• Published 18th Apr 2016
  • 2,911 Views, 94 Comments

A Tale of Tails, Sunsets and Burned Bridges - Ozone31



16 Years prior to the events of EG, a peaceful night in Canterlot is interrupted by the arrival of the Nine Tailed Fox. Where did he come from? Why can't he remember anything? And what's in store for him and his Jinchuuriki, Sunset Shimmer?

  • ...
3
 94
 2,911

Trust Between Outcasts

(Kurama's POV)

I knew that Sunset wouldn't take what I'd just asked her to do too well, but she was doing better than I'd expected. We stared at each other for a long time, never once breaking eye contact. Her look was easy to pin, uncertain, afraid and angry. Her arms suddenly unfolded themselves and she jabbed a finger at me, pointing directly at my chest.

"Okay Fox, but under one condition" She grinned as she spoke, a new found confidence shining in her eyes.

"Name it" I said without hesitation, despite the fact that I couldn't count on my fingers and toes the amount of times that kind of attitude had almost ended me up at the bottom of a ravine or something similar.

"You've always known my name, but I've never had the pleasure of learning yours." She almost shouted, not afraid to take a rather self-confident tone. "If we're going to work together I have to be able to trust you. So, what is your name?!"

A tad over-the-top but okay I thought to myself with a smile.

"My name, IS KURAMA!"

"That's all I needed to know!" Sunset yelled as she made a, rather impressive, jump to where the sealing paper was on the gate. With a firm yank she pulled it from the gate, revealing the lock beneath. As soon as she caught sight of the lock, Sunset looked at me and shouted "What now?!"

I was about to shrug and reply 'I don't know' when:

"I'll handle that"


"Oh please, what exactly do you think you're going to do to stop me? I have magic and you have nothing!" A blood red demon, with glowing cyan eyes, glowered down at the pony princess turned human.

"She has us!" A certain cyan blue, rainbow haired girl exclaimed, coming to the lavender girl's side.

I took notice of this, as I'd been watching ever since I'd felt the massive boost in magic flowing through Sunset's body. Now her body was that of a mad she-demon with hair like fire, burned red skin with a yellow, black and red dress covering it and black boots that looked like they were a part of her body. A massive pair of evil looking wings topped off the whole ensemble.

"Looks like we're out of time Sunset" I growled as I felt both the demon and the group in front of her gathering power, the latter unknowingly.

"So what's the plan?" Sunset asked as she turned away from what she was testing, one final time, to face me.

"That group of girls, they are this world's counterparts for Equestria's element bearers, right?" I asked already knowing the answer, as I was now watching them undergo some form of transformation.

"Yeah..."

"They are about to unleash an attack that will attempt to remove the dark magic from you. When they do the energy from that spell will come in here, all you have to do is grab it."

"Really?" Sunset asked sceptically

"We'd better bloody hope so, or all this training will have been for nothing" She was now making me doubt my own plan and gut instinct.

Sunset was about to respond, when a blinding light filled the cellar glowing all the colours of the rainbow.

"That's it!" I yelled. "Grab it!"

Sunset made her second impressive leap of the past three days, grabbing firmly onto the powerful light before us.

"Let's Go, KURAMA!"

"RIGHT!"


(Third Person POV)

The light of the elements faded, leaving only a smoke cloud in its place. The new Elements of Harmony bearers stood, coughing to clear the dust and smoke from their throats. Rainbow Dash was the first to recover and spotted a figure standing in the clearing smoke, arms folded with its back to them, although it was no mystery as to who it was.

"Sunset Shimmer!" The cyan coloured girl yelled, pointing her out to the other girls, who quickly became confused as she was wearing a completely different attire to what she'd been wearing before she'd transformed. Now she wore a pair of black jeans over a pair of trainers of the same colour. She still had her leather jacket on but under it she wore a short cyan coloured dress. Around her head she wore a headband with (unbeknownst to them) the Japanese symbol for Nine and on her leg was a pouch full of who-knows-what. Her eyes were now a brilliant, emerald green and possessed slitted pupils.

"Did y'all come back fo' round two?" Applejack shouted, bringing out her lasso. Her deep southern accent almost made Kurama burst out laughing

+Shut up+ Sunset sent to her new partner, before turning her head slightly to look at the group.

"In a way, yes. But I'm not here to fight you." Sunset replied coolly

"Then who are you here to fight?" Twilight Sparkle asked putting on her own defensive act.

Sunset was about to respond, when a chilling laugh cut her off. It echoed through the air, almost as if it was two people laughing, just ever so slightly out of sync.

"She's here to fight ME!" Sundown screeched, as she used a wave of chakra to blow away the smoke. She looked exactly like Sunset had before the demon transformation, except her all of her colours were now a shade or two darker and her irises were a haunting red colour with slitted pupils and black sclera. A mad grin was spread from ear to ear and was a stark contrast to Sunset's blank scowl.

"Yes. I. AM" She growled, clenching her fists. "And without that crown, it'll be easy."

"Oh no, I don't have the power of the crown" Sundown said in mock sadness, which quickly gave way to another grin as dark red chakra began to flow from her. "Oh well" Then the very air shook, as she let off a burst of power the red chakra consuming her form in a thin cloak.

"I don't get it!" Twilight exlaimed "We removed the dark magic from her!"

"That's not magic." Sunset said grimly, as crossing the index and middle fingers of each hand over each other, right laterally and left vertically. "Shadow Clone Justu!"

The six other girls almost jumped out of their skin as two more Sunsets appeared.

"Impressive" Sundown sneered. "But some measly shadow clones won't be enough to beat me." She leapt across the crater, created by the elements, and straight towards the group. One of the two clones moved to intercept, delivering a bone-breaking kick to the base of Sundown's jaw. The elements cringed at the resounding crunch, but Sundown only laughed unaffected by the attack.

"Is that it?!" She asked, punching the clone square in the face and causing it to 'poof' out of existence. "Pathetic"

"Don't worry" Sunset smiled as she appeared in front of Sundown, a magnificent, glowing, blue ball of highly rotating chakra in her right hand. She firmly took a hold of her enemy's shoulder with her left and said: "There's a lot more where that came from, have a nice Flight!"

"RASENGAN!!"

Sunset slammed the spiralling sphere right into Sundown's gut, the high speed rotation and energy quickly eating through the chakra cloak, through her shirt and into her abdomen. There it remained for a second or two, before its form was released and Sundown was sent spinning away in a flurry of rotating force.

The Jutsu's wielder was catapulted backwards by the shear force of the attack, but she found herself caught by Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash. Once they were on the ground, Sunset gave them a look of confusion to which Rainbow responded:

"Don't give me a look like that, you're clearly not the bad guy here."

"And I wouldn't be a very good Element of Kindness if I just let someone fall and get hurt." The shy girl followed up her friend's statement, with a caring smile.

"But you could return the favour by kicking her butt." Rainbow Dash smirked confidently, to which all the others gave a nod of agreement. Sunset smiled at them until Kurama and her clone yelled:

+Look Out!+

"Look out!"

But their warning was unnecessary, as Sundown jumped from the wall she'd crashed through and into the air. She hovered there for a second before screaming:

"YOU WANT TO GET SERIOUS?! FINE, LET'S GET SERIOUS!"

But Kurama was prepared, letting his chakra loose.

+NOW SUNSET!+

Sunset pushed Rainbow and Fluttershy away and her shadow clone stood guard in front of them all. Sure they were at a safe-ish distance, she ignited her body. She became covered in burning yellow chakra as it began to change her form: Her coat changed into a sleeved cloak, reaching down to her ankles. Her entire body became covered in black lines, forming spiral shapes on her back, shoulders, stomach and the backs of her hands. Three black whisker marks appeared on each of her cheeks and her hair began to flow in the air, waving like dancing flames. Her Link Mode with Kurama was fully active, but her transformation wasn't complete yet.

Kyuubi emerged from the spreading smoke, high in the air he eclipsed the light of the moon and stars with his mountain-sized form. He was formed completely from, convulsing, dark red and black chakra, with a pair of glowing white eyes, staring out from above a jagged white crack that was his mouth. It was a horrifying sight and it was getting closer and closer to the ground, preparing to crush the town with a body slam, with Sundown laughing maniacally from the top of his head.

"We're all gonna die!!" Pinkie Pie cried dramatically, pulling all of her friends (including Sunset's clone) close to her.

"Oh No You're Not!" A deep voice roared from the smoke and before anybody knew what was happening, a massive, burning yellow fist and arm burst from the smoke cloud, cannoning into Kyuubi's muzzle, with a crunch similar to that which had resounded around Canterlot all those years ago.

The rest of Kurama's body, formed of bright yellow a chakra with the same black line patterns as Sunset, came after his arm. He bent his arm as he travelled into the air, keeping Kyuubi's body still, allowing Sunset to jump out of his glowing form and punch Sundown in the face, knocking her off the demon beast's head. Before jumping off herself, she turned her head and looked at Kurama.

"Kick. His. Ass."

"Gladly"

Once Sunset was off Kyuubi's head, Kurama brought his arm back a bit further and then threw it forward again in an uppercut that tossed his foe even further into the air. After reaching about 5,000 feet, Kyuubi fell back to earth, in the massive valley behind the town, with a crash that could be felt multiple miles away. But it didn't end there as Kurama soon fell from the sky and came down with a greater impact than Kyuubi's landing.

Sunset looked at the dust cloud as it rose from over the mountains, in the direction of the valley.

"So much for 'Valley of Peace'" She mocked the name with a light chuckle before turning her attention to Sundown, who was on top of the roof of the School's western wing.

"I. Will. Kill. YOU!" Sundown screamed the cloak around her body was just like that of Kyuubi's.

"Then come and get me" Sunset smirked as she and her dark half leapt at each other, Rasengan in hand.

"RASENGAN!!"

"DIE!!"

Author's Note:

Next time: All out Nine Tailed WAR.

MLP:FIM is owned by Hasbro
Naruto is owned by Kishimoto