• Published 14th Apr 2016
  • 10,364 Views, 564 Comments

Alicornitus - billymorph



After Twilight and her friends rediscover Starswirl’s last spell in the ruins of Golden Oaks Library Rainbow Dash asks, ‘why can’t we all become alicorns?’

  • ...
17
 564
 10,364

Princess Rainbow Dash's Family Fun

Rainbow Dash’s childhood home was a sprawling villa perched atop of cumulonimbus, typical for the Cloudsdale suburbs. From the broad central courtyard it was possible to see into, and in a few cases through, almost every room in the house. That left Rainbow Dash very few locations to hide after making her pronouncement.

“Rainbow Dash!”

A pair of blue missiles exploded from the living room and homed in on Rainbow Dash, who had barely spread her wings when the twins slammed into her barrel. The trio went tumbling over backwards, just avoiding the central fountain, and hit the ground with a whumph of displaced cloud.

“Ack! Help, regicide!” Rainbow exclaimed, pinned beneath the foals.

“Regicide?” Blue Bolt frowned at his sister from his perch on her haunch.

“Hey, she’s got a horn!” Blue Arrow rapped his hoof against Rainbow’s horn, making the alicorn wince. “And it's not made of wood this time!”

“Wingus, Dingus,” Rainbow Dash said, blowing her mane out of her eyes. She didn’t bother trying to get their names right; both had sky-blue coats, azure manes and near identical cutie-marks. Telling them apart was something only their mother could do. “Would you mind letting me breathe?”

The twins shared a malicious grin. “I don’t know—” Bolt began.

“—what’s it worth to you?” Arrow finished.

Rainbow glared at them for a moment. “Dad!” she yelled. “They’re doing the creepy twin thing again.”

From his usual seat in the living room Blaze looked over his newspaper. “Play nice, boys!”

As usual, the twins ignored him and their grins widened.

“Urgh, why did I think that would help?” Rainbow muttered to herself. “Okay, this has stopped being funny.”

Rainbow bunched her wings and with a titanic heave flipped back onto her hooves. Bolt and Arrow went tumbling away laughing and Rainbow Dash fluttered back to the ground. She had less than a second to compose herself before the second volley arrived.

“Rainbow!” Spectral Glider exclaimed. He made a flying leap at Rainbow Dash who just managed to get her hooves around the foal in time and turn the tackle into a hug. Luckily for the pair of them Spectral was a few years younger than the twins. Although Rainbow was forced back a step, they didn’t end up in the rainbow fountain.

“Heya, Squirt,” she said, ruffling her little brother’s mane. “Yeash, you’re getting heavy. You must be about ready for a cutie-mark now.”

Spectral pouted as Rainbow lowered him to the floor. The baby of the family, Spectral had the same wiry build as his older sister and rainbow mane, though his colours were far less vivid. “That’s what I’ve been saying.” He shook himself out of his funk in under a second. “But what happened to you? You’re a Princess.”

“Yep, you are looking at the most radical Princess—and future Wonderbolt—in all of Equestria,” Rainbow Dash declared, puffing out her chest. “You might want to get a photo for posterity.”

“Who’s Posterity?”

Rainbow Dash shrugged. “Eh, I don’t know. Somepony who collects photos I guess.”

“Ahem.” Firefly cleared her throat pointedly as she strode towards Rainbow Dash. Her foals scrambled out of her way. “If I might interrupt. What have you done this time, Rainbow Dash?”

“Geeze, Mom, I thought you’d at least be a little excited.” Rainbow Dash buffed her hoof on her barrel. “I mean, your favourite daughter is now the ‘Princess of Awesome’, after all.” She shot a wide grin at her brothers who beamed back.

Firefly did not share the moment. “Right... And how exactly did this happen?” she pressed, looming over her daughter. Rainbow seemed to have gained half an inch over her but Firefly was never one to let things like that get in the way of parental authority. “Have you usurped Celestia’s mantle?”

Rainbow Dash made a face. “Urgh, no. That’d be evil.”

“Did you read from an ancient and forbidden book,” she continued.

“No.”

“Did you make a deal with Discord?”

“No.” Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. “I’m not stupid enough to do that twice.”

“Find an artifact of unholy and terrible power and try to wear it as a hat?”

“No!” Rainbow spread her wings. “Look I know you don’t trust me to–” She paused, frowning. “Wait... Okay, actually it was that second one. But it wasn’t like the book was forbidden and evil! It was the same dumb book Twilight used to get her wings.”

“Wait, so she’s actually a Princess?” Bolt cut in, leaping into the air and hovering next to Rainbow Dash’s head as he peered at her horn. “Does that make us royalty?”

“I think Rainbow Dash is just an alicorn for now,” Firefly replied, icily. “Unless our invitation to your coronation got lost in the mail?”

“Urgh, one Birthaversary in Ponyville and you never let me hear the end of it.” Rainbow sighed. “But yeah I’m an alicorn now. The most awesome kind of pony there is. With the speed of a pegasus—” She flexed her wings. “—The magic of a unicorn—” She tapped a hoof against her horn. “—And the... um, ability to grow basic fruits and vegetables of an earth pony? Okay, that last one needs work.”

“Awesome!” Bolt rounded on his brother. “We are going to be royalty!”

“Why, I always knew it to be true, dear Arrow,” Arrow said, affecting the poshest accent he could muster. “Nopony could ever match the soapistication of our family.”

“Quite so, my good Bolt,” Bolt replied, turning his nose up high enough to put any Canterlot socialite to shame.

“Did they just switch names again?” Rainbow Dash asked Firefly. Her mother shrugged. “Eh whatever. I’ll make sure that you two go down as Princes Wingus and Dingus.”

“What? No!” the twins exclaimed, whirling.

“Mom, tell her she can’t do that!”

“Summer Belle would never speak to us again!”

“Nopony is changing anypony’s names,” Firefly snapped, pressing a hoof against her head. “Rainbow Dash, please don’t tease them. I’ve got to get them to school in a few minutes.”

Rainbow Dash shrugged. “Fine, though I’m saving the Summer Belle thing to tease them about later. Still...” She tapped her chin with a forehoof. “Maybe now that I’m a Princess I can close school. How does that sound, brats?”

“You can close school?” Spectral exclaimed, lifting off the ground as he buzzed his wings in excitement. “Best Princess ever!”

Firefly stamped her hoof. “No, she can not close school. Boys, go eat your breakfast before it gets cold.”

“Uh, no I could totally close school.” Rainbow Dash flashed a cocky grin, stepping between Firefly and the boys. “Royal prerogative and all that.”

Firefly put a wing over her daughter’s back and dragged her back into line. “No you couldn’t, dear. Cloudsdale is an allied city state ruled by a steering council.” Her eyes narrowed. “As you would have learned if you’d ever paid any attention in school.”

Urgh again with the school thing.” Rainbow Dash dragged her hooves down her face. “Come on, Mom, I’m freaking royalty now. is that really something you’re going to keep aloft?”

“I’m trying to look out for you, dearest,” Firefly replied, with a cold smile. “One of us has to look out for your well-being after all.”

“Uh oh,” Bolt said, his eyes shifting between the two mares. “Here they go again.”

“I am more than capable of looking after myself, you know,” Rainbow shot back, bristling.

“Oh yes, I forgot. How are you doing as a small town cloudpusher?”

Rainbow Dash jabbed a hoof at her horn. “Pretty well actually! Why is it you always get on my case about friggin’ school no matter what I do? It was six years ago.”

“I don’t know, why do you always bring up how good a decision you made?” Firefly shot back. “Perhaps you’ve noticed at last that a pony needs to know more than how to fly fast and nearly break her neck every other week.”

“I’ll have you know the Wonderbolts think that my flying is the best thing they’ve ever seen.” Dash tossed her head. “And I haven’t broken a bone in three months.”

“Uh, Dad!” Arrow called over his shoulder. “We might need you to step in over here!”

“Oh yes, let's also talk about your remarkable safety record. But first, when were you planning to tell me about the brainwashing incident with Starlight Glimmer?”

“I was–” Rainbow Dash paused, blinking. “Wait, how did you even hear about that?”

“I have tea with Fluttershy’s mother every Wednesday,” Firefly explained, waving the issue off. “It’s the only way I can actually hear what happens to you girls on these little ‘crown adventures’ of yours. Well, save for watching the occasional monster rampaging across the land from the peanut gallery.”

“Well, Fluttershy always oversells these things,” Rainbow muttered, staring at her forehooves. “It was only a little mind magic and– You know what, why am I even defending this? We saved a whole bunch of ponies and everything worked out great, as usual. Maybe, just maybe, I actually have a clue what I’m sticking my nose into.”

“Do you, Rainbow Dash?” Firefly’s eyes narrowed. “So you’ve actually prepared for the fact Celestia may ask you to rule a city like Princess Cadence? You’re ready to fight off kidnappers like Princess Twilight?”

Rainbow rolled her eyes. “Hey, I just said we kicked Starlight’s plot and if she tries anything again I’ll be blasting her with magic lasers. I can handle myself.”

Firefly glowered at her. “I’ll believe it when I see it.”

“Urgh!” Rainbow Dash through up her hooves. “Can’t you just be happy for me for once in my life? I’ve saved the world, like, six times now, I’ve flown with the Wonderbolts and I’m going to be friggin’ coronated in the near future! What do I need to do around here to get a little respect?”

“Come on, Squirt,” Bolt said, grabbing his younger brother who was watching the growing argument with horror. “Back up before they start throwing lightning again.” The trio began to slink away to a safe distance.

“Perhaps if you were capable of showing the slightest amount yourself you’d know,” Firefly snapped.

“Gargh, and you always make it about me!” Rainbow stamped a hoof and an ear-splitting boom of thunder made everypony but her jump. “You know what I think? I think you’re jealous. You can’t stand the idea of me actually having a life! You hate the fact that one of us is out there actually achieving things and you’re stuck on this cloud looking after the brats!”

Utter silence descended between the mares.

“What?” Firefly’s voice was as cold as ice and her glare could cut through steel at ten paces. “What did you say?”

“She’s gonna’ blow!” Bolt and Arrow dived behind a column.

Rainbow Dash paused for half a second or so, as if teetering on the realisation that she had, once again, gone too far. It didn’t stick.

“Yeah, you know what, you are jeal~ous!”

“That’s it!” Firefly roared. “I don’t have to listen to this lip from you young lady, you are grounded!”

“I don’t have to listen to you, I’m royalty!” Rainbow Dash spread her wings wide and crouched for a take-off. “I don’t know why I even came here anymore!” With a wumph of displaced air she pumped her wings and disappeared into the sky, leaving only a shimmering rainbow trail in her wake.

“Hey!” Firefly yelled, spreading her own wings. “Don’t you fly away from me, I wasn’t done yelling at you yet. Get right back here missy and–”

“Honey, she’s gone,” Rainbow Blaze interrupted, pressing up against his wife’s flank.

“Well...” Firefly spluttered for a moment, incoherent with rage. “Well, I’m going right after her and bashing some sense into–”

Blaze put his good wing over her withers and drew her in close. “Firefly, breathe.”

She raised her hoof, and for a moment seemed to seriously consider punching him in the mouth. Then she paused, took a deep breath, and lowered it back onto the cloud. “Urgh...” She hung her head. “Ponyfeathers. I did it again, didn’t I?”

“Well, I’m going to split the blame fifty/fifty on this one.” Blaze said, ignoring Firefly’s scowl. “But really, dear, you’ve got to give Dashie some clear air once in awhile.”

Firefly let out an annoyed huff. “I know, I know. But she’s going to get hurt again.”

Blaze let out a long sigh. “Sometimes to really let them fly, you have to let them crash all on their own. She’ll figure it out.”

There was a sudden rustle of feathers and Rainbow Dash landed hard in front of the couple.

“Yeah! And also, you can’t ground me because I already moved out!” she exclaimed. She was met with baffled silence. “Um... You know, because you said I was grounded... And I’m not going to do it? Okay whatever, bye.”

She spread her wings and leapt back into the air as Firefly facehooved.

Blaze sighed. “I’ll admit, some ponies need a few more knocks to learn than others.”

Author's Note:

Oh Rainbow, you already had the last word :facehoof:

Anyway, sorry for this chapter taking me a while. As it turns out that while its easy to write something funny or write an argument, a funny argument is pretty damn difficult. This chapter was necessary though as it sets up Rainbow's key conflict with her newfound status that being an alicorn doesn't move her towards her goals. As I've mentioned before these stories can quickly become wishfulfillment if you're not careful so it's important to lay this groundwork. That and I really enjoyed writing Rainbow's family :raritywink:

Now that everything's all set up I'm going to be breaking into a few longer storylines, but first it's question time! Twilight's going to be fielding questions about alicornhood in the next chapter, anyone got any they'd like to add to the list before I wrap it up?