• Published 21st Apr 2016
  • 1,381 Views, 114 Comments

Aria - SprocketProductions



Aria is a male to female transgender pony with struggles even more than normal ponies

  • ...
42
 114
 1,381

8 The Cardinal

I sat on the front porch of our home, drinking my coffee. We were in a slightly more rural area, living in an a neighborhood in which the houses were several meters apart each. There were also numerous trees around, giving off the illusion that we were in the woods. I remembered when I would imagine I was a beautiful princess. I looked at the chrome wind chime, seeing my temporarily female face. I didn't have to pretend now. I most certainly was beautiful, and I was definitely Flare's princess. It felt amazing to relive my foalhood fantasy as something real.

I closed my eyes and began to relax. Breathing in, I felt the cool air enter my lungs, giving me a cool, soothing sensation that brought down the temperature of my warm lungs. I was loving every single minute of being physically female and hoped that Flare could make it permanent after the few days I was given. I heard a fluttering noise and a slight gust of what felt like wind. Opening my eyes revealed a bright red cardinal, standing on the railing of the porch, looking directly at me. I remembered a time when I envied their beauty, but no more. We were now both beautiful.

I held out my hoof and he fluttered his way to it, making his way to my shoulder as I put my hoof back down. The cardinal was staying on my shoulder, as if he was mine now. I didn't realize that I was making a new friend. I walked inside, the cardinal still standing on me. Once I entered the door, it flew to the dining room table, once again looking at me. It chirped and looked at me expectantly.

"You need a name... I'll call you Red. That's what I can think of at the moment at least." I said.

The bird chirped in approval. I had indeed made a friend, a good one at that. I knew that many unicorns had bird assistants. Most of the ones I knew of were owners of owls. Twilight Sparkle, who later became an alicorn had two assistants, one bard owl and one baby dragon. I read about Starswirl the Bearded's screech owl in school. I had never heard of a songbird being a unicorn's assistant. Then again, I had also never looked much into magic. I knew how to levitate things, but I didn't really know much more than that. Still, I couldn't wait for Flare to come home and see Red.

I felt my phone vibrate, so I pulled it out to see that my father was calling me. My eyes widened as I considered answering it. I felt a tear stream from my eye. I had no idea what he was going to say. I put my hoof on the red icon, sliding it across the screen, hanging the call up before it had started. I set my phone down on the counter as I walked to the bedroom. I curled up into a ball as I cried on the corner of the bed. Red arrived in the room, landing on my nightstand and nuzzling me, attempting to cheer me up.

I looked up at red, his eyes were very obviously full of sympathy. He looked concerned for me, like he had known me for years and had come to care for me like a family member. I ran a hoof across his soft feathers. Grooming the small bird soothed me to a degree, stabilizing my breathing. I continued petting him for almost half an hour. He had successfully cheered me up, and I thanked him for it before making my way to the bathroom to look in the mirror.

Sure enough, my eyeliner bled down with my tears. I began wiping it off, glad I only used a little bit of makeup. I re-applied my eyeliner which Red so graciously brought me with his small talons. When I finished, I gave the eyeliner back to Red, who returned it to the drawer he retrieved it from. I wondered how he figured out where it was, but I didn't feel the need to question it. I heard the front door unlock and open followed by Flare's voice.

"I'm home, favorite pony!" He said.

I ran to the front of the house and hugged him tightly. I had quite a story for the day to tell him.

Author's Note:

This mini-arc is going to be both sweet and rough. So yeah. Be warned. This might not even be the worst of it.