• Published 20th Apr 2016
  • 13,240 Views, 2,320 Comments

Gazing to the Ocean of the Sky - David Silver



She can swim far and wide across the waters of Equestria, but it's not enough. There are places above those waters, places she plans to reach. Where biology failed her, her mind would succeed. Equestria better be ready, because she plans to visit!

  • ...
54
 2,320
 13,240

PreviousChapters Next
25 - Episode 4, A Very Important Date

Cherry had reduced the poor clock to a veritable explosion of parts. It did not tick, sway, or show any signs of life. How could it, with all its vital pieces laid out carefully side-by-side for Cherry to take in with wide, curious eyes?

Indigo leaned in over them, his curiosity more tempered than his friend's, but quite present. "Why did you break it?"

Cherry waved him off. "It's not broken. I know where every last piece goes, mostly." She stuck out her tongue a little and grabbed the first part to be returned in her mouth, carefully stepping between parts back to the main body of the grandfather clock and slipping it into place. "I see how it works now. It really is very amazing, considering how many parts it has, and they all work together!"

Indigo crept a bit closer, his forelegs pulling him along as well-oiled wheels held up his back section, powerful tail swaying a little as he looked over Cherry's work. "It's amazing that you understand any of this. It feels like countless little parts."

"I guess it is a lot." Cherry tilted her head before grabbing the next piece and slotting it in. "That's what makes mechanical things so amazing in the first place. I want to make something so complex, but smooth. To have a thousand million parts, but feel like it's all one part, dancing in harmony."

Spike suddenly came running in, holding a scroll. In his hurry, he tripped right over Cherry's pile of parts and went sprawling. Cherry squawked in dismay at the mess and threw up a hoof. "My baby! If you bent anything..."

Indigo moved to help Spike up to his feet. "Did something happen? Why are you in such a hurry?"

Spike nodded at Indigo. "Hey, sorry about that. I have to get this to Spike."

Indigo tilted his head. "You are Spike."

Spike shook his head quickly. "I mean Twilight. It's a letter from Princess Celestia, top priority!"

Perhaps attracted by the noise, Twilight appeared suddenly. She laid eyes on the scroll and her horn lit up as she grabbed it with her magic and unfurled it quickly.

As Twilight read it, Indigo smiled at Spike. "You did it, good job."

She let out a gasp, the scroll vanishing with a pop. "She's coming tomorrow!"

Cherry took another piece and carefully examined it for damage before carefully putting it in its place. "Who is? The other princess? Are you friends?"

"Friends?" Twilight rolled her eyes. "She was my mentor for years! She's more then a 'friend'. Besides, she's Celestia! Of all the princesses, she's the biggest and most respected."

Indigo tilted his head. "Oh, it goes by size? I suppose that's as reasonable as anything else."

"No!" Twilight began to frazzle around her mane with worry. "It's not that. Look, you know the sun, right?"

Cherry waved a hoof even as she worked to get her clock re-assembled. "Of course we do. It's hard to miss it."

Twilight nodded quickly. "Great, well there's one pony in charge of waking it up and putting it to rest. Celestia controls the sun! That's kind of a big deal, even to aquatic races I imagine."

Indigo nodded at that. "Without the sun, a lot of things in the ocean would die. First small things, then bigger things that ate the smaller things, then things that ate those things..." To say nothing of freezing over eventually, but he knew nothing of that. "She really moves that thing? It looks so far away..."

"It is!" Twilight clopped the floor with a snort. "She's also the ruler of Equestria, alongside her sister." She suddenly swallowed and re-summoned the letter, her eyes scanning furiously. "Who... is also coming." Twilight sank to her belly.

Spike gave her shoulder a soft patting. "It's alright. It's not like she has a quiz for you. You really are friends, Twilight. Why are you so upset?"

Twilight leveled a hoof at each of her guests. "They don't know how to address a princess, let alone have a discussion with one! What if Princess Celestia thinks I've been shirking my duties? What if she takes my crown and makes me go to royal kindergarten?"

Spike hiked a brow. "There is no such thing, and she wouldn't do that anyway. You're making a big deal about nothing."

Cherry carefully got the main arm of the grandfather clock into place and screwed it in before nodding at Twilight and Spike. "We'll be polite. They're nice ponies, right?"

"Being 'nice' is not enough." Twilight rose to her hooves. "That's it! I'll show you both how to act around them before they get here." She turned towards the dining room. "Let's go!"

Indigo and Spike began to follow, but Cherry was focused on her clock, at least until Twilight's magic wrapped around her and began hauling her along. "Wait! I'm almost done!"

She was dragged away by an uncaring Twilight and soon all four of them were in the dining room. Twilight set Cherry beside the table and Indigo wheeled himself to sit beside her obediently.

"Good." Twilight nodded. "Let's begin with how to set a table."

Spike hiked a brow. "I doubt the princesses are going to ask them to do that."

Twilight put a hoof to her chest and let out a slow breath as she extended it. "Right, but proper etiquette starts here." She trotted over to the table, her magic hovering over a set of plates and various forks, knives, and spoons and setting it in a pile. "Let's begin."

Indigo reached for some of the implements, poking them curiously. "What are these for?" He grasped the knife in his mouth and set it closer to himself. "I recognize this one, useful for getting into hard shells and things."

Twilight gave a nervous laugh, her mane frizzing all the more. "Yes, that's a knife. You use it for cutting harder parts of food into bite-sized portions. And this..."

Cherry raised a hoof. "Are we eating with your friends? Will there be cake? I bet she'll like that."

Indigo rubbed at his belly. "I'd like that... How does The Dry make such delicious things?"

Twang, another of Twilight's hair began sticking out at an odd angle. That wasn't working. "Alright, let's try something else. I'll pretend to be one of the princesses." She sat across from them at the table and cleared her throat. "So--"

Indigo smiled at Twilight. "Which of them are you? Are you the sun pony? How do you do that?"

Twang. "Her name is Celestia. Her sister is Luna. Please address them by their name, with 'Princess' in front."

Cherry nodded slowly. "Yes, um, Princess Twilight. May I finish putting my clock back together?"

Twilight let her head hit the table with a dull thunk as she heavied an exasperated sigh. "Go ahead..."

Cherry and Indigo went off together back to her work. Spike patted Twilight's defeated shoulder. "I'm sure they'll both like Cherry and Indigo. They're nice ponies. Besides, it can't be worse than when you left Celestia with Cranky of all ponies."

Twilight let out a choked sob and Spike gently comforted her as she wept.

Back in the other room, Cherry eagerly resumed putting the pieces into her slowly-mending machine. "Hey, Indie, how're the wheels working out?"

Indigo looked back at them and pulled himself forward and back as if testing them. "They seem to work pretty well. I think I'm faster with these than your fancy mechanical legs."

Cherry blinked at that. "What? But mine are much more advanced." She closed the hatch on the clock and wound it up. The clock began to tick softly, making Cherry beam with pride. "There's no way."

Indigo pointed to one of the mechanical hooves. "You can only move as fast as they move, and they don't move that fast. The wheels will move as fast as I pull them, and I can go pretty fast. We could have a race to prove it?"

Cherry frowned. "Fine, but whoever loses buys the other a cookie."

Indigo licked his lips with fond memories of Pinkie's baking prowess. "You're on. In fact, why don't we race to Sugarcube Corner? That way we can get the cookie right away."

They lined up besides one another and Cherry pointed at the clock. "When it rings, we go!"

Together, they waited, with only the ticking of the clock to interrupt the silence.

Tick tick tick... Dong! They took off as quickly as they could.

Cherry engaged her mechanical legs into trotting mode and made good time, but Indigo wasn't entirely wrong. She could only go exactly as fast as they went. Her face fell as her friend made early swift progress along the smooth floor of the castle and wheeled himself out with an excited cry.

She had a reprieve when they hit a rough patch of ground between the castle and the bakery. While she could easily step over bumps, his wheels loved getting stuck in furrows and ditches whenever they could, slowing him down severely as she made up for lost time. Unfortunately for her, the roads of Ponyville were flat, and he began to speed up the moment he made it past the rough ground and caught up with her all-too-quickly before bursting ahead of her with a whoop of victory.

The last she saw of him was his eagerly swaying tail until she came trotting up to the bakery to find him smugly grinning with victory. "See? Fancy doesn't always mean better."

Cherry stuck out her tongue. "Yeah yeah, you won this one, but you would have been so helpless in the forest."

"What's that?"

Cherry walked past him into the bakery. "I'll tell you all about it over that cookie I owe you."

Author's Note:

Poor Twilight. This whole thing feels like a typo, and you hate those even more than some of my commenters.

PreviousChapters Next