• Published 17th Apr 2016
  • 2,630 Views, 47 Comments

Letters From a Princess to a Dragon Lord - NotanImportantPony



Twilight and Spike send and receive letters from Ember, the Dragon Lord.

  • ...
7
 47
 2,630

Chapter 8

Silence. Silence was nice, especially the peaceful, thoughtful silences.

'Sip... Sip...'

But this was not one of those silences. Instead it was one of those silences where everyone else wanted someone else to speak first.

'Sip... Sip...'

Fortunately, there was someone who wanted to speak. Enter Spike the brave and glorious, number one assistant to Princess Twilight Sparkle.

"So..." Twilight and Ember's eyes locked onto Spike. He quailed beneath their gaze but timidly continued speaking.

"So... Ember," Spike gestured emphatically. "What's been happening in the Dragonlands?"

Ember gazed flatly at Spike over the rim of her third teacup and mumbled into it. Spike and Twilight leaned forward eagerly awaiting for Ember to continue. Setting down her third teacup atop her second saucer Ember leaned back on her little camping stool and began to speak.

"Well let's see, I get these dragons coming into open court every day with some of the most ridiculous things. Some want power, some want land. Others want conflict. And I am stuck in the middle of everything trying to keep everydragon in line. Do you know how hard it is to get everything done when you are treated like a hatchling by every other dragon? It's impossible!

"Not to mention my father! He is helpful don't get me wrong but when I asked him about some of your questions he wasn't any help. He just distracts me or he pretends like he's sleeping. It's infuriating!"

At the end of her rant, Ember found herself blinded by smoke pouring out of her nostrils. Embarrassed, she blew the smoke away with a flap of her wings revealing an awestruck Spike and a studious Twilight. Blinking to make sure she was not hallucinating, Ember was greeted by the same sight. Spike was leaning on the table with stars in his eyes and Twilight had her head buried in notes.

"Really? Really you two?"

Hearing Ember speak broke Spike and Twilight’s trances. The stars disappeared from Spike’s eyes as he shook his head.

"Whoa Ember that was so cool do you know when I'll be able to do that?"

"Practice."

Spike looked at her with determination in his eyes.

"Right, practice."

Spike walked out of the throne room sending off a wave to Ember as he did so.

"I'll be back soon, I'm not allowed to burn stuff in the throne room. I'll be back when I can do that neat smoke trick."

The doors closed, leaving Twilight and Ember staring after Spike. Ember glanced at four lights notes. Twilight looked at Ember.

"So... Ember, do you have time to answer a couple of questions?" Twilight asked as she held up a quill and parchment.

"Yeah."

Twilight's face gave off a nice rosy glow as she smiled, "Great!" She sidled closer to Ember placing her muzzle next to one of Ember's ears, then whispered in an embarrassed tone,

"So... how do I take care of a Spike during his pubescent cycle?"

Silence.

Ember's mouth opened and closed several times but no sound came out. Twilight prodded her some more.

"Well?"

Ember let her head fall to the table in exasperation.

"Why. Why did you have to start with that one?"

Twilight huffed and ruffled her wings.

"Well, you see Spike is like a little brother to me. I want him to be safe and happy."

Sighing, Ember said the first thing that came to mind.

"You don't have experience with pubescent dragons. I do. When he starts his cycle tell me and I'll take care of it. I'll even have a Chronicler present to record everything for you, okay?"

Twilight frowned, "Why couldn't I-"

"- How did you become a Princess?" Ember hurriedly asked.

The question died on Twilight's lips as she thought about Ember's obvious deflection.

"Ember, I am sorry if I was prying. But, umm… Right, I became a Princess when I completed Starswirl the Bearded's greatest unfinished spell-" as Twilight went on and on about her magical mystery cure Ember's attention waned. Eventually Ember's gaze locked onto a mark of four diamonds. They were oddly familiar. She pondered their meaning.

Twilight stopped speaking as she noticed Ember's unfocused eyes. Looking to where Ember was staring, Twilight saw that Ember's eyes were locked on Rarity's throne, specifically Ember's eyes were locked onto Rarity's Cutie Mark.

"Hey Ember."

Ember shook her head and turned to Twilight.

"Yeah?"

"Why are you staring at Rarity's Cutie Mark?"

Huffing, Ember stood up and gestured to multiple spots on her body. They all shared the same pattern as Rarity's Cutie Mark.

"Well Twilight, I just noticed that your friend Rarity has the same Cutie Mark as some of my scale patterns. I just thought that it was interesting is all."

"Oh," Twilight got up out of her seat to take a closer look "You're right!"

Twilight sat down on the crystal floor with her right half resting under her chin as she pondered the coincidence presented to her. Much to Amber's chagrin twilight began her attempt to unravel the supposedly relation between member and rarity.

"Twilight."

"-Could be destiny? Nah-"

"-Twilight."

"-Magical interspecies harmony? Maybe-"

Shaking her head, Ember took her scepter and tapped it in front of Twilight breaking her pensive stance.

"Bwah!" Twilight’s wings flared pushing her onto her back.

Ember leaned on her scepter looking down at Twilight as her legs kicked futilely in the air.

"Twilight, I was born this way."

Twilight's legs stopped kicking.

"Oh."

"Yeah, that makes a bit more sense then what ever it was that you were rambling about."

"You're right," Twilight's left leg involuntarily kicked out. "Oh, Ember-whoa!"

Twilight suddenly found herself being pulled upright by Ember. When she was upright Twilight found herself facing Ember.

"Thanks Ember."

Ember smiled and pat Twilight on her back.

"No problem Princess."

Twilight’s smile wavered. "Ember-"

Whatever Twilight was about to say was interrupted when the throne room doors were slammed open and the rest of the Mane six ran or flew in.

"Twilight!" They cried, barreling into her.

"Oh Twilight dear," Cried Rarity. "We are so sorry that we couldn't get here sooner. We had to help Fluttershy calm down her animals. Right Shy?"

As one the pony pile turned to the trembling form of Fluttershy. Rarity was the first one to notice that something was off. Extracting herself from the pile, Rarity trotted over to her friend.

"Fluttershy dear you okay?"

"D-D-DR-"

"-What was deary, I couldn't hear you."

Fluttershy closed her eyes and took a deep stammering breath then cried out in the loudest voice she could muster,

"DRAGON!"

Author's Note:

First off, this story is not dead. However; I am making some changes to this fic. For more info see this blog.