• Published 2nd May 2016
  • 14,337 Views, 467 Comments

Call of a Raven - Autum Breeze



So, first I lose a bet and have to go to Supernova dressed as Raven, then I find myself in the world of MLP, as Raven. Just Great

  • ...
67
 467
 14,337

Chapter 1

Call of a Raven


Chapter 1



___________________________________________________________

“I cannot believe you guys,” I growl as we walk into the pavilion.

“Aw, come on, man. You lost the bet, you pay the toll.”

I stop and turn, glaring at him.

My friends and I cosplaying at Supanova. Originally, we were going to come as members of the Justice League... until I lost a bet with my younger brother.

I’m not going to explain what the bet was, it’s too embarrassing.

My punishment for losing the bet, however, is one my friends were all willing to get behind. So, instead of cosplaying as the Justice League, we came cosplaying as the Teen Titans.

Now, you might be wondering, why does that bother you? Cosplaying as Robin, Beast Boy or Cyborg doesn’t sound so bad.

Our group is four guys, one girl. Now, if you know anything of Teen Titans, you know their main team is three boys and two girls.

“Come on, is not that bad,” Starfire says, putting a hand on my shoulder, trying not to laugh.

Figured out why I’m peeved yet?

“Come on, man,” Cyborg says, grinning mischievously. “You make a great Raven.”

“You are so lucky I don’t have her powers,” I growl, pulling from Starfire’s grip and heading further in, leaving them to laugh.

Yeah, I’m stuck dressed as Raven. Not my choice of the two female characters either, even if Raven is my favourite Teen Titan.

So, yeah, big guy dressed in an indigo cloak with a hood, with matching indigo ruffled ankle-boots with blackish-gray soles, with a leotard-like long-sleeved shirt that is blueish-black with cuffs at the wrists of the same blue of the cloak.

Once it was confirmed I’d be stuck going as Raven, my mother went all out to make sure I’d look great. She’s good at sewing and since I’ve rarely asked for much, especially in the last few years, she agreed to do it... when my brother asked.

So, like in the show, on the cloak it has a circular black/red jewel (glass) set in a gold plate that attaches the whole thing together; it covers and around the waist is a red and gold belt with the same jewels around it, while my legs are exposed. The belt ties at the back like a cord.

Hell, they even got me to wear grey body paint and painted a small red diadem on my forehead to make it look even more authentic... as authentic as a guy dressing up as Raven can look, anyway.

I growl, stomping through the pavilion, wanting to put as much distance between me and my friends as I can.

I wanted to come to Supernova to enjoy myself, not suffer ridicule.

You see, I decided to come to Supernova to try and make myself feel better. Family life isn’t exactly at it’s best right now.

My parents recently got divorced and I seem to be the only one of my siblings who feels in anyway hurt about it. I know my parents’ reasoning, but it still hurts and isn’t helped when my siblings don’t seem to give a shit aside from it meaning our dad is out of their lives, which actually makes them happy!

With all that going on, I jumped at the chance when one of my friends asked if I’d like to go to Supanova. I haven’t been to other type of convention like this since, like, I was still in high school, and that was ComicCon at the Adelaide Show Grounds.


“Uh oh, boys. Better watch out,” a guy’s voice jeers from nearby. “Raven’s pissed.”

I snap my head in his direction, my eyes promising death if he says another word. That seems to shut him up, as he and his friends freeze in place for a moment, before running off.

I snort, lifting the hood to hide my face. Teenagers.

“Oh, what an interesting attire.”

I whirl around, growling, “Listen, lady, I—”

I cut myself off, seeing it is an elderly lady sitting at one of the merchandise booths. What shut me up is that she is looking at me normally. There’s no sense of condescending in her expression at all and, now that I think about it, there wasn’t in her tone either.

“Um, yeah, I guess so,” I say, standing straight and rubbing one of my arms sheepishly. Jeez, did I almost just snap at an old lady for speaking kindly? Man, I’m letting my anger at my situation make me a dick.

She just smiles at me, then nods, before indicating to all the items at her stall. “Anything of interest to you, dear?”

I give a wry smile, folding my arms. Not bad. She worked this situation into a chance to sell some product like a pro.

Shrugging, I look over the items she has for sale. I can see some Sailor Moon plushies (that’s all the Sailor Scouts, not just Sailor Moon), some key chains from Astro Boy, even a box with seven very well done glass balls that look like the Dragon Balls from the Dragon Ball series.

However, something else on the table catches my eye and it’s correlation to my current attire has nothing to do with it.

It’s a mirror with black, spiked designs, with a red gem embedded above and below the reflective surface itself and I’ve only seen it in one episode of Teen Titans.

“Raven’s mirror,” I say, picking it up and looking it over.

The craftsmanship is amazing. The details are so good, you could swear this is the real deal.

“How much?” I ask, turning to look at the woman, before I blink.

She... she’s gone.

I glance around, trying to see her, thinking maybe it’s her break and she headed over to the nearby food court. But, looking around, I see no one who looks like the old woman.

Shrugging and deciding I’ll wait to pay her when she gets back; I look closer at the mirror.

I can’t help but frown. Hate to admit it, but, since I shaved before putting on the face paint, I do look a lot like Raven. From a distance you probably wouldn’t even be able to tell I’m a guy.

...

Okay, that thought actually makes me suddenly feel uncomfortable.

Someone runs past me, causing a breeze and I shiver as it goes over my bare legs. Seriously, why couldn’t I just wear some skin-tight pants that were grey or something as opposed to being bare legged.

However, another person comes right after that one that made the breeze, this one not paying enough attention and bumping into me. The sudden thump startles me and I let go of the mirror.

Frantically I reach down to grab it, my hand gripping the handle and I fumble a moment to make sure I have a firm hold.

Sighing with relief and not having dropped the mirror, I look into its reflective surface again, only to cry out when I see two pairs of pure red eyes glaring back at me.

Before I can really figure out what’s going on the world goes black and it feels like my body is being pulled every which way all at once, before feeling myself hit the ground with an "omf".

Ow!

Man, it feels like my head’s been shoved in a washing machine set on high for several minutes.

I sit up, before noticing the feeling of something like dirt underneath my hands.

What? They couldn’t bother cleaning the floor? It’s not been that long since Supanova started. Jeez, are kids coming from the beach running around here or something.

Opening my eyes, I blink, confused as I see a lot of what I can tell is sand in front of my face.

Pushing myself up a bit, I lift my head, only to look around in confusion. There’s nothing but sand for miles. It’s like I’m in the middle of a desert. Glancing up at the sky, I can see the moon out, shining down.

“Okay. I am not in Kansas anymore,” I murmur. Come on, you never made that joke when you suddenly, for reasons you can understand, find yourself somewhere you’ve never been before?

I blink, something sounding off about my voice.

I lift a hand to my throat and feel it, a confused frown coming over my features. I... I can’t feel my Adam’s Apple anymore.

I blink again, before pulling my hand away to look at it, cocking an eyebrow. It seems... slimmer than it used to be. I mean, I don’t have the manliest of hands out there, but they were nowhere near as slim as this before.

“Just what the heck is going on around...?” I lift both hands to my throat this time. “Okay. Why does my voice sound like this? I kinda sound... like...”

My eyes widen and I quickly look myself over, before my fears are confirmed. My body feels different. My hips are more broad and my waist in more slender. I look down and cry out in alarm, bringing my hands up to my chest and feeling the mounds of cloth-covered flesh responding to the feeling of touch. My hands fly down to where my man parts should be and I feel a chill go down my body as they meet nothing, confirming the sudden lack of feeling down there is not an illusion.

“Okay, calm down. Calm down!” I shout at myself as clumps of sand keep bursting with dark energy around me, and putting my hands over my head. “There has to be a rational explanation.” I deadpan, looking up at the sky. “A rational explanation as to why I’ve suddenly woken up in a desert as Raven after dressing up as her at a Supernova convention. Oh, yeah. Like that in and of itself doesn’t have irrationality written all over it!”

Before you ask how I know I’ve somehow turned into Raven, I quickly checked my head and felt something pressing out of it. Something hard and in the shape of a diamond.

Grey skin, slender form, boobs, a diamond shaped thing protruding slightly from my forehead and girl parts down below? Yeah, if I’m not Raven, I’d be very surprised, to be honest.

Some of my friends are fanfic writers and they’ve done stories where people dress up as TV characters, only to somehow find themselves in the worlds of said TV show, so it’s not really too hard to figure out what’s happened here.

The only real difference between my friends’ fanfics and my situation is that what’s happened to me is literally happening.

“Oh, crap,” I say, facepalming. “Please don’t tell me I’m going to have to deal with Trigon. I mean, sure, I don’t have the emotional problems Raven had with him, since I don’t remember her life of being terrified of him save what I know from the show and the Justice League vs Teen Titans movie, but I can’t face him!”

I would rant on further, but something causes me to push, frowning in confusion.

I can... sense, I guess would be the best word to use to explain it, several beings nearby. However, even though I’ve never experienced this before, some instinct tells me they shouldn’t feel this way. Something is... off about that.

A sudden buzzing makes me leap forward, doing a somersault and turning around again to see what came at me.

I blank for a moment.

The creature before me is a quadruped, covered in black chitin, with fin-like things on its head and where a tail would be and its eyes are pure green.

Now, I am a Brony, I will admit that, though I was never as big into it as my friends. I’m more of your casual Brony, I watch the show, check out fanworks from time to time, but that’s about it.

However, when you’ve friends who are bronies, you will read their fanfics about it, if only to give them your opinion on their writing styles. And two of my friends loved writing about the changelings, so I am pretty versed in their appearance, thus can tell this is one of that from just one look.

But, this also gives me an idea of where I am, but still confuses me. Why the hell am I in the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic world, when I’ve turned into Raven.

Raven and MLP being together make about us much sense as, um, Princess Celestia being the princess of the moon?

Okay, maybe that’s a bad example, but I’m dealing with a lot of new things right now, like turning into Raven and finding myself in a world she isn’t really likely to fit into here, so cut me some slack, okay?

The changeling and I pace slowly, it not taking its eyes off me, nor I it as we size each other up. Now, Changelings may not be as facially expressive as ponies in the show, but I can tell this one is giving me a look of cautious confusion and I can somehow feel it is confused as well.

Not that I can blame it. A humanoid-looking creature isn’t too common in MLP. Or, at least, not in the show. Seeing as Minotaurs exist in this world, I wouldn’t be surprised if several other anthropomorphic creatures from Greek Mythology exist.

“So, we just gonna keep walking in circles?” I ask after several moments and inwardly frown. Seriously? I’m speaking in Raven’s monotone too? Well, at least I know I can project some emotion into that. Having watched the show as much as I have, with Raven being my fav character, I’ve learned to hear any emotion Tara Strong was working into the monotone she used for Raven.

The changeling seems to narrow its eyes and cock its head slightly.

I blink, before facepalming. “Of course. What’re the chances you speak the same language as I do.” Sure, Queen Chrysalis did in the show, but for all I know, Equestrian might not sound like English in the actual world of MLP. In all likelihood, since a lot of the show has influences from Greek mythology, it’s likely they speak Greek.

Great. I don’t speak that. So, the only question now is, how do I speak the language when I’ve never heard...?

I blink again, before looking down at my hands, before smacking myself in the head again. Duh. If I’m Raven, I might have her powers.

Scratch that. Just remembered the episode where she and Starfire switched bodies. When Starfire panicked in Raven’s body, everything around her kept exploding with Raven’s dark energies, which is what the sand was doing during my freak out a few moments ago.

No, hold on. Of I remember correctly, I may not need to use a spell of any kind to learn how to speak the language. Raven’s bio says she speaks several languages, including Latin, which is derived from Greek in the first place.

Here’s hoping my luck holds out and they speak Latin.

Hang on a tick. How do I speak it?

“Wait,” I look down to my hands. “Okay, so, I’ve got Raven’s powers. Let’s see if I can work with this.” I close my eyes, feeling dark energy surrounding my hands. “Now, concentrate. Like Raven told Star, find your centre, then just... think about it, I guess.” Since I am Raven now, maybe I can unlock an innate ability to speak Latin. After a few moments, I think I’ve found it and call out, “Azarath Metrion... ZINTHOS!

I feel the dark energy spread all over my body, focusing around my throat. When the feeling fades, I open my eyes and look to the changeling, which has taken a defensive stance. I can sense the caution in its... aura, I suppose. Wait. I can sense emotions now? Cool.

I hold out a hand. “Look, I don’t want any trouble. I don’t even know how I got here, so just chill a moment.” I blink, before folding my arms, smirking. “Wow. Hearing Raven talk like that?” I chuckle. “This might not be so bad.” Then I relize my arms are crossed over my new chest and pressing down and I quickly unfold them. “Okay. Breasts are still gonna take some getting used to.”

The changeling feels confused again, though is still on alert. “How did you speak our tongue?” it hisses.

I blink. Wow. I’m honestly surprised it could talk. I personally always thought Chrysalis was the only changeling that could speak, though I guess if Changelings have their own language the drones in the part two of the finale hadn’t bothered or just didn’t know Equestrian. Though, it seems he speaks Latin fine. Guess it would make sense, seeing as changelings need to pretend to be others.

In answer to his question though, I think I’ll be a troll. “Magic.”

It works. I can feel an annoyance from the insect thing as its eyes narrow a bit.

“You will come, creature,” it says, stepping forward.

I blink, before folding my arms (taking care not to come into contact with my new girls again), and give a deadpan expression. “Hmm. You mean to be taken to your queen and likely be put in a pod for the rest of my days until I’m an empty husk?” I smirk, dark energy glowing around my hands. “Yeah. I think I’ll pass.”

The changeling growls and lunges toward me.

Azarath Metrion ZINTHOS!” I chant quickly, thrusting my arms out. A blast of dark energy flies from both, slamming into the changeling. It shoots backward, flying higher and higher until I can’t see it anymore.

I remain motionless for a moment, before moving into a more neutral stance and wave, smiling sheepishly. “Um, sorry,” I call out. I did not mean to send him flying like that. Guess I’ll need more practice.

I blink, before scowling, dark energy moving like flames around my body. “Practice? Practice?! I’m not even meant to be Raven!”

An explosion of sand flies up around me, before settling down, at which point I’ve a blank expression on my face, my anger cooled.

“Right, right,” I shake my head, putting a hand to my forehead. “Raven’s powers are driven by emotion. The more I feel, the more energy I unleash.”

How I’m meant to keep calm about this to prevent more energy release, I have no idea. It’s not like there’s someone in this world who has skill in spiritual ways and...

I stop myself from facepalming, if only because I feel if I keep doing that I’m going to get a bruise. Zecora. Of all the characters from the show, she’d probably be the most likely to be able to help me out with something like this. She did do the Jedi training thing with Twilight in Magic Dual after all.

Sighing, I look around, my cloak covering me completely as move my view around.

Nothing but desert for east to west. Great.

“Okay,” I say, taking a deep breath. “I know Raven can teleport in a sense, so, focus. If I want to speak with Zecora, seeing as I’ve no real clue where I am beyond the bad lands, teleporting is my only real aid here.” I do my best to picture Zecora’s hut in my mind. “Azarath Metrion... ZINTHOS!

The world becomes darkness and all feeling and sound just vanish.

___________________________________________________________

Celestia awoke suddenly, sitting up in her bed and turning her eyes to a window that revealed the Everfree Forest in the far distance near Ponyville.

She was still, her breathing slow and intentionally shallow to make little noise as possible. Like someone hearing a thump in their house as they lie in bed, Celestia had sensed something.

It had barely lasted more than a couple of seconds, but it had been powerful.

What troubled her was it felt not like a normal surge of magic. Whatever she had sensed had felt dark, very dark. Not even Sombra or Nightmare Moon had ever had this sense of darkness.

It was something she had never felt before, and it chilled her to the bone.

Quickly getting up and, despite her weariness of being up so late, her bed beckoning to her, she levitated on her regalia and opened her bedroom doors, much to the surprise of the guards stationed outside it.

“Your Highness?” the one of the right asked, giving her a confused expression whilst still saluting to her.

“I must speak with my sister at once,” she said, turning and making her way down the hall. “Also, have word sent to Princess Cadance to return from her diplomatic meeting Romaneia.”

“Yes, Your Highness,” they nodded, one heading off to have a message sent to the Alicorn of Love, whilst the other followed after the princess.

___________________________________________________________

Luna was finding it very hard to keep her focus on the unicorn noble before her continued his riveting explanation as to why it would be right for her Night Court to allow him to build a shopping complex over one of the parks she knew from having frequented it that many families enjoyed going to.

As he was going over how the revenue would aid in furthering Canterlot’s fame, Luna sat up straight, her eyes wide, as if she’d been zapped by a bolt of lightning.

Paying no mind to the stallion’s blabbering, well, less than what little she had been already, anyway, Luna quickly turned her gaze to the windows of the throne look, her eyes fixed in the direction of Ponyville, or, more accurately, the Everfree Forest, the place of her descent into darkness and freeing from it.

She had sensed it. Darkness. Though, this was unlike the kind that had taken over her. There was something different about this darkness. Something... well, darker, she supposed.

It was hard to put into words how it had felt, if she were perfectly honest.

One thing she could not deny though, was it had been powerful. Never had she sensed such a strong dark presence.

“Your Highness?”

She turned at the indignant tone to see the unicorn looking up at her with displeasure, as if he really expected she should be interested in his blustering.

She opened her mouth to explain why what she had just sensed was of far greater concern than he’s self-centred ideas, when the throne room doors were opened and Celestia hurried in, followed by one of her guards.

Luna stood at once, having a good hunch why her sister would be up this late.

“You sensed it, didn’t you, Luna?”

That was a "yes".

Luna nodded. “Indeed, sister. This is most troubling. Have you contacted Twilight Sparkle?”

Celestia stood still momentarily, before levitating over a piece of blank parchment and a quill from one of the nearby tables, quickly writing down a message to her personal student, then sent it off.

A wave from Luna told all present that the Night Court was over for tonight and they all left, the noble grumbling like a foal that didn’t get a new toy they wanted.

“So,” Luna said as her sister looked to her again once the room was empty. “How badly do you think this will go?”

“I hate to guess, sister,” Celestia shook her head, moving over to the window and looking out. “This is like nothing we have ever felt before.”

“Do you think Twilight Sparkle and Cadance will have sensed it as well?” the dark Alicorn asked, moving to stand next to her sister.

Celestia shook her head. “Twilight may be the most magically gifted unicorn to ever exist and Cadance’s magic is tied to the emotions of others, but that does not mean they have the skill to sense things as we do.” She closed her eyes, her expression grim. “And, whatever it is we face now, may very well be the most dangerous being Equestria has ever encountered.”

___________________________________________________________

The darkness only lasts a moment, before the chill of the desert is replaced with a slightly more humid feeling.

Opening my eyes, I look around, smirking. “Everfree Forest. Not bad for a first teleport.”

Taking stock of where I am, I try to guess how close I might be to Zecora’s hut.

However, I’ve barely had a few moments to think before a loud roar near deafens me.

I turn around and look up.

“Oh, you have got to be kidding me.”

Author's Note:

Yep, one of two new fics i wanna get a bit done of before returning to An Apple Far From The Tree.

Never tried this type of HiE before, so i'm curious to see how well i do here.

So, how do you think "Raven" will handle living in Equestria. How well will her first interactions with the ponies go? What adventures does she have to look forward to? and will there be something involving her powers that will effect Equestria?

You'll have to wait and see.

Hope you enjoyed this and, til next time, later everypony.