• Published 20th Apr 2016
  • 2,028 Views, 259 Comments

Where The Heart Lies - Broman



Quicksilver, a pegasus guard, is captive under the gryphons. He now must survive in an gryphon encampment but at the same time learns about their reasons behind the war.

  • ...
4
 259
 2,028

Truth and Pain

Hammer breathed heavily into the cold night air. He had finished his exercise, his wounded shoulder being tender with overexertion. Despite that, he felt if he kept doing this everyday, he would rebuild the strength within his left shoulder.

He also trained among the other guards and Cervine in their exercises, getting their bodies warmed up in the cold air. He even partook in a wrestling match between several of the guards and the Diamond Dogs. He was outmatch by the big Rexxar who managed to pin him to the ground with ease. The others were a little lucky in overcoming the diamond dogs strength but it was a tough grind. Overall, it left him worn out and he didn’t regret any of it.

He needed to keep his mind off of things, particularly with the threat of the Griffon invasion. The thought of approaching Griffons, clad in heavy armor and a determined will to fight, would keep anypony on edge. Yet, despite that, he knew that they would be safe so long as the wall kept them covered. He looked to the night sky and noted that the land was still covered in the snow storm. The snow fell at a rapid pace, but calmed when it entered into the encampment, due to the snow wall taking the brunt of the force.

Having done everything he wanted, and with night approaching, he headed for Silverwing’s tent, hoping for a good night’s rest. Saying good night to his friends and allies he made his way over, passing by the tired denizens of the camp. The sound of the snowstorm hung above his head, the wind picking off the tops of the wall and splattering everywhere within the camp. He didn’t mind when some of the snow fell on him, as it cooled his warm body.

The confined spaces of the camp kept everything warm to him somehow, and the other guards and Cervine were unaffected by the necessary changes from weeks previous. There had been no issues whatsoever with the doubling and tripling up the number of beds into a single tent; everypony was resting comfortably and weren’t affected by the cold. Even if the chill wind cooled his body, he wanted nothing more than to rest the night away.

He made it to his tent and entered inside, finding it to be empty. The beds were still separated, and he didn’t want to make any changes. Silverwing was certainly not talkative, and he hadn’t a proper time to have idle conversation. He sighed. It was a heavy weight on his heart, wondering what was happening with her and if she was over her tribulations.

He decided to let such matters go for now, and started heading into the bed. Within moments of his head hitting the pillow, his mind was already drifting to sleep.

The dreamscape took hold of his mind and he appeared to be floating in the expanse of his mind. He didn’t know where his dreams would lead him, nor did he seem to care or mind. The sky around him changed and shifted, turning from orange to bluish hues that made the skies that more beautiful. Buildings formed out of the earth, rising high into the air along with spires that reached to the heavens. The buildings were intimidating, yet they felt eerily familiar and he felt comfortable among its presence. His eyes wandered down the unblemished streets, going upon one home to another with many families. He saw many of the pony families from the three tribes, each having a home of there own within this familiar city. He could see their happy faces and the tranquil peace of their children playing with one another.

Even if it were a dream, he wished this to never end.

He was moving down the road, wandering from one home to the next. He then laid his eyes on one home in particular. It was at the end of the street, with a hay roof and cobblestone walls that was finely made. A few flowers were hanging near the window sills, and the smell of lilac hung in air. Everything seemed so peaceful, so real, and he felt at ease. The soft cry of a happy child emanated from within the home. He quickened his pace, opening the door and entering inside.

What he found was an adorable sight.

The living room was covered in soft pillows and blankets, making a small sizable fort. The little foal he had heard turned out to be a filly, and he saw the little one was happy in playing in the blankets and pretending to be a knight. She had a blue coat and silver hair with white streaks through it. The moment the door closed behind him, the filly turned to him and a deep smile spread across her cheeks.

“Daddy!” she cried out and rushed to him.

He blinked in surprise as she wrapped up her hooves around one of his legs as best as she could. He sat on his haunches and looked at her vibrant eyes. He smiled, seeing her filled with such wonder and curiosity. She went to his chest and rubbed her muzzle into his fur. He instinctively wrapped his hooves around her small form and felt his heart flutter with the embrace. He wanted to hold on and never let go, as if he would be forever lost if he did.

Out of his peripheral vision he saw a figure coming towards him, one that was all-too familiar to him. He looked up and his eyes widened to see Silverwing walking to him, a small warm smile on her face. She didn’t have her cloak on, revealing her soft blue coat and silver hair, which was pulled back behind her ear where the strand of blue separated her mane. She beamed at him, and a radiant aura seemed to spread off her. She made the room feel more open, and he felt assurance that she was with him now.

She walked up to his side, sitting on her haunches next to him with the filly in between both of their hooves. She didn’t say anything, still giving off that infectious smile which made him smile even more. She brought her hoof down and grabbed his own, lifting down towards her coat. He allowed her to do this and she placed his hoof over her belly. His hoof was pressed gently against her stomach, which looked pudgier than usual. He felt something underneath his hoof, moving within her. Realization hit him when he looked into her sparkling eyes, and a pure joy spread throughout him.

She was pregnant.

Without another word, the two lowered their heads, brushing their muzzles together before pressing their foreheads against one another. Tears streamed down his cheeks as he held his position, while the tiny filly in between them hugged both of them in turn.

Hammer was so overwhelmed with joy that he didn’t realize that he had awoken from his dream, fresh tears spilling down his face. The warm touch of Silverwing faded, and the tiny filly had evaporated from his mind. He silently wept that the dream had to end so soon.

His eyes adjusted to the dark of the room, and he found it eerily quiet. He raised his head up and looked about him, wondering if she was here. He looked to her bed that was a few feet away and still empty. In fact, it hadn't been touched since he went to sleep.

She hadn’t gone to bed? he thought, feeling worry grow within him. He stood up, pushing the warmth of the bed off of him and heading outside in hopes of finding her. He exited the tent, the snow from outside crunching underhoof. He looked about the camp and saw at least two guards standing guard near the fire. He didn’t pay much attention to them, but decided to look about the camp in the hopes of finding her.

He searched around the camp, the snow caving from each step of his hooves. He felt a chill in the air, but it seemed less than what it had been hours before. He looked to the skies and saw the clouds above were sparser than before, even though there was still some snow coming down.

After five minutes of searching, he did not find any luck in her whereabouts. He then turned to the center of the camp, spotting a third figure that attended the guards. Curiosity seemed to grip him and he went over to see who it was. Once close, he saw that it was Cottontail sitting by the fire.

“How is your shoulder, Hammer?” she said, not looking his direction.

“How did you know I was out and about?” he replied, soon standing at her side.

“You’ve been walking about in search of somepony. You’ve done poorly in trying to be subtle about it,” she explained.

He gave a small chuckle. “I am searching for Silverwing. Have you seen her?” he queried.

She turned her head slightly until her eyes laid upon him. “Ah, Your captain,” she said softly and motioned her head towards the snow wall.

“You will find her on the ramparts. That is where I last saw her,” she explained.

He looked at the direction of the wall and wondered why she was there. He thanked her and quickly sped towards the location.

“Hammer, stop!” He heard her voice call to him and stopped in his tracks to look at her. Cottontail lifted herself up off the ground and walked over to him, placing a hoof onto his cheek. “Silverwing's mind is much troubled, Hammer. Be sure to choose your words with care. Maybe you can help ease her troubled heart,” she explained, patting the side of his face with her hoof in reassurance.

Hammer nodded his head in understanding, and he turned in the direction of where Silverwing would be.

He only hoped that she was still alright.

After a minute of scaling the makeshift path on the wall, he stood on top of the snow battlement. He looked about him, but the land was covered in darkness. The only light that seemed to shine was the stars above, which were covered in a veil of clouds. He looked on either side of him, searching for anypony standing on the wall. He found no sight of anypony, and he worried for her even more. A part of him believed that Silverwing wanted to be left alone, but another part of him needed to find her.

He kept walking, kept searching for any signs of her. After a thorough search on top of the walls, he spotted a figure out in the middle of the snow. He squinted his eyes and saw a cloaked figure staring away from the camp.

It was Silverwing.

A feeling of joy escaped him, and he jumped down to the ground below. He landed a little hard, the snow impacting a little from his weight. He felt a little twinge in his left shoulder, but he shook it off and moved with haste; he could deal with own wounds at a later date. He trotted towards her, kicking up snow into the air. He felt the wind pick up a little, kicking up the snow from on high a little, but he didn’t care.

All he cared was getting to her.

He slowed down until he stopped at least a dozen feet behind her. She didn’t react to him approaching, nor did she turn her head to meet him. She remained still, looking out to the mountains in the distance. The wind picked up around them, and he saw her mane blowing gently in the wind, flowing like the endless seas of grass in spring.

He swallowed a lump in his throat, his own emotions overwhelming him. Had any other stallion taken his place, they would certainly wouldn’t have gotten this far without filling the sheer emotion within him.

“Silverwing?” he asked softly, his voice carrying over in the wind.

Silverwing remained still, still staring out to the High Talon Mountains. He waited for a reply, yet nothing came out of her.

He narrowed his eyes to her and he took several steps forward, until he was about a couple yards away.

“Don’t you hear it?” Silverwing spoke. It was so quiet that he thought it was a whisper on the wind.

“What?” Hammer asked, his hooves remaining embedded in the soft snow. The cold wind around them remained for a bit, but the snowfall had lessened to a steady descent till only a few flakes would fall. Looking at Silverwing from behind, with her mane flowing naturally in the wind, she could easily be mistaken for a live painting.

“Around us, Hammer. It’s quiet,” she explained.

Hammer cast his gaze around him and indeed, he didn’t hear anything. He heard her sigh deeply, taking in her surroundings.

“It’s so quiet you can actually hear the snow fall,” she explained.

Hammer blinked, his brow raised. His eyes wandered up to the skies, the clouds having parted slightly and showing the moon high above them. He listened, emptying his mind to hear what she was hearing. Indeed he did hear it, the soft snow coming down and landing all around them. It was a simple yet beautiful sound, and it was not as distracting as the crackling fire or the storming of hooves.

It was just a simple, pure sound that surrounded them.

Silverwing sighed deeply, her breath caught in the cold night air.

“I’ve been coming out here every night to listen,” she whispered. Hammer brought his head down to look at her. He noticed she pushed her cloak over her head and it fell over onto her shoulder. He saw her sleek silver mane flowing more freely. Hammer waited, his heart rising slightly from her beautiful form.

He wouldn’t dare of thinking of that word. But no other word could compare to define her exotic nature and of her being herself.

“I’ve listened to the sound of silence around me, Hammer,” she explained, not looking back to look at him. He remained still, waiting for an opportunity to speak. For now, he just wished to hear what was on her heart.

“I’ve been out here night after night, listening and waiting. I kept thinking to myself that if I just listened closely, I could hear my brother,” she said. Her eyes almost looked on the verge of tears when she mentioned it.

Hammer took a few more steps forward, stopping just behind her. He felt he should say something, some comforting words to ease her worry, yet he remained silent.

“I thought a lot about what you said, Hammer,” she continued, her words heavy and filled with sorrow. “I yelled at you, turned you away, disparaged you when all you wanted was to help.” She turned to the head to the side, revealing her face to him, to which he found tiny streams of her tears cascading down.

“I’m sorry,” she said above a whisper. “I want you to know I’m sorry.”

“Silverwing...” Hammer said, still staying where he was.

“I’ve been so caught up in search of my brother that I neglected to put into your own feelings,” she said.

Hammer’s eyes opened slightly, yet he didn’t say anything.

“You were right. My brother could be dead for all I know. Yet in my heart I can’t shake this feeling that he is still out there, waiting to be heard, ready to go home after so long. Yet I know, even if he was dead, I still wish to get his body and give him a proper burial.”

She turned back to the mountains, her gaze fixated upon the high peaks of the mountains. Around them, the light from the moon above shown brighter on the ground, making the snow glisten.

“I just have to know. I just wish to get to him, and yet now more than ever I feel I have failed. I failed my brother, this company and even to you. The stallion who confessed to his best friend that you love me.”

“Silverwing I-” Hammer interjected, but stopped in surprise.

She paused and turned her head, her ears pointing back to him. His mouth hung open and he felt his heart skipped a beat.

Did she just- His mind went numb from her reply, and she waited patiently for his response.

Hammer had his moment, and he knew he couldn’t waste it any longer.

“Silverwing, you are not a failure. You are a far more talented pony than any other that I have met. Listen to me when I say this: you have an altruism that goes beyond those for whom you care. You’re selfless because you care. You care how everypony is, your heart just pours out kindness and your humble words are a light on the distant shore,” he said.

She remained quiet, listening yet unmoving. He took one precarious step closer, his entire being wanting nothing more then to hold her, yet he restrained himself and continued to speak with absolute conviction.

“Silverwing, you took in the Diamond Dogs when others would have left them be. You offered solutions and even settled disputes with the Cervine. You are the voice of reason, and you make the toughest decisions that no other pony would make. Your self-sacrifice for this company is admirable, but you shouldn’t sacrifice your own life just so that you can feel you are doing what’s right. What would Lieutenant Quicksilver think that his only sister is risking her own well being and body? What would happen if you were in his shoes, and the only thing on his mind was to make sure you were safe while you were locked up in a cage?

“I know in my heart that he cares for you, Silverwing! He knows that you’re safe, even when he is locked away. He knows that you're taken care of, that you are in good hooves and knows you can rely on us to help. Just like this company, like Strong Oak and his rangers, just as Brutus and his pack, and above all me! I care for you too, more than you know. Because I love you.”

His words hung in the air like a silk blanket over a bed. He drew a heavy breath and his heart raced, letting his true feelings hang in the air.

Silverwing turned her head further, her eyes finally meeting his and he saw fresh tears coming down her muzzle. He felt his heart ripped from his chest seeing her like this. She slowly turned all the way around until she stood in front of him. The light of the moon was more visible as the clouds above cleared away, and the two just stared at one another in the cold, as if they were the only living beings in the world.

Silverwing made the first move by taking a step towards him, closing the distance between them. Hammer watched as she moved, the curves of her hips moving from side to side, her hair blowing gently in the winter wind, and her vibrant eyes captivating him. Even though she looked tired and weary, her eyes still held some of the luster that made her the way she is.

He offered a smile, and his heart pounded hard in his chest, threatening to burst. Silverwing was now in front of him, her eyes still holding their brilliance to him.

She gave a tender smile.

“Thank you… Hammer. I… needed to hear….to hear that, and I do…. share...”

She unceremoniously fell into his chest.

“Silverwing?” Hammer said, albeit quite surprised. She hardly moved, and her wings hung off the side of her while standing on all fours. He placed a hoof onto her back and he looked down to her. “Silverwing are you alright?” he asked, a little apprehension in his voice. His worries were put aside when he saw her breathing normally and her eyes closed.

She was fast sleep.

Hammer looked to the air and gave a bit of a chuckle. She had spent this entire time out here, and yet she now of all times goes to sleep while standing up. He didn’t mind it either, for he knew in his heart that what he said was true and Silverwing was safe.

“C’mon, lets get you home,” Hammer said, lowering his body till he was holding her back and lifting her up onto his shoulder. He sidled her body until she laid flat on his back, her hooves and wings dangling off the side like a lazy cat. Hammer lifted himself up and began walking back to camp, the sleeping captain resting on top of his shoulders.

Once back inside the camp, the sounds of the crackling fire echoing around them and he headed towards Silverwing’s tent. He passed by the guards, who at first had looks of concern. However, they eased a little when they saw that she merely fallen into sleep. Cottontail, who remained near the fire, gave a small smile to him.

“Sleep well, Hammer,” she said, humbly bowing before him.

He smiled and nodded back to her. “Are you not going to bed?” he asked.

Cottontail chuckled and looked up to the stars above. “I will be staying up for a while longer. The stars looks peaceful this winter night,” she said.

Hammer nodded to her and he went on his way to the tent.

He entered inside, the warmth of the tent hitting him first once closing the entrance. He helped shake off the snow that accumulated on both of them, the frozen water falling to the ground below.

He moved over to her bed, gently lowering her slumbering form into the blankets. He picked up her silver head and settled it upon the warmth of the pillows. Once finished, he went over to his bed and pulled it closer to her side. He entered into the blankets and sorted them until they covered both of their bodies. He sighed with much content when the chill of winter had faded, and the warmth embraced him like an old friend.

He felt his hoof brushed and looked to Silverwing in front of him. Though she slept heavily, she narrowed behind her lidded eyes and her muzzle scrunched up a little. He couldn’t help but chuckle; it made her usually authoritative demeanor into that of an adorable sleeping filly. He lifted his hooves and wrapped them over her shoulders, pulling her sleeping form closer to him. He felt it was right, in all their time together. Here and now, he truly felt it. A warmth had entered his heart and filled the gap that was missing.

He felt whole with Silverwing at his side.

He waited a moment when he felt her lower legs pulling closer to his own, and he smiled to see that her face relaxed and a small smile gracing her sleeping form. He lowered his head in a downward fashion, letting it rest over her head. Her own head, on instinct, lowered further into him, until her head rested on his neck. He sighed with much content, and his eyes drew heavy with slumber. As he closed his eyes and sleep overcame him, he knew in his heart that he had overcome his fear that she was in danger.

He believed he would sleep soundly this night, knowing the mare he loved was safely in his hooves.


Quicksilver groaned slightly as he began to stir from his long slumber. He felt his body constrained and unusually warm. He slowly drew his eyes open and lifted his head from off the ground. His nostrils flared; a familiar smell wafted in the air. He saw the fire within the middle of the cave with a small spit of meat was hanging over it. The fire was nice and low within, burning embers and small tinder, and cascading the room in a orange and yellow hue. He looked to the exit and saw the hunched form of Lupin, who was sitting idle, and he could hear a whetstone upon a blade.

He then felt a body shift underneath his hooves, and he looked down to see Gretchen still wrapped in his hooves. He blinked as he saw it was not only her that he was holding, but a large thick blanket with heavy furs had wrapped around them.

No wonder it was so comfortable, he thought, his eyes tracing down to Gretchen’s sleeping form. Her head rested soundly against his chest, her arms lax and her wings not as protective over her front as from the night before. Her breathing was slow, and she looked very at much at peace wrapped in his embrace.

A hint of a blush plastered on his face, and he averted his eyes away from her.

So that is where your heart lies. That is good, young Quicksilver. That is good.

The words of Gregor hung around his head like a new painting on a tattered wall, and he groaned inwardly from remembering them.

I’m not attracted to her, he thought.

You didn't hesitate to wrap your hooves around her, the other side of him spoke.

He blinked in surprise by his rational side’s words and shook his head slightly.

Didn’t you say it yourself? She’s a gryphon, I’m a pony. She’s doesn't care for me.

You keep telling yourself that, the inner voice replied.

What would you know? he replied back, but the voice was silent.

He sighed and looked back to Gretchen. She had brushed her head against his chest, her feathers soft against his coat. He felt a sudden heat rush to his cheeks, and he lifted his head away. He looked back to Lupin, who still sat idly near the entrance.

He sighed and slowly unwrapped his wings off of Gretchen. They were still sore from being open for so long, but it was at the very least necessary. He lifted his hooves off her and settled the blanket over her form. She curled inward from the lack of heat, and her head rested on the blanket like a curled cat. Once out of his small confinement, he wandered over to Lupin, who had remained silent to his approach.

“Morning, Lupin,” Quicksilver said, walking over to his side.

Lupin didn't reply, but instead kept his gaze to the outside. Quicksilver eyed him with a bit of concern. Lupin looked like he didn’t get an ounce of sleep, and yet he appeared wakeful and alert of the outside. Quicksilver followed his gaze, wondering what exactly he was staring at. They were situated near a cliff base, a small path leading upward and down and with trees towering overhead. The winter storm had subsided outside, and much of the land was covered in ice and snow.

It was an eerie, yet beautiful sight to behold.

“I’m sorry,” Lupin said, so soft that Quicksilver had barely heard it.

“What?” He turned to the Diamond Dog, who had finished sharpening the blade and settled it down upon his lap.

“I want to apologize,” he repeated, his ears falling flat and his eyes cast downward.

“Whatever for? You got what you needed and more for your job,” Quicksilver explained.

Lupin shook his head, rubbing one of his arms in uncertainty. Quicksilver eyed him with worry. He did more than enough to help them during their time together, and they secured food to last them for a time. Yet he was undoubtedly acting he had done some horrid act that he had hid behind his back.

“It’s my fault you’re in this predicament. I didn’t need your help, nor needed your company,” he said, still staring out to the vast landscape.

Quicksilver didn’t follow his gaze, instead fixating on him and with a sense of uneasiness crawling into his body.

“What do you mean?” Quicksilver asked, in a tone both hesitant and demanding.

“I stole from you,” he explained.

Quicksilver eyed him, raising a brow in puzzlement over what he meant. When he didn’t reply and remained in silence, Lupin continued on with his confession.

“When I first came to that cave and I saw you two already huddled together, I was ready to toss you both off the cliff. I noticed your food sack was open, however, and I couldn’t help but indulge myself while you slept and added more wood to your dwindling fire.”

Quicksilver’s eyes widened slightly, yet he remained silent. It would explain when he woke up that the fire had not gone out during their rest.

“After eating my fill, I decided I might have killed you both while you sleep. Yet, I hesitated,” he explained, a shaky breath escaping out of him. He shook his head from some of the loose snow that stuck to him. “The way that you two held each while sleeping, it reminded me of something. Something that I had missed in my life.”

Quicksilver blushed and shook his head. “No. Gretchen and I are not a couple. We’ve reminded you plenty of times since-”

“Doesn't matter what it was,” Lupin interjected, his blue eyes tracing over to Quicksilver, who stiffened from the dog’s sudden glare. “All that matters to me is that it reminded me of one of my own that I cherished and wanted to protect. I had killed many to survive, but it was all to protect the ones I cared about. Including in that bloody pass many years ago,” he explained.

The moment he mentioned that, Quicksilver stood up and backed up a little upon realization. He finally recalled where he had heard his name.

“Mad Dog Lupin. The one who caused a riot after the Battle of the Crag. The one that killed hundreds of Cervine and Royal Guards alike.” Quicksilver said, staring at Lupin with much shock and spite.

Lupin remained staring at him, shaking his head ever so slightly, his tongue clicking as he open his mouth to speak. “I rather hated that name. I merely freed my brothers and sisters so that they could find a way out of this gods forsaken war,” he said, turning to look out to the vast wilderness before them. “There is no need to be so defensive. If I had come to be hostile, you wouldn’t be alive to speak to me now.”

He’s right, Quicksilver thought. This whole time he could have raised his sword against them, hacked them down like wheat on a field and left them to rot. Yet, despite the sudden awareness of the Diamond Dog’s true identity, he couldn’t help but feel the need to listen. He sat on his haunches, yet still kept himself fully ready in the case he acted against him.

“I decided to leave you be and waited until you both woke up. After your argument with each other is when I introduced myself to you both,” Lupin explained, his head lowered and tracing a paw over his sword. “I suggested the idea of the boars, yet I knew that I could easily dispatch them. I’ve hunted in the mountains for many months and knew where they would go and where they would be. In any case, I was going to use you both for bait while getting the kills I needed.” Lupin drew a paw to his face, brushing against his cheek and face and wiping away the weariness over his eyes.

“I would test what I wanted and easily kill two birds with one stone, yet I was not prepared for the blood wolves to arrive. I expected them, yes, but not as soon as I wanted. When you and Gretchen fled, and you helped drag her out of the icy waters, I couldn’t commit and instead deterred the beasts away.”

Quicksilver eyed him and recalled the sound of thunder the moment he had grabbed Gretchen and was pulling her up. He looked at Lupin who looked pitiful, if not remorseful. He felt pity grew in him, yet at the same time he felt resentment to him over what had befell the Cervine and fellow guards.

He had a few friends that he grew up with who’d died in that pass.

“What weapon did you use?” Quicksilver asked, cutting straight to what Lupin was referring.

Lupin eyed him and inclined his head. He brought his right paw down, pulling up a long object from his side and presenting it to him.

Quicksilver couldn’t make heads or tails at what he saw.

The ‘weapon’ that Lupin held was the length of Lupin’s arm. It had a wooden base at the bottom, with a metal barrel on the top. On one end, it had a hole that widened outward, while the other end held what appeared some sort mechanisms of iron and some machination that he could not describe. On the end of the strange mechanism was a match that look burnt on the end.

“What… what is this?” Quicksilver asked, marveling at the strange weapon, but having a shaky fear crawl up his spine.

“It’s called a matchlock. Invented by Gryphon’s design not long ago,” he replied.

Quicksilver's eyes widened and he stood back up and looked at the weapon.

The gryphons had invented a new kind of weapon!? Quicksilver thought, his mind already a swarm of questions of how many of these things are there and what devastating consequences would follow if a company of Gryphons had these.

They wouldn’t stand a chance if they tried to meet them head on.

“I can see from your reaction that you’re not wanting to curry any favors with Gryphons,” Lupin chuckled, settling the weapon back down onto his lap. “I was told not only to hunt for the boars, but to test their weapon of war. It has.... surprising results,” he explained, placing a paw over the matchlock.

“It has a trigger that makes the flint here move forward, igniting the powder within, then with much speed as phoenix and the power of a manticore's swipe, it can pierce through armor and heavy shields with ease. Even if you were wearing the thickest armor, you could feel the impact sending you to the ground,” he explained, seizing the weapon, lifting himself up from the cold ground and heading towards his pack.

Quicksilver eyed him as he placed the weapon inside his pack. A small sense of relief escaped past his lips, while a cold dread of fear remained over the weapon and what it can do. Lupin grabbed the pack and hoisted it up onto his shoulders, a purpose driving through him when he headed for the exit.

“Wait, what are you doing?” Quicksilver asked, stepping towards the exit.

Lupin paused, lowering down to pick up his sword and sheathing it in the scabbard.

“Quicksilver, my life has been filled with hardship. There are similar views, but many differences in our lives. Your life, as far as I see, is far better living then my own wretched life. I commit heinous acts, yet in doing so, it is to help the ones I care for the most. For the barbaric acts that I committed, it was all in defense of my people and freeing them. I still have lives that I care for now, even when others would see me in a bad light,” he explained, finishing putting on his gear and looking out to the wilderness outside.

“Let me ask you, Quicksilver. When you have the chance to run away and escape a hell that wishes to consume you, are you willing to take that chance? Are you willing to put yourself over others, or are you willing to take a risk and save as many of your brethren out of the same situation? Are you prepared to go all the way in your commitment in serving your kind with honor and distinction? If that be the case, you will find that your life will be far more filling and worthy of living, then that of a coward’s life. As mine has.”

Quicksilver remained silent, lost to his thoughts. Lupin sighed and adjusted his gear before turning to look at him once more.

“I’m leaving that blanket for your use, and I left a few supplies that will last you for a time with your rucksack. I pray for your future endeavors, Quicksilver. Also, I fear that the next time we meet, I will have to fight you. I dearly hope that does not happen,” he said, emphasizing the last few words with great care and began heading outside.

Quicksilver went forward, stopping in front of the Diamond Dog and blocking his path.

“Lupin, I still don’t understand. After all, that you’ve said and done...I just… I just can’t…” He couldn’t finish his words, nor comprehend everything that he had heard.

His mind was still reeling from the discovery of the weapon. Lupin was also the sworn enemy to the Cervine and Equestians alike. Yet, despite what he did, he had saved their lives. He grimaced at the thought.

Lupin noticed his inner turmoil and gave a soft smile to him, his jowls lifting up to a toothy grin.

“You have a good heart, Quicksilver,” he said, placing his right paw over Quicksilver’s left shoulder. He looked up at the Diamond Dog, a sense of pride seemed to radiate off of him. A familiar presence seemed to overwhelm him as well, reminding him of an old friend from long ago who had helped him and his sister in their dire need. His early misgivings and animosity to the Diamond Dog melted away like the snow to a blaze.

“With a good heart and good intentions, you can sway even those most stubborn of fools. Including her.” He gestured to Gretchen, who slept silently in the corner. Quicksilver eyed her, his heart twinging slightly by how much Lupin’s words hit true. “Be her shield, Quicksilver. Live with honor and glory that is in service to others and not of yourself. No matter how dire the battle, you should never forsake them. Become selfless to those who are not below you or above you, but as an equal.”

The words of wisdom poured out to him and Quicksilver took in each word that he spoke. Lupin smiled at him, patting his shoulder in reassurance.

“Farewell, Quicksilver,” he said, lifting his paw to give Quicksilver’s mane a rub and heading outside. Quicksilver followed the Diamond Dog’s gaze, as the dog went to a tree and tugged on a small rope. The bodies of four of the boars fell haphazardly onto the ground, yet Lupin didn’t mind at all, and he carried them onto his shoulders with ease. He then began walking into the snow, leaving Quicksilver and Gretchen within the cave. Quicksilver kept track of him until his body disappeared in the fog and snow and the Mad Dog… no…. Lupin was gone from his sight.

Quicksilver fell onto his haunches. An overwhelming unease was lifted off of him and he shuddered considerably.

For he, even with his painful past, had truly met a noble warrior.

Author's Note:

Thank you all so much for seeing this next chapter. Next chapter will have to wait I'm afraid, for there is an art piece that needs to be made, and I am willing to wait. Please tell me of your thoughts down below and I'll see you all again soon.

Art for this chapter was done by Neko-me. Please do go check out his work, for I think it truly deserves more attention.
https://www.deviantart.com/neko-me/art/You-are-safe-now-763852684