• Published 16th Jun 2012
  • 1,614 Views, 3 Comments

Resident Pon-Evil (Mission II) - Operation: Phoenix Fire - Delta 727



The Soldiers of Harmony's Elements celebrate their victory, but ties to their enemy soon emerge...

  • ...
2
 3
 1,614

Level 1: A Victory Short Lived

Harmony's Elements have won the war against Harrow's End. The celebration is over, and they begin to plan out their new lives. But as they attempt to move on, a new face shows up with grave news. As the Elements spring into action, they realize that maybe the nightmare they had fought their way out of may be all but a memory.

*Begin Transmission*

"Good day to you all! We are gathered to recognize three heroes and their accomplice in the downfall of a corporation that has betrayed us. Fighting their way through death and decay, they have exposed Harrow's End as liars and the corporation will be demolished and punished accordingly. I introduce to you, X-Ray, Blade, Chainlink, and Marigold. The three stallions and ex-operatives of Harrow's End who brought out the lies, and Marigold who supported them in the downfall of Dmitri Zernovski as equal of a traitor. Although, sadly, one mare had not made the success of the mission. Her name was Acid, an ex-virologist for Harrow's End. After her daughter was killed in a horde invasion in the hospital morgue, she vowed revenge against Harrow's End. She had saved her team from execution, but sacrificed herself to kill Dmitri in his own explosive vest trigger. The spirits of Acid and her daugher, Shade, now resign among the skies, and will be remembered in memorial by a statue crafted in their honor." Celestia stepped aside. "Mares and Gentle-stallions, I give you Harmony's Elements, the heroes behind the conspiracy of Harrow's End!"

In that moment of cheering, X-Ray looked to the sky. As his light blue eyes scanned the clouds, he spotted something. And for the first time, after years of emotional solitude, X-Ray had done something the rest of the team had never seen him do before.


He smiled.


Blade noticed him, followed by Chainlink and Marigold. As they followed his gaze, a large smile also appeared on the face of Blade, Marigold chuckled, and Chainlink gave a sound of, 'Well, whaddaya know?' .


For what they were looking at were the sparkling celestial spirits of a grey mare with a black mane and an identically colored filly staring down at them from the clouds above.

"Now ain't that somethin'?" Marigold said. "Ah thought those two were gone for good!"

"And now they resign among the clouds to watch over us always," Blade agreed. He raised one hoof in silent salute. "United Under Celestia. Rest peacefully, Acid. You've done Equestria an un-repayable favour with the highest price."

X-Ray raised his hoof. "United... Under Celestia... As we stand here alive for... Her sacrifice..."

Chainlink lifted his armoured hoof. "United Under Celestia. As Equestria escaped that bucking outbreak all because of her. It's amazing to know she is still here."

Marigold lifted her hoof in unison to Harmony's Elements. "United Under Celestia! All for that mare's bravery an' absolutely respectable willingness to protect her team in her final hours. Rest easy, Sugarcube!"

The crowd's cheering began to die down, and Celestia began to speak. "From this moment on, these four will resign here in Canterlot living in royalty. We will never be able to re-pay them for the astounding feat they have conquered here today, nor to re-pay the price of Acid and Shade, as they have lost their lives in the treachery, but given much more to the on-living of us all." She turned to the statue of Acid and her filly. "We stand on our hooves today for their sacrifice, and for that, they will remain a living legend carved in stone!" The crowd broke out in cheers, Harmony's Elements staring on at the statue before them. As the cheering died, Celestia bid them farewell and exited the stage, leaving Luna to address the crowd.

"You may all return to your homes. Remember what has been said today, as this has been implanted into the fabrics of time. Good evening to you all, for we stand alive today! You are dismissed." Luna exited the stage, and the crowd herded out into their homes. The team left the stage as well, heading for their new residency in Canterlot.

---

Marigold pushed in the door of the cottage, bursting with pride. "Did y'all see that!? Ah've never seen such an amazing thing in mah entire life as a service-mare! C'mon, y'all! How're ya not just fluttering like a Pegasi on cider!?" Marigold fell silent as the team entered, throwing their masks and goggles onto a small table, and collapsing onto couches and chairs. Marigold sighed, seating herself into a chair and placing her head in her hoof. "Alright, what's got y'all's cattle all sick?"

Chainlink was the first to speak. "Is it really worth it that she can be celebrated if she died for our stupidity?" Marigold cocked her head at him, and he went on. "If I hadn't been captured by Dmitri for answering that bucking door, she may still be alive!" He slunked into his chair, tossing his Riot Gun onto the table.

"Acid... Had managed to escape, but we had... Not had enough time with her... It was too soon to lose her, no matter... If and where we have seen her again..." X-Ray said, his respirator rasping with his breath. "What does it matter if she... Cannot fight by our side once more...?"

"And why didn't you just shoot him when he had Chainlink?" Blade asked, his tone harsh but solemn. "You had the chance, and you just kissed him and ran. If it were not for Acid, we'd all be back on the ground, burning among the ashes. Why did you not put a bullet in his blasted head!?"

Marigold sighed, her golden gaze sympathetic. "I could have shot him. I know. But if I didn't run, the C.P.D. would never have arrived. We made the plan that I sneak away and send the flare. They came, snatched me up, and we came to pull you guys out before Mr. Tank-"

"Chanlink," the armoured stallion said in a harsh tone.

Marigold sighed, continuing. "Before Chainlink here nearly charged me down. Every fiber of me screamed to turn back, to buck him down and get y'all out alive. But if I did, our escape would be shot." The team remained silent. "C'mon, y'all. You saw she's still here. Celebrate what you can. We've lost so much already, don't whither in it. Enjoy knowing she did it for you. Not because you failed."

"We know!" Chainlink said, softening his tone. "We know..."

The team all sat silently as reality sank in: They had won, but if it was worth it after all they had lost was questionable. As they all stayed quiet in the moment, there was a knock on the door.

"Go away," Blade said. "We're not taking visitors today."

"Open up!" A mare's voice outside said. "I need to speak to you! I've got terrible news!"

The team all looked at each other. Then X-Ray stood up, and slowly trotted to the door. He placed his hoof on the doorknob, turned, and pushed the door open. "What...-" He was interrupted as a mare dashed in past him, her amber eyes panicked. She was a yellow Alicorn with a dark blue mane, and she was wearing a cap with a logo torn from the front, a large pack on her back, and a toothpick in her front teeth. "Name's Itzel. I heard you guys were the ones who took down Harrow?" Blade nodded at Itzel and looked away, his grey eyes saddened. "I've got bad news. Some morons who worked for Harrow's End aren't too happy that they don't have anypony to pay them anymo-"

"Get to the point..." Chainlink said in a low, irritated tone.

Itzel glared at him, anger in her eyes, and said, "They sabotaged the barriers around the city, and the infection escaped into everywhere from Fillydelphia to Manehattan!"

The team turned their gazes to Itzel, the only sound being her labored breathing. Finally, X-Ray gathered himself back to reality and said, "What...?"

"I'm sure you heard me," Itzel said. "They've gone bucking mad and want revenge for you guys burning down their payment methods!"

The bag on Itzel's back shifted, and a small head peeked out the flap. A small voice sounded from inside, saying, "Momma, what's wrong?"

"It's nothing, TrailBlaze," Itzel said. "Stay in the bag."

"Wait," Blade said. "Who is that?"

"It's my daughter, but we don't have time to-" Itzel started.

"Bring her out," Blade interrupted.

"Why do you-"

"You heard what I said."

Itzel sighed, and flipped open the flap on her bag with her muzzle. "C'mon out, TrailBlaze..." When she finished, a small filly hopped out.

"Who is this?" Blade asked.

"Um..." The filly started, "I-I'm TrailBlaze..." TrailBlaze was a small Alicorn with a tawny coat, deep green eyes, and a dark pink mane.

Blade looked to Itzel. "She's your daughter?" Itzel nodded. Blade thought for a moment, then said, "Take her home. You two need your rest. We will handle this when Celestia's sun rises tomorrow." Itzel began to argue, but Blade stopped her. "I'm not in the mood to argue. Take her home and get some rest. We'll talk tomorrow."

Itzel looked ready to argue, but she stopped and said, "Let's go TrailBlaze. He's right. We need our sleep." TrailBlaze jumped up onto Itzel's shoulder, hanging on by her front legs with her hind legs scrabbling in the air. Itzel nudged her up with her muzzle, and TrailBlaze crawled into the bag as Itzel pulled the flap shut. "G'night, you guys. But tomorrow, be ready to talk." She began to walk for the door, but looked back and said, "I won't be asked to leave twice." She trotted out the door, and X-Ray pushed it shut.

Chainlink slammed one armoured hoof onto the table. "I should've bucking knew that this nightmare wasn't over! We finally get the chance to settle down and enjoy the last bits of our lives, and we're back in it hooves first?" He dropped his head, his purple eyes filled with anger and misery. "Guess we'd better be ready to lose whatever's left..."

"Now, c'mon, Chainlink," Marigold said. "At least this time we know what we're up against. We can easily fix this, right?" Nopony answered. "Right?"

"Save it for the crowd, Marigold..." Blade said. "We don't have time to celebrate what we still have... We're trotting right into another bucking apocalypse. Just when I thought it was over..."

"We should all... Get some sleep..." X-Ray said. "Tomorrow will bring... New things, and we must... Be prepared..."

Chainlink sighed, and the team headed to their quarters for the night. As they all settled into their beds, Blade said, "Did anypony else get reminded of Acid and Shade in those two?" An unarmed grenade flew through the air, striking him in the muzzle. "Ow! I'm just asking!"

"Can it, Recon colt..." Chainlink said, and he took out the lights with another grenade as the team settled into sleep, awaiting the new 'adventure' that awaited them in the morning.

*Transmission Ended*