• Published 16th Jun 2012
  • 8,323 Views, 170 Comments

Change Your Mind - Scottish Brony



After Twilight unintentionally casts the wrong spell at a get-together party, the Mane Six find themselves having to live each others' lives.

  • ...
17
 170
 8,323

Chapter 5

“No time like the present. Let’s get started,” said Twilight.

Fluttershy and Pinkie nodded and followed the pegasus to a lectern, ready to begin learning about magic.

“We’ll start off simple,” said Twilight, “Lifting objects is one of the easiest things you can do. Books,” she pointed to a red bound novel on the lectern, “are what you’ll be practicing on. But before you can do that, you need to know how to summon your magic.”

“Question!” said Pinkie, raising a hoof, “Instead of lifting books, can’t we just start with that mind-spell thingy?”

“Oh no, no, no! That’s far too complex for now. That would be like... say... like an amateur baker trying to make a scale model of Ponyville from cakes.”

“Oh, I get it. Okay!”

“With magic, like anything, you need to start off simple, then move on to bigger things. But as I said, you need to know how to summon your magic before you can do anything else.”

“Is that difficult?” asked Fluttershy.

The pegasus shook her head, “It shouldn’t be. Let’s try. Now, what I want you to do is concentrate and search inside yourself. To the core of your being.”

“How do we do that?” asked Pinkie, cocking her head.

Twilight put a hoof to her chest, “You should sense something inside you. You’ll know it when you feel it.”

“Okay. I’ll try,” said Fluttershy and closed her eyes. Pinkie followed suit.

It only took a few seconds for both unicorns to find the powerful energy inside their bodies. The two gave small gasps and opened their eyes.

“Is that magic?” the purple unicorn whispered in awe.

“How does it feel?” asked Twilight, intrigued by her friends’ amazement at something she took for granted every day.

“It’s... it’s...” stammered Pinkie, racking her brains. She found herself struggling for words; something which didn’t happen very often, “Wow, I don’t know! I’ve never felt anything like this before!”

“It’s like it’s there... but also like it’s... not there,” said Fluttershy with a frown, unsure of what she was saying.

“But it feels right. A part of me.”

“That’s because it is,” said Twilight, “Both of you are correct. Your magic is there, but only unicorns and other magical beings can sense it. In fact, pegasi and even earth ponies have a tiny bit of magic inside them, they just can’t use it.”

“So how do we use it?” asked Pinkie.

“Now that you know how to find it, using it is all a matter of simply willing it to do what you want. Although, for more complex spells, you’ll have to concentrate to keep it in line. I won’t lie — magic can be very volatile if not used properly.”

The two unicorns exchanged anxious glances.

“Don’t worry. I’m sure you two can manage it. But let’s see how you do with simple levitation. Who wants to try first?”

“Oh, you go ahead, Pinkie,” mumbled Fluttershy.

“You sure?” asked the white unicorn.

The other unicorn nodded.

“‘Kay.”

Pinkie cantered forward and awaited Twilight’s instructions.

“Thanks, Pinkie,” said the pegasus pony, “Now, find your magic and will it to your horn.”

The white unicorn looked back at her friends worriedly.

“What if I cast something by accident?” she asked Twilight.

“It won’t do anything unless you tell it to. Your horn can store the magic indefinitely until you dispel it.”

Pinkie took a deep breath, “Okay. Here goes.”

The unicorn searched inside for her magic again and found it easily. With a thought, she willed the magic to her horn like Twilight told her. She felt a strange sensation as the mystical energy passed through her body and flowed to her horn.

“Yes, you did it!” said Twilight, smiling.

Still wary, Pinkie looked up to check her horn and found it to be glowing a light azure colour.

“...So, it’s gonna stay there?” she asked, barely moving.

“Yes, Pinkie. Now relax; you won’t accidentally cast a spell. Besides, you need to study them, first.”

The white unicorn eased her tense muscles.

“Shall we get you started?” asked Twilight.

“Sure.”

“Good. What I want you to do is focus on the book. Next, have your magic surround it in the same way you brought it to your horn.”

Pinkie peered at the book and reached out with her magic. The novel was surrounded by a blue glow, ready to be manipulated.

“Great!” said Twilight, “Now you just tell it where to go and what to do with your mind. Try lifting it up a little and slowly bringing it towards you.”

The unicorn thought of the book lifting from its position and smiled when it happened before her eyes. Encouraged by this, she made it float towards her. Unfortunately, it was moving a little too fast, but she managed to stop the bestseller before it hit her in the face, taking a reflexive step back at the same time.

“Try to be careful,” said Rarity, “That is my body, after all. I’d like it back in one piece.”

“Oopsie. Sorry.”

“It’s alright,” said Twilight, “You did good for a first try. Now put it back.”

The book floated — slowly, this time — back to where it was originally on the lectern.

“Fluttershy. Your turn.”

With a nervous gulp, the purple unicorn stepped forward. She closed her eyes and brought her magic forth, making her horn glow.

Like a teacher instructing a student, Twilight took Fluttershy through the same steps as she did with Pinkie, the quiet pony showing around the same level of skill as her louder friend.

“Okay, good,” said Twilight, “Practice that a few times until you become comfortable with it and can move things exactly where you want.”

“In the meantime,” said Applejack with a sigh, “Ah gotta get mah keester over to Cloudsdale. Ya mind directin’ me where ah should go, Rainbow?”

“Yeah, no problem,” replied the earth pony, “I know Cloudsdale so well, I could fly around there with my eyes closed,” she claimed. Then a thoughtful look appeared on her face, “Hmmm... maybe I should try that when I get my wings back...?”

“While you’re decidin’, how about we get a move on?”

“Alright, hold your horses. We got plenty of time,” replied Rainbow, walking out the door with Applejack following, “Bye, you guys!”

“See you later!” Pinkie called after them, waving energetically until the door closed.

“Okay, let’s continue,” said Twilight, placing another book on a separate lectern, “I want you two to practice with these books. Make them float, rotate them, open them up, do everything you can.”

“How long should we do that?” asked Pinkie.

“Basically, until it feels natural.”

“Will that take long?”

“I don’t know. I’ve never heard of a situation like this before. Hopefully, since you’re in a unicorn body, it won’t take too long.”

“In the meantime, what should we do?” asked Rarity, who had stayed out of the lesson Twilight was giving, as the pegasus seemed to have everything covered.

“I guess I’ll practice flying some more. I’m still a little wobbly.”

“Hmmm. Myself, I’m slightly rusty when it comes to baking cakes, so I suppose I could do that. Do you have any cooking books?”

Putting a yellow hoof to her chin, Twilight thought for a moment, “I...ah! Yes, I do. You see over there?” she indicated to a bookcase nearby, “If I remember correctly, that’ll have a few things to help you out.”

“Thank you. Would it be alright if I used your kitchen? I can pay you back for anything I use.”

“...I don’t know if I’ll have everything you need, but sure.”

“I’ll work on something small, just to get into the swing of things. Once I get to Sugarcube Corner, I should be able to squeeze in some more practice there. Are you expected back at any particular time, Pinkie?” she asked, sliding a cookery book out.

The white unicorn, who was focused on using her magic, turned towards Rarity, “What’d you say?”

However, this shift in concentration caused the book she was using to careen towards the earth pony. Rarity cried out and ducked, covering her head with her hooves. The novel sailed overhead and thwacked against a wall and then fell to the ground with a soft thump.

“Rarity, are you okay?” asked Spike.

“Pinkie! Be careful!” scolded the earth pony, standing up.

“Sorry. I’m still new to this,” apologised the unicorn.

Rarity took a deep breath to calm herself, “Be mindful of what you’re concentrating on when you’re holding something.”

Twilight nodded, ”I should have mentioned that”, she said with an apologetic expression, “Your attention was suddenly on Rarity, so the book was thrown in her direction. Remember to keep what your holding in mind and don’t focus on something else entirely.”

“Okay,” said Pinkie, “Sorry, Rarity.”

The pink pony shook her head, “It’s fine. Just... be more careful, please. Now, I asked you if you had to be back at Sugarcube Corner any particular time?”

“Ummm... no. Some time before night, I guess.”

“Alright, I’ll stay until around lunch, then I’ll make my way over.”

“Be quiet when you go in. Pound and Pumpkin usually have their nap around then.”

“I’ll remember that. By the way, you had better not stay here too long, either. Maybe another hour or so. I want you to go to Carousel Boutique. You see, Sweetie Belle has been left in my care for a while because she is having her room redecorated. So I want you to make sure she’s okay and has finished her homework. Not to mention you should at least attempt to make some dresses.”

“I gotta learn magic and dress making?”

“We’ll all have to learn new skills and adjust our way of life for a while,” said Twilight, and lifted off with her wings, veering to her left a little, then came to a wobbly hover, “I’m afraid there’s no way around it.”

Pinkie lowered her head and nodded. She picked up the book she had accidentally thrown earlier with her magic and slowly floated it towards her. Rarity waited for a moment to make sure her friend didn’t launch the book through the air again and then walked into the kitchen.


A while later, the four ponies, along with Spike, sat in the library’s large main room around a table on which a plate was seated, holding some cakes Rarity had baked. They were small and roughly cylindrical with a topping of whipped cream.

“Sorry they’re so plain,” said Rarity, “but I didn’t have too much to work with.”

“I’ve not exactly got a fully-stocked kitchen, I know,” said Twilight.

“I wasn’t expecting to be able to make anything fancy, anyway. And I will reimburse you, I promise. But in the meantime, could you all please taste these and tell me how I did?”

“I think I’ll just use my hooves to pick this up,” said Pinkie as she reached out and took a cake, “We don’t need these flying around.”

“Oh, and, could you be honest?”

Rarity tapped the tips of her front hooves together as she waited for her friends’ verdicts.

“Well?” she asked.

“Um... one of the best cakes I’ve ever tasted,” said Fluttershy.

“I said be honest.”

The unicorn averted her eyes, “I... I was...”

“Please.”

“Honestly?” said Twilight, “Not that bad.”

“Yeah, that tasted great, Rarity!” said Spike.

The pink pony raised an eyebrow at him.

“Okay, okay,” he said, “It didn’t taste great, but it didn’t taste bad, either.”

“I suppose I’ll take that as a compliment. Pinkie, what did you think?”

“Eh... s’okay. Try stirring the mixture for a little longer. Makes the cake not fall apart so much in your mouth so you can enjoy eating it.”

“Yeah, it did kind of... disintegrate, for lack of a better word,” said Twilight.

“I see. I’ll keep that in mind,” said Rarity, putting a hoof to her chin, “Anyway Pinkie, I think it’s about time you got going.”

“Already?” asked Pinkie, blinking in surprise.

The earth pony nodded, “It’s been about an hour, yes. Please check on Sweetie Belle.”

“Alright, don’t you worry! She’s safe with me! I’ll take care of her like she was my own sister. And I guess she is, now. Only she’s not. But she kind of is. But she isn’t. Actually, I’d say it’s more—”

“Pinkie!”

“Oh! Sorry!” said the unicorn, smiling apologetically.

“One thing before you go.”

“Uh-huh?”

“Try to remember to act like me. So no hopping around and cramming your face with cupcakes and wearing a silly grin all the time.”

“Okay, okay, I’ll remember,” said Pinkie, then turned to leave. She stopped at the door and looked over her shoulder, “Twilight, should I try to open the door with my magic or not?”

“That depends. How well do you think you’ve managed with the book?” asked the pegasus while lowering herself to the ground.

“I think I’ve got the hang of it. Hee, I made it fly around like Rainbow Dash earlier, remember?”

“Yes, and knocked a whole shelf of books off at the same time.”

“Yeah, that was an accident.”

“I know, but just remember: magic is not a toy. Anyway, go ahead and try it. Be gentle.”

Pinkie summoned her magic and focused on the door, making it glow. Biting her lower lip in concentration, the white unicorn slowly swung the door open, then dispelled her magic.

She turned to her friends and flamboyantly raised a hoof in the air, “I bid you goodbye, dears. I must go and be fabulous, now!” she said, and with that, magically closed the door, although a little too hard.

Rarity shook her head at the unicorn’s act, “I suppose that was passable,” she said to the pegasus, who wasn’t trying to hide her grin.


At lunchtime, Rarity closed the cookery book she was leafing through — Tasty Techniques — and rubbed her eyes.

“I should be setting off,” she said, “Would you mind if I borrowed this, Twilight? I’m learning quite a bit from it.”

The pegasus turned her attention from Fluttershy, who was attempting to stop a book from spinning around in mid-air, “Sure, no problem. I think Pinkie left her saddlebags in here somewhere...”she said, looking around, “Spike? Did you see them?”

“Oh, yeah. I put them over here when I was cleaning up last night”, replied the dragon, crossing the room and picking up the white bags with their balloon-shaped buckles. He grunted as he hefted the bags, “What’s she got in here, anyway?”

“Probably some stuff for the party that we didn’t use,” said Twilight with a shrug, then turned back to Fluttershy, who had managed to stop the book from spinning, but now had it open upside-down.

Spike heavily set the bags down next to Rarity. The earth pony took the book in her mouth, but the dragon lightly put his hands on it, “Let me get that for you, Rarity.”

The pony let him take it, “Thank you, Spike,” she said, smiling.

He returned the smile and opened one of the satchels. He stumbled back when, to everyone’s surprise, three balloons, fully inflated, floated out. Spike looked inside the bag, “How did she fit them in there?”

He shrugged and slid the book into the empty pouch. Rarity ducked her head and slipped on the saddlebags.

“A little heavy, but... I can manage,” said Rarity, “Alright, then. I’ll see you three later. Good luck with your studies, Fluttershy. Remember to move at your own pace. Don’t try to advance too quickly. That could end badly.”

“Exactly right,” said Twilight, “Don’t worry about moving along slowly. Just stick with it, and you’ll get it,” the pegasus then looked over to Rarity, “Well, see you later. Have fun!”

“I’ll try. Adieu.”

Fluttershy and Spike bid her farewell and the pink pony left.

“I hope we can get everypony back to who they are soon,” said Spike, half to himself, “I like Pinkie and everything, but I’m not looking forward to hearing her — or her voice, at least — calling me ‘Spikey-wikey’.”

“It’ll take as long as it takes, and that’s it,” said Twilight, slightly worried that Spike’s off-hand comment had made Fluttershy feel pressured, “Besides, I think you can handle Rarity talking in Pinkie Pie’s voice for a while.”

“I guess...”

“So, ready to continue, Fluttershy?”

The unicorn sighed, “Okay.”

“What’s wrong?”

“...Oh, i–it’s nothing.”

“Come on, what is it?”

Fluttershy’s ears flattened, “No, it’s nothing,” she said, averting her eyes.

Twilight fixed her with a look, “Magic needs your full attention. You don’t want to have something else weighing on your mind, especially if you’re just starting out.”

“Sorry. I’m... I’m just a little tired.”

The pegasus smiled, “Is that all? Yeah, I suppose it’s time for a break.”

Fluttershy’s eyes wandered over to a window and she gazed out at the azure sky.

“I hope Applejack is doing okay,” she said.

“You know Applejack. She’ll do fine.”

“You’re right,” said Fluttershy. Then the image of Angel entered her head, “Listen, um, Twilight?”

“Uh-huh?”

“Well, uh, shouldn’t you be at my cottage taking care of the animals?”

The pegasus blinked, “I should. But... your studies...”

“I can keep an eye on them,” offered Spike.

“I don’t know. I mean, I do need to take care of the animals, but Spike, you’re not a unicorn. How can you—?”

“Hey, I hang around one every day. One of the most talented every day. I think I’ve learned a few things about how magic works.”

Twilight blushed at his praise, “...Okay. I guess I’ll give you a chance at this,” she said.

“Just leave it to me!”

But... if that’s going to happen, Fluttershy’s going to have to know your duties here — and also what you’re allowed to do... and what you’re not allowed to do.”

“What do you mean, ‘what I’m not allowed to do’?”

“Oh, nothing much. Just things like, no eating whole tubs of ice-cream.”

“Nah, I’ve learned my lesson,” said Spike, putting a hand over his stomach in remembrance of his last ice-cream induced stomach ache.

“I wonder about that. But anyway, fetch me a quill and paper, please.”

“Sure thing.”

Spike waddled off to get what Twilight requested. Once he was out of earshot, the pegasus stepped closer to Fluttershy. In a low voice, she said, “Not saying anything bad about him, but I just don’t want him to take advantage of your kind nature. Try not to cave in. Especially in regards to the ice-cream.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll take care of him,” replied Fluttershy.

Twilight smiled, “Thanks.”

The baby dragon returned with the quill and paper.

“What are you gonna write?” he asked.

“Things you should already know about how to conduct yourself here, meaning Fluttershy should never have to let you see this,” she said as meaningfully as possible.

With that, Twilight wrote down the “house rules”, although she was finding it awkward to write with a quill using her mouth.

“Here you go,” she said, presenting the rules to Fluttershy. The unicorn took the paper in her hooves and read over them.

“Oh, I see... and that makes sense... and... okay, I’ve got it,” said Fluttershy.

“Right. Would you be fine if I left now?”

“Um... yes. I promise I’ll continue practicing once I’ve refreshed myself.”

“Alright. I’ll head over to your cottage and check back in every so often.”

“Oh, about Angel. He’s a bit, uh...”

“I know.”

“Try not to take anything he does personally. He means well. He just has a different way of showing it.”

“Okay. Thanks,” said Twilight, then walked to the front door, “You behave, Spike. See you later!” she called over shoulder as she left.

“So...” said Spike once the door closed, “How about we have ice-cream while you’re on your break?”

Fluttershy ignored his large, hopeful smile and consulted the paper, “Um... Twilight says ‘no’.”

“Aw...”