• Published 4th Aug 2016
  • 8,189 Views, 666 Comments

Sunset Vs. - MythrilMoth



Sunset Shimmer rages over everyday annoyances...and the occasional inexplicably weird thing that should not be.

  • ...
35
 666
 8,189

Sunset Vs. Monday

Author's Note:

Welcome to Sunset Vs.!

If you're familiar with Dan Vs., this isn't going to be exactly like that. No skyward screams, fewer overcomplicated revenge plots. Probably. Don't be surprised if there's some comedic sociopathy, of course.

Of course, Sunset isn't Dan, so that's to be expected.

Two notes for this chapter:
* There's a cameo character you might recognize. He'll be showing up from time to time.
* The phone number mentioned in this chapter is not, to my knowledge, a real number. If you match it to the keys on your phone, you should be able to puzzle out the gag.

I hope you enjoy this inaugural chapter of Sunset Vs.!

The first day of August was a hot, sticky Monday in Canterlot. Sunset Shimmer awoke a half hour past sunrise with the thin tank top she wore to bed plastered uncomfortably to her body. She took a sniff and let out a groan of disgust, then peeled herself out of the bed, scrubbing her hands through her hair.

Her phone started ringing. Scowling at the bedside table, she picked it up. "The sun's barely up," she muttered. "Who the hell...?"

She glanced at the screen and saw an unfamiliar number: 877-722-6268. Frowning, she hit 'answer' and held it to her ear.

//Hello. We are doing a location search for debt collection purposes for — Megan Williams — press 0 to—//

"UGH!" Sunset hung up and tossed her phone back onto the bedside table, then got up. She felt a profound sense of ick over her entire body. Grimacing, she stripped off her tank top and panties, tossing them into the hamper. She grabbed a towel she'd tossed over the open closet door after her evening jog the night before and used it to wipe gross sweat from under her breasts, grimacing at the slight redness there. Shaking her head, she padded to the bathroom and turned on the shower, holding her hand under the water until it was the right temperature. With a satisfied grunt, she grabbed a washcloth from the towel rack on the wall and stepped into the shower, grabbing her body wash from the hanging rack on the shower head.

She had lathered up almost a third of her body when the lights abruptly died, leaving the bathroom pitch black. Sunset let out a curse and leaned against the forward wall of the shower, gritting her teeth. "Dammit, I just changed the bulbs—"

And then the water was abruptly freezing cold.

Sunset let out a piercing shriek and hurriedly turned off the water, taking several deep, heaving breaths. After a long moment, she turned the tap on, taking care to step back away from it, and held her hand under it.

The water was cold.

The lights flickered back on...and then off again just as suddenly.

Sunset blinked dazedly in the darkness, cold water pooling around her feet.

She took a deep breath.

"Fuck," she muttered. With an aggravated sigh, she turned the shower back on and, as quickly as she possibly could, finished cleaning her body. She blindly fumbled around for the body wash, washcloth, and shower knobs, managing to hit her hands or knees on something hard and metal at least three times in the darkness. When she felt she was sufficiently clean, she turned off the water, pulled the curtain away, and carefully stepped over the edge of the tub and out into the bathroom. She groped around for her towel, banging her knee hard on the toilet in the process, and started drying herself off.

The lights came back on.

Sunset's doorbell started ringing incessantly. "Oh, come on!" Wrapping the damp towel around her body, she opened the bathroom door and padded down the hall, wincing at the thought of leaving wet footprints on her living room carpet. When she reached the front door, she peered through the peephole, only to see nothing.

But the doorbell was still ringing.

She frowned and, hiding her body behind the door, slowly, cautiously opened it a crack. "Yes?"

"Haloooooooosche?" a voice said from outside the apartment.

Sunset's gaze lowered to somewhere around navel height.

A short, potbellied man with curly black hair and a sparse mustache, wearing striped pajamas, stood on her doorstep.

"Do you need raw toast?" he asked, shoving a slightly moldy slice of white bread through the crack in the door.

"Uhh...no thanks," Sunset said.

"I have raw toast," the little man said jovially, waving his bread around.

"I can see that," Sunset said.

"I can't fry the toast," he said, bowing his head dejectedly.

"Uhh...yeah, the power went out," Sunset said. "It's back on now. You can, uhh...you can go fry your toast now."

"Okaysche!" the little man said happily. "If you need raw toast, you dingle my berry!"

Sunset had no response to that.

"I give this!" the little man finished, dropping his moldy bread through the crack in the door before waddling off.

"Wait, I don't—!"

Sunset could hear her phone ringing in her bedroom. With a sigh, she closed the door, picked up the moldy bread by a corner, and carried it to the kitchen to throw it in the trash. Then she headed to her bedroom, arriving just as her phone stopped ringing. With an aggravated groan, she picked it up and checked the screen.

1 missed call: 877-722-6268
1 new message from: Canterlot Power & Gas

She sighed and opened the message from CP&G.

An outage was detected in your area at 6:44am. Customers affected: 475. Crews have been dispatched to restore power. Estimated restoration time: 8:30am.

Her phone buzzed.

1 new message from: Canterlot Power & Gas

Power restored at 7:02am. Cause: Damage to equipment. Reply 'OUT' if your power is still out.

Rolling her eyes, Sunset put her phone down, grabbed a fresh towel from the linen closet, and went back to the bathroom to finish drying herself. Once she was thoroughly dry, she spent several minutes applying deodorant, body powder, and lotion, then grabbed a clean pair of panties, a sport bra, a pair of denim shorts, and a tank top and started getting dressed.

She had just finished putting on her bra when the power went out again. Her bedroom ceiling fan rattled to a slow, grinding stop.

She closed her eyes and let out a slow hiss.

Her phone buzzed. Shaking her head, she flung herself backward onto her bed and grabbed the phone.

An outage was detected in your area at 7:17am. Customers affected: 830. Crews have been dispatched to restore power. Estimated restoration time: 9:30am.

Sunset groaned, let her phone fall to the bed, and closed her eyes, her tank top still bunched up in her other hand. "Greeeeat," she muttered.

Her phone's voicemail alert sounded. Letting out an aggravated groan, she picked it up and input her voicemail password.

//Hello. We are doing a location search for debt collection purposes for — Megan Williams —//

Sunset erased the message, laid her head back on the pillow, and closed her eyes.

"I hate Mondays."

Her doorbell started ringing again.

She screamed.

* * * * *

By 8:30, the power had come back on twice and gone off again. After finally putting on her tank top, Sunset had spent fifteen minutes going around the apartment unplugging things so the constant on-again, off-again of the power wouldn't damage any of her expensive electronics, then she'd made herself a bowl of cereal, taking care not to leave the fridge open too long while getting out the milk.

Which she was almost out of, meaning a trip to the store was in order. She also needed to pay her rent, which meant a trip to the bank.

Once she finished rinsing her bowl out, she sat down and made a small grocery list; she usually kept her kitchen fairly well-stocked enough that she didn't need to get more than a few things at a time—fresh veggies, milk, bread, snacks, and the like—but she was running low on a few staples, too, and the first of the month was a good time to take care of that. As she finished making her list, she went over it with a mild frown, tapping her pen against her cheek.

Normally, on days when she had to run multiple errands in town, she took the bus instead of her bike. Today, she'd need more substantial transportation, which meant bumming a ride. With a sigh, she grabbed her phone, ignoring the two new messages from the robocall number, and scrolled through her contacts.

"Pinkie and her sisters are out of town, so that's out; Flash? ...don't really feel comfortable asking him. Rarity's car's in the shop; hmm...guess that leaves Applejack." She tapped the call button and waited for a long moment. When Applejack finally answered, she said, "Hey, AJ! How busy are you today? Uh-huh. Oh. Yikes. That sounds bad. No, no, it's...it's fine. Nevermind. Sorry to—yeah, I was gonna ask for a ride to run some errands, but if you've got all that going on, I can...yeah. Okay. Nah, it's cool. I'll just ask Flash. I mean, I guess he'll probably be...yeah. Okay. Good luck! Bye." As soon as she hung up, Sunset sagged against her living room table. "Bleah." Sighing, she called Flash. "Hey, Flash? Yeah, listen...can I ask a favor...?"

* * * * *

Flash's car pulled into the parking lot at the bank. "Be right back," Sunset said. She got out and walked into the bank. Curiously, there was a shortage of customers.

"Miss?" a teller called. "I'm sorry, but our entire computer system is down today. We can't help any customers."

Sunset blinked. "Really? But...I needed to get a cashier's check for my rent..."

The teller smiled sympathetically. "I'm sorry, miss. Maybe if you come back later this afternoon? We're trying to get it fixed. We'll have it back up and running tomorrow for sure."

Sunset sighed. "Great," she muttered. "How about the ATM? Is that still working?"

The teller gave her a pained smile. "Yyyyeah, but...there's a fifty dollar withdrawal limit until Wednesday."

"Wonderful," Sunset muttered. She trudged over to the ATM, taking out her card, and took out fifty dollars, which the machine 'helpfully' served in fives. Counting it and stuffing it into her wallet, she headed back out to the car.

Flash looked at her as she got in and buckled up. "You look even madder now than you did when I picked you up," he said.

"Their computers are down," Sunset muttered. "Couldn't get a rent check, couldn't withdraw more than fifty bucks."

Flash frowned. "That...won't be enough, will it?"

Sunset sighed. "It'll cover some of my groceries," she said. "I'll have to cut my list down like, a lot." She frowned. "I'd better call my landlord."

"Want me to drive you to the store that does all the yellow coupons?" Flash asked. "Might help you stretch that fifty."

Sunset smiled gratefully. "Thanks, that'd be great." She scrolled through her contacts. "Sal? It's Sunset. Listen, I just left the bank and their computers are down, so—you too, huh? Yeah. It's cool if I'm a day or two late with my rent, right? Thanks. Oh, and the power's been going out like, all morning. I don't think it's a problem just at our building, every time they send out a text about it, it's hitting way more people. Oh? Your mom's...yikes. Yikes. Well...take her some bags of ice or something, this heat's not good for old people. Yeah. Okay, talk to you when I get the rent." She hung up and sighed.

Flash glanced at her. "You're...kinda not having a very good day, are you?"

Sunset shot him a sideways glare. "You know how much I hate Mondays," she muttered.

"R-right," Flash gulped. "Oh, look! We're here."

It took five minutes for Flash to find a parking space at the supermarket. Once he did, they got out, and Sunset grabbed a basket. Flash tailed along behind her as she made her way through the store, carefully picking out items she was critically low on, while scratching things off her list she could do without for a bit.

She saved her produce and cold stuff for last. While the store's yellow coupons offered two-for-one items, discounts, or buy-this-and-get-this-free specials, a lot of the special items had been picked over, cleaned out, or just didn't appeal to Sunset. Still, she managed to find a few good deals, including a new kind of cereal to try that was on special, and her spirits had partially improved by the time she reached the dairy aisle.

Then she saw the price for a gallon of milk. "What."

An employee who was stocking orange juice a section over turned to her. "Something wrong, miss?"

Sunset pointed a shaking finger at the milk. "Seven dollars for a gallon of milk?!"

"There's a shortage of cows," the employee said.

Sunset stared at him like he'd grown a second head. "A...shortage of cows," she said.

"Yes ma'am. There was like, a big cow fire or something. We're paying twice what we normally pay for the milk, so we have to charge more. Sorry."

Sunset dragged a hand down her face. "A cow fire," she echoed.

"Cow fire," the employee replied with a sheepish look.

Sunset groaned. "Greeeat."

"Umm, Sunset?" Flash hedged. "You could just get some powdered milk. I mean, that'll do until they, umm...get more cows, right?"

Sunset sighed. "Ugggggggh..." Wearily, she pushed the basket away from the dairy section, hiking halfway back across the store to the baking aisle where the powdered milk was kept.

* * * * *

Sunset returned home to a dark apartment with forty-five dollars' worth of groceries, a good twenty of which needed to go into either the refrigerator or the freezer. Flash had chipped in for a bag of ice while she was busy at the register, and helped her bring her groceries upstairs.

"Damn, it's like an oven in here," Flash said.

Sunset groaned as she sat down her shopping bags. "Can you go open the windows while I start putting this stuff up?" she asked.

"Sure," Flash said. He glanced at his phone and frowned. "Umm...hey, Sunset? I can, uhh..." He fidgeted. "Wanna grab some lunch? It's on me."

Sunset blinked. "Really?"

Flash nodded as he unlocked and opened Sunset's stiff kitchen window with a grunt. "It's too hot in here to stay in, especially if you don't know when the power's gonna be back on."

Sunset glanced at her own phone.

Outage update: Customers affected: 2475. Crews are continuing their efforts to restore power. Estimated restoration time: 1:30pm.

"Yeah, let me get this stuff put up, then we'll go," Sunset said.

Once Sunset had finished putting her cold stuff away—which involved dividing up the ice into several gallon Ziploc bags and stuffing half of it into the freezer and half of it into the fridge—she and Flash left.

As she was locking the door, her short, potbellied neighbor dragged a deck chair out onto the landing. He waved a dripping mess of bread and...something unidentifiable at them. "You want my tuna jelly?" he asked.

Flash stared at him. "What...the..."

"I got lots of bacon in the sofa!"

Sunset grumbled under her breath. "We're not hungry, Dooble," she said. Aside to Flash, she whispered, "Let's go. Hurry. Don't look at him, don't talk to him, and watch out, he might actually throw whatever that is at you." Having said thus, she quickly walked past Dooble, Flash right behind her, casting curious, vaguely horrified looks back at the little man.

Just as they reached the bottom of the stairs, Dooble's sandwich hit the grass with a loud *plap*, spraying its questionable contents far and wide.

"I drop this!"

"Run," Sunset muttered, sprinting for Flash's car. Flash followed, unlocking it with his keyfob.

Once they were in the car with the engine running, Flash asked, "What was that?!"

Sunset sighed. "My neighbor," she said. "He moved in about a month after the Fall Formal. He's..." She shuddered. "He's bizarre."

"He threw a sandwich over the railing."

"At seven this morning he gave me a piece of moldy bread."

"Wow. So, umm...where do you wanna go for lunch?"

"Eh, I'll let you pick. Anywhere's fine so long as it's air conditioned."

* * * * *

Fifteen minutes later, Sunset and Flash sat at a table at Big Kahuna Burger. Flash had a big, meaty double bacon cheeseburger in front of him, along with a large order of fries and a large soda. Sunset had a crispy chicken strip salad with pineapple teriyaki dressing, a medium order of fries, and a large chocolate shake.

Both of them were sweating.

"Figures the air conditioner would break down as soon as we ordered our food," Sunset muttered.

Flash sighed. "Well, at least it's cooler in here than it is out there or back at your place."

"True." Sunset bit into one of her fries and made a face. "Ugh," she muttered. "What did they do, drown these in grease?"

"Yeah, they're...not usually this greasy," Flash said, examining his own fries. "They're usually a lot crispier." He took a big bite of his burger. "You know who has the best fries?"

Sunset gave him a questioning look as she speared some crispy chicken and lettuce with her spork.

"Pizza Barn."

"Huh," Sunset said, blinking.

"Yeah, they've got these ranch fries, we always get 'em when we order wings," Flash said. "They're nice and crispy." He shrugged. "But they're three bucks an order."

"Ouch," Sunset said.

"Well, well, well," an obnoxious voice, like nails on chalkboard, said loudly.

Sunset set her spork down and looked up with cold dread.

"Look. Who's. Dating. Again."

Trixie Lulamoon sauntered up to them with a smirk, her phone out and recording.

"The loser and the freak, a match made in a barn," Trixie said.

"Get lost, Trixie," Flash said irritably. "And we're not dating. Sunset's power is out; I'm just taking her out to lunch because her place is like an oven."

"Oh? And how would you know about how hot Sunset's place is?" Trixie asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Because he's been helping me run errands all day," Sunset said, frowning at Trixie. "It's something friends do. And it's none of your business, so go away and bother somebody else."

"Oh, I intend to," Trixie said. She snatched up Sunset's shake and took a long, long sip of it, then dropped it on the table. Sunset barely managed to keep it from tipping over. Laughing, Trixie sauntered away.

Before leaving, she turned and called, "By the way, Sunset? Love the slut look. You should dress like that more often. You know, since your body's the only thing anybody's ever going to want about you." Laughing like a complete bitch, she left the restaurant.

Sunset's face burned red.

Flash stared at her. "Ummm...let me get you another straw," he said.

Sunset sighed and bowed her head, shrinking against the booth.

"Come on," Flash said. "You know Trixie's just a loudmouth who loves to put other people down."

"I know," Sunset said in a half-whimper. "It's just...she's the last thing I needed today."

Sunset and Flash finished their fair-quality fast food meals in a morose silence after that, during which the restaurant got hotter and hotter. By the time they left, it was a quarter to one and the heat outside was sweltering.

"So, back to your place?" Flash asked.

Sunset checked her phone.

1 new message from: Canterlot Power & Gas

Power restored at 12:42pm. Cause: Damage to equipment. Reply 'OUT' if your power is still out.

"Yeah," Sunset said. "Looks like the power's back—"

//Space Unicorn! Soaring through the stars!//

Flash raised an eyebrow. "What the hell?" he asked, chuckling.

Sunset snorted. "Rainbow Dash did that," she muttered, shaking her head. "I left it because it's pretty funny." She examined the screen, groaned, and hit ignore.

"Not answering?"

"It's a robocall," Sunset muttered.

"Ugh, I hate tho—"

*BLAM.*

The car jerked suddenly and veered toward the shoulder. Sunset jumped, yelping. Flash jerked the wheel hard, wresting the car away from the curb, and slowed to a stop. "Oh no, no, NO," Flash moaned.

Once he stopped the car, he turned off the ignition and got out. A minute later, Sunset heard him loudly yell "FUCK!" outside. She got out, almost hitting him with the door, and hiked up into the grass on the shoulder. "What happened?"

"Flat tire," Flash groaned. "Shit..."

"Wonderful," Sunset muttered, dragging her hand down her face. "You do have a spare, right?"

Flash sighed. "Yeah, but the spare's bald. I'm not totally sure it'll hold up for long." He looked around. "We're five minutes from your place, I can get us back there if you help me change the tire."

"Sure."

For fifteen minutes, the two teens worked to change the flat. The already horrible heat was much worse this close to shimmering asphalt and a cooling engine. Once the new tire was on, they collapsed back into the car, breathing heavily and dripping with sweat. Flash turned on the car, cranked the air conditioner full blast, and got back on the road, driving slowly to Sunset's apartment.

Just as they pulled into the lot and Flash turned off the engine, Sunset got another text.

An outage was detected in your area at 1:08pm. Customers affected: 3370. Crews have been dispatched to restore power. Estimated restoration time: 4:30am.

Sunset let out a strained whimper.

"Don't tell me," Flash moaned.

Sunset nodded.

Flash groaned. "You know I'm stuck here until I can get my dad to bring a good tire," he said.

"My plants are probably dead by now," Sunset whimpered. "I don't even wanna think about the food I bought today, what kind of shape that's in."

"I'm sure that ice will hold for a while."

"I guess," Sunset hedged. She fidgeted. "Your dad can't come with a tire right away anyway, right?"

"He's at work, so..."

Sunset nodded, tapping a foot. "I'm gonna go get my swimsuit," she said. "And my helmet. I'll drive us to the pool."

Flash frowned. "You sure about that? I mean...the way things are going today..."

"It's better than broiling here," Sunset muttered, stomping off for the stairs.

Flash sighed. "I guess..."

* * * * *

The pool was crowded. Sunset barely found a place to park her bike.

"There goes the last of my money until the bank's back up," Sunset grumbled as she paid their entry to the pool. "I'm gonna go get changed," she said.

"I don't, uhh...have a swimsuit," Flash said.

"So lounge by the pool," Sunset said. "Ogle some of the girls. You've gotta get over Twilight eventually, right?"

Flash shot her a dirty look. "Not cool, Sunset," he said.

Sunset's face fell. "Sorry," she said gamely. "It's been..." She sighed. "I'm just kinda...not at my best today."

Flash frowned. "Yeah, okay. No worries."

"Be right back," Sunset said. She headed for the change room, waiting in a fairly long line to get in. She saw some familiar faces waiting to get changed—Lyra, Bon Bon, Derpy.

Far too long for her liking later, Sunset had finally gotten changed into her orange and magenta bikini and was ready to get into the pool, when she heard a loud commotion from outside. Frowning, she pushed open the change room door...

"EWW!"

"GROSS!"

"Oh god, Snails, that was NOT OKAY!"

"I'm sorry, eh!"

"Okay, kid, OUT! You're banned from the pool!" The lifeguard blew his whistle. "Sorry, folks, pool is closing NOW! Nobody get in the water!"

"Ewww, who the hell WOULD?"

"So gross!"

"Nasty!"

Sunset walked out to see dozens of disgusted people stampeding toward the exit. She found Flash sitting at a poolside table, a grimace on his face. "What happened?" she asked.

"Snails shit in the pool," Flash grunted, facepalming.

Sunset's eye twitched. "What." Slowly, she glanced around. She caught sight of Snails, being berated by the lifeguard, who was writing something on a ticket book.

She glanced at the pool.

There was a massive green turd floating on the water's surface.

Sunset's eye twitch intensified. Gnashing her teeth, she stalked over to Snails and the lifeguard. "Snails," she growled.

Snails turned. "Oh, hey Sunset WOWZA!" he looked her up and down, a goofy grin on his face. "You look amazing, eh?"

Sunset pointed a trembling hand at the pool. "Is that yours?" she asked.

"Uhh...yeah," Snails said. "It was an accident—"

Sunset grabbed Snails around the waist and, with a roar of rage, threw him into the pool. "CLEAN IT UP!" she snarled. "WITH YOUR BARE HANDS, YOU LITTLE LOSER!"

The lifeguard frowned at her. "Miss, you can't just—"

Sunset growled at him.

The lifeguard took a step back. "Nevermind! Umm, pool's closing."

"I noticed," Sunset ground out. Sighing, she headed back into the changing room and grabbed her stuff.

Her phone was going off. Grimacing, she pulled it out of her bag.

3 missed calls: 877-722-6268
2 new messages from: Canterlot Power & Gas

Outage update: Customers affected: 3950. Crews are continuing their efforts to restore power. Estimated restoration time: 6:30pm.

Sunset sank onto one of the benches and started crying.

* * * * *

Dear Princess Twilight,
I need you to come through the portal right away. There's a terrible crisis threatening our world, but if you and the other Twilight work together, I know you can defeat this terrible evil.

Your friend,
Sunset Shimmer

With a gasp of horror, Twilight shot to her hooves and launched herself into the air. "SPIKE!" she yelled. "Hold down the fort and tell Starlight Glimmer to go alert my friends! I'm going to the human world for a little while!" Without waiting for a reply, she teleported straight to the room where she kept the portal and, swallowing nervously, stepped through it.

When she staggered out on the other side, sweltering heat pressed in on her from all sides. She blinked and shielded her eyes against the burning hot sun overhead.

Sunset Shimmer was standing there, wearing shorts and a tank top and dripping sweat. Her eyes were puffy and red and her hair was completely in shambles. Next to her, Twilight's own human counterpart stood, similarly dressed and looking self-conscious and miserable.

"What's going on?" Princess Twilight asked. "What's the emergency?"

"Yeah, Sunset, what is the emergency?" the human Twilight asked. "You didn't tell me what was going on before you grabbed me and dragged me here on your bike in this heat!"

Sunset looked at the two Twilights with a grave expression. "I need the two of you..."

"Yes?" both Twilights asked.

"...to find a way..."

"Yes?"

Sunset gave them both the most serious stare she could muster. "...to kill Mondays forever."

Both Twilights stared at her.

Princess Twilight facepalmed, shook her head, turned around, and walked back through the portal.