• Published 12th May 2016
  • 327 Views, 5 Comments

After So Long - ChaseTheChangeling



Best friends from freshmen year in high school, Octavia and Vinyl bond quickly and create a lasting friendship. But after Octavia stops answering calls and visiting, Vinyl has to face what she fears most. Losing a best friend. Based on a True Story

  • ...
 5
 327

Missing You

~~~~Present Day~~~~

"I don't know, I heard she was coked up and dead..." Neon said as his eyes stayed glued to his computer monitor. He switched from a window flashing weird porn to a window showing a song he had been working on the past few days.

"Neon, I highly doubt that's right, Octy was never the type to do something like that, she was so... focused." Vinyl sighed as she leaned back into the couch, a cat quickly coming up to her side and taking a seat on her shoulder.

It had been a whole five years. Vinyl was 20, and all of her friends were getting married and having children. Well, all except for her, Rarity and Neon. The home Vinyl sat in was a single studio apartment, clothes everywhere, and the house smelled of cooked rice, Magic cards and a lonely man and his cat. Vinyl would never make fun of her friend's poor ability to keep down a woman, as she wasn't doing any better, but something always made her chuckle at the thought of her friend being that single man with a cat, the shut in with a passion. That was Neon. Neon was also a horrible perv, but Vinyl liked that about him... most of the time. It was a trait they shared, aside from their love of music and art. In the home, aside from the two unicorns who sat looking into space despite their conversation, was a unicorn mare, a lovely figure of beauty, named Rarity.

Rarity had been a friend of Vinyl's since middle school, and a dear friend at that. Vinyl adored how Rarity, although she was aware of Vinyl's awkward shy and even off behavior, was able to put up with it and not shy away from making jokes. Unfortunately for the lovely Rarity, she was forced to endure a constant flow of Neon Light's "charm" as he tried numerous times to woo the lovely mare. Vinyl laughed at each advancement as they fell flat, and how much Neon had tried to charm her with promises of being allowed to borrow planes walkers in his deck. While that was indeed an honor, Rarity was not one for collectible cards and kindly refused. Again. Neon had just decided he would go back to watching his porn, and hoped that the screen would ease his pain, as it did every day.

"Well, if she's so straight edge, then why haven't you heard from her?" Neon began again, making Vinyl bite her lip nervously. Vinyl would have much rather her mind remain in space, as opposed to focusing on Octavia.

"It's not always drugs, Neon..." Vinyl said with a huff. The young DJ teared up as she thought about her friend, and how long it had been since they had last seen each other, her heart skipping when she remembered all of the jokes they made in class, how Vinyl flunked all of the classes except art, and how she wrote smiley faces on her finals to impress her friends. Vinyl remembered all of the times Neon would make a disgusting sex joke at lunch and they'd all just roll their eyes and continue like it was nothing, she even remembered how grossed out Octavia would get when Vinyl's coltfriend would come by and give her a kiss at her table.

"Honey, are you okay?" Rarity asked quickly. Vinyl shook her head, realising she had dozed off into a dream. When she looked around, Rarity had a worried look on her face, and Vinyl had noticed the stuffy nose and tears running down her own cheeks. With a quick wipe of her face, Vinyl rid herself of the weeping mess that had matted her fur.

"No... uh... I'm fine, I'm just thinking."

"If you're not feeling well, we can always just... go?" Rarity said in a low voice, however, no sound escapes the twitchy ears of a single stallion.

"Go?! Why? We were just getting started!" Neon chuckled spinning in his office chair. "You don't want to stay and.. you know.. have a little fun?" He gave a seductive raise of his brow. Rarity only gave a mortified look, her eyes darting back at Vinyl's, who had since began to rub at her puffy eyes and stand on her hooves.

"Well, Neon, I guess we should get going, as there isn't much more of a reason for me to stick around..." Vinyl sighed.

"Are you really that beat up about it?" Neon asked, his mirthful tone a sudden and serious flat.

"Y-yes...."

"Why? You don't usually get this... weird about ponies?"

"..."

"I'm sorry...." Neon finally said quietly. Vinyl seemed as if she didn't even hear before turning to leave the small apartment. As she stepped out, Rarity followed close behind.

Author's Note:

:heart: