• Published 18th Jul 2016
  • 5,486 Views, 221 Comments

Celestia and Luna Regret Playing Truth or Dare - Diamond_Emblem



It's been a few months since the Mane Six played their first game of Truth or Dare at their slumber party. Starlight and Spike are here to join the fun, too. Then two unexpected guests come knocking. It'll be total chaos.

  • ...
6
 221
 5,486

Chapter 10: Starlight: What was Her Worst Date?

After a few minutes of making themselves look presentable, Spike and Applejack returned to the slumber party room. Rainbow Dash seemed to be plotting a way to get Spike and Applejack to fess up while Starlight seemed to have a rather mixed expression on her face. Twilight exhaled. This night was just getting filled with more drama with every turn that passed, regardless of how fun the previous turns had been.

"Starlight and Applejack, the remaining two ponies of this round!" Pinkie Pie exclaimed into a microphone. "Who'll come out of this next turn alive? Will it be the honest-to-a-fault farmer pony Applejack? Or will Lady Luck be with recently-reformed Starlight? No pony knows! The anticipation is killing me !"

"Uh, Pinkie Pie?" interrupted Spike. "It's Starlight's turn."

Pinkie Pie peered over the foot of her bed and saw the Wheel of Choice's arrow had decided Starlight was going to be the pony in the limelight.

"Hey!" Pinkie Pie said. "I didn't even get to finish my commentary!"

"Less commentary, more regrets!" Rainbow Dash exclaimed, rubbing her hooves together.

"I already regret everything," Starlight said with a dry smile.

"What'll it be, Starlight?" asked Applejack, looking relieved that she hadn't been picked. "Truth or dare?"

"Honestly, I feel like dares should come later in the game," Starlight admitted. "So for my first turn, I'm going with truth."


The first time Starlight had played Truth or Dare with her friends was a short while after Flurry Heart was born. She had been such a nervous wreck before the slumber party; Starlight had even debated ditching a few minutes before the rest of the players were supposed to arrive.

"They'll understand that I don't want to play," Starlight said to herself, pacing in her room. "They're you're friends. Well, new friends. What if they don't understand? They won't invite me again. But even if they did, I would chicken out, just like what I'm doing now."

"Starlight?"

The reformed mare looked to the door and saw Spike was carrying several plates of nachos. He looked concerned, and without asking, stepped into Starlight's room.

"Oh, uh..." Starlight took a deep breath. "Hi, Spike."

"Hey," Spike said. "I heard you talking to yourself. Again. Is everything okay?"

"That would depend on your definition of okay," Starlight replied reluctantly. "I don't think I'm ready to do this."

"You're not ready to have a slumber party?" Spike asked.

"No," the mare admitted. "What if I mess something up? I'll ruin the slumber party! And I'll ruin my chance at getting closer with everypony."

"Hey, this is my first slumber party with everypony, too," Spike said. "I'm as worried as you are about the same things."

Starlight blinked. "Really? You don't show it."

"That's cause I'm so relaxed on the outside!" Spike boasted.

Starlight paused for a moment to remember him hyperventilating the other day when one of his most precious gems was gone. "Yeahhhhh," she agreed slowly.

"But you need to stop thinking so extremely," Spike said. "Keep your chin up. You can't be so negative about friendship all the time."

"I don't know, Spike," Starlight said. "I'm so new to friendship. And even though I'll become better friends with everypony, I just don't think I'm ready for this yet."

"Of course you are!" Spike said encouragingly. "Think of it this way: Since this is my first slumber party, then we could both mess this up. And if you mess up, I'll mess up with you."

Starlight managed to smile. "You would do that for me?" she asked.

"Yeah!' Spike replied, returning a smile. "We're friends! That's what friends do."


"Twilight, Princess Luna, and Fluttershy! The Wheel of Choice has decided that you three are gonna pick Starlight's question!"

Starlight blinked, shaken out of her memory by Rainbow Dash's voice. Across the room, Twilight, Luna, and Fluttershy were exchanging rapid glances.

What was that about? Starlight wondered. It was strange to remember that night, considering the current situation that Spike and herself had dug themselves into.

"Alright, Starlight!" Twilight said abruptly. "I'll begin with my question: What was your worst day?"

"Oooo! Good one, Twilight!" Pinkie Pie said. "Princess Luna, you go next!"

Luna cracked a smile. "Starlight Glimmer, I, Princess Luna, ask you this: Have you ever been on a date before?"

"Very good, Princess!" Rarity exclaimed. "Fluttershy, darling, you're up!"

Starlight braced herself. In the beginning, Fluttershy's questions and dares hadn't been very extreme. From sitting in mud, or asking what their favorite memory was, she was infamous in the "Boring" category. However, as time had passed, her dares and questions had gotten extreme at an accelerating rate.

"Starlight, what was your worst date?" Fluttershy asked.

"Whoa!" Spike said, his left eye twitching. "Fluttershy just combined Twilight's question with Luna's question! And this question involves a date!"

"What's wrong with a silly little question, Spike?" Starlight asked innocently.

A lot. A lot was wrong with the question. Starlight remembered how her most embarrassing date had gone. It was recent, too, and she had a feeling that it was another reason for the arguing between Spike and her.

"So, Starlight?" Celestia asked. "What'll it be?"

"Give me a moment to think," Starlight said.

On one hoof, she could take her next shot at Spike. On the other hoof, she didn't want to relive the experience. And it would most likely give Spike some firepower that she really didn't want to hoof over.

But at least he would know she had more than dates he did in his life.

"You know what, Fluttershy?" Starlight smiled brightly. "I'll answer your question!"

"That's gotta be a first," Rainbow commented. From Fluttershy's bed, Cookie Dough yapped in agreement.

"My most embarrassing date..." Starlight paused to remember the details. "Well, it was in a particularly elegant restaurant in the Crystal Empire. My date was there first, no surprise."

"So are you familiar with this pony?" Rarity asked, batting her eyelashes innocently.

"Oh, this pony is a friend of mine," Starlight explained. "I arrive to the restaurant, dressed as if I were going to the Grand Galloping Gala."

"Ooo!" Pinkie exclaimed. "Sounds like you REALLY like this pony!"

"I suppose you could say that," Starlight said. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Spike's eyebrows narrowing.

"I enter and I see him sitting at a table near the window," Starlight continued. "But as I get closer to the table, I trip on my dress and fall muzzle first onto the floor. And that's when he saw me."

"Oof," Rainbow said.

"I know!" Starlight agreed. "I get up, trying to redeem myself and walk over to him. He says, 'What's with the dress?' He didn't even ask if I was alright!"

"Stallions," Applejack said, rolling her eyes. "Sometimes Ah can't understand them."

"Anyway, I try to talk to him about everything new that I've experienced her in Ponyville, but he just wants to talk about one of my friends!" Starlight's voice was beginning to rise. "What's worse is when I asked him why he was so interested in in my friend, he said, 'He's better.' What does that even mean?"

"I ended up leaving early. I didn't like how the date was about my friend and not us," Starlight admitted. "And that was my worst date ever."

"That's it?" Rarity asked, looking quite puzzled.

"Yes," Starlight replied. "Is something wrong?"

"Well, darling, I've had my fair share of worst dates," the fashionista explained. "Your story is very tame compared to the dates I've been on."

"Heh," Starlight said, swallowing with difficulty. "I think that's because I haven't been on many dates, and honestly, Rarity, who wouldn't bend over backwards to go on a date with you? You're an amazing mare with the greatest looks in Ponyville!"

"Oh, you flatter me!" Rarity said, obviously pleased with the compliment.

"I suppose we should move onto the final turn of this round," Twilight suggested. She faced Applejack. "You better get ready, AJ!"

Fluttershy's eyes narrowed. Applejack was keeping something back from the rest of the group. And she was surprisingly determined to figure out what her secret was as the tension began to escalate.

Author's Note:

It's been a while, my old friend...