• Published 14th Apr 2016
  • 10,360 Views, 564 Comments

Alicornitus - billymorph



After Twilight and her friends rediscover Starswirl’s last spell in the ruins of Golden Oaks Library Rainbow Dash asks, ‘why can’t we all become alicorns?’

  • ...
17
 564
 10,360

Princess Celestia’s Improv Session

Twilight’s friends found the alicornication spell, can you check the Astral Plane?

-Spike

Celestia blinked and read the scroll again. Well, that explained the mystery of the magic flare she’d felt. With a slight chuckle she set it aside and stood to address the Court.

“The Solar Court is closed for the day.” A ripple of surprise ran through the gathered crowd of nobles and petitioners. “Please see the stewards for alternative arrangements.” Before anypony could raise a word of protest, she vanished in a flare of white light.

A moment later she reappeared within the Astral Plane, trying and failing to avoid stumbling on her numb hooves. For reasons unknown, the spell always left Celestia feeling like she’d just lost a day-long pillow fight, complete with the inexplicable tickle of a phantom feather beneath her tongue. Shaking her head to try to clear the malaise she kindled her horn, probing the mists for Equestria’s newest alicorn. An answering swell of magic pointed her in the right direction and she set off at a swift trot.

For a moment Celestia mused on just who might have ascended. Twilight was proving a wonderful diplomat, but she wasn’t the only Bearer to have potential. Rarity, with just the faintest whiff of royal approval, had managed to wrap half of the Canterlot nobility around her hoof in under two weeks and Celestia was itching to see what she’d achieve with a true title. That said, there was a certain guilty appeal to pointing Applejack at land reform and just sitting back and listening to the ‘special interests’ wailing.

“Okay, so this is cool and all, but now what?” Rainbow Dash’s voice cut through the mists.

Celestia winced. Well, it seemed she owed Luna a hundred bits. Affecting serene smile number three [encouraging and genuinely pleased], she stepped through the bubbles of memory that surrounded Rainbow Dash.

“Welcome, my little– ponies?”

For a moment Celestia’s serene look wavered and she shifted to smile number thirty seven [I don’t know if this is a crisis yet but it will be if I show any sign of panic]. Five ponies stood before her and she became suddenly aware that Spike’s letter neglected to mention just how many of Twilight’s friends had used the spell.

“Princess!” they chorused, dropping to bow respectfully.

Celestia swallowed the lump in her throat as she fought to recover from her surprise. “R–rise, my little ponies. You do not need to bow to me any more,” she continued, scrambling to get back onto script.

Rarity's head shot up. “Do you mean it?” Her eyes sparkled. “We’re going to be–” She cut herself off with an excited squeal.

“Yeah! Alicorn party time!” Pinkie exclaimed, throwing streamers into the air much to Celestia’s bewilderment.

“Told’ya,” Rainbow Dash cut in, buffing her hoof on her chest. “Oh, this is gonna be sweet! Oh hey, can we select our own titles?”

Celestia’s smile shifted to number five [that’s nice dear]. “Perhaps we’re getting a little ahead of ourselves. First, I must congratulate you, my little ponies. You have come a very long way to be here today. Many have tried to reach this place but I always hoped you would be among those who have succeeded.”

“Heh, what can I say?” Rainbow Dash continued, her smug grin widening. “It was just a poem.”

“No, Rainbow Dash.” Celestia shook her head. “Starswirl’s spell was merely the final step on a long road. My little ponies, all of you—” She craned her neck to meet Fluttershy’s eyes despite the pegasus’ best efforts to hide at the back of the group. “—yes even you, Fluttershy, have come so much further and achieved so much more than I could have ever hoped. Your loyalty, honesty, kindness, generosity and laughter have stayed strong throughout the worst that the world could set against you and have saved Equestria more times than I like to consider.”

“Oh, it ain't’ nothin’.”

“Think nothing of it, darling.”

“Yeah, we’re awesome like that.”

Everypony shot Rainbow Dash an incredulous look, but she remained unfazed.

“What?” she demanded. “We’re about to become Princesses, girls. You know a better time to brag?”

Celestia resisted the urge to roll her eyes and switched to smile one [reserved amusement]. “Perhaps a touch of modesty would serve you well, Rainbow Dash, but I won’t deny this is a day to celebrate. Still, we mustn't linger. I’m sure Twilight Sparkle is worried for you. Unless you have anything to ask before–”

“Ooo! Ooo!” Pinkie Pie leapt up and down, holding a forehoof in the air.

Celestia cocked her head. “Yes, Pinkie Pie?”

“Do we get a song?” she asked, beaming.

“I... You want me to sing?” A slight frown crossed Celestia’s brow. “I’m afraid that I don’t have anything prepared.”

“Twilight got a song,” Pinkie Pie pressed, with the impenetrable logic of a five year old.

Celestia rolled her eyes. “I had a little more warning for Twilight. But still...” She glanced at the bubbles of memory and matter surrounding them. “Perhaps something can be arranged.” Summoning one of the pinker orbs she forced the memory to the fore and its music began to echo around the plane.

“I think you know this one, Pinkie,” Celestia began, as the beat began to play.

“Now listen Pinkie Pie,
I think it's fair to say,
I’ve never seen a po~ny so skilled at smiling come what may.
Sometimes it has been hard,
And days may have been blue,
But making ponies laugh and sing is what you were born to do.”

“Well I just want to see them smile, smile, smile!” Pinkie chorused.

Celestia smiled.

Yes that’s true.
And making ponies truly happy is why,
they love you.

Pinkie bounced in place.“But all I really need’s grin, grin, grin!”

And with that you’ll be just fine.”

Celestia cut the music before Pinkie launched herself into the next verse, leaving the mare hanging mid bounce. Unsure if that was possible even by the loose laws of the astral planes, Celestia grabbed the nearest bubble and a banjo began to echo through the mists.

“Ah reckon this one is mine,” Applejack said, stepping forward.

Celestia reapplied smile number three and began to bounce on her hooves to the beat. “Indeed Applejack.”

A mare like you comes once a generation,
Reliable, brave and strong.
Your roots are spread across the pony nation,
And the world joins you in song.”

Applejack blushed, pulling her hat down over her face.

With your friends stood beside you, your light now shines through,
And now you are so much more.
Still no matter what comes the storm you’ll weather,
You’re an Apple to the core.”

“Ah shucks, Ah was just doing what anypony would do,” Applejack said, shaking her head.

Celestia reapplied smile five. “Perhaps, but I find that who could have done something is far less important than who then did.”

“Heh, like anypony out there could top us,” Rainbow Dash cut in, leaping into the air and buffing a forehoof on her chest. “Come on, let's get to my song already. It’s gonna’ be something awesome!”

“Oh?” Celestia kept her face studiously neutral as her magic flared, pulling one of the more distant bubbles towards her. An electric guitar began to wail and a five pairs of ears perked up.

An awesome song you want from me?

Of daring stunts and loyalty?

“Yeah!” Dash cheered, headbanging along to the music.

Celestia smirked. “Well then...

I first saw you in the middle of a sonic boom.
I was sure then I’d see you here so very soon.
No one can match you, the skies you’re their ruler.
It’s safe to say nopony could be cooler.

Yeah, you’re awesome, no question.
For all to see, you’re as awesome as a pony can be.
But though awesome, take caution.
You’ll never be as awesome as you want to be.

“Awesome as I– wait, what was that last bit?”

Celestia shook her head, resisting the urge to roll her eyes. It was remarkable just how much Rainbow Dash reminded her of her younger self. At least there wouldn’t be nearly as many harsh lessons in Rainbow’s future if Celestia had anything to say about it.

Still, that was for later. With a smirk, Celestia drew another bubble towards her and a far more delicate tune began to play. Turning to face Rarity, who was trembling with excitement, she began to sing.

The rise of Rarity, I think we all agree,
Is long overdue.
Through generosity,
And sheer ferocity,
You’ve come so far shining through.

“Eeee,” Rarity let out a little squeak. Fanning herself with a hoof she fought to regain her composure. “I mean. You flatter me... do go on.”

“Well then.” Celestia spread her wings wide as the song built to a crescendo.

This is your moment now will you seize it?
The world before you is an open door!
The struggle was all worthwhile.
You’ll make those ponies smile.
And through it all to your heart,
Your heart, stay true.

“Can I trust you with that?” Celestia said, with a broad version of smile seventeen [I hope you’ll do this for me].

Rarity dropped into a deep formal bow. “Princess, I–”

“Uh uh uh.” Celestia held up a hoof to silence her. “No titles, not here. But before anything else I believe we’re forgetting somepony.”

She turned to look for the final pony. Fluttershy was stood at the back of the group and shied back, ducking her head to shield herself with her mane as she caught Celestia’s gaze.

Celestia pursed her lips and took a hesitant step forwards. “Fluttershy? Are you okay?”

“Sure, never better,” she said in a breathless rush. Celestia arched an eyebrow at her. “Umm, well actually... I was wondering that maybe, just maybe, we’re all rushing things just a teensy weensy little bit.” Fluttershy seemed to shrink in place as she folded her wings tight against her sides, her voice dropping to a mere whisper. “Not much. Just, you know, we might say try again another day? I think I left the oven on and I really should make sure that Angel isn’t worried about–”

Celestia stepped forwards, took her chin in her hoof and gently closed her mouth, stilling her nervous babble. “Fluttershy. You don’t need to be afraid.”

Fluttershy ducked her head. “I just... don’t know if I want to be an alicorn.”

There was wisdom there, but it was also far too late. Celestia let out a deep sigh. “Of all the ponies who have stood here, I think perhaps you are the most deserving.”

Celestia stood and drew another bubble of memory towards them. Both Fluttershy’s and Rarity’s ears perked up as a familiar beat began to play

“There’s music in your heart, dear.
A song that's full of joy.
A burning love for every mare and foal.

Fluttershy looked ready to bolt and Celestia swept a wing around her barrel.

Sometimes you have been scared, dear.
But know this to be true.
That never have I met a stronger soul.

When you find you’ve got the music,” Rarity chorused, stepping up alongside Fluttershy.

Celestia reared as she belted out, “you will look inside and find.

Find you’ve got the music.” Rainbow filled the void on Fluttershy’s right, putting a wing across her shoulders.

The strength to see your dreams come true.

Find you’ve got the music.” Pinkie leapt into the growing group hug with a squeal of delight.

Though the path you walk will not be easy.

Find you've got the music.” Rolling her eyes, Applejack squeezed into the final gap.

Beside your friends you’ll see it through.

You’ve got the music.
Got the music, got the music.
Got the music in you.

All five ponies burst into laughter as the music ended and Celestia smiled.

“Well then, Fluttershy. I hope that keeps your fears at bay for now.” With a final wave of her horn the Astral Plane trembled and around them windows into the past began to open. “Still, we must get moving; Twilight will be growing worried for you all. It is time.”

A final song began to play, one with which Celestia was very familiar. With an unexpectedly large herd of ponies in tow she set off through the memories.

You’ve come such a long, long way.
Through hard times, and through those shining days.
And I have been watching.
The heights you have flown to.
The times that you won through.
And all the days that we owe to you.

She paused, and turned to face her little ponies. They, perhaps, were not quite as reverent as Twilight had been. Pinkie seemed unable to keep from bouncing on her hooves and Celestia caught Rarity and Rainbow sharing a broad grin.

It’s time now, for a new day to start.
The light blazes deep in your hearts.
The world waits before you.
To see as you will see.
To be as you will be.
For it’s time now to join your destiny.

The plane reverberated around the final note. Celestia threw her forelegs and wings open wide, letting the magic of the world fill her and, for a moment, she blazed from horn to tail with radiant light. Five more lights answered her, bursting from the hearts of the assembled ponies, wreathing their hosts in colour so bright it hurt to look at.

One by one they were lifted into the air, Rainbow Dash flapping her wings as if trying to hurry the magic along. Celestia had to bite down on a laugh as she saw Applejack’s faintly bemused frown before the farm-mare vanished in a bolt of light and colour. Rarity followed a moment later, then Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash leaving just Fluttershy trembling, her eyes screwed tightly shut.

“Fluttershy,” Celestia began, as perhaps the first genuine smile since Twilight’s ascension graced her muzzle. “Don’t worry. They’ll be right there with you. Always.”

The mare swallowed, took a deep, steadying breath and vanished, leaving Celestia alone on the Astral Plane. She dropped back onto her hoofs with a sigh and, after a brief moment, brought up a hoof to her face.

“Oh good grief; all six of them. Luna is going to kill me.”

Author's Note:

Sorry for the delay to this one, I was advised that for those of you who aren't keen on songs in text it was a little on the lite side so I bundled it and chapter 3 together.

So, did you recognise all the songs? For those struggling:

Pinkie Pie's song: Smile Song

Because really, how could it be anything else?

Applejack's song: Apples To The Core

Not that there was a huge amount to chose from, it was this or Raise This Barn. Applejack needs more songs.

Rainbow Dash's song: Awesome As I Wanna Be

Yeah, it was an EQG song, *Ducks pitchfork*. Also, Twilight's going to be tearing out her hair trying to figure out how Celestia heard this one.

Rarity's song: Rules Of Rarity

Technically this does cause a minor time paradox.

Fluttershy's song: Music in the Treetops & Find the Music in You

Probably the best Fluttershy song there is. No arguments, or else :flutterrage:

And finally, Celestia's song: Celestia's Ballad

Though if you didn't get this one you're probably wondering when Twilight grew wings.