• Published 16th Jun 2012
  • 3,949 Views, 138 Comments

Scratching the Surface - Johnny_Bell



Vinyl moves from Manehatten to Ponyville due to budget problems, adventure ensues!

  • ...
11
 138
 3,949

Chapter 11 (You Shouldn't Kiss Me Like This)

“So?” Octavia asked as Vinyl walked in the front door of their apartment. “How did your little gig go?” She stood and greeted her roommate with a hug.

“It went....” The unicorn paused and blinked, taking off her shades. “Different.”

“How so?”

“Well.. Let’s just say the “fashion” that was being shown... How do I put it lightly... It sucked.”

“Vinyl! That’s rude.”

“Octavia.. One mare had eggs on her head... EGGS. For a dress? Really? Another was wearing a star consolation cloak. One had BOOTS on.”

“Well.. You put it that way..”

“And I didn’t really get paid for it, either. Rarity pretty much ran home after the “show” was over, and I don’t really blame her.”

“Well, at least there wasn’t anypony important there.” Octavia smiled. The unicorn shot her a look. “I mean.. Uuh..”

“I know what you mean, and you’re wrong. Hoity Toity was there.” Octavia gasped.

“Hoity Toity? That fancy pony from Canterlot? Oh dear, I hear he’s harsh. How did he rate her work.”

“Not good, it looked like, and I quote: ‘a piled-on mish-mash of everything but the kitchen sink.’”

“Ouch.”

“I.. I just.. Never seen anything like that before.” Vinyl walked over to the couch and laid down. “Anyway, how was your day?”

“Not too bad. I got more thinking done.” She smiled as she walked over to the unicorn.

“Mmm.. I don’t want to be pushy, but... And?” Octavia leaned over and kissed Vinyl. They both closed their eyes, enjoying and savoring every moment of it.

“And I’ve come to the conclusion,” The grey mare spoke after they parted lips. “That I love you too. I want to stay with you, and never want anything bad to come between us.” Vinyl smiled and pressed her lips against Octavia’s once again.

“You have no idea how happy I am to hear that.”

“No, seriously! I’m taking out out on a date tonight. My treat.” Vinyl smiled as she pushed a hesitant Octavia out the door.

“Vinyl! Wait!”

“I’m not taking no for an answer, Tavi.” She closed the door behind them. The grey mare whipped around to meet the smiling unicorn.

“Look, I’m still very self-conscious about this. Please, if anything, don’t make it too obvious.” The white mare kissed her lover’s nose.

“I promise.” Octavia sighed in relief.

“Thank you. By the way, where are you taking me?”

“I thought I’d try to be classy tonight.” Vinyl smiled.

“That didn’t answer my question.”

“Oh, you’ll see Tavi baby. You’ll see.”

“A dancehall? Do you know how to slow dance?” Octavia asked as they entered a huge dance room.

“No, but I can learn, right?” Vinyl bumped Octavia. “Besides, I have a great teacher to teach me.”

“And just who is that?”

“You silly.” Vinyl stood on her back hooves, taking Octavia by surprise, and reached out a fore-hoof. “Dance with me?”

“How.. How did..” The grey mare took her hoof and they started to slowly dance. “When did you learn to stand, Vinyl?”

“After watching you on your cello time after time, I tried it myself, bracing against a wall. After about falling eighty times, I got it right. I wanted to surprise you.”

“Well, you certainly did just that.” the cellist got closer to the unicorn, making the dancing easier for both mares. They danced slowly to the music that was being played buy a small band. A couple songs passed as the mares gazed deeply into each other’s eyes. Vinyl quickly kissed Octavia, almost losing her balance.

“I’m such a klutz.” the unicorn gave a nervous laugh.

“Vinyl..” Octavia said as a slow country song began to play. She knew the tune, and figured it would be perfect way to tell her emotions.

“Yes Tavi?” The white mare smiled. Octavia laid her head on Vinyl’s shoulder and sang softly.

“I got a funny feeling the moment that your lips touched mine. Something shot right through me. My heart skipped a beat in time.” Octavia sang along with the song in Vinyl’s ears. “There's a different feel about you tonight, it's got me thinkin' lots of crazy things. I even think I saw a flash of light, it felt like electricity.” Vinyl gave a happy smile and kissed the mare again, right before the chorus kicked in. Octavia continued to sing right along with the song. “You shouldn't kiss me like this, unless you mean it like that. Cause I'll just close my eyes and I won't know where I'm at. We'll get lost on this dance floor, spinnin' around and around and around and around.” The couple had gone into full dance mode, locked eyes and slow, agile movements to the tempo of the love song. “They're all watchin' us now, they think we're falling in love. They'd never believe we're just friends. When you kiss me like this, I think you mean it like that. If you do baby kiss me again. Everypony swears, we make the perfect pair, but dancing is as far as it goes. Vinyl, you've never moved me quite the way you moved me tonight.” Vinyl sniffed, trying her best not to show any tears, but failed as one ran down her cheek. “I just wanted you to know. I just wanted you to know.” The solo kicked in and the mares once again locked lips, still spinning and dancing slowly. Before Octavia could continue the song, Vinyl cut her off and finished.

“You shouldn't kiss me like this, unless you mean it like that. Cause I'll just close my eyes, and I won't know where I'm at. And We'll get lost on this dance floor, spinnin' around and around and around and around. They're all watchin' us now, they think we're falling in love. They'd never believe we're just friends. When you kiss me like this, I think you mean it like that. If you do baby kiss me again. Kiss me again.” The song came to an end and the two mares stopped. Suddenly the whole dance floor erupted into applause, as they had been watching from the first chorus.

“That, was so brave of you two.” A light green mare walked up to the pair, who had gotten back on all four hooves. “Never once have I seen two mares just get up and dance like that in front of a whole ballroom.” Vinyl blushed and giggled.

“It just... Felt right.” Octavia said.

“Well, you two were tonight’s biggest show, and you showed us all that it’s fine to be who you are out in public.” The green mare smiled.

“Thank you.” Vinyl wrapped a hoof over Octavia. “Thanks for not reacting harshly.”

“We should get home now, been a long night of dancing.” Octavia whispered to the unicorn. Vinyl just nodded, as they had been there for half the night, and the girls said their goodbyes as they left the dancehall.

“I’m going to hop in the shower.” Octavia said as they entered their apartment. Vinyl stopped her, by gently holding Octavia’s tail in her mouth, then spun her around. Octavia squeaked a little as they came face to face. The unicorn gave a sly smile and undid Octavia’s bow tie with her magic, letting it hit the floor.

“Have a relaxing one, dear.” She spoke softly, then let her go. The grey mare kissed Vinyl on the cheek and trotted over to the bathroom, humming and closing the door behind her. The white DJ walked to her room and turned on the lights, a smile spread on her face. For the first time in what felt like forever, Vinyl was truly happy. She had a job she loved to do, a place to call home, another who loved her and a great friend at that. She listened for a while to her humming marefriend and the sound of water, then laid on her bed. Octavia was right, it HAD been a long dance session, and the unicorn was wore out. She yawned, trying to force herself to stay awake and wait for the grey mare to get out of the shower. She shook her head and walked to the bathroom door, knocking.

“Who is it?” Octavia joked.

“The only other pony in this house... I mean.. Service!” Vinyl said, opening the door. Octavia laughed and looked at the unicorn through the tempered shower glass.

“How can I help you?”

“Just wanted to let you know sweetie, I’m gonna head to bed. I’m dead tired.”

“Alright. I’ll have to get something to eat before I go to bed, I’m hungry. But I’ll see you in the morning!” Vinyl smiled and shut the door, then got back on her bed and flopped on it.

“Sleepy time.” She muttered to herself before passing out.

Rolling over the next morning, Vinyl landed on something soft, and it jerked her awake. She looked over to see Octavia, sleeping soundly in her bed. The DJ calmed down and smiled, this was such a sweet thing to wake up to in the morning. She leaned down and kissed the grey cellist between her ears, causing one to flick out of instinct. She carefully got out of bed and walked sleepily to the kitchen. She pulled out a pan and some batter from the refrigerator.

“I have no idea what I’m doing.” She muttered to herself, as she poured the batter on the pan. She turned on the stove and waited.
Octavia awoke to the smell of smoke and the fire alarm going off.

“Oh BUCK me!” She heard Vinyl yell from down the hall. Octavia threw herself from the bed and ran down the hall to meet Vinyl, who was holding a box of cereal, milk, two bowls, and spoons with her magic.

“Vinyl, what’s on fire?” Octavia asked, concerned.

“Failed pancakes. Want some cereal?” Vinyl walked over to the couch and poured herself a bowl.

“How... How do you light pancakes on fi-.. Nope, never mind.” Octavia looked in the kitchen to see black smoke rising from what looked like a pan.

“It’s fine, I extinguished it.” The unicorn said through a mouth of cereal.

“Just worried about the smoke damage.” The grey mare said, turning on a fan that sat in the window. She then sat next to her friend..no..her love, and also had a bowl of cereal.

“Got any plans today, Tavi?” Vinyl asked, gulping. The cellist shook her head, chewing softly.

“I don’t really have any plans until the Gala, Vinyl.” She spoke, swallowing her meal.

“Then how about we take a relaxing day? We went dancing last night, how about we just relax?”

“Sounds good. I need to practice anyway.”

“And I should try and get my name out there.” Octavia looked up at her. “but I’m sure that can wait.” Vinyl stood as a voice came from outside.

“Mail Call!”

“I’ll get it.” The unicorn said, opening the door to see a grey pegasus with yellow mane flying away, she had bubbles as her cutie mark from what Vinyl could see, telling her it was her favorite mail-carrier, Ditzy “Derpy” Hooves. The white mare took the mail from their box and brought it inside, closing the door with her magic.

“What’s in the mail?” Octavia asked, taking her bowl to the still smoke filled kitchen. She coughed a bit.

“Bill...bill..junk.. Something from the Princess.. Junk...bill..wait. What.” She shifted the mail back to the letter from the Princess. “Oh, it’s for you Octavia.” She handed the letter to her.

“Wow. Okay, let’s see what she has to say.” The grey mare opened the letter and red it out loud.

“Hear ye, hear ye”
Vinyl snorted and Octavia shot her a look.

“Sorry. Continue.”

“Hear ye, hear ye: Her Grand Royal Highness, Princess Celestia of Equestria, is pleased to announce The Grand Galloping Gala to be held in the magnificent capital city of Canterlot on the twenty first day of......Moving on.......Cogently extends an invitation to Octavia Philharmonica.” Octavia nodded and continued to read. “Octavia, I hope to see you playing with other ponies for the Gala, as I seem to see your style fit. Please arrive at least two weeks prior to the gala so you can meet and practice with the other musicians.

Your Princess,

Celestia of Equestria”

“Wait, two weeks before?” She read the last lines again. “That’s not a lot of practice time, but alright.” She looked over at Vinyl.

“She only sent one ticket.” the unicorn said silently, holding up the envelope. A hint of sadness washed over her voice. “Does she not know I live with you?”

“I’ll write a letter to her and ask if it’s a mistake.” Octavia re-assured her. “But you do realize the Gala is an uppity event. Everypony there is high class.”

“I can be fancy.... At times.” Vinyl ran a hoof over the carpet. The grey mare chuckled and kissed Vinyl’s cheek.

“I’ll see what I can do, dear.” She then walked into her room, closing the door behind her. A few minutes passed and Vinyl could hear her on her Cello, warming up. The unicorn sighed and walked into her own room, setting up her turn table to get ready to make a new mix, just because she could.