• Published 28th Apr 2016
  • 7,395 Views, 235 Comments

Clean the Slate - Earth Galvanising



Time is a priceless commodity, and an even greater weapon. As one pony stumbles through fate blindly, with no clue on how to solve the jigsaw of his destiny despite Celestia's aid, how will he fare against the Flow of Time in his second life?

  • ...
31
 235
 7,395

1. Homecoming

Bryan sighed happily. Today, he was going to see his new home in this new world, for the very first time. His new parents (still very much resembling his old, human parents) had been over to the nursery wing of the hospital everyday while his mother recovered over the last few days, but now she was healthy and ready to be discharged, along with her foal. The cot he lay in was quite comfortable, he was almost going to miss it.

The nursery, where Bryan spent most of his time, was mainly filled with the snoring of other, genuinely young and new born foals, the newly dubbed Quantum being the only seventeen-year old new born human foal. Christ, that’s a mouthful, he thought. Still, his time hadn’t been completely sunshine and rainbows; he’d learnt several things about his new body. One, while slowly gaining control of his forelegs and hind legs, he still found himself unable to form sentences, coming out with the fitting ‘baby noises’ every time he tried to do so. Granted, it was somewhat amusing the first time, but after a while it just got plain aggravating. Two, because of the loss of his vocabulary, Bryan found himself at the mercy of the hospital meal times. He couldn’t ask for more, he couldn’t request a drink, and he sure as hell couldn’t open his muzzle and say ‘yeah doc, this food tastes like shit.’

Which brought him to his third problem. The most embarrassing, mortifying thing he could’ve been stuck with.

Quantum had lost control of his bodily functions.

The first time he’d had an… accident, he wasn’t even aware of it until a nurse had pointed it out. Which lead him to the biggest mental freak out session, ever. From that point forward, he tried diligently at delaying, or even just regaining control of his body, unfortunately, it was not to be, thus, he often found himself in a bad mood after eating or drinking anything until the following event passed. Especially if it’s a number two… ech. Therefore, he’d found himself sleeping 60% of the time he was here, because the uncontrollable movements of his body, in tandem with the complete boredom he faced, made him less and less inclined to stay awake.

The other 40% of his time was spent with his parents, and each time made him feel more and more comfortable in the new world he was in, even if he couldn’t control his own arse.

And so, that was how he spent his days. Literally, eat, sleep, poop; with some loving attention from Hegese and Bow too. When he was awake, he found himself contemplating the intricacies of the world. True, he’d only seen few a few people and had been confined to the hospital, but he wanted to know about the differences between Earth and this, ‘Equestria,’ or was that the country name? He’d often heard ponies mentioning the name ‘Celestia’ in shock, awe, terror or whatever it may be. The name sounded familiar, but Bryan put it down to the similarity between the name and the word ‘Celestial,’ Still, I always get this feeling just at the back of my head, whenever someone says that name…

Shaking free of his thoughts, Bryan drew his attention towards the opening door of the nursery. In trotted the doctor (from his day of arrival) and his horsey parents in tow. The latter pairing made a beeline for their foal with huge smiles on their faces, giddy with excitement at the prospect of returning home. Quantum basked in the attention, and allowed himself to be picked up tenderly by his new mother, being cradled in her wings (he’d made it hell for other nurses or doctors to do that to him, it had been one of his games). As the family of three turned around to face the doctor, Bryan found himself anxiously curious about the strange… bag thing the medic pony was carrying.

“As I understand it, your home is quite the distance, yes? Royal Plaza, the upper end of Canterlot, I believe,” the two parents nodded, and the doctor smiled, partly because he remembered correctly from their file, and partly because he knew what was about to happen, “Then I offer you two this, it’s a foal carrier. Simply strap it to your chest by sticking your forelegs through the loops, and the put little Quantum there in the holder. He’ll be safe, comfortable, and it’s less taxing on your wings, too. Don’t worry about his wings either, there’s enough room in the carrier to make it comfy for them.” The doctor finished his explanation and gave Hegese the foal carrier, while keeping just the tiniest smirk of pleasure trained on Quantum. His colleagues had informed him of the hell he’d raise every time medical staff would try to pick him up, so this was a small sort of revenge. Bryan on the other hand…

Oh, no.

No, don’t you dare.

Mum, I’m serious if you even consider putting me in that thing I’ll-

Before he knew it, Bryan was in the carrier, legs dangling out of the four holes pathetically, tail swinging from the bottom, and his back pressed against his mother’s chest. He was humiliated, and suddenly longed for his human body, at least then he could fight back and run away. The ex-human noticed the grin on the doctor’s face, and instantly realized he’d been set up. I swear, when I grow up, you’re gonna be in for a world of hurt, bub. Despite the embarrassing position he was forced into, Bryan did note that he had a much better view of everything here. He could see over the tops of the cots, and even into some of the closer ones. The walls of the nursery were covered in cartoony ponies (well, more cartoony), and the centre piece was big yellow sun, with a silhouette of an… alicorn, was it? on. Basically, the same thing as he was. The smell of the room was, for the moment, sterile. He was sure it wouldn’t take too long before one of the foals ruined that luxury.

Bryan pondered his situation, not the current moment, but more long-term. He was a human, seventeen years of age, in the body of a new born foal. Could he even tell anybody about that secret? Surely, people would think he was insane, especially if it did turn out that humans didn’t exist on this world. Bryan decided to keep his past under wraps for now. There may be a point in the future when I can trust someone with my life story, he thought to himself, But not yet, I want to enjoy my family being with me again, and I want to live something actually fulfilling this time around.

As the doctor and his parents finished up their conversation, Bryan was reminded of something that ground his mind to an absolute stop. Uncle Phil. The man that had acted as Bryan’s pseudo guardian after… that incident, had been very supportive. Didn’t push him, often offered himself as emotional support, and a method of venting. Honestly? That man was my crutch. I feel pretty terrible for leaving him, though I guess it’d be too much to ask for him to be with me here too. I really would’ve liked to see him, at least, just to let him know that I’m alright, and he didn’t do anything wrong… The foal let out a sigh, surprisingly not mistranslated to baby speak, and was misinterpreted by his parents as a yawn.

“Oh my, is baby getting tired?” The melodic voice of his mother asked, cooing him into a more relaxed state, letting his previous thoughts slip away. “I suppose we should get going, is there anything else, Doctor Cross?” Bryan inwardly raised an eyebrow, Doctor Cross, huh?
“Ah yes, of course,” Cross began, offering a hoof to the father who shook it, “I won’t keep you any longer; but if you’re interested in the extent of his magical capabilities in the future, make sure you go and see the School for Gifted Unicorns. Although, I pity you,” the parents cocked their heads in confusion, and the medic pony simply smiled and said, “An alicorn is going to be in high demand in schools all across Equestria. You’ll have no trouble finding a scholarship for him!” He laughed heartily, while the parents chuckled slightly in apprehension. Just what was coming their way?

“About that,” Bow began, “What advice can you offer in terms of his magical growth? We, uh, don’t actually have that many unicorns in our family, except for my brother Philips Driver, and you see we-“ the Pegasus stallion paused at the sound of a strange gurgling noise. Looking over to Hegese, and the foal in the carrier, he realized it was Quantum making the sound. The gurgling erupted into full on laughter, making the father smile. Did he say something funny? The young colt had lost control of himself, and was laughing like a madpony. Eventually though, he settled down again, with a smile on his face that made everything seem okay. Bow decided he’s finish what he was going to ask. “Like I meant to say, what do we do about accidental magic in the future? We both have little experience with it, seeing as how Hegese and I grew up in Cloudsdale.” The doctor thought to himself for a moment, bringing a hoof under his muzzle.

“Well, in normal cases, unicorn foals only start showing signs of magical development at around three or four years old, at which point, they enrol into a school so that they can gain control of their ability,” the doctor paced around the room, paused, and pointed a hoof at the foal, still dangling from the carrier, “But this is no ‘normal case,’ we’re talking about an alicorn, born with a cutie mark to boot. Alicorns are naturally more powerful, and possess more potent magical ability from the get go, so it may be worth seeking audience with the princess. She really is the only one that could help in this situation.” The parents looked at each other apprehensively, their foal was already known by the princess, as they both remembered the guard that came and visited their foal while he slept on the first day.

“I see, well, thanks doc,” Bow said, as he made to leave with his wife at his side, carrying young Quantum, “We’ll see what happens,” As they both left the nursery and made for the exit, Hegese turned around and waved at Cross.

“Thank you so much for everything you’ve done for us, Doctor Cross, have a wonderful day,” The medic pony nodded at the couple, and smiled to himself as they left the building.


Bryan took in a deep breath of the fresh air outside. It was so much cleaner than anything he’d been breathing in before, even when he lived in the countryside with his old parents. The breeze was pure, and the summer sun glowed down on the town before him. His parents Bow and Hegese trotted with one and other through the town, now known to Bryan as ‘Canterlot,’ a name that caused him to snort and giggle internally. Ha, horse puns, he said to himself as he took in the bright buildings, the colourful inhabitants, and the breath taking sight that was Canterlot Castle, standing atop the mountain of the town.

The ponies around him came in every shape, colour and species imaginable. Bright colours, dark colours, unicorns, pegasi, normal ponies… This place is like a rainbow! He tracked a few of them, going about their daily lives, smiling and waving at one and other. Even with his restricted view (only his head was free, after all), he still loved looking every which way and finding another chapter in somepony (these ponies do say that, don’t they?) else’s story. His eyes were wide with awe, and his muzzle beamed at the bustling streets.

Hegese looked towards her husband, who was staring down at their new born. She felt the young colt’s still nubby horn poke into her chest slightly, and it moved every now and then just go get a better view of the street they were trotting on. She giggled at the sensation, as it tickled her slightly as it rubbed. Often, she found some of the towns ponies smiling at her, waving and offering their congratulations, some she knew, some she didn’t. The new mother had always liked this part of town, preferring it over the haughty, ‘head-up-their-own-arse’ part of town that she and Bow lived in. Everypony here was so welcoming and friendly, it made her want to move down here, but alas, it was not to be. Duty calls and all that jazz.

As they trotted on, the friendly ponies began to intermingle with the… less savoury types, getting barged out of the way by the ‘higher class,’ and sticking their noses up at all the ‘commoners.’ Eventually, the family of three were completely into the upper echelons of Canterlot, subtly increasing their pace as to get to their home in the Plaza all the quicker.

Bryan took note of the change in atmosphere too, noticing that some of the ponies that were trotting towards them on the same pathway, sometimes crashing into his parents and carrying on without anything more than a disdainful look and a small ‘tsk.’ Bryan also recognised that the houses were looking well, less like houses and more like mansions. His parents lived somewhere along here? What were they, rich or something? The castle also loomed ever closer to their destination, and the ex-human actually started to feel a bit anxious.

They eventually passed into a large square of these mansions, all different colours and all very expensive looking. The alicorn foal took note that his family were trotting toward a grand yellow building, trimmed with golds and silvers. A gate barred the entrance to the grounds, surrounded by another wall that lined the area. As the family of three approached the gate, Hegese made to lift a hoof to a panel on the gate pillar, covered in strange marks and runes. Before she could however, a rather sickly sweet voice interrupted her.

“Ah, Mrs Herring,” Hegese groaned and facehoofed internally, Bluebloods… “I see you’ve come back to us, I assume the delivery went okay?” The dark red pegasus mare donned a tense smile, and turned to face her neighbour; Prince Rex Blueblood, and his recently born son, Ingenio Blueblood lying on his father’s back. She responded in a similar tone.

“Ah, Rex, how wonderful to see you again,” She began, very careful to not let any disdain leak into her voice, “Yes, the delivery went fine, and my son Quantum is a healthy colt.” Looked at Rex, who looked amused.

“As I can see,” he smirked, “a unicorn, no less. Well, it will be nice for Ingenio to have a reminder of his superiority in the future,” Bryan’s eye twitched slightly, unnoticed by the three grown ponies. Hegese, however, took a deep calming breath, and smiled sweetly at her husband. It was time to knock him down a peg.

“Bow, honey,” she walked over to her lover, “be a dear and take young Quantum out of the carrier, would you? I can’t imagine he’s too comfortable in there right now.” Inwardly, Bow grinned widely. He knew his wife’s plan without even having to hear it from her. He walked closer to her, and began undoing the clasps with his hooves with a very simple, ‘Of course, dear.’

Bryan, slowly pieced together what was going on before him as his dad undid the prison he was held in. What do I know already? One, Ma and Pa clearly don’t like this sod. Two, ‘Rex’ is so full of himself, he may create a black hole if his head gets any further in his tail hole. Three, I’m an alicorn, Ingenio is a unicorn. Alicorn is greater than unicorn, Bryan smirked devilishly inside, as Bow undid the last clasp, and held his young body between his hooves.

Making especially sure that Rex and his son had eyes on Quantum, Bow lifted his colt out of the carrier, and moved him onto his back, mimicking the Bluebloods, and prayed that his foal decided to ‘have a stretch,’ after being cramped up in the carrier for so long. Sure enough, as soon as the alicorn colt was laid on his father’s back, he flared his tiny, infantile wings to their full size (which wasn’t very big, granted) and both Bluebloods eyes bulged out of their heads, stuttering and spluttering. The effect was only intensified when Bow slowly turned his body around, allowing the tow haughty nobles to see the cutie mark on his son’s flanks.

“B-But… Y-you… W-w-w-w-wings?!” Rex took a step back, and his legs wobbled in embarrassment, looking good and well ready to topple at any moment. Hegese just smiled at the two, before the senior Blueblood pointed an accusing hoof at the two recent parents. “How on Equus did you two manage to birth an alicorn, with his cutie mark?! Neither of you two are even unicorns! He’s just a… a… a freak of nature!” Bow took an angry step forward, innocent smile fully replaced with a full on snarl. Hegese ‘beat’ him to the ‘punch’ though. The slap echoed in the Royal Plaza, and Rex stood in shock, a hoof coming to his now reddening muzzle.

“How dare you,” Hegese began, her voice giving off quiet anger, “insult my son, Rex Blueblood,” she spat the name like it was poison to her, “and expect me to just sit here and take it.” She moved close to the now somewhat scared unicorn, nose pressed against nose, as a sickly smirk made its way on her face. “I will give you a warning, Blueblood; next time you or Ingenio over there insults my son, there will be Tartarus to pay. Understand?” Rex backed away quickly, nodded vigorously, and darted off towards his own home on the other side of the Plaza, tail between his legs. As they watched him disappear, she turned towards her gobsmacked husband, and smiled apologetically. “Sorry, Bow, I’m a bit tens-“ She didn’t get to finish her sentence. It is hard to talk with another mouth pressed so passionately against your own.


In another part of Canterlot entirely, a regal princess trotted slowly through the gardens of her castle, her destination being the source of minor magic fluctuations that had been going on for the last year or so. Everywhere around Celestia was a luscious green, as the grass was wet with dew and birds sang happily in the hedges and in the tress. Squirrels darted over the paths, collecting food and other such things. She enjoyed the gardens, excluding the kitchen and her own chambers; the gardens were probably her favourite area in the whole complex.

She could count many times that she had sat out on one of the benches, eating some exquisite cake as nature worked around her. The sun goddess enjoyed watching the animals work together in the small ecosystem of her gardens. It often gave her inspiration and a drive, to help make her bigger garden (y’know, the one the size of a country) all the better and cohesive. Despite this, there’s always some form of wild card in a garden, some new element, like a new animal or plant breed that disrupts the harmony.

Celestia’s eyes locked with the petrified draconequus, responsible for the minor fluctuations in magic recently. The body of the statue was twisted in pain, the Elements of Harmony responsible for such a thing many years ago. She sighed, and conjured a chair in front of the statue, and she could feel Discord watching from beneath the stone.

She sat there in silence, as the God of Chaos desperately tried to influence her from beneath his stone encasing, but to no avail. The animals went silent, and the breeze itself stilled at the meeting between the two colossal beings of immeasurable power. Celestia sighed, somewhat amused bitterly that the only person she really had to talk to nowadays was an old enemy, and an even older friend. The pulses hit her, but made no effect on her or her magic.

“He’s back, you know,” The pulsing stopped, for just a brief moment, before it reignited into what Celestia recognised as horse code.

”What do you mean? Who’s back, dear princess? I am encased in stone, you know. Not great for visibility, you see, or not, as it were,” She could almost hear Discord’s sarcasm, and smiled slightly at his confusion, and her folly. Of course he wouldn’t know.

“Quantum,” And at this, the air grew cold. She could feel the slight trembling of chaotic being’s energy, and it pulsed out again, in another message.

”Let me out. I need to see him,” This time there was a very un-chaotic feeling about his magic. Celestia realised he must’ve been replying in quite the serious tone. It was unsurprising.

“I can’t. You know that, I know that,” she began, ignoring the now much stronger pulses of indignation coming from the punished God. The mistress of the day sighed, and continued, “He’s just been reborn, Discord. I doubt he’d have any recollection of back then even if we were to go see him,” She looked down at the grass below her, “You said you have about fifteen years until you’re free, give or take, didn’t you?” The statue pulsed in affirmation, “Then when you’re free, I have no doubts that you’ll go after him immediately,” Another pulse of confirmation, “Do you think he can fix you, old friend?”

There was a pause. A long pause, as Celestia instead opted to stare at her sun, looming overhead like the burden on her shoulders. It felt like years until he finally responded again.

”He did so before, there’s no reason why he wouldn’t be able to again,” the air shimmered as the two Gods conversed, ”Fine then, when I break free once more, during the moments of clarity I’ll still have, I’ll find him. To keep up appearances, I suppose I’ll have to deal with you, but I don’t suppose you’ll struggle too much,” She shook her head, ”Good. Then I shall be still for you now, dear Celly, you have a busy decade ahead of you, no?” The air chuckled with mirth, ”See you on the flipside, princess.”