• Published 16th Jun 2012
  • 3,949 Views, 138 Comments

Scratching the Surface - Johnny_Bell



Vinyl moves from Manehatten to Ponyville due to budget problems, adventure ensues!

  • ...
11
 138
 3,949

Chapter 4 (Easy Life)

The train left the tunnel and Vinyl quickly re-covered her eyes, a semi-embarrassed look on her face.

“You can’t tell anypony what color they are. I still want to keep my fans guessing.”

“Oooh, the Mare-Do-Well of the DJ community, I see.” Octavia giggled. The DJ pony stuck out her tongue.

“Canterlot arrival time: two hours.” A voice came over the loud speakers.

“That means only two hours and fifteen minutes until we reach Ponyville.” Octavia stated. Vinyl glanced out the window. The sun was pretty low in the sky, though not setting yet.

“So it’s gonna be dark when we arrive. Sweet. I love the night.” Vinyl shot a toothy smile at the grey mare. Octavia smiled and rolled her eyes.

“I can only imagine why.” Vinyl kept smiling. They later sat up again together and watched the sun slowly set in the distance. They arrived in Canterlot shortly after the sunset.

“Canterlot. Wow I haven’t been here in a long time.” Octavia stated, looking up at the massive castle.

“It’s amazing how close to the Princess we are at this moment.” Vinyl gazed at the castle with her friend.

“From what I’ve heard, there is another pony who actually was taught by her.”

“Wait,” Vinyl turned and looked at the mare. “You’re saying somepony was actually lucky enough to be taught by Celestia? Wow, I’d be so honored.”

“To be honest, Vinyl. I really don’t think the Princess would want to teach either of us anything. Becides, the pony she taught had, something special with her magic. I don’t remember most of the details.” Octavia patted the unicorn’s back. Vinyl gave a smile, then it suddenly widened.

“Hey Tavi, I have an idea.”

“I told you... I don’t like nick-”

“Yeah yeah, but we don’t have time, quick go get your cello.” Vinyl cut her off.

“Why?”

“Just, I’ll tell you when you get back with it. I have an idea.” The earth pony shrugged and walked out of the train car. She returned a few seconds later, carrying the cello in its case on her back.

“Alright,” Octavia said as she set the Cello case on the ground and took the large musical instrument out. “What’s your idea then?” The DJ looked around the now empty train car they were in.

“Play something.”

“Pardon?”

“Just, play something... Anything at all.” The doors to the train closed and they started moving once again.

“Next stop: Ponyville. Time to arrival: fifteen minutes. Current time: 10:30 night.” Vinyl nodded at her friend.

“I promise not to insult you this time.” Octavia smirked and stood up, using her cello as her balance, adjusting a little bit to deal with the jerky movements of the train. She took her bow and rested it on the strings of her instrument.

“Give me a few seconds to think.” She said, closing her eyes.

“I’m still honestly amazed on how you stand like that.”

“Shh.” The cellist took a deep breath, then pulled her bow slowly across the strings, making a low, long and wobbling note. She then opened her eyes, and pushed against the strings, continuing her harmony. Vinyl pushed her shades up, revealing her strong, ruby-red eyes and watched the grey mare play carefully, after a while she started bobbing her head, as if to a beat. Octavia picked up the tempo and speed leaning back and forth in flow to her music. The DJ stared at the cello, then dropped her glasses back over her eyes.

“Yes. Perfect. Mmhm.. I like that..” She mumbled every now and then, still bobbing to the symphony of the cello. “PERFECT!” She screamed, startling the cellist and causing her to hit a sour note. “Well, up until that part.” Vinyl giggled.

“Would have come to a soft ending if you’d let me finish.” Octavia glared.

“Sorry, I just... You helped me find my next big hit! Well, it’d be our next big hit, but yeah!”

“Wait, what?” Octavia slid her bow lightly across the strings again, making a soft, quiet note.

“My idea had to do with a recording, listen, uhm, once I get my musical equipment to my apartment, whenever that’ll happen, you wana come over and we’ll record something?” Octavia got a smile on her face.

“What, like a date?” She replied. Vinyl’s face turned red.

“What? I-I... No see.. I wasn’t.. I wouldn’t..” She covered her mouth, trying to hide her embarrassment.

“Relax DJ, I was kidding. Little surprised to actually see you respond like that.” Octavia raised an eyebrow, still holding a smile. Vinyl turned her still red face.

“Sorry..” She responded quietly. Octavia dropped her smile, and put her cello away before walking up to the unicorn.

“Vinyl...We’ve only really known each other for about a day...how?” She asked.

“I get attached to ponies easily, okay? Just...do you wana do a recording, when I can, or no?” Octavia hugged Vinyl tight.

“I would love to do a recording with you. Now about your attachment problem...” Vinyl shook her head.

“Just... drop it. It’ll eventually solve itself.”

“No can do. Even if it takes a while, we’re gonna talk about it, okay?” Vinyl shrugged, then lifted her glasses once again, this time setting them on her horn. The slight embarrassment left her face and was replaced with a determined look.

“Kay, Octavia. Can you play that cello once more? I wana make sure I get it stuck in my head.” The grey mare was taken back.

“You actually WANT to hear me play again? I’m...shocked. I thought you absolutely HATED listening to me play.” Vinyl ran a hoof through her electric blue mane, and gave a nervous giggle.

“Doesn’t mean I can’t try new things, right?”

“Guess I can’t argue with that.” Octavia stood with her cello, eyes closed once again and started playing what she had done before. She came up to the part where Vinyl had interrupted her before and opened one eye. The white unicorn had her shades back on and was bobbing her head with the beat, staying silent while she took mental notes. Octavia played on, raising the speed, then slowing it back down, scrunching her face every time she came to an intense, fast part. She used every ounce of her concentration, building up to the end, then slowly releasing a low, long final note. She opened her eyes and looked at the unicorn, searching for any type of message the pony was trying to send. Vinyl sat there, shades on, head still bobbing to the no longer existent music. After a while the DJ stood, and hugged her friend.

“Thanks, I think I got what I needed. And look, we’re almost to the Ponyville station!” Vinyl smiled a huge smile. Octavia yawned.

“Why yes, yes we are. I can not wait to get some sleep in a bed.”

“I know, right? I mean, don’t get me wrong, sleeping on a chair is fun and all..”

“And you don’t make that bad of a pillow, Scratch.” The girls laughed for a little bit until the train pulled into the Ponyville station.

“Well, looks like we’re here Octavia.” Vinyl smiled at her friend.

“It appears so.” Octavia smiled back, balancing the cello on her back. They walked out of the train, and looked at each other.

“Was a fun train ride, and I really hope to see you around.” The unicorn hugged her friend.

“Yes, quite. And I’m very sure we will.” Octavia responded as she hugged back. “Well, it’s dark out and I’m getting tired. Think we both should get home and get some rest, as I’m sure we both have a bunch of unpacking to do.” Vinyl nodded as they broke apart.

“As much as I’d like to, I don’t think I’ll be able to stay awake all night tonight.” Vinyl smiled as they both walked to the luggage car and pulled out their luggage.

“That’s got to be a first, right?”

“Hey, I was asleep last night, wasn’t I?” Vinyl lightly pushed the cellist. They shared a laugh and hugged once more.

“Well, I should go now.”

“Yeah, same. You still up for recording later when I can, right?”

“Absolutely.” The mares hugged once again, then walked off in different directions, calling out “goodbye!” as they walked.

Vinyl, holding up her boxes with her magic, set then gently on the ground, and pulled out a piece of paper and studied it.

“I hope this is the right place.” She said, as she looked up to the small building. It was small, but large enough to hold two ponies, a kitchen and a bathroom. Vinyl opened the door and walked in, turning on the lights. She noticed a note taped to the wall.

Hello, I’m Roofus. I’m your landlord. I understand you will probably get in here late, so come talk to me in the morning at SugarCube corner in Mrs. Cake’s cake shop. We’ll have coffee and talk about you and your roommate. Enjoy your stay in Ponyville!

Vinyl shrugged, then called out.

“Hello? Is anypony there? I’m Vinyl, your new roommate.” There was no answer. “Hmm. Guess I’m the first one here. Damn, if only I had my musical equipment. Oh well. Guess I’ll wait for my new roommate to arrive to discuss who will be sleeping where.” She placed all her boxes in one corner, then explored the house a little. There was the living room, then a kitchen off the the side. A small hallway lead down to three rooms, two of them bedrooms, one a bathroom. She entered the bathroom and turned on the lights. The bathroom was smaller than she was used to, but it had a sink, a toilet next to it, followed by a bath/shower mix. There was a towel rack to hold two towels. She entered one bedroom, nothing too special, just an empty room with plugs all around and a window letting in the night sky on one wall.
Vinyl’s stomach growled and it lead her to the kitchen. She looked around the corner to see a typical stove, a few counters going around it, then a refrigerator, and on the other side was a dishwasher. Next to that was a sink.

“Pretty bare.” Vinyl noted to herself. Just then the front door opened and her roommate walked in.

“Hello? Is anypony here? I'm your new roommate.” The voice said.

“Funny, I said the same thing when I-” Vinyl popped her head around the corner of the kitchen and gasped.

“No way.” They said in unison.

“Octavia! I didn’t know you were my roommate! This is gonna be so AWESOME!”

“Oh wow! Vinyl! Who would have guessed we are roommates?” The two mares hugged, after Octavia put her cello up against a wall.

“Long time no see, right?” Vinyl smiled.

“It’s been a while, indeed.” Octavia went right with the unicorn’s joke. “So, getting on the matter of the sleeping arrangements..” Octavia started.

“I already scoped out the place, there are two bedrooms down the hall, both the same size, and both have a window. It’s just, whichever one you want, go for it.” Vinyl lead her friend down the hall.

“I guess this one will be fine with me, if that’s fine.”

“No I want that one!” Vinyl laughed. “Kidding, sure. Now I can move my bed in the other one.” The girls spent a few minutes, getting their personal belongings into their own rooms.

“Well,” Octavia said, leaning on her cello. “Guess I’ll see you in the morning.”

“Speaking of which, we need to meet out landlord at a place called SugarCube corner.. Uuuuhhhh, Mrs. Cake’s shop, or something like that.” Vinyl remembered the note.

“Ah, so an early tomorrow then.” Octavia nodded. “Then bed time it is. Good night Scratch.” She said, placing the cello in her room.

“G’night Tavi.” Vinyl yawned, entering her own room. The girls shut their doors in unison and soon their lights went out.