• Published 16th Apr 2016
  • 10,985 Views, 601 Comments

Hc Svnt Equus Pinnis - Masterweaver



Torn from the world she knew, Fluttershy must navigate a space-faring society and find a way home...

  • ...
24
 601
 10,985

Cvm Vetvs Amicita Capit

Fluttershy took a long, slow breath, looking around the spa room. Not another pony was moving--not even Lotus and her staff. They were all staring at her, wide-eyed.

"...I... think that's enough for today," she finally managed.

"What?" Rainbow Dash slid off her table. "You just told us part of your ear was torn off when you were taken hostage, and--"

"I've been dumping a lot on you, without much context. And it's not all... it's not all going to be nice." She stepped off her own spa table. "Besides, I need to check in on my animal friends, and... and I have so many questions for you as well, I have so much to catch up on--have you make it onto the Wonderbolts roster yet? What was the CMC's last crusade like? Did I miss any world-threatening adventures? And what about Discord, and my family, and--"

"Alright!" Rainbow held up a hoof. "Alright, alright, I get it. You've got a point..." She sighed. "I just... I want to know all of what happened to you, how you got like that, and--and I want to know you're okay."

"...I will be, Dash. I promise." Fluttershy smiled, taking her bandoleer and turning to Lotus. "Thank you for... allowing all this. I know that it must have been a little off-putting--"

"Non, Fluttershy, zis is ze place ponies come to rejuvenate, and you seem to have needed zat quite a bit." Lotus hesitated for a brief moment, before wrapping a foreleg around her. "It is good to see you again, zough."

"Heh." Fluttershy wrapped her own foreleg around the spa pony. "I think me and Rarity will be starting up our weekly spa dates... not next week, maybe the week after."

"I shall look forward to it."

Twilight cleared her throat. "So... we start this up again tommorrow, at the castle?"

"OOOOOO!" Pinkie hopped up eagerly. "I haven't even thrown you a welcome-back-from-another-world party! I'm going to need to invite everyone--the cusaders, the ponytones, the princesses, your family if I can get their address--"

Rainbow winced. "Yeah, um. I never actually told Flutter's parents she was missing so--"

Fluttershy broke from her hug and gave the other pegasus a flat look. "You kept my family out of the loop?"

"...H-Hey! So! You know that sisterhooves social me and Scoots went to? You'll never guess who Apple Bloom convinced to be her own partner--"

"Rainbow. Dash."

"BIG MAC WORE A DRESS!"

Fluttershy blinked.

"...Big Mac... wore a dress?"

"...Y-Yeah! Called himself cousin Orchid Blossom. I mean, nobody bought it for a second, but he was really fun to watch." Rainbow grinned broadly. "How 'bout I tell you all about it on the way back to the cottage?"

Fluttershy looked at her for a moment. "...Yeah, sure. You can catch me up on everything I missed, and tomorrow I can tell you more about my time on Mars." She gave her a pointed look. "And I expect to see my family at that party, Dash. Zephyr included."

"...Unngh. Fine." Rainbow Dash groaned. "I'll tell 'em you vanished and you're back after I drop you off."

"Thanks, Rainbow. Oh, how's Scootaloo doing, by the way?"

"Heh. Shy, you'll never guess what happened..."

The other ponies watched them trot out of the room, talking amicably between themselves. Finally, Applejack cleared her throat. "Well, Ah think we can all agree... Shy's been through a lot."

"And we don't know the half of it," Rarity pointed out. "She said her leg was torn off by pirates, and her wings..." Her face paled beyond its usual ivory coloration, before she shook herself. "My... my point is, we... might not be entirely equipped to handle the situation. That sort of trauma isn't anything any of us have gone through."

Pinkie Pie's mane went limp with an odd squeak. "Yeah. My usual method might not be best here. Heck, some of my unusual methods might not be good here. I'll need to talk with some ponies."

Twilight sighed, putting down her notepad. "...I'll alert the princesses of Fluttershy's return and condition, but I don't know how long it will take them to find appropriate help. Maybe get some doctors from the hospital to look her over after the party... for the moment, though, the best we can do is be patient and gentle."

Applejack nodded slowly. "Yeah... Ah reckon you're right. Still... wish Ah could do more."


"...and right then, she pulled out a musical triangle, and Applejack went and hit it. I mean--it was a little thing, but it clearly meant so much to the both of them."

Fluttershy smiled. "I can imagine.... our Applejack, childhood friends with the Coloratura?"

"Yeah, it amazed me too. You think you know a pony." Rainbow Dash shrugged. "She's actually super nice in person. Really cares about the foals, and... once we got that manager away from her, she apologized for all that he put Pinkie through."

"That's good..."

Rainbow continued walking for a few moments before realizing that the yellow pony was no longer beside her. She glanced back, seeing the other mare standing on the dusty road. "...Shy?"

"...I've missed so much. The Crusaders finally getting their cutie marks, Shining and Cadence announcing their pregnancy..." Fluttershy looked up. "I mean, I'm half-expecting you to tell me that Rarity found a prince to marry or something."

"No, not yet. You know how it is in Ponyville, Shy... crazy stuff happens all the time."

"I know, but..." Fluttershy kicked the ground with her hoof. "I'm just... I'm just wondering if I'll be able to fit back in if--"

"Hey." Rainbow walked back, putting a hoof on her shoulder. "It'll be weird, sure, but you know what? We're going to work through it. All of us. Together. I promise, in a few weeks, it'll be like you never left."

Fluttershy half smiled. "You sure about that?"

"Abso-posi-lutely. Look at what happened with me and Tank after he was done hibernating--after a few days we were back in our old routine, and everything was good again."

"You practically used him as a second pillow for three weeks straight."

"Wha--!" Rainbow sputtered, backing off. "No I didn't! Who told you that?!"

Fluttershy's expression grew sly. "I can talk to animals, remember?"

"...okay, fine. So I cuddled the guy a few nights." Rainbow narrowed her eyes. "You can't ever tell anypony, got it?"

"Yes, yes, your tough-mare reputation is safe with me, I promise." Fluttershy rolled her eyes. "I guess some things never change."

"Nope. I'm awesome, you're good with animals, and we're fillyhood friends."

"Hmm." Fluttershy paused. "Hey Dash?"

"Yeah?"

"I've never really considered this before but, um..." she gestured at herself. "As a friend, seeing all... this, do you think I'm dateable?"

Rainbow blinked. "Er... what?"

"I'm not asking you to date me," Fluttershy clarified. "I'm asking if you think anypony would date me, seeing as I'm missing a leg and--"

"Oh! Um. Well, sure!" The blue pony chuckled awkwardly. "The leg's actually pretty cool looking, and it's not nearly as bad as the eye--"

She cut herself off at Fluttershy's raising eyebrow.

"--I, I mean, the eye looks awesome too, very techy, but the scars are--uh, that is, any pony that wanted to date you would probably be the kind that, uh, didn't want to upset you--because they respected you! Not because they were afraid of you, I mean--Oh, geeze--"

Rainbow Dash noticed the corners of Fluttershy's lips twitching. "...Wait. Are you... are you messing with me?"

"Maaaaaaaybe," Fluttershy replied, trotting down the road.

"Huh." Rainbow followed after her. "You know, you never did that before. I mean, maybe you got a little snarky at times, but I never took you as one to pull a prank."

Fluttershy paused. "...Huh. You know... I think you're right."

"It's not a bad thing," Rainbow assured her. "It's... different, though."

"Yeah. I guess it is."

The two of them trotted on in silence.

"...you still a virgin?"

Fluttershy gave an exasperated sigh. "Yes, Dash, I'm still a virgin."

"Oh good. Cause I thought, with that dating joke and all, you might have--"

"Yeah, no. Aside from physiological incompatibility, the way Vector culture approaches sex and romance is just too blatant for my tastes. And really, do you want me to tell you my first time was with an alien shark?"

Rainbow Dash made a face. "Good point. Er. I mean, if you two loved each other I'd be totally cool with it but I'd also be weirded out." She paused. "Actually, you being so open about it is kind of weirding me out."

"The whole shy thing kinda dropped after the fifth time I was ambushed. It helps to be able to call for help, you know?"

"...I guess. Um." Rainbow rubbed the back of her head. "I just... your name is Fluttershy, you know? Outside your family you've always had issues being... casual."

Fluttershy was quiet for a moment or two.

"...am I really that different? Did I really change that much?"

"...I don't know, Flutters. But... you know, I'm not sure I care." Rainbow smirked. "Far as I'm concerned, you're my friend, no matter how much you've changed. I just have to get used to the new you, is all."

"Well... I'm happy you're willing to try." Fluttershy smiled at her gently. "Really. And it is... good to be back."

Rainbow nodded. "Yeah. Well!" She coughed, pointing behind the other pony. "There's your cottage. You... probably have animals to check on and calm down and... they're going to mob you and give you animal hugs or whatever."

"They might," Fluttershy allowed. "And you have to go to Cloudsdale to get my family ready for their first ever Pinkie Pie party."

"...You're holding me to that."

"You're the one that kept them out of the loop. You should be the one to tell them." The yellow pony smirked slyly. "And I'm sure my little brother will be so happy I came back that he'll give you a nice. Big. Hug."

She turned around, humming happily as she trotted into her home, leaving Rainbow staring after her.

After a moment, the pegasus sighed. "I guess a prank-pulling Fluttershy isn't the weirdest thing I've ever seen..."


"Mmmmrngh." A yellow ear twitched as the pony under the blanket rolled onto her stomach. "Grmph. Alright, I'm up, I'm up, no need to shout."

Fluttershy yawned wide, stretching her four legs out before grumbling and kicking the blanket off her body. She took a moment to look around her room--her room, one she hadn't seen in so long... and a faint smile formed on her lips.

Her head tilted for a moment.

"...We check on the nocturnal animals first. Should be just getting to bed right now." Her hooves hit the floor, almost automatically heading for the door. "Then breakfast, take a shower, then we look over the little animals waking up."

She rolled her eyes as she trotted down the stairs.

A few owls were fluttering onto their roosts, quietly hooting as they took their positions. Fluttershy glanced at them--looked closer. "Hello, friends. It's... been a while. How have you handled things?"

One or two looked at her, hooting curiously.

She took a glance at the pair of rods on her back. "...Somebody stole my wings, and somebody else made me replacements." She sighed. "The same thing happened with my leg, actually... I'm sure that Angel will tell you about it, I'll take him along to the castle so he can listen in while I tell my friends that story."

The owls seemed to be satisfied by that. One by one, they coughed their pellets into the shared bowel Fluttershy had made for them, before nestling into the nooks and crannies of the cottage. A few raccoons, a large number of mice, and one particularly curmudgeonly badger skittered across the floor, taking roost in their own hidden places. Many of them looked at her, a few sending chitters and welcomes back, but despite their curious stares they kept their questions to themselves.

It was a courtesy that both pleased and saddened her.

With a sigh, Fluttershy trotted into her kitchen, opening a pantry and pulling out a small tube of oats. A faint smile hit her face as she poured them into a bowl, moving it over to her table and taking a deep breath. "Genuine Equestrian oats. It's the little things, isn't it?"

Her ear flicked again.

She gave a small snort. "I'll get back to more complex cooking after I've settled in. Quick meal, for the moment." Her muzzle bent down, and with almost bestial efficiency the bowl was soon emptied. The pegasus nodded, moving the bowl to the sink, before trotting back up the stairs and entering the bathroom. "Hmm. Ceiling is different..."

Her hoof went to the faucet, twisting it on--

Fluttershy sagged. "Is now really the time?"

The hot water splattered against her back as she stepped into the stall, closing the door behind her.

"Look, I know you're getting antsy," she groused as she grabbed the bar of soap, "but you knew going in--"

Her ear twitched as she started up a froth on her forelegs.

"It doesn't change anything. I just need to speed up the plan a bit."

The rods on Fluttershy's back snapped up and she started scrubbing her withers.

"Then recalculate the parameters. I shouldn't have to spell this out."

She lathered up some suds on her back, pushing them across her coat.

"I'll talk to Twilight about it today, I promise."

Her hooves moved to her scarred haunches, slathering them with soap.

"That's an easy enough fix, I'll leave a note."

Reaching into the kit strapped to her thigh, Fluttershy pulled out an odd device, switched it on, and ran it along her mechanical leg.

"Oh don't worry, I can handle Discord."

The rods on her back snapped flat, and she moved the device along each of them before putting it back in its place.

"...no, not yet. I don't think they're ready for it. But... maybe tomorrow. Maybe."

Grabbing the shampoo bottle, the pegasus squirted its contents into her mane and tail.

"It'll all work out, okay? Trust me. I know what I'm doing."

Her pink locks, drenched in soap and water, glistened as she stepped out and reached for a towel.

"And take notes, will you? Because today you're going to see how ponies really welcome guests."


"...so we absolutely must not draw attention to her leg, or her wings, unless she herself points them out."

"Ah know, Rares, Ah ain't a fool."

"And we don't make any sudden motions or startling noises. That could trigger some sort of reaction, the book said."

"Yep, Ah could see that happening."

"And above all else, we treat her like a pony. We make sure she knows she's home, and she's safe--"

An orange hoof covered a white muzzle. "Look. Let me sum this up fer ya. Fluttershy's jumpy and unsure. So we be calm and friendly. That about cover it?"

Rarity rolled her eyes, moving the hoof down. "Yes, in essence, but you must understand--"

"Ah get it, really. It takes time ta recover, and it ain't going ta go away completely forever. Ya don't have ta overcomplicate things, Rares."

The unicorn sighed. "I suppose I am letting my perfectionist tendencies override my common sense just a tad..."

"Yeah, you do tend to get intensely focused on things that are important to ya." Applejack smiled. "Won't begrudge ya that."

"Oh, hello!" Fluttershy waved as she walked down the road. "Good to see you two! Let me guess, you're my escort to the castle?"

Applejack blinked. "Er, yeah. We kinda thought we'd need ta pick you up from the cottage, so--"

"Well, thank you for your concern. Really, though, I'm..." Fluttershy considered. "Hmm. Let's call it eighty-five percent fine?"

Rarity winced. "So that's fifteen percent not fine?"

"Six percent worried about how ponies will react to my appearance, five percent traumatized by horrific experiences, and four percent excited to finally be home."

Applejack quirked an eyebrow as the three of them started walking. "Only four percent?"

"It still hasn't quite sunk in," Fluttershy admitted. "It's an abrupt change--one I've been working toward for more then a year, but even with that I... I keep saying 'I'm home' and it feels like it's not complete. Like, there's something missing."

"Well, I don't know if a Pinkie Pie party will solve that," Rarity mused, "but it certainly couldn't hurt!"

"Oh, I'm looking forward to it, really. But... how have you two been, anyway? Rainbow tells me the Crusaders finally got their marks?"

Applejack smiled fondly. "Yep. All at tha same time, can ya believe it?"

"I have to say, that was quite the day," Rarity agreed. "Everyone in Ponyville was celebrating their cutecenara. Even little Diamond, she... well. She turned over a new leaf, and she's stuck with it."

"Oh, wow." Fluttershy's eyes widened. "I mean Rainbow said it was helping her reform that got them their cutie marks, but... I didn't realize it would last that long. What do their marks look like, anyway? Rainbow never told me."

Applejack and Rarity shared a knowing look. "Weeeeeeeeeell," drawled the farm mare, "you're gonna get a chance ta see fer yerself."

The yellow pony half smiled. "They're going to dogpile me when I walk through the door, aren't they?"

"Don't be so dramatic," admonished the fashionista playfully. "We told them to announce you when you came in."

"And speaking o' entering... here we are." Applejack gestured toward the castle.

"Wow. Really?" Fluttershy blinked. "That... was a surprisingly short walk."

"Well, you did make half of it on your own, and Ponyville is a small town." Rarity cleared her throat. "...Are you ready?"

Fluttershy took a breath. "No time like the present."


"ANOUNCING!" shouted Apple Bloom, her voice echoing into the castle hall.

"The Bearer of Kindness, Tamer of Animals, Rebuker of Cockatrices, Admonisher of Dragons, Befriender of Discord, Heroine of Equestria, and World Champion of the Shush Game!" Sweetie Belle pontificated proudly.

"The One! The Only! FLUUUUUUUUUUUUTTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERSHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!" Scootaloo proclaimed.

The castle doors swung open, to much hoof-stamping applause and not too few cheers. It died down just a bit when the guest of honor stepped in, her metal hoof clacking ominously against the crystal. It almost died as she strode to the center of the atrium, mane drooping over her face. By the time she looked up, the room was entirely silent.

Her eyes roved over the collected population of Ponyville.

And then... she smiled. "You know... it's good to be home."

"PREACH IT SISTER!" Pinkie cried. "Come on everypony, let's party!"

The next few minutes were a bit of a blur. Various ponies headed her way, welcoming her back and giving her gifts. The Mayor offered a brief tax exemption while she got her hooves back under her, something Fluttershy accepted warmly. Her parents and her brother pulled her into a shared, tight hug--Zephyr Breeze was bawling, babbling about how he was so sorry he didn't know what she'd gone through, and she had to very firmly push him off in the end, though she never stopped smiling. Spike had even brought out a list of the things the others had done to keep her house running while she was away, and was in the middle of checking it over with her...

....and then Fluttershy noticed one pony, awkwardly standing to one side while Twilight spoke with her.

Her smile dropped. "Hey, Spike?"

"Huh? What is it Fluttershy?"

"What," she asked in a tone of very forced calm, "is Starlight Glimmer doing here?"

Author's Note:

I figured I'd break up the main plotline with little looks into Equestia every now and again. And hey, Fluttershy did miss a lot!