• Published 10th May 2016
  • 2,033 Views, 106 Comments

"When's the Wedding?" And Other Rumbaloo Tales - Candy-Sweets_12



Taking place after "Just Kiss Already!" Scootaloo and Rumble adjust to their new lives as adults and Academy training. Not to mention more than a few unexpected surprises along the way.

  • ...
6
 106
 2,033

Chapter 3 "Accepted"

Rumble yawned as he flew to his mailbox, taking a moment to stretch before opening the door. He took the mail out, shutting the door as he went back inside, groggily wiping the sleep from his eyes before sorting through them. Scootaloo, who was finishing her breakfast glanced up, setting her plate in the sink.

"What's up?" she asked. Rumble flipped through the pile, setting the miscellaneous aside. He paused when he found two specially sealed envelopes. Scootaloo glanced over the counter and perked up once she found them in Rumble's hole. She immediately rushed over to Rumble and took the one with her name on it.

She took to ripping through the envelope, before skimming through the letter, a grin spreading over her face. Upon the last words, she jumped into the air and spun about.

"Yes!" she cried out. Causing Rumble to grin.

"Didn't you already know we got in?" he said.

"I know that, " Scootaloo said, landing next to him. She held it out to him. "They want us to be there now." she grinned. Rumble skimmed through the letter, rereading it a few times to make sure he got it all right.

"Besides, sometimes these letters can have something else important in them, the Wonderbolts can always find some complication in our records between the time they told us and now."

"Fair point." Rumble admitted. He opened his letter and found that it had the same response. He smiled. "Let's go." he stated. Scootaloo was already in her room, getting her saddlebag and retrieving Rumble's. She came in just as Rumble was looking up from the letter. She then strapped her own saddlebag on, tightening the strap as Rumble did the same.

"Ready?" Rumble asked, looking up from his belongings.

"Hold on." Scootaloo said. She pulled out 4 envelopes from her bag, smiling when she saw the confused look on Rumble's face. "These are for our family and friends, to let them know where we'll be for the next few weeks." she explained. "I wrote them ahead of time."

"I think you've been hanging out with Twilight too much." Rumble retorted.

"It's always good to be prepared." Scootaloo shrugged.


Twilight glanced up from her book, feeling a chill go down her spine. She perked her ears up, as though she heard something unfamiliar. She then shrugged and went back to Sherlock Pones.


"After you," Rumble said, holding the door out and bowing his head. Scootaloo rolled her eyes, but she couldn't help but smile.

She stepped out and Rumble quickly locked the door behind her. She paced in place frantically while Rumble struggled with his house keys, growing impatient like a small child of sorts.

"Come on, I don't want to be late." she complained.

"If that's the case," Rumble started, he sped past her, catching her off guard. Scootaloo dropped for a second before she caught herself, steadying her flying.

"race ya!" Rumble challenged from a distance. Scootaloo rolled her eyes again, but chuckled. "Oh grow up, Rumble."

"I'm not the one who has the patience of a filly." Rumble shot back.

"This is so silly, you know," she said, speeding up to him at an impossible speed. She stopped just in front of him, giving him a teasing look. "you already know I'm going to beat you." she claimed.

"We'll just have to see about that." Rumble grinned. He cracked his wings, slingshotting himself towards their destination. He left a loud BOOM, much like thunder, in his place, leaving Scootaloo's hair, as well as every poor cloud that happened to be in range, overturned. Scootaloo knitted her brows in determination, grinning, she quickened the beating of her wings, until they resembled a starting engine. She then took off, leaving a mauve and orange trail of color behind her.


In her years as a Wonderbolt, Spitfire was used to seeing Flashy entrances for new recruits. While she would admit, many impressed her, she was never surprised to see them. Well, except for one certain entrance by a certain pair. Just as Rumble was going to land on the runway, ready to tease Scootaloo about his upcoming victory, Scootaloo came from seemingly nowhere and tackled the stallion.

The two went tumbling to the ground, rolling around before coming to a complete stop, where Scootaloo was standing over Rumble, her forelegs planted onto his shoulders, pressing him into the ground with a smirk.

"Pinned ya." she declared.

"Alright, alright, you win." Rumble said, sitting up. He shifted to a sitting position and looked at Scootaloo.

"And now you owe me dinner." she demanded, sitting next to him.

"I don't remember that being apart of the race."

"It is now."

"Fine." Rumble grumbled. "At least we made it in time."

"Are you two done?" one mare from the side said, pretending to gag at the two. She pointed a hoof towards her opened mouth and rolled her yellow-green eyes at the pair.

"Are you done sticking your muzzle in our business?" Scootaloo retorted. The mare smiled.

"Just about."

"Good."

"I like your style," the mare said, stepping over. "I'm Sky Bound," she greeted. she held her hoof out for Scootaloo, who took to bumping it. "Welcome to the Academy."

"Scootaloo, and this is Rumble." she replied, standing up.

"Nice to meet some cool ponies around this place. I thought I was the only one." she laughed.

"Sure." Scootaloo plainly stated.

"Oh don't be like that, I'm not that cocky." the mare said, wrapping a wing around Scootaloo. "I'd like to get to know you two a little more. It'd be nice to know some future colleagues before we start."

"Fair point." Scootaloo said.

"Come on, we should go get our uniforms." the mare said. She brushed her light gray mane from her eyes, a very thin and light strip of blue, nearly white, hung loosely from one part of her short mane. Which was styled in an up-do, which suited the mare in her own way.

"Good idea." Scootaloo said. She matched the mare's pace, Rumble casually coming by close to her side.


"Wow." Scootaloo said, she turned in front of the mirror, amazed at how the uniform suited her. A few other female recruits had come in since the time she received it, and were putting them on, chattering with the others about how excited they were to have been accepted.

"Surprised?" Sky Bound asked, stepping up next to her.

"Yeah." Scootaloo admitted. "I can't believe I'm finally here is all."

"Can't really say I blame you." Sky Bound said. "We've all come pretty far to get here."

"Yeah." Scootaloo agreed.

Just then, a loud buzzer rang, signaling for everyone to go outside. Everypony bustled about, leaving the locker-room as quickly as possible. The mares mixed with stallions just as they started going out.

"Feel free to test out the training course." one stallion, who worked there, said. "Just be sure to get into formation." he fixed his sunglasses. Some ponies shrugged and took to the sky, moving to the obstacle course.

Not too long afterwards, Rumble came to a stop behind Scootaloo, as silently as possible trying to surprise her a bit while she talked with Sky Bound.

"If you try one thing, I swear to Luna's Moon you will never be seen again." Scootaloo said out of nowhere. Sky Bound looked confused before she looked behind Scootaloo to find a nervous Rumble standing there.

"How'd you know it was me?"

"We've known each other since we were kids, Rumble. I know a lot about you." she laughed.

"I could say the same about you." Rumble said.

"Oh really?" Scootaloo asked with a grin.

"Try me."

"Who are the three other crusaders of the Cutiemark Crusaders?"

"Discord, Imp, and Babs. Come on, Scoot, give me a challenge."

"When did I stop using my scooter to get around?"

"After you learned to fly properly." Rumble said with a yawn.

"Six years ago, who did I dress up as for Night Mare Night?"

"Daring Do."

"You're good."

"Could you two be anymore corny?" Sky Bound said with a roll of her eyes.

"No, this is basically the limit for us." Rumble answered.

Sky Bound rolled her eyes and jumped into the air. "Well I'm going to leave you two alone for a bit, try not to spare everyone of the romance."

"I'll try." Scootaloo shrugged. Rumble laughed and Sky Bound went to the obstacle course.

Scootaloo laughed as well. Until she stopped suddenly. Her smile faded, and the happiness in her eyes quickly turned to disbelief. It was like it was all a dream, being there. But then, one thing, one small yet gargantuan thing changed it, and brought her straight back to reality. Crushing the seemingly colorful and happy world into a dozen little pieces.

'No. This can't be real. There's no way this could actually be happening.' Yet it was. Such a small world she lived in. Such an unlucky, cruel, dream-crushing world.

"Scootaloo?" Rumble asked, worry painting his face. he followed her gaze. "What's wrong?" just then, he came to the same realization, and his eyes widened. "No way." he said.

Author's Note:

So sorry for the late update, hope you all enjoy this chapter, it was a blast to right. Sorry for the little cliffhanger, but I figured this chapter was long enough as it is, I'll continue it a-s-a-p. Also, whoever can guess what the big deal is, gets an internet cookie! (They're Oreos) *Waves jar of Oreos around teasingly*

Thanks for reading! Feel free to leave a suggestion for future chapters/stories below, I'll be sure to read through them, I enjoy reading your ideas.:twilightsmile: Also, it's officially been over a year since I started this account! So let's celebrate with another Q&A! (For the next blog I post please.)

With that,

Peace, Love, Tolerate,

-Candy