is ultimately yours, darling."

Twilight was silent as their waiter returned with their meals and they ate. After she had finished her hay burger and bid her friends farewell, Twilight returned to the library and sat on her sofa, continuing to contemplate her dilemma. In less than an hour, however, she made her final decision.

Twilight attended to her duties as librarian for the rest of the day, and near six o'clock she heard a knock on the door. When she answered it, she saw that it was Luna.

"So," Luna said, "have you come to a decision?"

Twilight took a deep breath, then smiled at Luna. "Yes, I would love to," she said, blushing intensely.

Luna gazed surprisedly at Twilight for a moment, then smiled. "Very well. Do you have any establishment you'd recommend?"

Twilight blinked at her. "You... you don't have anywhere in mind?"

"Oh! Am I supposed to?" Luna asked.

Twilight giggled. "Usually."

"Right. Well, I'll keep that in mind," Luna said, blushing slightly with embarrassment.

Twilight giggled again, then turned and shouted, "Spike! I'll be gone for a few hours!"

"Alright!" Spike shouted back, then Twilight exited the library with Luna.

As they walked, Twilight said, "Follow me. I think I know just the place..."