• Published 16th Apr 2016
  • 10,976 Views, 601 Comments

Hc Svnt Equus Pinnis - Masterweaver



Torn from the world she knew, Fluttershy must navigate a space-faring society and find a way home...

  • ...
24
 601
 10,976

Deiecit Ien Mare

"...so Macintosh had to reset that part of yer roof entirely," Applejack finished as the six of them entered the spa. "But he accidentally got a different color o' wood. So if anything seems wrong in yer water closet, that's why."

"Oh my. That sounds... well, horrible, in the 'have to laugh' sort of way." Fluttershy tried to hide a small smile behind her hoof. "I'm sorry, Dash, but... seriously?"

"Hey now," the blue pegasus defended, "I thought it was an ordinary plumbing problem, not--not whatever it was!"

"...Miss Fluttershy?"

The six of them turned to look at the stunned pony behind the desk.

"...Hello Lotus." Fluttershy smiled gently. "I... I'm sorry I couldn't come to your spa for a while, I was... away. But I'm back now..."

"My word." The blue mare's eyes roved over her. "...I zink... zis once, zere will be no charge for services."

"Oh, you really don't have to do that--"

"Non, Miss Fluttershy, you are a valued customer. And a good friend, atop zat." Lotus glanced from her to the rest of the group. "I take it zat zis is a group visit?"

The yellow pony frowned. "A free ride for six ponies? Lotus, that's not good for your business!"

"Business? Zis is not about business, Fluttershy--"

"Everything's about--!"

Fluttershy stopped, her hoof frozen in midshout, blinking in confusion for a moment.

"...right. Right, this is Equestria. Not everything's about business..."

She slowly lowered her hoof, taking in the concerned looks her friends were giving her.

"...I'm sorry, Lotus. I just... I don't feel comfortable taking advantage of your hospitality that way. I mean, I'd like a free treatment, but--"

"If it's really that important, I'll cover the costs," Twilight interjected.

"But--"

"Hey, I'm a princess. I don't have to worry about money that much."

Fluttershy opened her mouth to speak... and sighed in resignation. "Alright. If you're sure..."

Rarity cleared her throat. "Well, now that that's settled, shall we head in? You're quite in need of relaxation." She trotted into the main spa facility with a nod to Lotus, waving the group after her. "I think we'll start with a coat treatment, Celestia knows that I need it after all the gem gathering I do."

"And Fluttershy's all covered in scars and stuff!" Pinkie added brightly.

"Yes, darling," Rarity sighed. "She is. I was trying to be subtle."

"Oh, like when you have a super-duper mega-luper birthday present that you just want to blab about to the birthday pony but it wouldn't be right but you can't just keep your mouth shut so you say things like 'YOU LIKE GOLFING RIGHT' all the time?"

Rainbow let out a small snort of laughter. "Sorry Rares, that's about as subtle as you're going to get from her."

"I don't know," Fluttershy mused. "Back when the crystal empire first appeared, she had that costume of me."

"Ah, before we continue, is zere any... precautions I should take regarding....?" Lotus trailed off, nodding to the still shimmering image of wings on Fluttershy's back.

"...Oh! Let me turn those off." Fluttershy grinned sheepishly as the feathers flickered out of existence, the two rods folding flat against her back. "The skin near the base of the grafts is a little sensitive, but aside from that it should be okay."

"Ze oils will not... gunk up the machinery?"

"I have a sub-vibronic scrubber in my Progenitus emergency response kit here," the yellow pony explained, gesturing to one of the objects strapped to her thigh. "Even if the oils do cause issues, which I seriously doubt, I can clean them out easily enough."

"I... see. Well zen. I suppose we can start with ze coat treatment. Where would you like for me to place your zings while we do zat?"

Fluttershy blinked, glancing at the bandoleer she was still wearing. "Oh... um, well. Some of this stuff can be very dangerous to leave in the open... do you mind if I just hang it off the corner of the bench while you do your work?"

"Of course not."

Applejack watched as Fluttershy carefully pulled the bandoleer off. "If ya'll pardon mah askin', why exactly were ya wearin' that anyway?"

"Well, it's kind of hard to infiltrate a TTI research post without a little firepower--"

"A what research post?" Twilight asked.

"TTI. Transcendent Technologies Incorporated. They were the ones that launched the tether in the first place, so they were the only way I could figure to get back."

"The tether?" Twilight asked again.

"Well, that's what it was called in the files..." Fluttershy gently hung the last of her strange artifacts in the bandoleer. "...I think a lot of this isn't going to make sense unless I start from the beginning." She pulled herself onto the bench, letting out a sigh of contentment as Lotus moved to arrange her more comfortably on it. "I've missed this, you know? This... being home, with ponies that understand what it's like to be a pony..."

Twilight glanced around, seeing that the others were all setting themselves up on their own benches, and shook her head with a smile. "I guess that's what we came here for, isn't it? Hold on." Her horn glowed intensely, a notepad and quill materializing beside her as she mounted her own bench. "Okay. I'm ready!"

Fluttershy glanced at the notepad for a moment. "...Never change, Twilight. Never change." She smiled as Lotus applied various ointment treated bands to her body, the runes and patterns projected on her eye shifting. "Hmm... the beginning. Well I didn't know what was going on at the time, of course--all I knew was that one moment I was watering my garden, then the world suddenly went very... strange. When things finally settled down, I was... well, I was in the middle of a pretty weird place."


Screams and murmurs--metal and flesh--light and dark--

Fluttershy blinked, shaking her head and trying to gain her bearings. It didn't help that the very walls were shifting, curving in and out in some sort of slow breathing. There seemed to be quite a few metal desks, torn open to show masses of wires and odd sparking plates of silver runes. The light above her was flickering between a sterile blue and an eerie green. A single sliding door was wrenched open, and through it she could see a long hallway... with walls that were scratched and bleeding, somehow, a disturbing purplish color.

It was through the hallway that she heard various voices, some trying to give orders, others begging for help, and... a third group, quiet voices that seemed oddly calm. This far away she couldn't tell what any of them were saying.

"Um... hello?"

With some trepidation, Fluttershy stepped off the raised platform she had found herself on. She winced as she heard the sound of glass crunching beneath her hooves, only just realizing that the ground all around her was covered with clear shards that were hard to see in the flickering light.

"Is anypony here?" she asked, carefully making her way around one of the metal desks. "I don't mean to be a--meep!"

She covered her muzzle in shock, unable to tear her gaze from the corpse in front of her.

It had the face of a cat, eyes frozen wide in rictus terror, with the rest of the body was structured more like a diamond dog and clothed in a strange, skintight shimmering suit. She couldn't be certain, since the lower half was laying a few feet away from the upper, but she guessed that the creature would have been as tall as Luna if it stood upright. Pinned to the breast of the creature was a small, broken namtag--or at least what Fluttershy assumed was a nametag, the lettering was unfamiliar....

"Oh my...." The pegasus gently took the nametag, nestling it in her mane, and shut the creature's eyes. "I don't know what happened to you, but... I hope you find a better place beyond then you did here..."

A loud shriek broke her from her reverence, bringing her gaze once more to the wedged open door.

"...and I'm sorry, but I think I need to get out of here."

With a steadying breath, she trotted out the door, into the bleeding hallway... and toward the sounds of screaming.


"Wait, hold on." Rainbow held up a hoof. "You went toward the screaming voices?"

"Well, it wasn't like I had much else to go on," Fluttershy replied, twitching as Lotus delicately wrapped the last cloth around the base of her metal leg. "It was either that or stay in the trashed creepy room with the bisected cat person."

"No, I get that, it's just..." The blue pegasus rustled her feathers. "...Okay, I'm just going to say it. You're usually such a wimp!"

"Rainbow Dash!" Applejack scolded.

"What? It's true! I mean she's gotten better, but she's gotten scared of her shadow!"

"Oh I'm not worried about my own shadow anymore," Fluttershy corrected. "There are others that have worse shadows than me. And Dash is... kind of right. I did get spooked pretty easily before I was caught by the tether. But..." She shrugged. "It's like I was with that dragon. I can't just stand by when somebody else is in trouble, you know that."

"My word," Rarity managed, her face paler than usual. "I can't imagine what that must have been like for you... did you ever find out what happened to that cat creature?"

The yellow pony let out a small snort. "Oh, I found out. Pretty quickly too..."


The shifting, bleeding hallways had been more than a little disturbing to walk through. Every now and again she'd see another sliding door torn open, or run into a partially shredded corpse of another animal-thing, taking their nametag and shutting their eyes with a gentle hoof. Sometimes a strange blinking sign would be embedded in the wall, various images and words shifting around inexplicably. And the screaming. It grew more descernable as she drew closer, joined by strange rapid noises that reminded her vaguely of a thunderstorm, lots of rattles and zaps.

Her ears perked as she turned another corner. There was another wrenched open door, but this time she could see motion through it, hear the words more clearly.

"--them off the generator! Don't let them--AAAaUGH!"

"Moruk! Oh crap, they got Moruk!"

With no small amount of trepidation, Fluttershy moved toward the door, keeping herself pressed against the wall as she approached. She peered through cautiously... and gasped, her eyes going wide.

The center of the room was dominated by a large object that looked like a generator from the Ponyville dam, merged with a still-beating heart. It was large enough that the door she was looking through opened onto a catwalk, and she could see another one between it and the floor. But the object, strange though it was, wasn't what caught her eyes.

It was the battle between a group of animal things, one with an extra set of legs, and the strange grey creatures they were fending off.

The creatures vaguely reminded her of Discord, in the sense that they made no sense--but where Discord was a bombastic hodgepodge of animal parts, these things were strangely quiet and uniform even as they attacked. Some had too many limbs, others too few--joints in the wrong places, eyes where they should not be, gaping holes in their bodies that didn't bleed.

"Such pretty toys," one murmured, almost tenderly strangling a badger-thing. The four-legged animal thing, which had a squirrel's face and a long metal tail, whipped his large boxy weapon around and released a spray of... something at it; all that accomplished was gaining the creature's attention. "Naughty, naughty..."

Fluttershy gasped in horror as the creature tossed the badger to one of its companions and launched itself at the squirrel-thing. It was clear, even to her, that the animal-things were not going to last long if something didn't change. Flashes of her own animal friends, and the memories of the various adventures she had been through with the other bearers of harmony, swirled around her mind like a storm as she watched.

It didn't take long for lightning to strike.

The pegasus leapt at the largest of the grey creatures.


"You did WHAT?!" Twilight shrieked.

"Well, I had to!" Fluttershy defended. "I couldn't just stand by and do nothing!"

"Well, no, but... I would have thought you would have tried to talk the creatures down or something!"

The yellow pony sighed. "...I did consider it. But... there was something about how they moved. About what they were saying. They were... I don't think they were even taking the situation seriously, they were playing, like it was just a game. Like killing was just for fun." She rolled a hoof. "I mean... Back before Discord was reformed, he was also kind of playful, right? He didn't care about ponies, he just wanted chaos for the sake of his own amusement. But even he never actually hurt us, not directly."

Fluttershy looked Twilight straight in the eye. "These things would tear your head off to figure out how your neck worked."

The alicorn gulped, leaning away from her intense stare. "Oh."

"Wow, it sounds like you had a really bad time there." Pinkie Pie folded her ears back. "I'm going to need to plan a really good party for you, aren't I?"

"Well, it wasn't all bad," Fluttershy hedged. "I mean, I've had to fight for my life sometimes, but... that wasn't all it was. Amazon station was pretty nice..."

"Amazon station?" Twilight asked.

"Oh, yes, it's this space station with a lot of exotic plants and animals--"

"Twilight," Applejack interjected, "Ah think it might be best if ya just let Fluttershy keep tellin' her story in chronologistical order, so we don't all get confused."

"...It's chronological, Applejack." The purple pony sighed. "But you do have a point, I guess..."

Fluttershy couldn't help but giggle as she saw Twilight write something down on the notepad. "How many questions do you have listed already?"

"Twenty seven, but thirteen of those have already been answered."

"Well, I guess I should see if I can answer more questions then you think of..."


The moment Fluttershy touched the creature, she felt something. Something she hadn't felt in a long while. It wasn't quite the same as when she and her friends defeated Tirek, but it was familiar nontheless. A power both ancient and young flowed through her, channeling the warmth of her soul into the warping of reality and forcing it to behave.

The creature shrunk from a hulking giant to something merely the size of a diamond dog. Its head twisted on a thin neck, an eyeless face staring at her with bemusement.

"That's a new way to dance..."

"A new dance?" Another of the grey creatures turned to look at them. "It's been a while since a new dance found--"

One of the animal things took advantage of the creature's distraction to fire their weapon into it; Fluttershy squeaked in surprise as the creature slurped into nothingness before her eyes. She just had time to realize that the animal was turning its weapon at the creature she was grappling, and jumped off mere moments before the spray filled the thing's chest.

"Wha--Survivor!" The fox who had shot at them quickly whipped her gun at another grey creature, but her gaze remained on the pegasus. "Get up here, we need to stick together!"

The voice of authority was enough to jump Fluttershy to action, and she flapped up to the small group around the heart generator. "Um, what's going on?"

"I was hoping you could tell me. A bioship suddenly appears in orbit, we get sent in to figure out why it's listing, and now we're in a firefight with manifestations." She shot at another gray creature, making it slurp out of existence. "You're with TTI, right?"

"Um, no. What's TTI?"

The fox frowned for a brief moment. "Transcendent Technologies Incorporated. Only megacorp with bioships. Also the guys who screw with these things!" She punctuated her statement by blasting away another gray creature.

Megacorp, bioship, transcendant... Fluttershy heard the words, but what they actually meant escaped her. Still, she understood enough to recognize that the same group that owned wherever it was she found herself was also responsible for these gray creatures.

"How the hell did you end up on a bioship without knowing about them?!"

"Um, well, I was watering my garden and then--"

"You know what, tell me later. Right now we've got to fight off the manifestations." The fox winced as a rat went flying over her head. "What combat training do you have?"

"...um..."

That single utterance was enough to make the fox groan. "A civvie, fucking great. Can't even hand you a gun cause you're a lateral. You have any medical training?"

"Oh yes. I've helped many of my animal friends when they get hurt--not that I'm calling you animals!" Fluttershy added quickly.

The fox looked at her with a strange expression. It didn't last too long, she went back to blasting into the horde of monstrosities, but it was an expression that the pegasus had seen often before; usually, though, it was directed at Pinkie Pie or Discord. It was the face that ponies made when something they did was so abrupt and unrelated that the mind had to take a second to fit it into the situation.

"Just--just try not to die while we handle this."

Fluttershy glanced from the fox to the small group of animal things--a quick headcount put them at under a dozen, while there seemed to be countless gray creatures in the room.

"...are you sure you can deal with this?"

"Well, unless you've got some miracle up your sleeves, we're going to---URK!"

The fox was hauled into the air by a grey creature that had slunk up and grabbed her leg. She aimed her weapon at it, but the thing just slapped it out of her hands, grinning.

"What color do you bleed?" it asked innocently, a bladed tail slinking up.

The storm that had roiled in Fluttershy, the memories and feelings that had led her to jump into this fight, grew virulent and powerful. Somewhere, deep within her mind, she saw a dragon smashing her friends against a rock with its smoky breath--a cockatrice, stalking closer to a set of innocent fillies--a field of apple trees encased in ice...

A strange fox, held in the grasp of a sociopathic abomination.

And suddenly, she knew what she had to do.

Her wings flared as the reared up, eyes narrowed, and summoned every last scrap of willpower in her. Her forehooves sparkled as they descended, racing the bladed tail's own fall toward the fox's face. It was the space of a few seconds, but it might well have been an infinity.

The hooves met the ground, and a shimmering shockwave of pink light spread through the room.

In less than a second the majority of the gray things rippled and twisted out of existence, some laughing, some screaming. The fox let out a grunt as she dropped to the ground, no longer held aloft. Here and there a few of the creatures managed to remain... a few that quickly gained the attention of the animal creatures, who pointed their weapons at them.

One looked directly at Fluttershy and bowed. "Clever girl."

The sight of it being shot down was the last thing she saw before she blacked out.

Author's Note:

Well, as many of you guessed, yes, this is a crossover with Hc Svnt Dracones. And as you can clearly see, I gave Fluttershy some unique advantages.

However, I've also given her some disadvantages. Those'll come into play next chapter. Well, some of them will.

And no, she did not get any advancements this chapter. But she will. She will....