• Published 16th Jun 2012
  • 3,934 Views, 138 Comments

Scratching the Surface - Johnny_Bell



Vinyl moves from Manehatten to Ponyville due to budget problems, adventure ensues!

  • ...
11
 138
 3,934

Chapter 14 (Airwaves)

The unicorn raised a hoof as the Wonderbolts flew over her head, leaving behind a trail of smoke.

AAAAWWWWWWWEEEEYYYYYEEEEEAAHHHHH!” she screamed over the loud, fast-paced music, grinning as big as she could. Pegasi all around here were watching in amazement. After all, it is a rare site to see a unicorn up in the clouds. She put her focus back on her turntable, concentrating on the right musical effects to go with the show pegasus movements. She had already played the original fast-paces mix she came up with for the intro and was now just winging it, and it was sounding damn good, considering the positive vibe from her winged crowd.

“Got to time this just right...” She said to herself, watching the Wonderbolts fly up high, as they did so, she lowered the volume of the music. “eeaassssyyy... Eeeaaasssyyy...” He mind, racing at the speed of sound, was waiting for Spitfire’s signal. It was the signal just before they broke formation in a spectacular way, all eight ponies would fly off in different directions. That’s when the show would start. She watched through the top of her shades, slowly matching the volume to their hight.

“Come on Spitty.. I don’t have that much more...” Just like that Spitfire gave the signal, a slight wave of her tail. “NOW!” Vinyl’s mind screamed at her. She cranked the volume up all the way, and gave one of the most spectacular bass drops she had ever preformed. The Wonderbolts split in sync with the amazing drop and the crowd LOVED it. The DJ continued to test her DJ’ing skills as the pegasi in the sky continued their show.

The ending came after about three hours of the Wonderbolts showing off and then doing a little play they created in the sky. The ending was great, as Vinyl played the last of her on-the-go track, the ‘Bolts broke off once again, this time ending the show, spelling “Musical performance with the aid of DJ P0N-3” which took three minutes to write in the sky. Vinyl felt all eyes swoop to her, and all she could do was smile. Suddenly she was swamped with other ponies, giving her “congratulations” and “good job.” Some even asked her for an autograph.

After all the excitement died down, the Wonderbolts personally thanked the DJ by taking her out to see the rest of Cloudsdale.

“That was, by far, the BEST musical performance we’ve ever had!” Soarin’ said as they entered a small drink shop. Vinyl couldn't help but smile.

“Well, I have to admit, after the intro song, I had no more pre-made mixes. The rest was just my judgement and your movements.”

“That’s amazing.” Fleetfoot complimented.

“And I was wondering, at the start of the show, how did you time that drop so perfectly?” Spitfire asked. The unicorn smiled.

“Well I over-heard you guys talking before the show, and you said something about a signal with your tail. So I just very carefully watched for it.” She said, sitting at a booth.

“Smart.”

“I try.” Vinyl smiled. The group of ponies continued the tour of Cloudsdale, ending it as the sun started to set. The other Wonderbolts split after saying their final thanks and goodbyes, leaving the Captain and the unicorn alone.

“Vinyl, I want to thank you again. Without you, the show wouldn’t have been as big of a hit as it was. I owe you a lot.” The pegasus smiled as she spoke. Vinyl smiled back, pushing her shades away from her eyes.

“It’s the least I can do for an old friend, old friend.” They both shared a chuckle and Spitfire placed a wing over the white mare, pulling her a little closer.

“We really need to hang more, tonight’s been fun.”

“That it has, Spitty. That it has.” The pegasus nuzzled the unicorn.

“Need a ride home?” She asked, showing a slight blush. Vinyl didn’t understand the reason for the blush, but answered.

“That would be lovely.” She then looked over the cloud’s edge. “Considering the fall to my house would probably kill me.” She turned her attention back to the orange mare, who was now flying above her.

“Then let’s get you down there.”

It was a short ride, but still fun, nonetheless to the musical unicorn. Spitfire landed next to Vinyl.

“Again, thanks for everything tonight, and I don’t mean just the show.” She smiled again, then laid a kiss on Vinyl’s cheek. “I’ll call you later to hang out more, yeah? Good!” She flew off before Vinyl had a chance to process what the pegasus had just done. She shook it away.

“It was just a friendly kiss, nothing behind it.” She laughed nervously to herself. “Not like an old friend could.. Fall for me.. Ugh, I need sleep.” She entered the small apartment, and slowly made her way to her room, picking up her phone to look at the time.

“9:45 PM. I wonder if ‘Tavi’s still awake.” She blasted through her contacts, Finding Octavia’s number almost immediately. She hit the call button. There was ringing on the other side, shortly followed by a hushed: “Hello?”

“Tavi? Shoot, did I wake you?”

“Vinyl? No, no. You didn’t wake me, I’ve been awake for a while. Why are you calling so late, if I may ask?”

“Well I would have called earlier, but I was doing a show for, get this, the Wonderbolts earlier today.”

“The Wonderbolts?” The mare on the other side snorted, not believing a word the unicorn spoke. “Right. How in Equestria did you manage that?”

“I know Spitfire, the Captain.” Vinyl said blankly. There was silence on the line.

“How do you know Spitfire?”

“We were Fillyhood friends. Up until she had to go to Flight Camp. Enough on this subject, how are you doing?”

“Not too bad, I suppose. The other players and I are getting a lot of practice time in. I’m still a little.. Oh how would you put it Vinyl... ‘Bummed out’ that you can’t be here.” The unicorn smiled and chuckled a bit.

“Well you never know, darling. Surprises do happen.”

“Vinyl, in all seriousness, even if you could come, you don’t have the proper attire.” The white mare blinked in thought of this. Octavia was right, if she was to surprise her lover at the Gala, she would need to dress up nice.

“Awe shucks,” The unicorn spoke into the phone, coming up with a plan. “You’re right, ‘Tavi-”

“As usual when anything involves you, dear.” the earth pony cut her off.

“I...hey.. That’s not...” She scrunched her face.

“Hmm? You were saying?” Octavia said, a hint of singing in her voice.

“Alright, you got me on that.” The grey musician laughed a little.

“Hey, it’s been good hearing your voice, Vinyl. I miss you.” Vinyl smiled.

“I miss you too ‘Tav. I miss you too.”

“I have to go now. See you when I get home, alright?”

“Yeah, when you get home.” Vinyl said, smiling. Octavia hung up the phone. “Or, possibly sooner.” Vinyl finished her own thought. She put down her phone and climbed into her bed, getting under the covers. She sighed and closed her eyes, placing her shades on a desk next to her.

“You’re in for one hay of a surprise, Ms. Octavia.” The unicorn said to herself, before drifting off to sleep.









Hey hey readers! sorry for the late.. latelatelatelatel update, things have been coming up where I'm noting that I have WAY LESS TIME than I had. So, it's kind of a small update, just to let you all know, I'm still alive. Until next time~