• Published 15th Jun 2012
  • 8,085 Views, 285 Comments

Red Vs Blue: Epsilon in Equestria - The Sentient Cloud



When Church is sucked back into the Epsilon Unit, he finds himself in a world filled with ponies.

  • ...
17
 285
 8,085

Chapter 8: Rising Tempers

Author's Note In Comments.

---------------

The UNSC Archives:

“I’m telling you, I can’t do this!” Grif cried frantically.
“I don’t care if you can or can’t, you’re doing it.” Carolina shot back, jabbing Grif in the back with her rifle.

“This is a bad idea.” Simmons interjected. “He’s just going to get killed.”
“That’s the point.” Sarge replied smugly. “It’s my plan.”

“Well fuck that then!” Grif grew even more frantic, trying to back-pedal as Sarge pushed him towards the door. “I’m not going in there!”
“Too late.” Carolina spat, pushing Sarge to one side and giving Grif a single kick, propelling him through the doorway.

Grif tripped on the doorframe as he was propelled forwards, falling flat on his face.
“Fuck!” He cursed as Sarge slammed the door closed behind him. “Ow!”

“Good luck!” Called one of the others through the door.
“Fuck you!” He shouted back, before remembering that he was now in serious danger, and needed to keep his voice down.

Grif angrily dragged himself up off the floor.
“I’m gonna die.” He muttered under his breath, mentally cringing away from the task ahead of him.

***

Ponyville Library:

What?

Rainbow raised an eyebrow, somehow not picking up on Church’s tone.
“Uhh… I asked about your family. You know… Parents, brother, sister, wife?”

Church stood up, letting out a pained shout as one of his hind legs lashed out and knocked over the pile of books on his bed.
“Woah! Calm down” Rainbow took a startled step backwards as the enraged stallion reared up on his hind legs, letting out another pained shout.

“Church!” Rainbow shouted, noting for the first time that Church - while not as large as Big Macintosh - wasn't overly small either. If it came to blows, she was sure she could beat him – but it wouldn’t be easy.
“Church, that’s enough!”

The stallion himself dropped back to the ground, nostrils flaring, his eyes wild.
“That’s just fucking it!” He bellowed. “It’s NEVER enough! Every time I think I’m finally fucking happy, it gets snatched the fuck away!”

“Church!” Rainbow rose up on her hind legs, worried that it was about to come to blows. “What are you talking about?! Stop it!”

Church looked around him. “I hate this! This stupid world, this stupid body, and this stupid fucking unit!”
“What are you talking about?”
Not paying any attention, Church turned to the door of the room, his eyes still wild. “Fuck this.”
“What are you doing?” Rainbow demanded, keeping her distance.

Church turned his head to her, the fire in his eyes starting to fade. “I’m leaving. This place is a sick, fucking, joke.” He hissed the last part.
Before she could respond, Church slammed the door to his room open.
“Hey!” Rainbow shouted, taking chase. “Come back here!”

Church charged down the stairs, showing none of the timidity that had been present the last time he’d used them.
“Make me!” He shouted, right before something hit him from behind.

A single “AAHHH!” erupted from Church’s mouth as he was thrown down the few stairs, landing on his side at the bottom.

Rainbow was standing over him, a confused and angry expression on her face.
“What the clop is wrong with you? Are you crazy?”
Church looked her in the eye, his face portraying nothing but anger
“Don’t mention my family ever again.”

“Why not?” Rainbow’s gaze was focussed down to a suspicious glare.
Church stood up, his muzzle crinkled in an angry sneer.
“Why the fuck should I tell you?” He growled, before turning back to the door. “If Sparkle comes back, tell her I’ve gone for a walk.”

Almost as soon as he was out of the door, Church felt as if a massive weight had been lifted from his back. Being around that stupid horse made him feel oppressed.

With a little sigh, Church started walking away from the Library, already feeling a lot better.

***

Sugarcube Corner:

“He sounds fun!” Pinkie grinned, rocking from side to side on her hoofs. “What’s he doing now?”
“I guess he’s still at the Library.” Twilight shrugged. “I should probably be getting back.”
“No way!” Spike protested through a mouthful of rubies. “I’m not done yet!”

Twilight gave a weak smile. “Well, Rainbow went off to check on Church a while ago, so I want to see how they’re getting along.”
“I bet that they aren’t.” Spike chipped in, before shovelling another cupcake into his mouth.

“Oh spike!” Pinkie’s grin grew wider as her swaying increased in speed. “Ponies don’t just fight each other because they can! That’d be silly!”
“Well this guy doesn’t seem to think he’s a pony.”

Twilight’s smile faded. “Now that I think about it, I really don’t think that Church and Dash will get along. I really think I should get back there.”
Pinkie’s grin turned into a pout. “What’s the hurry? I’m sure they-”

AAHHH!

The trio’s heads – and the head of everypony else in the building – snapped around as the shout echoed through the streets.

Twilight's heart dropped.
“Oh no.”

***

The UNSC Archives:

“Oh-shit-oh-shit-oh-shit.” Grif muttered under his breath, pressing his back up against the wall.

“…found them?”
“Not yet, but they’re still around. Proximity alarms haven’t picked up anything.”

Grif tensed up as the two soldiers approached. They were only a few meters from the corner.

“So remind me: This ‘Carolina’ She was… like… the best one, right?”
“Second best – I think.”
“Right, second best. So if she was second best out of them all, then why the hell did we split up to find them?”

Both of the men fell silent, and their footsteps stopped.

“Uhh… Maybe we should go get Jeffrey.”
“Yeah. Maybe we should.”

Grif listened in astonishment as the footsteps started again, receding back up the hall. It was like something from a terrible story.

Not wanting to test his luck by sticking around, Grif darted through the door that took up the wall of the three-way junction in the hall. He had no idea where the unit was – maybe it was back where he had dropped it. Maybe they had moved it.

By this point, Grif didn’t care. The others weren’t going to let him out until he had the memory unit.

As if on cue, Grif’s radio came to life.

Grif, you still alive?” Simmons’ voice was laced with what sounded like worry.
“Yeah.” Grif panted the reply, stopping and bending over his knees. “I nearly got caught, but I’m good.”
Where are you?[/I”
“Don’t know, don’t care. Just make sure there’s a Twinkie waiting for me when I get out there.”

Uhh… Sure.” Simmons’ voice was uncertain – most likely because he didn’t want to remind Grif that they didn’t have any Twinkies.