• Published 16th Jun 2012
  • 1,619 Views, 3 Comments

Resident Pon-Evil (Mission II) - Operation: Phoenix Fire - Delta 727



The Soldiers of Harmony's Elements celebrate their victory, but ties to their enemy soon emerge...

  • ...
2
 3
 1,619

Level 11: Border Patrol

After arriving in New Appleoosa, the team all found ways to join in where they were needed in exchange for the equipment Lens Cap, head leader of the New Appleoosa base and X-Ray's brother, had for them in trade. After they each met the leaders or owners of the services they could provide, it became a mutual thought that they had finally found a sanctuary in the wasteland. But that would soon change, as their unknown enemy hidden in the shadows has come out into the light for revenge, and come to ruin the peace in the barricaded town for good.

*Begin Transmission*

Only hours after the Elements arrived in New Appleoosa, the sun began to set just as the travelers were seen heading into the main building at the end of the street. After crowding into a small elevator, which took two trips to get them all, they finally arrived on the top floor of the compound. The top floor consisted of nothing more than white walls, a tile floor, a long dead plant on either side of the elevator exit, a few tattered wood chairs, and a single door about 25 feet away from the elevator with a bronze plate engraved, "Captain's Quarters".

"That where he said he'd be, X-Ray?" Chainlink asked. X-Ray said nothing. Only made his way out of the crowd of ponies, trotted up to the door, and tapped on it with his hoof three times. The name panel on the door suddenly slid to the right, leaving only a rectangle of black, and X-Ray backed up to let whoever was inside see him. The panel slid back shut, a click sounded from the other side, and the door creaked open just enough to let X-Ray in. After slipping through the door, it immediately slammed back shut.

After a long pause, Marigold said, "Well, ain't that jus' a fine howdy-do?"

"Better than having a gun at our muzzles," Blade replied. Chainlink grunted in agreement.

Dingo stepped out of the group. "Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm not gonna stand here all day." He trotted up to one of the chairs, and climbed into it, leaning his head back against the wall. After a long moment of silence, the rest joined him, taking seats in the remaining chairs and on the floor, listening to the muffled voices coming from the other side of the closed door.

---

After about an hour of waiting, the door finally opened. All eyes and attention went to it, but all they saw was an open door. After a long pause and before any of them could speak, X-Ray and Lens Cap stepped out side by side.

"It's about time!" Itzel stood up off the floor. "Were you having a foal in there or something?" TrailBlaze giggled inside her bag.

"Very funny," Lens Cap retorted. "Now if you're done with the sarcasm, we might have a problem."

"Oh, fantastic..." Chainlink groaned. "As if we haven't had our share of those."

"Agreed..." X-Ray looked over at his brother. "Should I... Explain...?"

"I'll do it," Lens Cap responded. "No offense, but I'd be a lot faster." A few ponies chuckled, and Lens Cap shot them a sharp look. "Our town guards have seen a few living ponies sneaking around the outer walls, running with tails between their legs when our spotlights even got near them. We thought they were just scavengers, but as far as we remember-"

X-Ray cut in. "Scavengers... Do not carry silenced weapons..."

"Exactly," Lens Cap finished.

"So why have none of your guards blown their manes from their necks?" Cell asked.

Lens Cap didn't even glance at her. "We don't shoot unless they pose a direct threat."

"Silenced weapons sounds like they could belong to a militia, or something much bigger. An organized government, perhaps?" Socket offered.

All of the ponies started murmuring at once. X-Ray and Lens Cap said nothing until Lens Cap pulled out a small pistol and fired it toward the ceiling. A few in the group gasped or screamed, and then the room went silent.

Except for Marigold, who was absolutely ticked.

"Wha's th' matter with y'all!? It's bad enough without this hoofer shootin' at us!" She shoved a hoof against Dingo's shoulder.

"Calm down, it's a blank." Lens Cap held up the pistol, which turned out to be made out of plastic. "We put gunpowder in these, and shoot them at the wall to get the infected to move out of the way of the gate so we can come in or out. Or in this case, to silence a room full of blabbermouths. Now if you'll let me continue, you're probably wondering why I brought you all in here to hear about this." He held up a hoof to silence Chainlink, who nearly tried to make a smart comment. "It's because I want every last one of you on the wall by moon rise." Several of the team started to argue, but Lens Cap fired the pistol again. "This isn't up for discussion."

"But there is... One exception..." X-Ray asked. Lens Cap paused, then shrugged. "The filly... Should not be required to stay..."

Itzel spoke up. "Yeah, TrailBlaze shouldn't have to do something she isn't needed for. Let her stay with Harvest."

"Fine," Lens Cap agreed. "She can stay behind, but I won't be hearing any excuses from the rest of you. Report to the front desk downstairs." Lens Cap scanned the crowd. "Hold on, wasn't there one more of you when you arrived?"

"Chaos," Blade said. "He came to this building when he got here. Trotted away when you started assigning places. I'll get him when I find him."

"Do whatever you have to do," Lens Cap said. "Just make sure he's accounted for."

"Well what're we waitin' for?" Marigold spoke up. "That ol' lug'll find 'is own way back! Le's get out there already!"

Dingo put a hoof on her shoulder. "Simmer down there, lil lady. We've all been cooped up for a while. You'll get plenty of time out there." Marigold just kept smiling.

"Don't have too much fun out there," Lens Cap cut in. "Remember, you're out there to keep watch on anything outside the gate. We need all eyes out there after spotting the suspected mercenaries out there."

"Mercenaries, huh?" A deep voice came from the door behind the ponies. They all turned to see Chaos standing there. He calmly shouldered his way through the crowd to stand in front of Lens Cap and X-Ray. "What makes you think they're mercenaries, and not scavengers?"

Before Lens Cap could respond, X-Ray spoke up. "Scavengers don't carry... Silenced weapons..."

Lens Cap spoke next. "We think they might be hired guns from some kind of organized government."

"Hm..." Chaos paused for a moment, then chuckled, lowering his head slightly. "Well, that's buckin' great..."

"What?" Blade asked. "What're you thinking?

Chaos raised his head. "You're not gonna like what I'm thinking."

Chainlink stepped forward, his voice hard. "Spit it out."

Chaos didn't even glance at him. "They're definitely organized government. In fact, they've already got a name for themselves."

"Yeah?" Chainlink asked. "And what's that, smart flank?"

Now, Chaos finally turned to look at Chainlink.

"Harrow's End."

---

"When there is no peril in the fight, there is no glory in the triumph." - A. Alvarez

*Transmission Ended*

Just a little heads up for you guys. As of the release of this chapter, the epilogues of the characters stated at the end of the first story (Operation: Equestrian Downfall) have been altered. All of them are still the same, except that their deaths have been revoked. They still received their promotions and all that, but their deaths are not yet known. I decided that if I'm gonna have sequels, it's just too soon to make up deaths. So how do they die? DO they die? You don't know anymore...!