• Published 16th Jun 2012
  • 8,324 Views, 170 Comments

Change Your Mind - Scottish Brony



After Twilight unintentionally casts the wrong spell at a get-together party, the Mane Six find themselves having to live each others' lives.

  • ...
17
 170
 8,324

Chapter 13

Bleary-eyed and moving sluggishly, Rainbow Dash pushed against the gate leading to the farm but found she was unable to budge it.

“Ugh... c'mon! Stupid thing. Open!”

Although she was certain she had unlocked the gate, the earth pony decided to check the lock again regardless. Sure enough, it was unlocked. That was when she discovered she wasn't pushing the gate, but rather the fence next to it. With a furtive glance to the left and right, she sidled over and practically leaning on the gate, opened it. Not expecting it to swing over so quickly, the earth pony lost her balance and fell forward. With a groan of pain and frustration, she shakily stood up like a foal finding its legs and pushed her hat back, the headwear having fallen over her eyes.

“Stupid gate...” she grumbled and shoved it closed.

With a tired sigh, she turned and slowly cantered over to the house.

“Hey, I'm home,” she said upon entering, without a hint of an accent, nor bothering to open her eyes to see if anypony was actually there.

“Applejack?” said a deep voice behind her.

It took Rainbow Dash a few seconds to realise she was being addressed and turned to look over shoulder.

“Oh hey, Big... um... Big MacDonald... or... yeah, hi. So, we harvestin'?”

“Eeyup. But you should go to bed and get some sleep. Now,” said the red stallion.

“And you should stop telling me that every day!” retorted Dash, “I can handle this, so if ya don't mind?” she waved him out of the way with a foreleg.

With a drooped head and heavy, plodding steps, the earth pony carried herself past Big Macintosh towards the apple orchard, not even noticing Apple Bloom standing next to her brother.

The stallion shook his head and followed his sister, knowing better than to argue with her when she was tired.

A few minutes later, he had just finished bucking his second tree when he heard Apple Bloom scream. His head snapped in the direction of her voice and he dashed towards it. He stopped in his tracks when he saw his orange-coated sister lying on her side, eyes closed, unmoving.

“She... she just fell over!” cried the filly, shaking and clutching the older pony's dislodged hat, “She won't wake up! Is... is she...?”

Big Macintosh placed a hoof on his prone sister's side and put his ear close to her pale face.

“It's alright, she's breathin',” he assured Apple Bloom.

He shook the blonde pony, softly at first, then a little more firmly. When there was no reaction, he shoved his muzzle under her and manoeuvred himself until she was lying on his back. He then carefully lowered her onto a cart with two hay bales. With little effort, he lifted the bales off and using a few loose pieces of hay, made a small pile which he laid his sister's head on.

“Everything'll be fine,” said the stallion, hitching himself up to the cart, “Tell Granny that Applejack's fainted and ah'm takin' her to the hospital.”

Sniffling, Apple Bloom wiped her tears and nodded. With the cart securely attached, Big Macintosh turned and headed towards Ponyville.


With the tips from Rainbow Dash, Applejack was able to clear clouds a lot faster, but she still wouldn't be setting any world records.

She landed on a cloud and dug shallow ruts with all four hooves like she had been taught. This would allow her to grip the cloud and rip it apart by moving her legs out in a starfish shape. With a casual glance over the side of the cloud, she stopped and leaned down, something catching her eye.

She saw her brother walking through the town, drawing a cart, which in itself wasn't unusual. What made her stop and look was what, or rather who, was in the back of the cart.

Lying there was her. Or rather, Rainbow Dash in her body. She knew Dash wouldn't just climb into a hay cart for a sleep, no matter how tired she was. Not after that one time when Applejack had found her napping in a full cart about to be transported into town. After a short argument, the rainbow pegasus had reluctantly promised never to do it again.

Now here she was once more, lying on her side in an empty hay cart. Something bad must have happened. Applejack looked around for her team leader and flew over to him.

“Uh, 'scuse me... Storm Chaser, sir?”

The dark grey pegasus launched a kick at the cloud behind him, “What is it?” he asked.

“Can I be excused? I'll be right back.”

“Can't you hold it in for ten more minutes?” he asked, flying to another cloud.

“No, no, it's not that,” she said following him, “It's just... you see that cart down there? With the pony in it?”

Storm Chaser sighed, “What about it?”

“That's my friend. I... I think she might be hurt or something. Please, can I go and check on her? I'll only be a couple of minutes. Please?”

The pegasus looked around at the clouds. There weren't that many left, so he supposed that he could give her a moment.

“Alright, but don't be too long. I want you right back,” he told her.

“Thank you,” replied Applejack and flew down towards her brother.


“Big Mac!”

The stallion stopped and looked over his shoulder at the sound of Rainbow Dash's voice. He watched as she landed inside the cart, staring worriedly at her friend.

“What happened to R... Applejack?” she asked, leaning over the earth pony.

“Ah don't rightly know. That's why ah'm takin' her to the hospital,” he explained, continuing on his way.

“What was she doin'?”

“Applebuckin'. But it don't seem like she even finished her first one. Ah heard Apple Bloom scream, and when ah got there, Applejack was just lyin'on the ground,” he said, then shakily exhaled, “...Ah'll admit ah got a fright...”

The rainbow pegasus felt like hugging him, but knew that would be a strange thing for her to do. At least from his perspective.

“Thanks for taking care of her,” she said instead.

Big Macintosh looked back and gave her a small smile, “She's mah sister.”

Upon hearing those words, the pegasus felt tears welling up in her eyes.

Ah miss you, Big Mac...

“Uh, listen, I gotta get back. I'll swing by the hospital as soon as I finish work.”

The red stallion silently nodded in response and the pegasus flew back into the summer sky.


With a low groan, Rainbow Dash slowly opened her eyes halfway.

“She's wakin' up!” said a young voice to her left.

Turning her head towards the voice, the earth pony struggled to focus her eyes, but all she saw was a blurry yellow shape. She closed her eyes for a few more seconds, then opened them again. Her vision wasn't fully clear, but she could see she was lying in a bed and saw Apple Bloom nearby. Next to her was Big Macintosh and on the right sat Granny Smith with sunlight coming in through a window behind her. And at the foot of the bed was her hat, hanging on a corner of the frame.

“What...? Where...?” mumbled Dash in confusion.

“You're in the hospital,” said Apple Bloom.

“Hospital? Why?”

“You fainted,” said Big Mac, “So ah brought you here. Ah told the doctor about it and he said it sounded like you passed out from exhaustion.”

“I'm not exhausted... not even tired...” said Dash, oblivious to the fact her eyes were still only half-open and she was talking in the voice of somepony who just woke up.

“They said you should stay here fer a coupla days,” said Apple Bloom.

“Stay here? Don't think so.”

The earth pony tried to push herself up and out of the bed, but after discovering her forelegs had no strength, she slumped back, breathing heavily.

“Now listen, Applejack. You stay here and do what those doctor-folks tell you,” said Granny Smith.

“But Granny, I don't—”

“Ah ah!” said the old mare, holding up a wrinkled hoof, “Don't 'but Granny' me. You just lie there and get some sleep like we've all been tellin' ya to do. Okay?”

Rainbow Dash closed her eyes and sighed, “Fine...”

With her eyes closed, she gradually felt a pleasant calm come over her and it wasn't long before she fell into a deep sleep. The ponies around her stayed at her side for another few minutes and then decided to leave her to rest. Apple Bloom took her sister's hoof and pressed it to her cheek for a moment before following her brother and grandmother out.


Lying on her right side, Dash opened her eyes halfway and saw a familiar cyan pony with a rainbow mane. She stared at the pony blankly for a few seconds, barely registering who it was, before closing her eyes to the smiling face.

Her brow furrowed and she opened her eyes for another look. The other pony's expression had changed to one of confusion.

“Rainbow Dash?” said the pony.

“...Applejack? What're you doin' here?”

“Checkin' up on you, what do ya think?” said Applejack with a small smile, but lines of worry were clearly visible on her forehead.

“I dunno. Maybe ya like walkin' around hospitals for no reason?” Rainbow Dash said back, a smirk on her own face.

“Ha! Looks like whatever happened to you hasn't changed ya at all. Speakin' of which, what did happen? All's ah know is that you collapsed, accordin' ta Big Macintosh.”

With a small amountof effort, the earth pony pushed herself into a half-sitting, half-lying position, resting against the headboard.

“I don't know,” said Dash, “Last thing I remember is going out to the apple orchard... then something happened... and next thing I know, I'm in a hospital bed. Exhaustion, or so the doctors say.”

“Ya pushed yerself too hard, Rainbow. We Apples might be hard-workin', but if we don't rightly feel up to strenuous work, we take a step back until we do. And after what happened to me last applebuck season, ah learned that we get some sleep if we need it.”

With a slight blush, Rainbow looked away and stared at her hooves on her lap.

“Everypony was telling me to do that... but I didn't want to let you down, AJ. I figured I should work my hardest so when we get back to normal, you wouldn't have to pick up after me.”

“Aw, you don't have ta do that, sugarcube. Ah'd understand,” replied Applejack, placing a hoof on Dash's.

The earth pony looked over at her rainbow-maned friend and smiled thankfully. They turned when they heard a knock at the door.

“Oh, ah went round and told everypony else before ah came here,” said Applejack.

Sure enough, four ponies and a baby dragon entered, headed by a purple unicorn with a troubled look on her face. When she saw Rainbow Dash lying in the bed, her expression changed to shock and she rushed over to her oldest friend.

“Oh, Rainbow Dash, are you okay?” asked Fluttershy, her voice quivering with emotion.

“Hey, don't worry, I'm fine,” said the earth pony, “I just got a little too sleepy, heh.”

“Are you sure? You're not hurt?” asked the unicorn, trying to blink back tears.

“No, no, no. I just... fell asleep, y'know? Don't be so worried.”

Fluttershy wrapped her forelegs around Dash's neck and buried her face in the other pony's shoulder with a small squeak.

Rainbow smiled, “Oh, Fluttershy...” she said with a sigh and returned the embrace.

A fluffy pink mane came into view at the foot of the bed, “We brought you some flowers to spruce this dreary room up,” said Rarity, holding a vibrant bouquet of flowers in one hoof, “Hospitals do a lot of good for one's health, but not the senses. Their décor leaves much to be desired. A simple painting or two wouldn't hurt.”

While Rarity looked around the room to decide the best place to put the flowers, Twilight, with Spike riding on her back, walked to the bedside.

“What do you mean by you 'fell asleep'?” she asked.

“The doctor says exhaustion,” replied Rainbow, holding a calmed Fluttershy's hooves, “I just fell over, I guess, and... then I woke up here.”

“You mean you just collapsed?”

“Collapsed?” repeated Fluttershy and held onto Dash's hooves tighter.

“Twilight!” mouthed Rainbow.

“Sorry...” the pegasus mouthed back.

“Yeah, but like I said, I'm fine now. I just need to get my strength back. But I...” she paused to yawn, “But I just don't feel right lyin' here doing nothing...”

“They'll be able ta handle things 'til you're back on yer hooves,” Applejack assured her.

“If you say so.”

“Ah do. Now, you want us to leave so you can get yer sleep?”

“Actually, I wouldn't mind if you all stayed for a bit.”

“Hey, Dashie?” piped up Pinkie Pie, “Are you hungry? Want me to bring you a cupcake or seven?”

The earth pony put a hoof on her stomach, “No, I'm not hungry right now. But if you bring me a couple in when you've got time, I'm not gonna complain. Especially since all I'll have to eat for the next few days is that delicioushospital food,” she said, rolling her eyes.

“Really? Hospital food's delicious now? Hey, can I have some? When are you getting fed?”

“Sure, you can have it. Might not be for everypony's tastes, though.”

“Yay!” cheered Pinkie, jumping up and down.

Is it good?” asked Spike, “I've never had hospital food before.”

“Believe me, you don't wanna...” replied Dash, shaking her head, “About the only good things are the desserts.”

“Rainbow, you really should eat what they give you,” said Twilight, “It might not be the best cooking, but like you said yourself, you need to get your strength back.”

“I'll try...”

“Oh, this is just terrible!” said Rarity.

“Calm down. Having to eat hospital food isn't that bad,” said Rainbow, giving the pink pony a strange look.

Rarity held up the flowers, “No, I mean I can't find a single good spot to put these. There's not even a vase in here.”

“Just... I dunno... put 'em on that chair in the corner.”

“On a chair?”

“It's somewhere. And I'll be able to see them from here.”

Rarity considered this, then raised her eyebrows and nodded.

Following another yawn, Rainbow found her eyes closing on their own accord, despite her best efforts to force them to stay open.

“I think we better leave,” said Twilight, smiling, “Looks like Dashie-washie is getting sleepy-weepy again.”

The earth pony was too tired to shoot her a look, so instead mumbled incoherently as she slid under the covers, admitting defeat to the weariness overpowering her.

They all quietly left, and although Fluttershy wanted to stay at her side, she was convinced to leave her friend in peace and quiet.


After visiting Rainbow Dash, Applejack had went straight to her cloud home. She had a few chores to do, including cleaning the house, washing the dishes, and feeding Dash's pet turtle, Tank. For the past few days, she had been cleaning up the house, room by room. Rainbow wasn't exactly a saint when it came to keeping her house clutter-free, but she at least had her dishes washed and fresh food in her kitchen. That didn't mean things weren't randomly and haphazardly placed all over the house, as if the pegasus had just put something down on the nearest surface when she was finished with it. Why else would there be two unfolded newspapers lying on the kitchen counter right next to the sink? Not to mention the tower of Daring Do books in her bedroom.

Good thing Rarity can't fly, thought Applejack amusedly, 'Cause if she saw the mess in this house, she'd probably go stir-crazy...

She laid down some chopped lettuce leaves for Tank in his pen, smiling as his neck slowly stretched out and he began chewing. It was so relaxing to watch him slowly toddle around and swim in his pool. Much different to taking care of an active farm dog like Winona. If Applejack had been gone for more than a few hours, Winona would run up barking and try to lick her face. Tank, on the other hoof, would simply turn his head towards the opening door and smile when he saw his owner walk in.

The thought of Winona got Applejack thinking about the rest of her family. After some deliberation, she opened the front door and flew out into the night sky towards Sweet Apple Acres. She knew everypony in her real home would be sleeping at this time, but that's what she wanted — it would mean they wouldn't question why 'Rainbow Dash' was hanging around outside their house.

When she reached the house, she hovered outside Granny Smith's window and saw her sleeping soundly, her false teeth in a glass of water on her bedside table.

“Hope you're keepin' well, Granny...” she said in a low voice.

She moved to Big Macintosh's window, but could barely see him in the dark room.

“Thanks fer doin' what you did today, Big Mac. You've always been there.”

With a sigh, she then flew to Apple Bloom's room window and saw her in bed, her face lit by the light of the moon.

Her window was open and with a sense of apprehension, Applejack opened it a little more and quietly glided in. Her little sister barely reacted, but the pegasus still felt a knot of anxiety in her stomach. She crept over to the sleeping filly and carefully reached out a hoof. She lightly stroked her sister's mane, taking care not to wake her. After pausing to take a breath and get her emotions under control, Applejack leaned down and kissed the filly's cheek. Apple Bloom stirred slightly and smiled in her sleep.

“Ah love you, Apple Bloom,” whispered Applejack.

The pegasus took another look at her sister and then flew out just as quietly as she entered, moving the window to where it was before. She turned and headed back the way she came to get some sleep of her own.