• Published 10th May 2016
  • 2,031 Views, 106 Comments

"When's the Wedding?" And Other Rumbaloo Tales - Candy-Sweets_12



Taking place after "Just Kiss Already!" Scootaloo and Rumble adjust to their new lives as adults and Academy training. Not to mention more than a few unexpected surprises along the way.

  • ...
6
 106
 2,031

Chapter 7 Truce

Scootaloo groaned as she pulled herself out of bed, knowing she likely wasn't going to have the best day. According to what Rainbow Dash and Soarin' have told her about the Academy, this was the day of the Flag Hunt.

Meaning she'd have to work with Comet. Unless she wanted to be disqualified.

"Rough night?" Sky Bound asked, hearing her groans.

"Yeah." Scootaloo brushed off.

Sky Bound shrugged, deciding to let the topic drop.


Once everyone had filed out of their rooms, and made it outside, Spitfire went on to explain the instructions. Scootaloo avoided looking at her wing pony, why him, of all ponies? She would've gladly have been someone else's lead, or wing pony. Why did it have to be the biggest jerk in the compound? Now she had to deal with his flirting, and whatever else for the rest of the week. If only she had flown a little bit faster, if only the smallest change in scores occurred-

"Are you listening private?!" Spitfire screeched, moving into Scootaloo's face.

Scootaloo snapped out of her gaze, ignoring the snicker from everypony else.

"Yes ma'am." she said clearly.

"Don't forget that I'll be keeping a close eye on you recruits this year, if you two get separated, you will immediately be disqualified!" she moved into Comet's face. "Am I clear?" she asked.

Comet swallowed the lump in his throat, his smug smirk long gone. "Yes ma'am."

Spitfire stepped back, a satisfied smile on her lips. "Good. As I was saying, there will be two teams, the red team, and the blue team. " Scootaloo felt a bit disappointed to see Rumble and Sky Bound on the blue team, but she didn't really acknowledge it. She did notice how the other pair on her team seemed to be a bit disappointed as well. "Whoever finds the most flags of the opposing team's color, wins." she announced. Everyone nodded in understanding.

"This is for training purposes, not recess," she glared at one particular pair of ponies "so lead ponies and wing ponies are to stay together. And I'm sure if you were paying attention to Scootaloo's demonstration, than you know what happens if you don't." Scootaloo bit her lip as a few ponies snickered.

'I really need to stop spacing out so much.' she thought to herself.

"Everyone got that?" Spitfire asked.

"Yes Ma'am!" the recruits shouted.

"Good." she said, she took the whistle and blew it harshly. "Now get out there!!"

Comet took off, leaving Scootaloo to follow after. "Hey!" she shouted, following after him, which proved to be a bit difficult, considering he was zigzagging about. "We're supposed to stick together, remember?" she shouted over the wind.

"After you then, Ma'am." Comet said, holding his hooves out. Scootaloo rolled her eyes and scoped the place, looking for any hints of red. After a few minutes with no results, she turned to him.

"You see anything yet?" she asked. Comet didn't answer.

"Did you see anything yet?" she asked, a bit louder this time, in case he hadn't heard the first.

"Not yet." he replied he replied with a smile, which she chose to ignore. When another flagless minute or so passed, Scootaloo turned back to him.

"Are you sure you can't see anything?" she asked.

"How could I? I'm too distracted by your beautiful mane."

"Comet, I'm not in the mood to deal with your flirting, now's hardly th time for it. Can you just pay attention and quit messing around?" she asked in a slightly annoyed tone.

"Alright, no need to be so bossy." he said.

Scootaloo bit her cheek. They did find a blue flag, and Comet was quick to snatch it and bring it back to Spitfire, leaving Scootaloo to follow.

"Can you maybe tell me if you find a-"

"Found one!" he swooped down.

"Wait!" Scootaloo shouted. She had no choice but to follow, knowing they were being closely monitored.

Comet grabbed the blue flag with his hoof, before making a b-line to where Spitfire stood.

'This guy just doesn't listen, does he?' she thought. She followed behind, scowling all the while.

Once they came to a stop on the runway, the wing pony held the flag out proudly. Spitfire glared at the two.

"I'm confused, which one of you is the wing pony here?" she asked, taking off her glasses.

"What do you mean?" the stallion asked, raising a brow in her direction.

"I mean that you went by your own rules, cadet. Your job was to follow, not to take over. If you want to be a Wonderbolt, I suggest that you change that quickly." she said. Comet's proud expression faded.

"Yes ma'am." he muttered.

"And as for you, Scootaloo, you need to take charge. If he is out of control, your job as a leader is to confront him. If you want to be on the team, you'll have to work as one. Am I clear?!"

"Yes ma'am." Scootaloo said.

"Good, now get out there and find the rest of those flags!"

The two took off, once they were out of hearing distance, Comet immediately zipped to another place.

"Oh no, not again." Scootaloo said. "Comet!" she yelled. The stallion turned back. "If we're going to win this, then we're going to have to at least try to work together, so can you maybe tell me if you find a flag before getting it for yourself?" she asked, clearly agitated.

"You know, I'd actually listen to you if you didn't have to be told to boss me around." he remarked.

"You know, we could actually win if you weren't so stubborn." she shot back.

"You don't have to be so demanding either. You're a big pony, you don't need my help 24/7. You can find flags on your own."

"But I do have a wing pony who can actually, you know, help me!"

"Whatever." Comet said with a roll of his eyes. "It's always the pretty ones that ask for the most." he muttered, flying away.

Scootaloo scoffed. "Fine. Don't listen to me, but don't be surprised when you get kicked out of the Academy."

As much as Scootaloo tried to keep her wing pony in check, the stallion was just too stubborn to listen. In the end, the blue team found all of the red flags, before Scootaloo's team could find all the blue ones.

As the red team came in for a landing, the other pair glared at the two, scowling all the while. Scootaloo glanced away from Comet, biting her tongue. She was afraid she'd yell if she said anything.

"The Blue Team wins!" Spitfire announced. The recruits cheered and gave each other a series of hoof bumps. "Congratulations," Spitfire continued. "As for the Red Team, some of you need to learn to cooperate."

"Blue Team, you go hit the mess hall early, as for the Red Team, you can start learning to work together by cleaning the hallways." The Blue Team cheered as they made their way to the cafeteria. Rumble and Sky Bound brushed past Scootaloo, and for a second, the two gave Scootaloo a concerned look, but she avoided their eyes.

"Everything alright?" Rumble asked quietly.

"Yeah." Scootaloo brushed off, still too angry to say much.


"I can't believe this! We should be the ones eating in there, not them!" Comet exclaimed, stomping into the hallway. Scootaloo threw a wet sponge at him, shutting him up.

"That doesn't matter, all we can do is worry about getting this done." she said flatly, before turning back to the wall, scrubbing it.

"Did you see how many flags I found? Not that my lead pony was any help. We should've won!"

"You found two flags, I found one, our team mates found the rest."

"Well that Spitfire lady doesn't know what she'd talking about."

"She's the captain of the Wonderbolts, and she's been teaching recruits for years, she's more than qualified to teach us." One of the other team mates shouted, training his angry rose colored eyes on him.

"Even a prick like you." The other added, training her silver eyes on him and tightening her jaw.

"Well then the blue team shouldn't have won, they must've had less flags to collect." he rambled, still refraining from doing any of his work.

"They totally had an unfair advantage, they had the team with the best scores!" he continued. Scootaloo tilted her ears down, glaring at a certain spot in the wall, biting her lip to keep from responding. She was tired of his complaints, he had no right to complain in the first place.

'Don't snap, don't snap, don't snap...' she told herself, though as the stallion continued, that proved to be more and more difficult.

"I shouldn't have been on this cruddy team." The other pair chose to ignore the comment, deciding to finish the wall they were working on.

"Or paired up with such a terrible lead pony."

That did it.

"Well maybe, we wouldn't have been stuck here, if you hadn't been too damn stubborn to listen!" Scootaloo said, throwing her sponge in a nearby bucket, causing some of the water to splash on him.

"Hey, what gives?" he asked, jumping back and turning to her.

"Newsflash, bucko," she continued. "I didn't want to be stuck with you either! But guess what? I did! And look at what's happened because of it!" She flew down from her spot and stepped into his face, giving him a bone chilling glare.

"I'm stuck in here with you, cleaning hallways that the rest of us shouldn't have to clean in the first place! All you had to do was listen! But you could hardly listen for one damn second, yet you have the audacity to blame us?!" She lowered her voice an octave.

"Unlike you, I actually care about being here, and I actually respect the other recruits and their goals to become Wonderbolts. So if you want to complain and blame everyone else for your own choices, if you want to be stubborn and ignore the simplest instructions, and make yourself look like a damn fool, if you want to spoil my chances of becoming a Wonderbolt, then you really don't deserve to be here in the first place. Because I highly doubt that the Wonderbolts will accept someone as arrogant, selfish, and stubborn as you!"

Scootaloo's words echoed across the hallway, causing the sound of scrubbing sponges to stop. The other duo, went silent as well, turning to the pair with widened eyes. But they remained quiet, knowing it'd be better to not to intervene.

Before he could respond, Scootaloo took the sponge and rung it, flying back up to her place from before, the tips off her ears still painted an angry red.


"So you finally snapped, huh?" Rumble asked.

"Yeah," Scootaloo sighed. "He was really getting on my nerves."

"What'd you say to him?"

"I told him about how much of a fool he makes of himself, especially since he has the nerve to blame me and our team mates, when they found most of the flags."

"Seems like it was pretty intense."

"I may have gotten a bit carried away, though." Scootaloo admitted.

"How so?" Sky Bound questioned.

"I called him a stubborn fool, and said that he had no place in the Wonderbolts." she explained.

"Sheesh, that's pretty harsh, even to him." Sky Bound said.

"I guess it was. I was just so angry, you know?" Scootaloo said. "Wouldn't you be frustrated if you had to work with someone like that?"

"Well, I guess you have a point there. But winning wasn't all that it was scraped up to be." Rumble said. "All they did was give out a few cookies with our trays." Rumble said.

"It's better than scrubbing walls for an hour." Scootaloo mumbled.

"True." Rumble shrugged. "but I snagged an extra one for you." he said quietly, as though it was a big secret. Scootaloo couldn't help but chuckle as he pulled it off of his tray.

"You mean that all that time, when I asked you for your cookie, you had an extra one?" Sky Bound asked.

"Yep." Rumble said, handing it to Scootaloo. Scootaloo chuckled again as Sky Bound playfully pouted and crossed her arms.

"Cookie hog." she mumbled.

"Thanks, Rumble." she grinned.

Scootaloo bit into it, before glancing at a table to her left, which was completely vacant, save for one lone stallion sitting there, who didn't seem to have touched his food.

She sighed, pulling the cookie away, chewing slowly. She didn't really feel like she deserved it. Rumble followed her eyes and sighed too.

"You really feel bad, don't you?"

"Yeah, I mean I don't like the guy, but I shouldn't have yelled at him or called him that." Scootaloo muttered around chocolate chips. "Maybe calling him a stubborn fool was too harsh."

"Honestly, that's a little like the pot calling the kettle black if you ask me." Rumble said.

"What?" Scootaloo asked. Rumble rolled his eyes.

"It means it's kind of ironic of you to call him stubborn, when you tend to be stubborn yourself. You really ought to know this."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Scootaloo asked defensively.

"It means you tend to be pretty stubborn too, Scoot." Rumble continued, smirking at her.

"That was rhetorical." Scootaloo muttered.

"I know." Rumble added. Scootaloo sighed.

"And how am I supposed to know what the pot telling the -whatever you said, means?"

"Well considering it's a common phrase in Ponyville these days, I would've expected you to know it by now."

"Whatever, Rumble. Unlike you, I don't keep a track record of different phrases in Ponyville."

"Can we get back to the subject?" Sky Bound interjected. The two glanced at her before turning back to Comet. Before nodding in agreement.

"I really should go talk to him, I don't want the rest of the week to be like this."

"You want me to go with you?" Rumble said.

"Thanks, but I think I can handle it." Scootaloo smiled at him, before standing up.

Once she approached the table, Comet glanced up and scowled.

"What do you want? Did you come to scream at me some more?" he asked harshly.

"No, I actually came to apologize." Scootaloo shot back.

"Oh, did you now? So the feisty pony has finally developed a soft side for me?" he asked flirtatiously with a smirk.

"That's not the case at all." Scootaloo assured him. "I actually want to make a truce."

"A truce? What is this a war?"

"Can you just hear me out?" Scootaloo asked in an annoyed tone. She stopped and took in a deep breath. "Look, Comet. I don't want to spend the rest of the week screaming at you. That wasn't cool."

"You're right about that." Comet interjected.

Scootaloo ignored the comment. "I guess that I was pretty upset that I wasn't paired up with someone I was comfortable with."

"Oh really? Seemed like you were upset about losing too."

"Speak for yourself." Scootaloo remarked. "I'm just trying to say that we don't have to be friends, but can we at least put our own wants aside so we can get through this? Neither of us will make it through the Academy if we can't suck it up and work together."

"So that's what you came here for? To talk about teamwork? What's next, are you going to give me a friendship bracelet?" he mimicked.

"I also came here to say I'm sorry for screaming at you. Remember? And I shouldn't have called you those names. They wouldn't let you be here if you weren't Wonderbolt's material, and it's not my place to say or think otherwise."

Comet paused, taken back. He softened his glare a bit. "I guess I haven't exactly been the best wing pony I could be. And I guess I don't put in as much work as I should. I was lucky enough to be considered for the Academy, let alone let in it. But I haven't been showing it."

"Not a single bit." Scootaloo said.

"Well, I guess I could try and put up with your demands." Comet said, returning back to his usual tone.

"I'm not going to settle for a try, I need a will. If I'm putting up with you, you're putting up with that. Can you handle it?" Scootaloo asked sternly.

Comet held his hooves up. "Sheesh, I hear ya. Fine. But I'm only doing it because of the pleading look in your eyes." he said with a smirk. Scootaloo took to rolling them.

"Good, we're busting clouds tomorrow, so you're going to have to bring your attention. And try not to be so stubborn. Got that?" she asked, turning away from him.

"Yes ma'am." he said with a salute, winking at her.

Scootaloo walked back to her table, where Sky Bound and Rumble waited.

"How'd it go?"

"He tried flirting with me towards the end, but I think he'll be willing to cooperate a bit more."

"Well good luck." Sky Bound said.

"I'm definitely going to need it." Scootaloo sighed.

"Wait, he tried flirting with you again?" Rumble interjected.

"Yeah. Something about doing it for the look in my eyes." she said in an annoyed tone.

"Still the same old player." Rumble said with a shake of his head, "If he tries anything funny-"

"You'll pummel him to the ground." Sky Bound interjected. "We know." Scootaloo smirked.

"Aw, you'd really do that for me?" Scootaloo asked with a smile.

"Of course I would." Rumble huffed.

"Sometimes you can be such a gentlecolt, you know that?" Scootaloo smirked. knowing she'd make Rumble blush a bit.

Author's Note:

I apologize for the hiatus, writer's block and procrastination can be such a pain. Thank you guys for sticking with me and putting up with it, I hope you enjoyed this chapter, I really do. If you have any suggestions for future chapters or stories, be sure to let me know in the comments below, also, feel free to add anything else in there, constructive criticism is appreciated. With that,

Peace, Love, Tolerate,

~Candy