• Published 2nd May 2016
  • 14,332 Views, 467 Comments

Call of a Raven - Autum Breeze



So, first I lose a bet and have to go to Supernova dressed as Raven, then I find myself in the world of MLP, as Raven. Just Great

  • ...
67
 467
 14,332

Chapter 6

Chapter 6



___________________________________________________________

I watch as Spike ignites the scroll and sends it off towards Canterlot. I had been sure to aid Twilight in writing the letter to the princesses, if only so she didn’t just go off the deep end and say I’m an evil being that must be stopped.

So, the letter contains a condensed explanation about who I am, what I am, where I come from and any other details needed to be explained... which I did have to edit several times due to Twilight making it sound like I was sent by evil beings bent on conquering Equestria.

“There,” the soon-to-be-Alicorn harrumphs, glaring at me. “The message has been sent. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna should be here shortly.”

I nod, before glancing down when I feel a tap on my thigh. Fluttershy is looking up at me and I don’t need to see the worry on her face, I can feel it coming off of her in droves.

“Aren’t you worried, Raven?” she asks, before looking down. “I mean, we know you’re not bad because we’ve been able to talk with you, but what about the princesses?”

“Fluttershy’s got a good point there, sugarcube,” Applejack nods. “What’s t’ stop the princesses fr’m jumping the gun, just like Twi did?”

I pay no mind to the quick annoyed pout Twilight send’s the Earth Pony’s way, as I’m caught by Applejack’s choice of words. It’s interesting that, in a world where the idea of guns doesn’t exist, the word still does.

This is a thought I decide to put away for later, other things needing my attention and turn to the pony whom I share a voice with. “Before they arrive, put me in a dense shield bubble, like you did before.”

This, understandably, for multiple reasons, causes confusion to all ponies and dragon present.

“Why?” Rainbow hovers next to me, an eyebrow raised. “You proved Twi can’t keep you in them, so why put you in one again.”

“Besides, darling, you’ve given us no real reasons to put you inside one for our own protection,” Rarity agrees.

I shake my head. “I’m not asking for your protection from me. I’m asking for my own protection from Celestia... maybe Luna too.”

“WHAT?!” Twilight snarls, smoke actually coming out of her nose when she snorts. “How dare you! Are you really suggesting the princess would attack you on sight.”

I just stare back at her. “You did.”

Twilight opens her mouth to respond, when my words seem to filter through and she falters slightly. “I... well, I... but, I was...”

Applejack walks over to the stunned mare and wraps a foreleg around her shoulder. “Sorry t’ say, Twi,” she says softly, “but Raven’s got a point. Ya’ll did jump the gun an’ attack her once ya saw her. An’ the princesses control the sun and moon. Ah really think t’would be fer the best.”

“I... but, I...” Twilight tries, before closing her eyes, her body sagging and nods. “Alright, AJ.”

___________________________________________________________

The teleport ended, Celestia and Luna both bracing for the worst. Whilst Twilight’s letter said the need not fear the creature that had come to Ponyville, neither sister was willing to risk letting their guard down. The last time that happened, an entire empire suffered the cost.

When their vision cleared, however, they were met with a sight they did not expect.

True, the Element Bearers all stood in the field awaiting them and there was a shield bubble holding what was clearly the creature, but that was all that match the similar images they had in their heads as to what they’d see.

Instead of tiredness, worry for safety or anxiety being present... Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie and Spike appeared to be playing Go Fish with the creature; the cyan mare’s grown and hoofing over of two cards to the creature, whom was levitating hers in a black aura with white outlining in front of the shield bubble.

“What...? Could somepony please explain this?” Luna asked, feeling very uncertain.

“Dang. Looks like we lose, guys,” Applejack said, looking from Rainbow Dash, Spike, to the creature.

“Oh, for the love of all that’s pony!” Rainbow growled, slapping her cards down on the ground. “How does Pinkie win all the time?”

“I only won so much this time around cos Raven was letting me,” Pinkie chirped, to which the creature nodded.

Princess Celestia cleared her throat and everypony assembled into a more appropriate manor, Pinkie Pie grabbing all the cards and stuffing them into her mane. The sisters had long learned not to question it on advice from Twilight Sparkle and both felt that was for the better.

“So, this is the being that uses Shadow Magic... like myself?” Luna asked, stepping forward til she was in front of the bubble, her elder sister stepping in line next to her moments later.

They were now getting a good look at the creature. As told in Twilight’s letter, she was bipedal, something not seen too often by the sisters, with long slender legs and arms, the latter ending in hands, like the Minotaurs, but fair more delicate in design.

Her skin was grey, something both sisters found odd when looking at it. Colouring wasn’t too odd, seeing as ponies came in multiple fur colours... but skin was never a changed colour, so it was rather charring, to say the least.

Unlike the ponies, she wore clothing; a dark-blue shirt under a black, long sleeve jacket that stopped a bit before her wrist and only went down to just above her waist, black gloves that left her fingers uncovered, a purplish-black skirt and black boots.

Luna found her eyes being draw to the red diadem on the creature’s forehead. Something about it was intriguing, though she could not put a hoof on what.

“You are Raven, correct?” Celestia asked, her expression blank.

The creature nodded. “I am,” she replied in a monotone voice that somehow held no emotion, whilst simultaneously having boredom clear in the tone. “And, no, as stated in Twilight’s letter to you I did not come here to invade Equestria with darkness, I wasn’t sent by any evil beings trying to take over you land, I don’t know how I got here or why I turned into this form. Yes, my powers can be a threat to your subjects if I don’t take great care, no, I don’t have the experience to wield them properly, but have been getting help from Zecora the zebra and will be getting help from Twilight Sparkle, too.”

“I technically didn’t agree, but...” Twilight muttered with an annoyed tone.

Luna raised an eyebrow at Raven. “And the bubble? Surely, if you were not a threat, Twilight Sparkle would not have sealed you inside?”

Raven shook her head. “I asked her to put me in here, for protection.”

Luna’s confusion grew. “From whom?”

Raven looked straight at them. “From you.”

Both sisters startled and looked to each other, before back to the bubbled creature, who just looked at them blankly and folded her arms.

“Tell me, in all honesty, were you two not planning on attacking the moment your teleport ended, seeing me as a threat, despite Twilight’s letter stating otherwise?”

Both Alicorns stared for several moments, their mouths agape. The other ponies and dragon all looked to each other, uncertainly in their expressions.

“I don’t know how I got here, nor why, when you both sensed me, despite Luna having Shadow Magic much like my own, you perceived me as Dark Magic,” Raven continued, filling the silence. “However, as I appear to be stuck here unless a means of figuring out what sent me here and transformed me can be found, I’ll deal with living among your subjects. Probably able to help out more.”

After a few moments, Luna seemed to shake herself out of the stupor she’d been put in, though, when she spoke, she didn’t sound all that convective in her words. “How do we know we can trust you? A creature such as you has never been seen in Equestria, nor the lands beyond.”

Raven closed her eyes. “You can’t. You can only take my word. However, if you like, I’ll stay somewhere most won’t encounter me.” She held a hand up in front of her. “Azarath Metrion... Zinthos.

At once a black portal appeared in front of her within the bubble and she walked through, it closing right behind. A second later, another portal appeared and Raven stepped out of it as it too closed.

Twilight Sparkle mumbled something about showing off, to which Spike rolled his eyes.

“Seeing as most of Equestria won’t just take to a being that isn’t their princess using Shadow Magic,” Raven said, levitating into the air, a cloak, golden belt and leotard appearing and swirling around her in her aura, “I’ll just go hang with those few guards you have stationed at the train platform out in the frozen north.”

“Wait, what?” Twilight cried, confusion playing over her face and voice. “The frozen north? Why would you want to go there? It’s nothing but ice and snow. Come to think of it,” the unicorn frowned, a puzzled expression coming to her face, “why does the train pass through there and even have a stop, instead of just not going there at all? It just makes trips longer and it’s not like it’s a tourist destination or anything.”

Raven just smirked. “I’ll leave you to figure that out, Smarty Sparkle.”

“Hey!” Twilight snapped out of her train of thought to glare.

Raven gave the tiniest of smirks and waved. “Catch you all sometime soon.” She turned to the princesses. “I’ll leave you to handle the paperwork explaining my being there. Azarath Metrion... Zinthos.

Another portal appeared, this one actually below Raven, but, instead of her moving down to it, the portal came up over her, before closing.

Silence rained for several long moments. It was Spike who broke it.

“What the hay just happened?”

___________________________________________________________

The Royal Guard glanced outside the window at the whirling snow beyond the glass. Sighing, he turned and, lighting his horn, took his mug of hot cocoa and headed into the other room, where three more guards were waiting, one snoring on the couch.

“I’m still loving how we don’t gotta worry about the cold no more,” he said as he moved over to the fridge to get something to eat.

“I know, right?” a Pegasus guard said from his armchair, nodding. “Used t’ be this was the worst job a guard could get. Sure, a lot o’ downtime, but how could you enjoy it when yer freezing yer flank off. Man, I love it that apegirl came to stay here.”

“I’m not an ape,” a monotone voice with a hint of anger said, causing them all to jump and waking the sleeping guard.

Sitting in a corner not too far off from the group of stallions was the biped creature called Raven, floating a few metres of the ground, her legs crossed. When she’d first arrived without warning several weeks ago, the guards had thought they were under attack from some unknown force, yet were hardly able to mount a defense with how they’d been doing their best just to stay warm up here in the frozen north.

However, instead of attack them, the creature had created a black sphere that had expanded outwards until it covered their small station not too far from the train stop, at once shielding them from the cold and snow and even bringing warmth. Since then, the job had become much more enjoyable and, to be honest, none were too much looking forward to when they were assigned somewhere else.

Not to mention, even after all this time, there were some things that still worried them about her. Namely, she never seemed to sleep. They’d even taken shifts at one point to try and see if she had just been pretending and was sneaking sleep whenever they weren’t around.

However, she didn’t. Every time they’d tried, she’d called them out on it, eventually telling them something that none were sure what to think of. She explained that she didn’t wish to sleep, so she meditated to give her body the rest it needed, whilst still remaining awake. That couldn’t be good for her, but they had no idea how to convince her to stop it and just get some sleep like any normal creature.

The guard who’d called her apegirl folded his ears back and looked away sheepishly. “Sorry, Raven.”

Raven took a deep breath, her back still turned as she floated in place. “It’s fine, Broad Wing. I know a being like me isn’t something you’re used to. Still, considering I have been here for several weeks now, I would have expected the ape jokes to have long ended.”

Broad Wing felt a smack on his head and turned to see one of two unicorn guards was glaring at him. “Nice going, Wing. Insult the girl who’s been making it so we can actually enjoy our job.”

“It was a slip of the tongue, I swear,” Broad Wings stuttered, turning to Raven, whose only response was another sigh.

“I know. I can sense your emotions, remember?” she asked, her voice still in a monotone despite the tenseness in the air. “Don’t worry, I know I’m not exactly what most would expect from—”

Suddenly, Raven gasped and dropped to the floor, landing on her feet. At the same moment, the two unicorns bent over, groaning as they held their heads.

“Huh?” the two non-unicorn ponies asked, looking around in confusion. “What’s up?”

“Where did that huge spike in magic come from?” one of the downed unicorns asked.

“Brawn Shoulder!” both stallions turned at the tone of urgency that was somehow both in Raven’s voice and not in it. Somehow, even through her deadpan, they could see something new, though were not sure what. “I’m sending you to Canterlot. You have to inform the princess about what’s happened!”

“What’s happened?” Broad asked, looking from Brawn to the two downed unicorns. “What’s going on?”

“There’s not much time,” Raven said, her hand glowing with the black aura surrounded in white they’d all become used to. “Simply tell her that it has returned. Trust me; she’ll understand what I mean.”

Both stallions glanced at each other, before nodding and Brawn stepped forward.

“Oh, and I’ve something else I need you to tell her as well,” Raven said and they could definitely swear they saw a small smirk on her lips.

___________________________________________________________

Celestia was sitting in her throne room as she filled out some papers. She was still surprised how well things had been going over the last few weeks.

After the creature Raven’s arrival right after she and Luna had sensed that powerful force of Dark Magic, she’d been certain the kingdom would have gone to Tartarus by now.

However, strangely enough, things had actually been pretty quiet. Aside from more Friendship Reports coming from Twilight and her friends, nothing of significance had happened since Raven had apparently exiled herself in the frozen north.

Why she went there, Celestia was not one hundred percent certain. She’d vaguely toyed with the idea that Raven somehow knew what had occurred there a thousand years ago, but that was ridiculous. How could she possibly know that?

She had since come to the logical conclusion that, seeing as Raven had said that her powers were a danger to the kingdom, she had isolated herself for the sake of their subjects. She found it hard to distrust one who’d willingly do that... not to mention the guilt it brought up when she compared Raven to her sister.

She and Luna seemed to share far more than the fact the two utilized Shadow Magic. Luna had even scolded Celestia about how disappointed she was in her that Celestia hadn’t tried to stop Raven from isolating herself... not that Luna had had much luck in contacting the girl herself. From what Luna had told her, Raven had not once entered the Dream Realm since her arrival.

It worried both her and Luna. If Raven powers were really that dangerous, surely her never getting any sleep did not help with controlling them.

As she finished another document and levitated it over to Ink Well, the white Earth Pony mare standing to her left, the throne room doors burst open, catching all within the room’s attention.

It was a white Royal Guard. Brawn Shoulders, she believed. Wait. Why was he here? Wasn’t he stationed up at the post in the frozen north near...

The stallion hurried forward, hesitating when he was standing in front of her. “News from Northern Equestria... uh, Your Highness,” he finished with a bow as she waved off Ink Well.

“Yes?” she asked, hoping it wasn’t something about Raven.

Brawn took off his helmet and held it to his chest. “I am simply to tell you that it has returned.”

Celestia gasped, her eyes widening. No. It had come back? Now? She would need to act quickly.

Turning to another of her guards, she ordered, “Find Princess Cadance and Shining Armour.”

“At once, Your Highness,” the guard she’d addressed nodded, before hurrying off with another of the guards.

Brawn remained, for some reason, but Celestia paid it no mind as she magically reached out for a quill and parchment and began writing to her student. “My dearest Twilight, you must come to Canterlot at once,” she said as she wrote her very words.

A cough caused her to stop and look to Brawn, who was holding a small crystal in his hoof. “Forgive me, Your Highness, but I also have the letter that was given to me by Raven before she sent me here with her magic.”

Wait. Raven had sent him here? Well, that would explain how he could have gotten to Canterlot from the frozen north so quickly.

“Yes?”

Brawn bowed. “My apologies, Your Highness, but she said to give it to you before you sent a message to your student... I’m actually scared she somehow knew you’d do that.”

Celestia herself was scared by that idea. How could Raven have possibly known that, once she had been informed it had returned that she would plan to contact Twilight?

Whatever the reason, Celestia took the message crystal in her magic, excusing Brawn, who hurried off to join his fellow guards as she activated the it to see what Raven had sent her.

The crystal glowed and an image of Raven standing in the small living room on her own appeared. She was wearing a cloak with a hood, hiding her face mostly in shadow.

Dear Princess Celestia,” Raven suddenly stopped and Celestia could swear her expression matched one she’d seen on Twilight several times when she was a filly. “Okay, not gonna lie. Feels kinda cool to be actually saying that and knowing you’ll hear it,” She paused, before facepalming. “Crap. You just saw me fan... girling and I don't feel like having to...” Raven took a deep breath, before returning to her usual deadpan expression.

Anyway, as Brawn has no doubt just informed you, it has returned. Also, why do we have to be so cryptic about it? It’s not like anyone’s gonna intercept this message or him telling you; I’m literally sending him straight to a little outside the throne room once it...” She put a hand to her face, rubbing above her eyes with her fingers. “Getting off topic again. Okay. Whatever. The point of this message is, I know what you’re about to do and I’m here to tell you, don’t pull such a dick move.

Celestia’s eyes widened at the use of language, but Raven continued.

I know you plan on having Twilight and her friends come here to teach her about self sacrifice and I’m just going to say, you’re a dick for doing so! Really? You’re going to risk all those lives and the chance of Sombra ruling again just to teach your student about self sacrifice so you know she’ll be ready to become the next Alicorn Princess.

She rolled her eyes, as if somehow knowing Celestia was now staring at her in shock.

Yeah, yeah, I know. How could I know that was your plan? I’ll be frank will you, Celly; I know a lot of things that will happen over the next couple years. I promise though, I’ll only interfere where it’s needed. But I don’t want you fucking up your kingdom just because you have this stupid habit of turning life-threatening situations into a test.

Raven paused, turning her head, before moving out of view from the screen. A few minutes later, she came back.

Sorry. Sensed one of the guys getting up and didn’t want them hearing this. Oh, yeah, for the record, I’m recording about a week after I came here to the north. Yeah, I’ve been holding onto this recording for that long just so you’ll hear me out.

Celestia was speechless. Raven had recorded this prior to sending Brawn to inform her of what was currently happening?

Anyway, as I was saying, don’t do something so stupid. Don’t send Twilight here, putting all of you know where at risk, just to teach her self sacrifice. There’s plenty of other, much safer and less likely to doom Equestria ways of going about that. I’m going to be helping Cadance and Shining Armour handle Sombra when he comes back. Trust me, he doesn’t know the meaning of fear compared to me. Oh, and I’m going to be bringing Spike here to help out. You ask why? The guy needs a moral boast; one you ponies don’t ever seem to realize he needs and deserves. I already sent Twilight a letter about it a day ago, giving her instructions that you’d know about this too and not to bother you about it.

Whelp, pretty sure Cadance and Shining will be meeting with you any second now, plus, I’ve gotta go make sure Sombra doesn’t jump the gun before they get here, so I’ll end it by saying, we’ve got this, okay? Don’t send Twilight for a test. Once we’re done, Sombra will be beaten, it will be fine and Spike will be a national hero.” Somehow, her deadpan became more deadpanned. “Don’t ask. You’ll learn soon enough. Ciao.

With that, the message ended and the magical screen vanished, the crystal dropping to the floor.

Before Celestia could even respond to what she’d just experienced, the throne room doors opened again, revealing Cadance and Shining Armour as they hurried in.

“Auntie, what’s going on?” Cadance asked as they both stopped in front of the throne. “Auntie?”

Celestia just sat there, not sure how to respond.

Author's Note:

OKAY! Finally, i get a bigger chapter out!

Had to stop it there as i've a few things i need to do and just couldn't focus enough on writing how Raven plans on handling Sombra as well, so you'll have to wait for that.

One reason i've been a bit unable to focus today is... :pinkiecrazy: I know how Season 6 will end! I've seen enough to know and IT. IS. AWESOME!

I won't spoil anything important, because i don't like being that person but it is GUD!

I will only say this, we have confirmation of something we as a fandom came up with for one of the characters and that Trixie, in her first appearance in the episode, has the most adorable expression we have ever seen on her. that's all i'm saying.

Also, Chrysalis is proven to be both a genius tactition... and COMPLETELY STUPID at the same time.

Anyway, now i'm going to get to work on some reworking for the EQG parts in It's A Screwed Up Life, due to evidence proving from this week's episode just how we were right that Pony Rich is the kind one, whilst Spoiled is a bitch, but we have been shown that EQG Rich isn't such a nice guy, so i am taking that into account.

Whelp, that's all from me. hope you like this chapter, especially Raven trolling Celly like she did and, til next time, later everypony