• Published 2nd May 2016
  • 14,336 Views, 467 Comments

Call of a Raven - Autum Breeze



So, first I lose a bet and have to go to Supernova dressed as Raven, then I find myself in the world of MLP, as Raven. Just Great

  • ...
67
 467
 14,336

Chapter 2

Chapter 2



___________________________________________________________

I leap into the air, narrowly avoiding a giant claw of what looks like the chimera from the episode Somepony To Watch Over Me.

“What the heck are you doing here?” I ask, landing several feet away. “Shouldn’t you been in that fire swamp?”

“What’s our dinner talking about?” the lion head asks in a voice deeper than the one in the episode.

“How should I know?” the goat head says, also in a male voice?

“Who cares?” the snake tail asks, it too having a male voice instead of female. “Let’s just eat already.”

“Oh, I get it.” I stand up straight again. “You’re a different chimera.”

Makes sense. The only creature I know of in the series portrayed as the only one other its kind is Discord, though that could just be because the show had yet to have an episode detailing that before I got here.

The chimera roars and I leap up, pressing my hands down on the tiger head and propelling myself over the beast.

I flip as I land, before whirling around, the chimera not having noticed where I am duo to disorientation.

A surge of dark energy flies from my hands, slamming into the chimera. It gets sent hurtling back, smashing through trees until I can no longer see it, just a trail of fallen trees that it had collided with and smashed through.

For several moments I stand there, breathing heavily. Wow. I just fought a chimera. A bloody chimera, and I came out on top.

“What is there here, I see? A creature of darkness in the Everfree?”

I turn around to find a zebra that reaches up to just below my chest standing there, looking at me with cautious confusion.

I sigh, giving a small smile. “Well, glad I could find you, Zecora.”

She blinks, her frown deepening a little. “How is it you know my name? I cannot say the same.”

I deadpan. Okay, that sounded a bit forced. Surely I don’t have to listen to her rhyming every time she talks. I’m sure I could deal with it any other given time, but I’ve Raven’s powers right now.

Any frustrations caused by my trying to figure out some of her more elaborate rhymes could end in disaster if I lost my temper.

Hmm, I wonder.

I holding my hands up to my head, they glow with dark energy and I focus on the idea of hearing Zecora speaking out of rhyme, murmuring, “Azarath Metrion... Zinthos.

I feel something twitch in my head, then lower my hands and look to the zebra.

“What did you just do?” she asks, looking more confused.

I wait for several moments. When she doesn’t finish in a rhyme, I smile. “Hello, Zecora,” I bow slightly. “My name is Raven.”

I blink, frowning. No, Raven is not my name. It’s... it’s...

I cock my head, then shut my eyes, trying to remember my name. Every time I focus though, all I get is “Raven” popping into the forefront of my mind. Great. So this change has somehow made it so I can’t remember even my own name? Wonderful.

“Is something wrong?” her voice shakes me from my thoughts and I see her looking at me with curiosity now.

I sigh, shaking my head. “Just call me Raven.”

“Very well, Raven, dear. What brings you to this forest that most ponies fear?”

I blink, before inwardly shrugging. Guess it couldn’t have worked perfectly. Some rhymes are bound to lip in from time to time.

“I have come for your help, Zecora,” I say, bowing again.

It’s her turn to blink. “What for?”

___________________________________________________________

“That is quite the tale. I can see why, in your task, you do not wish to fail,” Zecora says, refilling my tea mug.

I take it, nodding my thanks and take a sip. I had just finished telling her everything I could. How I’d found myself in this world, how I knew of the powers I now posses, my encounter with the changeling and the dangers my new abilities pose if left unchecked.

“Is there anything you can do for me?” I ask, holding my mug in both hands.

She puts her teapot down and sits, thinking for a moment, before looking to me. “You say this being you’ve become would meditate a lot, correct?”

I nod.

She smiles. “Then I would suggest we start there.” She moves into a sitting position, one that looks more human than pony, anyway. “Come child and we shall see how we fair.”

I get up and move over, sitting cross-legged next to her, putting my hands on my knees.

I’m not really one for this kind of stuff, that’s more my mother’s area, but, if this can help make sure I don’t lose control whilst I’m stuck as Raven, I’ll do what I can.

“Breathe deeply and let you mind flow,” Zecora chants slowly, her voice a low tone. “Whether we need fear your powers, we shall soon know.”

I take her advice and try to calm down, murmuring, “Azarath Metrion... Zinthos.

If Zecora has a problem with my speaking, she doesn’t say it as we remain that was for several minutes, the only sound being my chanting.

___________________________________________________________

Whoa, I blink, looking around. I’m standing in a vast expanse of space. Where am I?

We are inside your mind. I glance to my right to see Zecora standing next to me, looking calm. We need not fear. Nothing can truly harm us here.

Why does that just make me feel more on edge?

Wait, we’re not going to be splitting my personalities into the multi-coloured Ravens, are we? I ask, giving her a skeptical look.

She shakes her head. We do not have that much time. The Raven you speak of had years to learn how to control her emotions. We will merely be making it so you have control over them and do not lose your grip suddenly, until we can work with Twilight Sparkle for an easier solution.

I nod. Makes sense.

Now, she says, pointing a hoof directly in front of me. Imagine a sphere containing all your emotions.

I do just that, a glowing, multi-coloured sphere forming within moments.

Now, focus and gently release each colour from within the sphere, then bind it with your will.

I close my eyes and focus, my hands held out. I slowly move them outwards, the colours of the sphere all separating into their own sphere, before being covered by a dark seal that holds them in place.

Once I’m done, I drop to the ground, feeling exhausted.

A hoof on my shoulder makes me glance up to see Zecora smiling at me. You did well, Raven. For your emotions, this place is now a haven.

I give a wry smile. Okay, that one you did on purpose.

She raises an eyebrow.

I give a small chuckle, standing up. Never mind. So, we’re done. We don’t have to worry about my powers going haywire on us suddenly?

She nods, though frowns. It will not be as easy as you think. Your emotions will always be on the brink. She indicates to the spheres. What we have done is maybe a temporary measure. Twilight Sparkle is the only one whom can assure your emotional balance without displeasure.

I nod, standing with the cloak covering me. So, I should go to her next? You think she might be able to do something?

With my aid, yes. I do believe we can save you from distress. She smiles. But first we have much to do, to show. And there is more about you I wish to know.

I nod. It will take some time to get a good grasp on everything to do with my new powers, but heading for Twilight’s now would probably be a bad idea.

___________________________________________________________

“Oh, this is bad! This is very, very bad!” Twilight Sparkle said as she paced back and forth in her library.

“Twilight, calm down, will ya?” Spike asked as he continued to clean up the mess the lavender mare had created.

Several days ago, his sleep had been interrupted one night by a letter from Princess Celestia. He’d have preferred to wait until morning to show Twilight, but his belch upon receiving the letter had woken her up and, upon reading it, she’d gone into a panic.

According to Princess Celestia’s letter, she and Luna had both sensed a dark presence within the area of the Everfree Forest, so strong they’d been able to sense it all the way in Canterlot.

That in and of itself would’ve been enough to fill Twilight with worry, but when she’d gotten to the part where Celestia said the darkness was stronger and deeper than Nightmare Moon had been, it had been the tipping point, and the library’s current state was the result.

Shelves unorganized, scrolls strewn all over the floor, chalkboards with multiple advanced ideas beyond the baby dragon’s understand; it was a repeat of the Time Travel Indecent all over again, only without the time travel.

Twilight had barely slept over the last few days, running herself ragged.

The princesses had sent the Elements of Harmony to Twilight’s house a few hours after the letter and Twilight had wasted no time in putting on her own Element. Over the last few days, the others had also been given their Elements. The princess wanted them wearing them at all times. She’d estimated that, as long as they wore their Elements, the darkness would not be able to harm them, but it would take all Elements being present to stop it, when it came.

“Twilight, it’s four in the morning,” Spike said, not bothering to hide the grumble in his voice. “You’ve been at this for days now, and we’ve seen no sign of this darkness the princess warned us about.”

“I know, but this could be serious, Spike!” the unicorn stopped and turned to look firmly at him. “We don’t know what kind of dark magic we could be dealing with. For all we know it could be a creature from Tartarus that somehow managed to escape whilst Cerberus was here in Ponyville!”

Spike rolled his eyes. Come on. What were the chances anyone could’ve gotten out of Tartarus?

As the baby drake turned to clean up yet more of the mess Twilight had left, a loud roar suddenly rooted him to the spot.

“What was that?!” Twilight’s cry was followed by her teleporting away, no doubt outside.

Hurrying to the door, Spike went out too, only to freeze in place. A hydra was coming towards Ponyville. What was a hydra doing here?

___________________________________________________________

Azarath Metrion... Zinthos. Azarath Metrion... Zinthos.

I sit, cross-legged, floating above a pool of water, the same pool I believe Twilight will be meditating above when learning how to stop Trixie.

It has been almost a week since I arrived in this world as Raven. Whilst it hasn’t been easy, Zecora has helped me to somewhat keep a handle on my new powers.

I believe that is partially thanks to my being able to detach myself from my emotions before becoming Raven.

You see, luckily, I've always been pretty good at distancing myself from my emotions. Just a natural, I guess.

An example is whenever I lost a loved one to death’s embrace. Whilst everyone else was weeping and wailing, I would feel hurt, but only in part. The sadness is always still there, but it is diluted somewhat and easy to distract myself from. However, it always seemed random. Sometimes I could detach myself no problem, other times the emotions would overwhelm me to a point they were all I could think about.

Still, it has aided in keeping my powers under control as Zecora teaches me further control. Until we can find out if Twilight Sparkle can create an enchantment of some kind to aid my emotional control, this is all we can do.


“Meditation goes well today, I see,” Zecora’s voice pulls me from my trance and I open my eyes to glance at her. She’s standing a little away. “Today is the day you can leave the Everfree.”

I blink, confused. How can she be so sure that today—?

A loud crashing, roars and screams from the direction of Ponyville catch me off guard and I lose my focus, dropping into the water.

“Oh,” I say, standing up, now soaking wet. “Right.”

She nods, indicating in the direction of Ponyville.

I nod back, turning into a shadow and zip off towards the sounds of chaos.

___________________________________________________________

“Everypony, move it!” Rainbow Dash cried, zipping through the sky, herding ponies away from where the hydra was attacking the town.

Applejack and Rarity were trying to hold it down with ropes (Rarity’s being far fancier looking than the farm mare’s due to hers being make from silk), but the hydra was still snapping at anything that got to close.

“Twilight, do something!” Pinkie Pie cried as she narrowly avoided losing her tail to one of the four heads.

Twilight grunted, closing her eyes and trying with all her might, but the magic on her horn just fizzled out. Having not slept and worked non-stop for several days trying to figure out how to handle the darkness the princesses had warned her about, she was too drained to even pull off a sparkle.

And the Elements were no help, as what they were facing was a creature following it’s natural instincts, therefore the Elements weren’t willing to work against it.

Applejack and Rarity screamed as the two heads their ropes had been holding down reared back up, tossing the two ponies into the air.

“NO!” Twilight cried, watching helplessly as her friends fell through the air, heading for the open mouths of the heads.

Azarath Metrion... ZINTHOS!

Suddenly, both Rarity and Applejack were covered back a dark light and halted in place, causing the two hydra heads to snap their mouths closed on empty air.

Twilight blinked as her friends were moved away from the hydra. She saw them lowered down next to a very tall creature wearing a blue cloak.

“Huh? What in the hay is that?” Rainbow Dash asked. She’d flown over when she heard Twilight’s cry, and was now as confused as her and the rest of the Mane 6.

“Leave this to me,” the cloaked figure said to the unicorn and Earth Pony she’d just saved, before launching into the air, her cloak pulling away to reveal a slender, biped-like body similar to Spike’s, only taller and thinner.

The cloaked figure stopped in the air, floating before the hydra. “Well, aren’t you in the wrong place?” it asked. “Come to take revenge on the meals that got away at the bog?”

“The bog?” Twilight blinked, before her eyes widened. Was this the same hydra she, Fluttershy, Applejack, Spike and Pinkie had gotten away from back when she’d been trying to understand Pinkie’s Pinkie Sense?

The hydra roars and the head nearest the creature lunges out at her. she avoids it, but not before another of the heads lashes out at her.

Still moving with the momentum of avoiding the previous head, she isn’t fast enough to completely avoid the second, it tearing through the front of what Twilight sees is a black, leotard-like shirt, exposing the creatures chest, which, oddly enough, seemed to have its teats there.

Twilight couldn’t help frowning at that. Why would the creature’s teats be on its chest? That seemed pretty impractical. Not to mention they were bigger than more teats. Was this creature pregnant?

“Hey!” Twilight’s attention returned to the moment and she saw the creature was now glaring at the hydra, what looked like dark energy moving around the creature like flames as it broiled with anger. “Do you have any idea how much effort my mother put into making this?!”

Her mother? So this creature was not alone?

Twilight could not ponder this as she felt a surging of magic, realizing it was coming from the biped creature. Though, it was an odd magical feeling.

It felt... dark.

Twilight’s eyes widened as they focused more clearly on the creature. Its face was shrouded in shadow due to it wearing the hood of its cloak up, it’s eyes glowing white through the darkness.

Was... was this creature what the princesses had warned her about?

The hydra seemed to sense it was in danger too, taking a step back, whether from the creature’s clear anger or the dark flames surrounding its body, Twilight was unsure.

Dark energy curled around the creatures long claw-like appendages at the end of its arms as it screamed, “Azarath Metrion... ZINTHOS!”

A torrent of what looked like darkness flew from its hands, slamming into the hydra, sending it tumbling backward.

But the creature was not done with it yet. It rushed forward, grabbing the hydra by its tail, hands still glowing, a glow that then spread all over the hydra and pulled, hurling it up into the air, where it then swung the hydra around and around for several moments, before tossing it off, sending the four headed creature soaring through the sky far off into the distance.

All was silent, and all mouths were agape as the creature floated in the air. After some time, it floated back down, landing close to where Twilight and the rest had gathered, along with anypony else brave enough to witness what had just happened.

Upon touching the ground, the creature turned around, lifting its strange long, slim grey claws to its hood and lowered it, revealing a rounded face with a purple mane that reached to just above its neck, before shifting so its cloak was covering its lower body completely.

“Hey there. I’m Raven.”

Author's Note:

There's chapter two.

Sorry to leave i there, but i'm in a bit of a rush today.

Hope you enjoyed this and, til next time, later everypony