• Published 20th Apr 2016
  • 2,028 Views, 259 Comments

Where The Heart Lies - Broman



Quicksilver, a pegasus guard, is captive under the gryphons. He now must survive in an gryphon encampment but at the same time learns about their reasons behind the war.

  • ...
4
 259
 2,028

The Long Road and the Arch Gryphon

Silverwing cast her gaze over the vast plains. The morning sun had risen over the mountains, its light basking their encampment with warmth. The snow reflected the light somewhat, making it hard to see, but it wouldn’t be long until the storm clouds would come again and blot out the sun’s rays. Silverwing took a breath and let out a sigh.

It had been a grueling ten days since they left Prancy, and thirteen days since she began her search for her brother. They had trudged through the bitter cold, and stood fast against the raging winter tempest.

The sight of hundreds of Diamond Dogs that laid dead in that pass more than unnerved them. The only survivor of the attack was a Diamond Dog known as Brutus. He was so overcome with strife and his spirit crushed so firmly that he could not describe them. He had been under their care and they had buried the dead. It cost time, but it was for the best.

They did not know who was responsible, but one thing was for certain: there was something more dangerous than griffons to worry about.

“Commander Silverwing,” Shadow Hunter’s voice spoke out, startling her a little. She turned to the old veteran and saw that he had on his gear, ready to move out.

“Sorry, Shadow Hunter. I didn’t hear you,” she said, adjusting herself to speak with him.

The old veteran raised a bushy eyebrow to her. “I’ve called you three times to get your attention,” he explained. Silverwing blinked in surprise and slight embarrassment.

“Forgive me for prying,” Shadow Hunter added, “but you seem distant of late. Ever since we’ve left the pass, you’ve barely spoken with any of your guards.”

His words rang true and Silverwing could not ignore it. She lowered her head and flattened her ears. “I never meant to ignore anyone in this company. I’ve just been... distant of late,” she meekly explained.

“Indeed. I know I don’t have to remind you of your duties to your guards. However, it’s more important for the commander to be in the best health to lead us.”

“I understand, Shadow Hunter. This won’t happen again, I promise,” she said, as Shadow Hunter nodded. Thinking for a moment, she quickly added, “What is the current state of the company?”

Shadow Hunter cleared his throat. “Well, the Royal Guard have been gathering supplies from the foliage, and have gathered stock. The cervine are doing rather well for themselves. Foraging berries and gathering water for our supplies. We still have plenty of provisions to last us for six weeks, even longer than we had anticipated for this trip. The royal guards moral is still relatively high, but they are concerned of the events that took place the few days prior. There is also to account the Diamond Dog Brutus, who seems to make the others nervous for continuously clacking his beads together in his paws.”

“Can hardly blame him. He lost his entire pack,” Silverwing said.

“That may be true, but they are on edge around him. You don’t even have him bound.”

“It is necessary for him to have his space. What he has been through more then shows that there are other forces at work. He won’t be a threat to us, I assure you.”

“I hope you’re correct,” Shadow Hunter said, looking off towards the direction of the camp. Many of the guards had put away the tents and began to march once again.

“How is the state of your ponies, Shadow Hunter? How are their spirits?” she asked.

He gave a tired sigh. “They are holding up. Some miss their families, but they all know that if we don’t push the griffons out of our lands, then we’ll never find peace.” She gave a sympathetic nod. She wasn't the only one who missed their family. She turned toward plains before them, with the mountains in the far distance.

“How long until we reach the High Talon Mountains?” she asked, her gaze still focused at the high peaks.

Shadow Hunter also glanced out to the distant heights. “I’ve been through these parts before. For us who walk on land, if there was no snow, it would take us roughly a week to reach the mountains. If I were a pegasus or a griffon, it would take us less than two to three days to reach the mountains, if you continued with little to no stops. Adding in that factor, and depending on if the weather holds, we could reach in at least a fortnight, maybe longer,” he said.

“What is out there, Shadow Hunter? Will there be any protection for us if the storms get worse?” she asked. A hint of worry came over her at thought of the weather might slow them down. She eyed the old veteran, who, to her dismay, nodded his head.

“It is only the plains and fields from here on out. There might be a few farm houses or villages between us and the mountains. However, they might be ruins for all I know.”

Silverwing looked to the ground and began to ponder. The faster they moved, the quicker they’d get to the mountains. However, the storms would likely pick up in the coming weeks, possibly sooner, and it would be hazardous to keep moving in the storm. She doubted the Equestrian Army had the time to handle the weather, and she had too few fliers that could control the weather or deter it from its path for the time being. The best option was to brave the coming storms and continue on, seeking shelter or hunkering down for the long night. She closed her eyes and began to imagine the possibilities.

But all she could think about was her brother. Quicksilver, and Hammer.

She shook her head from the last thought, knocking off some light snow from her shoulders, and began to move back toward the camp.

“Get the company ready within the hour. We’ll be leaving soon,” she explained as she continued on her path. Shadow Hunter nodded and went off to gather the troops.

Silverwing walked across the former camp and looked around. She could tell that, for the most part, the soldiers still had high spirits. However, there were a few exceptions. As she moved through, she spotted several guards having downturned expressions. They had worried looks, and some were staring off to the distance. When she moved close, they would look and nod to her in approval, but whenever she passed by them they would return to their saddened state. She felt an uneasiness within her. She would need to ensure that they still had faith in the mission and would not lose heart.

“Captain Silverwing,” she heard Anvil say. She turned to greet him and saw that he had two others by his side.

“Hello Anvil, Heavy Blitz, Crimson Wing. What do you ask of me?” The three gave a quick salute before Anvil came forward to speak.

“Captain. I know this will be blunt, but how is Hammer? We know he is under your care, but we just wish to know: Is he alright?” he asked, his voice showing concern. She looked back at the other two guards, who shared equal looks concern. With a calm and collected breath, she gave her reply.

“Hammer is still sleeping. He has not awoken since the surgery, but his body is resting. Don’t you worry; he may be injured, but that will not stop him from serving us.”

Heavy Blitz stepped forward. “Thank you, Captain. It’s just... he’s our best friend. He’s always been there, even when we don’t expect him to be.”.

“Always there to pick us back up when we need him to,” Crimson Wing added.

“Please, Captain, if there is anything that comes up, please do let us know,” Anvil finished.

She nodded in approval. “Don’t worry, you three will be the first to know when he wakes. Now please, we’ll be leaving soon, so get yourself ready. ” The three soon left, and she took notice that her words eased their conscious. She then proceeded to one of the wagons, knowing all too well what lied within. When she was close, she raised a hoof toward one of the steps.

She paused for a moment, hesitant to climb in.

A small feeling stirred within her breast; faint, but noticeable. When she neared closer to the wooden frame, her chest tightened ever so slightly. She wondered if it was the horrors of the days prior, or maybe when Hammer was wounded.

But she knew, as much she tried to ignore it, that it was the words that he had spoken the other day that caused her so much unease. Shaking off this feeling and steeling her nerve, she took the first step up the wagon and peered inside.

There, in the middle of the wagon, Hammer rested underneath a thick blanket. He was breathing slow and heavy, his chest lifting up and down underneath the sheets. He was placed on the end of the wagon, where most of the other supplies were stored, but weren’t close enough to disturb his sleep.

Silverwing entered, climbing over a few crates of provisions and blankets as she went toward him. There was only enough space for two ponies at the very least, so she had to make due. Once she was close enough, she sat down next to him.

There were a number of things she wanted to say, but nothing would come out. Her voice caught in her throat whenever she tried to speak. She wanted to say something, anything, but she could not do so. She had so many emotions running in her mind now.

But they were all, for the moment, focused on him.

Her body had shuddered when he said those words. Those words that she did not expect.

Silverwing wanted to say something in return, but could not give her answer. She could only stare at the stallion before her, watching his breath in the cold air. She lifted a hoof towards him and placed it on the blanket near his wounded shoulder. She lifted the fabric and saw the bandages, covering the entirety of his shoulder and wrapped around his chest. The quick work from Cottontail helped ensure that he kept his shoulder, as well as his ability to walk.

However, there were complications in the healing.

Due to his resistance to the drug at first, it made his body even weaker and the milk from the poppy had slipped him into unconsciousness. For the past three days, he had not stirred from his rest and had not partaken of any food or water. Since that time, Silverwing was worried that he had lost his life from the loss of blood or because the drug was too strong. Cottontail reassured her that he would be fine, but she explained that he had to rely on his own strength to overcome his injuries.

Silverwing drew a breath and held it for a few seconds before breathing out again. She calmly placed the blanket back over his body. She then drew a hoof and brushed some of his blue mane out of his face and held it there. He was still breathing, still in a peaceful slumber. She noticed him stir every now and then from her touch, but he would never awake. She hoped and prayed to the Regal Sisters and the Goddess above that he may be alright.

Oh Hammer, she thought, continuing to stroke his cheek with her hoof. She repeated the motion several times, letting her mind wander as she continued to stare at him.

Why did you have to go and say that? Why did you say that you were in love with me?

Her thoughts continued as she lifted her hoof back and sat up. She turned her ear back and began hearing the company preparing to move out. She kept her gaze upon Hammer as he continued to sleep.

Why couldn't you have waited until this war was over?

The last of her thoughts soon left her as she headed outside and prepared for the long march across the plains. She looked out and saw the heavy clouds surrounding the mountains in the distance. As she stared, a cold wind blew itself across her face, and she felt a sudden chill crawl through her body.

Winter’s wrath had barely begun.

***

Quicksilver watched as General Quill made his entrance. He had a commanding authority as he stood tall, even to his own soldiers.

It was funny to Quicksilver, in a way: he never thought he would see this gryphon in the flesh. He heard the tales, his successes and his accomplishments in battle. The tales of this gryphon were the stuff of legend. To see him here and now, he might as well be either dreaming or dead.

The latter being the most likely.

As he stared at the general, he saw both Gretchen and Ebon make their way forward and stand before him. The general moved forward and stared at the both of them, observing the two as if he was looking at prized cattle. Then, the general smiled.

“It’s good to see you two, my little niece and nephew,” General Quill said in a deep and relaxed voice. As if on command, both siblings moved forward and embraced the general.

This was the last thing that Quicksilver had expected.

Quicksilver watched astonished as the two held their uncle in a tight embrace, both having a look of happiness on each of their faces. Around him, the other Royal gryphons looked on with happy expressions. Only a few of the Nomad gryphons held some small contempt, (though they were wise enough to not show it directly).

“It’s good to see you well, uncle,” Gretchen said, her smile never wavering.

“How was your trip, uncle Quill? Ebon asked. “Is everything alright back at Gryphonstone?”

“Peace, my nephew. Your answers will come in time,” he said. Quicksilver cocked his head slightly. The general’s voice sounded rumbling and grating, yet it had a deep commanding presence in it as well. His accent also had a Prench sound to it; it was faint, but noticeable.

The general looked about the surrounding warriors. “My soldiers are overburdened and must rest. Let us prepare a feast for us all,” he said, waving a claw to all of the gryphons. Some began to cheer enthusiastically, but Ebon was quick to respond back.

“Our hunting parties have not returned yet. They should arrive by tomorrow and then we can prepare for the festivities.”

General Quill gave a soft chuckle. “Fair enough. We shall delay having one until they make their return,” he said, looking back up to the the entrance of the cave above. “Tis late. Let us retire then, Ebon. We have much to discuss.” He began heading off to the center of camp, followed closely behind by a few of his personal guard. Ebon and Gretchen moved as well, leading him further into camp.

“I guess I’m not going to be apart of this.” Quicksilver said, turning to leave.

A swift claw wrapped around his neck, and he was jerked to the side by his silent guard, his face held close against the stainless armor. He tried moving his head, but the gryphons grip was solid and he would not move. He looked up to see the mute gryphon eyeing him, a knowing look in his eye. Either he knew that Quicksilver was too weak to free himself, or he liked watching his prey struggle. Whatever the case, he didn’t show any aggression, only ensuring that Quicksilver could not escape. He then began moving, dragging Quicksilver along with him by his neck and following the entourage of troops.

“Alright, lead the way, Warden,” Quicksilver said nonchalantly as his guard ‘escorted’ him.

His journey lasted only a few minutes, as General Quill was lead by his niece and nephew only a short distance toward the center tent. Quicksilver kept his eyes forward as he was ushered by Warden. He didn’t know why he started thinking that name, but it seemed to suit his unspeaking guard.

As he moved, he saw that many of the new arrivals began to disperse among the camp, meeting with fellow companions or setting their own tents within the camp interior. Each tent had a variety of colors, and the gryphons themselves had different crests on each of their armor. He recalled from Gretchen that many of the clans had separate families or larger houses that were distinguishable by these crests. There were many different kinds of crests, but the most he saw was of the gryphon claw, the same as General Quill’s.

Sadly, he didn’t have much time to look at the rest before they reached their destination. Quicksilver watched as the general entered Ebon’s tent. Both Ebon and Gretchen followed in, along with a couple of other gryphons. Quicksilver struggled lightly as he moved closer, but Warden casually carried him inside the tent and without much resistance.

Once inside, he saw General Quill was conversing with two other gryphons. One gryphon he recognized as Deadeye. He carried himself with pride as he spoke with the general, a hint of excitement spread on his countenance, and General Quill was happy to engage with him. The other gryphon was entirely new. The new Gryphon had a brown coat with deep black feathers and white on the tips. His attire was a long white robe with a brown belt around his waist. Around his neck lay a necklace with small diamond-like crystals, each varying in size and shape. He looked something similar to a priest back in Equestria, for he carried a book in his left claw and a small staff in the other. He looked out and about the tent, his manner almost resembling that of a curious child. His eyes wandered until his gaze settled on Quicksilver. His eyes widened and a small smile spread across his beak.

“Oh my,” the black gryphon said in soothing voice, moving towards Quicksilver and fumbling somewhat with the things in his claws. He looked more to be suited in some library then out in an encampment. The gryphon stood in front of him, and he felt the pressure release around his neck as Warden straightened him up. As soon as he was standing straight, the black gryphon settled his staff to the ground and unfolded his book, flipping many pages until it went to a blank space. Then he brought a quill and began writing at a fast pace.

“This is a first for seeing a pegasus in the flesh. Oh, this is fascinating,” he said, scribbling down more words into the book. Quicksilver’s eyes widened slightly, his brow raised as the prying gryphon walked about and inspected him. He felt like he was being observed by a rich farmer, and that he was the prized stock.

The gryphon began to write more into his book. “Muscle density appears healthy. Can’t say for the multiple bruises, most likely from mistreatment. Physical features are toned, but is appears to have lost weight. Likely due to diet and malnutrition.” The gryphon paused in his writing into his book then went to Quiksilver's side, inspecting his wounded wing by placing a claw onto it. Quicksilver watched anxiously as the gryphon lifted the wing outward, thankful that he was holding the wing in a delicate manner. The gryphon’s eyes widened and shook his head, his tongue clicking with his teeth.

“Oh, what a mess. I was hoping this pegasus could fly. I would have loved to study how its flight patterns would compare to a gryphon’s caliber. Tell me, who was it?” he said, turning his attention directly at Quicksilver, who was still trying to comprehend it all. “Who was the brute that ruined your perfectly natural wings?”

Quicksilver blinked a couple times. The gryphon was fastidious to know of his condition, he could tell. Indeed, Quicksilver could tell that he was more scholarly than he appeared to be, but was more zealous in his work. That worried him to no end as the gryphon waited for an answer. Before he could reply, he heard Gretchen speak up.

“It was that wretched Colonel that did it. The fletching nearly lost his wing from being trampled by him,” she explained.

The black gryphon was exasperated. “Why, that intolerable low life gryphon!” he hissed, his face contorting in anger. “That gryphon knows nothing but barbarity and contempt for his enemies. Honor is nothing but optional. It burns my feathers that he would treat such a fine and noble creature in such a way.”

Quicksilver eyed him in mixed confusion, uncertain as to how this gryphon perceived him. One moment, he’d be praised and then the other he would be something lower then them.

This was one gryphon that he didn’t know what to make of.

“Peace, Felix. You can do your study and rantings at a later time,” the General said, his voice calm and collected.

Felix turned to him with a humble bow. “I’m sorry, my liege, I just can’t help it. The call of science and enlightenment summoned me here, and I must study every component and aspect of my surroundings, including this pegasus here,” he said in a flamboyant tone. The General gave a soft chuckle as he waved him off. Felix, taking notice, chuckled along with him.

“Very well, my liege. I shall silently observe from afar with great interest,” he said as he shuffled to the side of the room and settled himself on a small chair nearby. Quicksilver couldn’t tell if he should be grateful or worried that he was gone.

“Forgive my friend, pegasus. Felix is a young acolyte of Saint Gregor. His heart is in the right place, but his mind does tend to wander,” he said in his rumbling voice, earning a sarcastic laugh from Felix.

Quicksilver looked over in surprise. Felix was an Arch Gryphon! He’d never seen one before, so he had taken some time to recognize the garb. He looked at him for a moment, almost taking new interest as to what background that he had come from. Felix, taking notice of his staring, began writing in his book. Quicksilver soon turned back, only to realize that every Gryphon was eyeing him, including the General.

“Tell me, pegasus. Where are you from?” he asked, waiting for an answer. Quicksilver blinked a few times. The General of the gryphon armies, the head of the gryphon empire’s elite, was speaking to him in a relaxed conversation. He looked about the room, searching for somegryphon to speak for him, but both Ebon and Gretchen did not speak their minds.

General Quill raised an eyebrow as Quicksilver didn’t respond and the gryphon leaned forward on his desk, the old wood creaking as he moved.

“You don’t have to be silent, my friend. I’ve seen much over my many years of service, and plenty of fighting in my lifetime. But never once did I have time to stop to have idle conversation with an enemy. So please. Tell me about yourself,” he asked again.

Quicksilver looked about the room another time. He took a deep breath to calm his nerves and stared back at the general.

“Well, I don’t think there is much you should know about me... but I do know a lot about you, sir,” he replied.

The old general lifting a brow at him. “Oh? Then enlighten me,” he replied, his emotion unreadable by his grating voice. He was certainly interested in Quicksilver, so he had to make the most of it.

“Well, for starters, I know that you’re the general of the gryphon armies. However, there is much more to it than just a title,” he explained as the old general to continued to watch him. Off on the side, he could hear the scraping of the quill on parchment by Felix. “Your real name is known as Falke DuGalle Quill. You have skill with a blade and are a fearsome warrior, known for your ferocity at the battle of Silver Road near our borders during the early years of the war.” As he spoke, he notice the general lift one of his sharp brows, certainly impressed by his knowledge. “However, you're not only skilled as a warrior, but as a diplomat as well. My people know of the alliance you created with the Diamond Dogs. But on top of that, your actions at the siege of Castle High Tower, near the Prance border, where you managed to convince an entire garrison of several thousands to lay down their arms instead of fighting a force of ten thousand gryphons.” He stood tall and bowed his head toward the general. “That deserves the utmost respect, sir.”

“Most impressive, young pegasus,” General Quill said, a smile present on his face. Quicksilver looked about the room and saw some mixed expressions among the crowd. Gretchen’s jaw hung slightly as he told her uncle’s history. Felix’s quill had stopped midway through his speech, his eyes glazed over in both wonder and excitement, before returning back to the book. Both Ebon and Deadeye gave only raised eyebrows at him for his knowledge. Warden only stood silent, uninterested in whatever he had to say.

“However, though I commend you for your wisdom of my past, I asked to hear of your past. Mine is full of too many bad memories, some of which I do not like to recall. Although, there are other such things I still am particularly fond of,” he said, casting his eyes to the other gryphons in the room, keeping his gaze the longest on his niece and nephew, whom shared a small smile with him. “Even so,” he continued, drawing his gaze back to Quicksilver and his brow tightened, “we gryphons tend to grumble from time to time, particularly when we don’t hear what we want to hear,” he explained, his claws resting under his chin and awaiting for him to speak once again.

Quicksilver felt a sudden chill crawl up his spine. In the back of his mind, he felt he had insulted him in some way, but another part of him believed that he had reopened old wounds from the general’s past. Whatever it was, he was anticipating an answer, and Quicksilver had to reciprocate soon. He turned to Gretchen, looking for an answer that might help him in this predicament. She remained silent, only gesturing her eyes towards General Quill. With a deep sigh, he turned back to the general and lowered his head.

“Forgive me, General. I did not mean to impose or say anything that was out of line.” He paused, letting the words reach the general. The latter said nothing, only waiting for his proper answer. He didn’t appear to be angry, but the tone from his voice earlier suggested that he was speaking in a serious tone and manner. He was intimidating, to say the least.

“Well, I started in a small village just on the outskirts of Canterlot. My father, Silver Star, and mother, Rose Blade, worked on the weather patrols and farms in the the surrounding villages. My sister Silverwing and I lived our daily lives without a care in the world. But everything changed when the day of reckoning came, and when both King Solaris and Prince Osiris were killed by Ravenclaw.” He paused, gathering his thoughts. He noticed that General Quill’s brow had unfurled and that he had a relaxed expression. Quicksilver wasn’t sure if he was taking interest in his history, but at least he was no longer bearing any annoyance or irritation from before.

“When the war came, our village was among the first to go. After we escaped, we had to make a choice in cowering behind a wall or take the fight to your empire. My parents were braver than that. As soon as the attack started, my mother joined the war effort while my father served in the armed forces. He only lasted two years before he was killed. My mother died a year later from the pox, and both my sister and I become orphans.”

“Excuse me, pegasus,” Felix’s voice entered and he turned to see that the arch gryphon had stopped his writing. “How old would you say you were at this time?”

“I was five when the war began. I was eight when we became orphans,” he replied without missing a beat, causing the arch gryphon to stir. He blinked a few times, likely stunned by some realization before returning back to the book, albeit more slowly than before. He turned back to the general and looked for any signs of emotion from him. He didn’t have any, though he might be thinking of something else or contemplating his words. To his right, however, he could see Gretchen staring at him, her eyes widened slightly. Though she may not outright tell him, he could see that she had pity for him.

“Both Silverwing and I didn’t have any immediate family to claim us, so we grew up in the orphanage in Canterlot, living our daily lives as many of the scarred citizens of the city. After my parents death, I didn’t know what to do and I was… well, broken. As the years went by and the war only grew worse, I started to believe that there was no hope. We both just kept on living, still surviving this wretched war even when it was at our doorstep. When my sister was thirteen, she came to me and said that she was done with hiding, done with sitting around and doing nothing. So she confided in me to be better, to be more than what I am and to ensure that we could have a better future. That’s what convinced me, and that is what made me see.”

“See what, if I may ask?” Ebon interrupted, looking almost riveted by the story.

“She reminded me of what our parents did when there was still peace. She reminded me why they always helped others and why they cared for the community. That the people we helped were our family. Our community was our family, a large one at that, and that we always worked together to solve the problems that surrounded us. Without them, we would be nothing. Without that sense of family, we would be just random strangers who would only look after themselves. It was because of that that I knew that I could help others in the same way. I got out of my funk and both of us began to train, training everyday so that we may be able to join the army.

“I was only twelve at the time when I grew my confidence again, and after training ourselves, we soon went to join the army. I was eighteen at the time and my sister was just a year older. We both got in and began to rise in the ranks within the first few years. I became a Sgt. at age twenty, and she was already a lieutenant at the age of twenty-one, the youngest and fastest to ever achieve such a feat. Five years later, I reached the rank of Lieutenant and became a leader under the Thunder and Lighting Division in the Equestrian Army, while she became a co-captain under the royal guard and lead the campaign into Prance.” He paused, taking a breath as a small shudder coursed through him from these remembrances.

“Twenty years since this war started and we still keep fighting, still keep killing, but I have a goal: that what I do may make a difference in keeping the people I know safe. My family has a stubborn side, and we refuse to give in. Guess I have it in me as well.” He finished, taking a deep breath as the recent memories ran through his mind. He looked up to see that General Quill has not moved from his last position, still resting his elbows on the desk and his claws underneath his chin. Quicksilver’s ears fell flat and he felt that he may have bored the general. He went to speak again when General Quill moved, lifting a claw up stopping him from speaking.

“You can stop now, boy. I’ve heard enough,” he said, lowering his claws back down until they clacked on the surface. He sighed a deep sigh, one showing the tiredness from a long travel. The older gryphon lifted his head to the other gryphons in the room. “I would like to retire this night. I‘ve had a long flight and my old bones are weary. We can discuss more upon the morrow,” he said, and soon the other gryphons began to depart. Sensing that he was no longer needed, Quicksilver began to turn to depart.

“Hold, young pegasus,” the general said in his aged and commanding voice. Quicksilver turned to face him, and noticed that he was not the only one who stirred, for both Gretchen and Ebon looked at their uncle. General Quill sat up from his chair, his arms outstretched on the table, and Quicksilver noticed a small hint of a smile present on his face.

“I am intrigued,” General Quill said. A smile grew on his countenance, revealing his long teeth. “This has been quite an interesting narrative between us. Let us hope we’ll both find the time to discuss this further.” He finished with a deep laugh, his rumbling voice still being heard as he chuckled. “Now if you would take leave, I have other matters to discuss.” He then gave a humble nod before returning to his seat, and Ebon and Gretchen went to his side.

Quicksilver’s ears twitched in surprise. There were many things about this general he still didn’t know about. But, at the very least, he was the complete opposite of Colonel Sharp Beak.

“Oh, fletching, when I’m done, I will get you food, so wait at the tent if you would,” Gretchen said before beginning to converse with her uncle. Quicksilver gave a quick nod before heading out the tent, the idle chatter between the family fading as he made his way out. Once outside, he noticed several more tents set up and several of the new gryphons beginning to take their rest for the night. He also noticed nearby that the minotaurs were cleaning their wounds and having their low chatter, spoken in a tongue that he did not understand. Around him, most of the gryphons were already finishing their supper and going about the camp to their stations or off to bed.

How long have I been in there? he pondered. He heard a low grunt from his left, making him look up at his silent bodyguard. His eyes were half open, but they remained ever vigilant on him.

“I guess I can’t escort myself back to the tent?” Quicksilver asked, only getting a grunt reply from Warden. It seemed no matter what he would do or say, he would never get this obsidian gryphon to speak. “Guess I’ll get walking then,” he said. With that, he began heading in the direction of Gretchen's tent, his mute guard ever present at this side.

Quicksilver marched back through the maze of tents, passing by the great bonfire in the center of the camp. He passed by the rugged nomads gryphons as they mingled among themselves and the few noble gryphons were standing at attention at their post. As he moved, Quicksilver took notice of how hushed the Nomad gryphons were. Either they didn’t like the general or something else was on their minds. Whatever it was, it had to wait for another day. He soon neared the end of the sea of tents and saw the lone tent upon the hill. He made his way for it, eager to rest his bones from the work. As he moved, he noticed something was off: he didn’t hear the crunching of snow behind him.

He paused, turning around and waiting to see if Warden was behind him.

He was not.

He looked around the other sides of the tents that surrounded him, yet he did not find the elusive guard. He swallowed the lump in his throat; he had hoped that he would be near, in case the Nomads tried do anything to him. Just as it seemed he was truly alone, he felt a tug on right wing and he quickly looked to see if it was Warden.

What surprised him, instead was a tiny thestral colt with a light gray coat, dark blue mane and his golden slitted eyes staring up at him. He recognized the colt from the other day, when he had saved him from the corpulent nomad. He was awfully quiet; Quicksilver didn’t even know how he was able to sneak up on him. The little thestral beamed up at him, revealing a small toothy smile.

“Nuit Ami,(Night friend.)” the thestral said, speaking in surprising Prench. The colt then lifted himself and hugged his left side, right below his wounded wing. Quicksilver winced slightly, but he bore through the pain as the young thestral continued to hold him. It only lasted for a few moments before the young colt left his side. The colt looked from side to side, almost checking if there was anypony in sight. Then, he quickly placed something on Quicksilver’s chest and he held the item with his right wing. Before Quicksilver could reply, the young colt took off and disappeared behind the tents. Quicksilver looked down and inspected what the colt gave him.

A stone? he thought. It was an-almost round object, but one end pointing out then it should. It was a deep blue color and it reflected in the torches nearby. Upon further inspection, he saw a symbol on the inside. A crescent moon with a slitted eye staring back. He didn’t know what significance this was, but it was obvious that colt wanted him to have it. Before he could think on the matter further, he heard the crunching of snow behind him. He quickly got the stone in his right wing and turned to see who it was.

It was his silent guard.

“Now where have you been? I thought you were going to escort me?” he said, trying to act as if nothing had happen. Warden, as Quicksilver refers him to, said nothing. He moved next to Quicksilver's side and nudged him with his halberd.

“Alright Warden, lead the way.” Quicksilver said, earning a rough grunt from Warden. As he kept moving through the snow and up the hill, his thoughts went back to the young thestral. He hadn't interacted with the thestrals since his punishment, nor had they approached him afterward. He began to question if they had something planned or they were doing this out of good faith. The stone could mean anything at this point but he could not dwell on the details. Whatever rituals or practices that the thestrals had was beyond him. However, what surprised him the most was what the little one had said and his words continue to echo in his mind.

Night Friend. What could that mean?

Author's Note:

Quicksilver's history is revealed and Silverwing worries for the path ahead. What will befall them in the coming days? Tune in next time to find out more.

I know it's been awhile since the last chapter but I hope this makes up for it. I will have more chapters soon and I hope you will enjoy them. Please leave a comment on what you think and I will get back with you soon.

~Broman

Artwork is done by the talented Lupiarts. Do go check his artwork out!