• Published 24th Apr 2016
  • 21,020 Views, 3,732 Comments

What I Am - Knight Breeze



Somewhat confused at the recent turn of events, Alex desperately tries to find his place in this strange, yet familiar land. However, dark powers loom on the horizon, threatening to destroy not only his new home, but his old one as well...

  • ...
41
 3,732
 21,020

Chapter XXI

Chapter XXI

“I guess we should probably start with the most basic of questions. What are those things that took our people, and what do they want?”

The odd silver probe gave another one of those weird hums before answering. “Their species name is Krin, being derived from one of their more ancient tongues. They are a militaristic species that previously attempted to conquer the known galaxy.” The machine tilted to the side, as if thinking about something. “As for what they want, I can only guess. I am not Krin, and am not privy to their thoughts or plans.”

Ambassador Garcia paused as an endless stream of questions poured through his head. Finally, he settled on one. “Why were you studying us?”

“That, I can tell you. My race is called the Quzin, and physically, we are somewhat dissimilar to your kind.” There was a faint whirring sound, and a small, reptile-like creature appeared on the table between Ambassador Garcia and the strange, floating probe. Garcia instinctively pulled back, only to stop when he realized that he wasn't about to be vaporized. “Do not be afraid, it is merely a miniaturized projection of an average member of my species.”

“Uh… I, uh… gathered that,” Garcia said, scooting forward a little bit and giving the robot a sheepish smile. He then looked to the projection with interest; if he was going to be talking to more of these things in the future, he ought to become a bit more familiar with how they looked.

The miniature Quzin was very reptilian in nature; it had a long, snake-like tail that it supported itself on, four arms, scaly skin, and four eyes on… a surprisingly human-like head. The head was so human, in fact, that Garcia was pretty certain he had seen this kind of thing in a movie before. It was still obviously alien, what with the scaly skin and all, but the general dimensions and symmetry were still very human-like.

“You say we’re different from each other, but I’m already noticing some similarities,” Garcia said as he leaned further in.

“As you should. The facial structure alone was enough to draw our attention, but that is not, ultimately, the reason why we study you.” The projection disappeared, and was quickly replaced by a projection that was all too familiar to the ambassador.

“You’re here for our brains?” Garcia asked, fear shooting into his voice.

The robot gave out a soft, jolly-sounding chuckle at that. “No, ambassador. This is not a human brain. This is a Quzin brain.”

This revelation stunned the ambassador, so much so that he found himself unable to form coherent sentences. “How…” he started to say but trailed off as he studied the image from every angle. He was hardly a neurosurgeon, so he couldn't be too certain that it was an identical match. The resemblance was still very uncanny however.

“How... is this possible? Only the Creator knows why he made us cousins," the probe said, finishing the human's unfinished thought "This is why we study you. Why my superiors left me behind and, if my guess is correct, also why the Krin have come for you.”

Ambassador Garcia looked up at the silver probe as a lump forming in his throat. He didn't need the alien to finish; he already could guess what Yavaar was implying. Despite this, though, the alien still finished his explenation. “We went to war with the Krin to prevent their conquest of the know galaxy. While the war was costly on both sides, we still defeated them quite handily; so much so that they were never able to… successfully capture any of my kind for study. It is only a guess, but I would assume that they are here to study you, in hopes of finding a weakness in my kind.” The probe looked like it was thinking for a moment, its focus on the scared-looking diplomat. For the first time since the interview had began, it seemed to consider the state he had put the ambassador in. “For being drawn into a conflict in which you have no stake or reason, I am truly sorry.”

* * *

“Well? What do you think, Colonel?”

Colonel Conners scratched the back of his head, his gaze locked on the silver probe in the live feed. “In all honesty, sir? I think we’re in some deep crap, regardless of whether or not that thing is telling the truth. The only thing that this thing's story changes here is if we have allies or not.”

General Burton nodded sagely, his eyes never leaving the alien probe. “Never thought I'd see the day we’d meet other life out there… and it turns out that it's been watching us for a while. Wonder what it thinks of us so far…”

“I used to think that any aliens watching us must think we’re crazy,” Colonel Conners chipped in, drawing the general from his musings. The general looked at Conners, the question in his eye prompting Conners to continue. “I always figured that we probably looked like savages, sir. Fighting our petty, meaningless wars, worshiping our meaningless gods, and dying our meaningless deaths. In all honesty, I figured that if anyone was up there, then they’d definitely gotten past all of that before getting into space.”

“And now, Colonel?”

Conners took a deep, cleansing breath before continuing. “Sir, the first things we hear from an alien outside our solar system is ‘We’re at war.’ That, coupled with the fact that we apparently have a religious AI on our hands, and I’m starting to think that maybe we aren't as savage as I thought.”

The general gave the Colonel an appraising look. “I take it you don't go to church very often.”

“I stopped going to church the second I was out of my old man’s house,” the colonel said stiffly. “He and I… didn't get along. I always thought God was a scam used on fools who didn't know any better…” The colonel looked back at the screen, took a shuddering breath, then continued. “The aliens believing in God, or gods, presents two problems in my opinion. First one is that we don't want to be branded as infidels by a species infinitely superior to us.”

The general nodded, looked toward the screen, then back at the colonel. “And the second?”

“The second is how am I going to explain to my dad and pastor why I suddenly decided to come back to church and try the whole praying thing again…”

General Burton snorted at that, desperately trying to keep a straight face. “Well, let me tell you this: I'm sure your father will just be happy to have his boy talking to him again.”

The colonel looked a little sour at that, but did not otherwise respond. That was fine, though, since the general wasn't exactly looking to continue the conversation either. Leaning forward, he pressed the intercom button on the console in front of him. “Andrew, I’ve made my decision. Tell our new friend that we're bringing engineers in to help him now.”

The ambassador on the other end of the screen gave a slight nod, then began to relay the information to the alien creature. To say the creature was happy about this development was an understatement. Colonel Conners listened to the alien gush for a few seconds before giving his general a questioning look. “What pushed you over the edge?”

The general shrugged, before straightening out his shirt. “Well, it's like you said earlier. We’re screwed regardless of whether or not this thing is telling the truth. The only thing this changes is whether or not we have some friends out there.” The general took one last look at the screen before turning towards the door. “Besides, even if we are dealing with a race of religious nuts, it wouldn't hurt to do them a favor or two to get on their good side.”

Without another word, the general turned and left the room. Colonel Conners took one more look at the console before shivering to himself and following his general out the door.

* * *

“Hey, Mom! I’m home!” I shouted as I closed the door behind me.

My mom turned to me, a smile on her lips as she pulled a casserole out of the oven. “Hey, Alex, I didn't know you were stopping over today! You should have called!”

I shrugged a little as I hung up my jacket. “I’m not staying for long, just had a bit of trouble with the module I’m writing. Thought I’d swing by and see how Dad’s managing with his new prothstetics.”

Mom just rolled her eyes, and nodded her head towards the living room. “Your father’s still as stubborn as always. He’s already fallen five times this morning alone. See if you can talk some sense into him, get him to rest if you can.”

“Will do,” I said as I made my way to the living room. As expected, there was Dad, face down on the carpet with his new and old limbs splayed out in all directions. None of them were moving, and he seemed to be trying his best to catch his breath. I noticed that Uncle Jerry was here, and currently sitting on the couch with his feet propped up on the coffee table. “You know, Ryan, if you push yourself any harder, I think you’ll set a speed record for fastest person to do ‘the worm.’” Jerry said blandly as he looked down at his sister’s husband.

Dad didn't say anything. Apparently he had tuckered himself out to the point where he couldn't even talk. With a bit of a sigh, I bent down and reached out for my father. “Hey Dad. You sho-”

What I was about to say died instantly in my throat as my claws passed straight through my father’s back and into his lungs. He gave a strangled gasp that was barely heard above the horrified bellow coming from my uncle.

Before I could even register what had happened, though, the world around me seemed to fracture like glass, and a reassuring calm swept through me, drowning out the horror of the scene that I had just witnessed. I took a shuddering breath and plopped down on the floor right before the world around me shattered into a million pieces. Luckily for me, or more likely by design, whatever was underneath me decided to remain solid. “It’s just a dream… Only a dream…” I muttered as I wrapped my arms around myself, shaking violently, trying desperately to rid myself of those images plaguing my mind.

“I will be with you shortly, Alex,” Luna’s voice echoed through the black void, catching my attention. “There is something I must attend to first.”

I just nodded, not really trusting myself to say anything at that point. I was still messed up pretty badly, despite the calming influence that Luna was trying to engender through my mind. I could feel her, like a thick blanket, trying her best to soothe what was probably a roiling sea underneath.

After a few minutes, or hours, or days of this, my breathing finally calmed, and my shivering stopped. I took a deep, cleansing breath, right as I felt something feathery drape over my shoulders.

“Would you like to talk about it?” Luna asked, her voice slightly echoey in the empty dreamspace.

I took one more breath before shaking my head. “N-no, not now… We’ve got too many things that are more important to talk about.”

I couldn't see Luna from my position, but I felt her as she shook her head. “It can wait, we do not need to-”

“Yes, we do,” I said as I stood up and wrapped my arms around myself again, though I didn't turn to look at her. I didn't trust myself enough for that yet. “Look, I appreciate what you’re trying to do for me, and everything you've already done for me. Far more than you know, but…” I let out my breath in a ragged sigh, my arms falling to my sides as I looked down at the endless dreamscape below us. “I’m broken, and a few therapy sessions, even ones as good as these, isn't going to change that. It’ll take time. Time that, unfortunately, has better uses right now than helping me work through my personal issues.”

Feeling less likely to break down completely after saying that, I turned to look at her, and noticed that she had a look in her eye that said that she didn't quite want to let this go. Luckily, she didn't press the issue. “Okay. Whenever you’re ready,” she said, giving me one last searching look before asking her first question. “I suppose we should start something you are more familiar with. Who were the Prometheans that came before you? You seemed to know them...”

I sighed, and shook my head. “The Prometheans… they were a civilization that lived almost… well…” I stopped for a bit, then looked around at the blank world around us. “How does this place translate time measurements? Is my year the same as yours?”

“The Aether tries to match our closest concepts to each other. I know the amount of time you are referring to, and it is a little bit longer than what my people measure as a year,” Luna said as she gave me a curious look.

“Well, the Prometheans, or Greeks, were a civilization that existed over two thousand years ago,” I said wryly.

The shocked look on her face was priceless. “If… If they existed two thousand years ago, just how long was Discord’s reign…?” She asked herself.

I looked down at the endless abyss, a lump forming in my throat as my mind worked furiously. I didn't even want to speculate about that. I was far too busy thinking about the things that I at least had partial answers to give to even know where to begin guessing about the length of the reign on a long dead god. “I don't know... I can at least give a guess as to why they came, and why this… Discord, was after Gaea, though," I said as I gave the princess a rueful smile. This theory had been percolating in my brain ever since Titania had first mentioned the name 'Gaea', and now was the time to see if it held up. I needed a few more pieces of the puzzle first, though. “My guess is a bit out there, and it all hinges on how magic works.”

“What is it that your are unsure about?” Luna asked, curiosity burning in her eyes.

I took a deep breath, then let it out before continuing. “Is it possible to… well, overuse a magical field? To deplete it?”

Luna nodded at this, an amused look on her face. “Of course it is. You’ve almost done this to yourself on multiple occasions. Luckily, a magical field eventually replenishes itself over time, otherwise you would have killed yourself several times over by now.” She tilted her head to the side, though, obviously confused at the turn of the conversation. “But… I do not see what that has to do with the matter at hoof.”

I felt both emboldened and terrified at that. Emboldened because it was another fact in favor of my growing hypothesis, and terrified that I had been so close to death by accident so many times. I took a couple of deep breaths to calm myself before continuing. “Yes… well, good to know. Anyway, I was kind of wondering about that; about the limits of magic, and how far someone could push it. Especially if what Titania said about Discord was true.”

Luna nodded in understanding. “Magic can be unpredictable and dangerous at times, but the only real limits to what it can accomplish is the power available, the field of the wielder, and the imagination and knowledge of the wielder. However, just because someone can do something with magic, doesn’t mean that they should. There can be any number of unfortunate side effects from even the smallest change, since our universe and the forces that hold it together are very closely knit.” Her face suddenly became incredibly serious. "And as for Discord, I can personally attest that everything Titania has said about that monster is true and more. The draconequus could bend the very fabric of reality to his whims, and he is not a subject that I or my sister take lightly.”

I waved her off at that. “Yeah I… wasn't doubting, just confirming. And I wasn't intending to toy with this stuff until I knew more anyway; that’s not where I was going with this.”

She looked even more confused by this. “Could you please elaborate, then? You said earlier that you had an idea as to why the Prometheans came to our world.”

I nodded, then looked down towards the void below us. Almost as if in response to my thoughts, though on retrospect that was probably exactly what it was, the scenery changed to show us a beautiful green meadow. “Yeah, and it all rests on who the Greeks believed Gaea to be.”

Luna looked around at the changed landscape, obviously intrigued. “Tell me, who was this Gaea to them, then?”

“You must understand, my people weren’t always in the habit of figuring out how things worked. We would often make up gods and goddesses for every natural disaster or phenomenon, and the Grecian people were no different. They had gods for the lightning, gods for the wind, gods for fire. They had gods for concepts, such as justice, or mercy.” I crouched down at that, reached out with my hand, and pulled out a handful of grass. It looked so real that I even pulled a bit of dirt up with it. “None of those are that important at the moment, though they might be if my theory holds any water.”

“I take it that Gaea was one of these gods, then?” Luna asked. “The way they worshiped sounds similar to how the Diamond Dogs view divinity.”

“Well, I don’t know what a Diamond Dog is, but you’re right. She was a god that the ancient Greeks worshiped. And the Greek civilization was so influential to our modern culture that many of my people still use her name when referring to the thing that she was said to embody.” I stood up, brushed the imaginary dirt off my imaginary pants, then stomped on the imaginary ground to drive home my point. “Gaea was the Grecian name for Mother Earth.”

Luna eyes widened as all the puzzle pieces fell into place for her. “Then… you mean to imply that Discord stole your world’s magic… because he was exhausting Equis’s?”

I shrugged, shook my head, and sighed. “It's just a theory, but it fits the information we currently have.” I thought about all of this for a bit, then let out a short laugh at how little we truly knew; even though I was standing in front of someone who was old enough to have stopped the person we were talking about, she knew just about as much as I did about any of this. “It’s not like there’s anyone left alive who knew the whole truth…”

Luna suddenly looked incredibly thoughtful. “Do you remember what Titania said about the stallion who stole the portal to your world?”

I nodded. It was kind of hard to forget.

“Well, that stallion was a friend of mine and my sister. Our mentor, in fact. He left a record that he wrote in code, which no one has been able to crack for a thousand years, and it is possible that the answers we seek lie within.”

This sparked my interest. “What makes you say that?”

Luna’s horn glowed briefly, and a grey pony that was nearly identical to the one that Titania showed appeared between us. There were a few differences, of course, though most of them seemed to be in the pony''s clothing, specifically the bells, their placement, and their number. “Starswirl the Bearded had made it his life's work to overthrow Discord. He was unable to do it himself, but he set me and my sister on the path. When you awake, I would have you look at his last record. Perhaps you may glean some answers from it.”

I laughed heartily at this. “Lady, thanks for the vote of confidence, but I highly doubt that. I just barely started being able to speak your language, much less read it.”

“All I ask is that you try. You may be surprised at what you find within…” she said mysteriously as she began to fade from view. “For now, however, I must leave you. There is much I need to attend to, and I also need to share what I have learned with my sister. On top of all of this, you seem to be waking rather earlier than expected. I hope to continue this conversation soon.”

I smiled and waved, and opened my eyes to find that I was waving to the ceiling of my room.

Surprisingly, I felt like I had gotten very little, if any rest the whole time I had been out. My throat was absolutely parched, though, which was probably why I had woken up at all. When I got up to get myself some water, I was somewhat hampered by the bandages that covered my left arm and shoulder that I could not for the life of me remember getting. Before I was able to fully examine this minor mystery, though, an urgent need in my lower body made the bandages a moot point at best.

Once I had taken care of my needs, I settled back into bed, being careful not to lay on my left side. I was asleep before my head had even hit the pillow.

* * *

Captain Kalizar of the ship The Hidden Pursuit was not in a good mood. While the scientists under her command had assured her that the latest changes to the test subjects would keep them under their thrall, she couldn't really put that claim to the test. Both Quzin and Krin space were on high alert for any suspicious activity, and the blasted Quzin had the foresight to alert all of their allies of The Emperor’s recent activities. Attempting to find a suitable location to test the new units was nearly suicide in and of itself.

As she went through the new list of possible testing locations, her bad mood only seemed to intensify. So much so, that she nearly broke the touchpad on her desk when the intercom rang for her attention. “This better be important, Lieutenant.”

“Ma’am, we’ve received an encoded message from Emperor Histali. It’s marked as priority one.”

She gave out a weary sigh. She did not question the emperor’s rule, but sometimes his demand for perfection really set her on edge. “Thank you, Lieutenant. Send it to my personal terminal.”

It took her computer a few minutes to load and decode the video message, during which she took the time to have a nice, soothing cup of shara tea. Once she felt her nerves were calmed, she pressed the play button, ready to hear the emperor’s will.

“Greetings, Captain, I hope this finds you in good health. I would like to start by saying I am extremely pleased with the work you are doing. Your latest report about the new batch of test subjects is extremely promising.”

Captain Kalizar felt her confidence pick up from that; it wasn’t often that the emperor gave out praise. What he said next, though, completely deflated her. “That being said, I have new orders for you. Stop all attempts to find a place to test the new subjects and rejoin the fleet at Carathos.”

Kalizar let out a groan of frustration when she heard that. We just got these, and the project is already scrapped!?

The emperor was only a recording, though, and therefore unable to respond to her displeasure or her thoughts. Instead, he pressed a few things on his desk, and a diagram of the world that The Destiny Ascension had crashed on appeared to his right. “After reviewing all the data that Ilisk sent to you, we have decided that the world that the original project crash-landed on has shown far more promise in helping us achieve our goals. Word has it that The Aurora will arrive at the planet within the week, while most of the Holy Armada is moving towards the human homeworld to secure it from further incursion. We have no word of any further reinforcements being sent by the Quzin to this world, which is an opportunity that we cannot let pass. Known tactical data and a battle plan drawn up by my best admirals are both attached to this video; take time to study both as you travel to meet the fleet. As for your project, keep the subjects on ice. We still do not know if they will go rogue like the original project did, and we cannot take that chance during this engagement.”

That makes sense. And from what I remember from Ilisk’s report, The Bastion was heavily damaged, and there is only one Quzin exploratory vessel orbiting the planet, Captain Kalizar thought as she rubbed her mandibles. The new fleet shouldn’t have any problems flying in and taking what we want.

The more she thought about it, the more the coming offensive appealed to her. She had seen the data that Ilisk had sent, and she knew full well that that planet held creatures that had the same tech that those snake-witches possessed. As she studied the battle plan, her role in it, and listened to the rest of the emperor’s orders, she couldn’t stop her antenna from wiggling in excitement.

This had all the promise of bringing back the glory of the old empire.

“Lieutenant! Set a course for Carathos,” she said, pressing the shipwide intercom button on her touchpad. “All hands, this is the captain. Prepare yourselves for the glory of battle. The emperor calls us to war!”

Though her door was shut, she still could hear the distant echoes of her crew shouting throughout the ship, all calling for the glory of battle and the blood of their enemies.

Our moment has finally come… she thought as she went back to reviewing her orders; she had a lot of work to do to ensure victory for the empire.

If the Battlewatcher willed it, they were finally going to gain the edge they needed to win this long, bloody war with the Quzin.

Author's Note:

Hey, guys! Not dead, just busy. Been packing and getting ready to move to Washington (state) soon. Between that, my job, and my wife''s pregnancy, I've had very little time to write. Still found enough time to hammer this out, though, and things look like they'll be calming down soon, so hopefully I'll be able to get you guys some more chapters soon.

Cheers!