• Published 1st May 2016
  • 3,719 Views, 19 Comments

Today's Her What? - MLP Fangirl



There are two days that simply can't be forgotten when you're in a relationship: anniversaries and birthdays. What happens when Discord forgets one?

  • ...
4
 19
 3,719

All Worth It

Discord was up bright and early the next day. Even though Twilight was scheduled to arrive on the nine o'clock train, he wanted to make sure everything was perfect.

He headed over to the Palace of Friendship and marched into Spike's room, not caring that the dragon was still asleep.

"Spike, Twilight is going to be arriving in a few hours. Are you sure everything is ready?" He looked over at the baby dragon who hadn't stirred yet.

Discord rolled his eyes, "Oh for the love of - Spike, wake up!"

He summoned a bucket of water and dumped its contents onto the sleeping Spike, immediately waking up.

"ACK! DISCORD!"

Discord crossed his arms, "I'm sorry, but I need you up. Now, come on, we've got to rally the girls."

Spike shook himself dry, shooting a nasty glare in Discord's direction. "Don't let them suffer the same fate I did."

The Spirit of Chaos smirked, "If they get up in time, they won't. Let's go."

With a snap of his fingers, the two disappeared.

~~~~~

About an hour later, the Element Bearers excluding Twilight were seated in the throne room.

Three of them were still somewhat asleep while two of them were wide awake - no thanks to Discord, obviously.

Discord occupied Twilight's throne and set his mismatched hands on the Cutie Map.

"Alright, ladies. At approximately 0900 hours, Princess Twilight will be arriving, meaning everything has to be perfect. Now, I normally don't want everything to be perfect, but in this instance, I'll allow it. So, I will be escorting Twilight to the dining hall. In the meantime, you mares are going to keep everything in order. Can you do that?"

Applejack chuckled, rubbing her eye, "Kinda sounds weird hearing you say to keep things in order."

Discord grimaced, "And, you have no idea how weird it sounds saying it. Blech! But, this is for Twilight. I'm willing to bend when it comes to her."

Pinkie placed both hooves on her cheeks, "Awwww. That's so sweet."

Rarity huffed, "I would agree, but I am still quite peeved with you, Discord. You ruined my mane. Now, it's all damp."

Rainbow Dash sent Discord a glare, "Ditto on that. Not the whole mane thing, but the peeved part. I was having this awesome dream about me as Daring Do, and you woke me up before I escaped. Now, I'll never find out if I survived."

"You two can beat me up later. Right now, we need to make sure everything is ready."

Rarity flipped her mane, "Though the urge is rather strong, a lady does not strike back in anger."

Rainbow Dash narrowed her eyes, "This lady will."

Fluttershy frowned at her fellow pegasus, "Rainbow Dash, be nice. Discord just wants to make sure everything will work out okay. There's no need to get violent."

Discord grinned, "Yes, Dash, listen to Fluttershy. And, if it's any consolation, I apologize to the both of you."

Rarity sighed, her eyes softening, "Well, if you're apologizing, I suppose it wouldn't be right of me not to forgive you."

Rainbow groaned, "Okay, fine, I forgive you, Discord. Just don't make a habit of waking me up like that again."

"I make no promises."

Spike cleared his throat, "Um, I don't mean to interrupt, but it's already quarter to nine."

Discord quickly turned to Spike, "What? Says who?"

Spike quirked an eyebrow, "That clock up there?"

And, sure enough, there was a clock right above the double doors. And, the time was indeed 8:45.

Discord slapped his forehead, "Great. Okay, I'll stall her. You all get everything ready. Spike, here."

He threw a small pearly white ball at the little dragon who scrambled to catch it.

Spike held it up in front of his eyes, squinting at it, "What is this thing?"

Rarity's eyes sparkled, "Oh, it's certainly stunning. Is that a pearl, perchance?"

Discord shook his head, "It's just your way of contacting me. Just rub it, and it will send a message to this baby right here." He held up a larger version of the ball in Spike's claws.

Spike shrugged and rubbed it. When he rubbed it, Discord's face appeared crystal clear on the little ball.

Discord waved, "I see you."

Rainbow zoomed over to Spike and looked at item in his hands, "Okay. That's cool. It's like a crystal ball or something."

Discord rubbed his nails on his fur, "Yes, yes, it is. Now, use that to tell me when you're ready."

Spike gave him a thumbs up, "Will do."

A light blue aura surrounded the orb, and it floated out of Spike's grasp.

"Hey! What - "

Rarity smiled, "Oh, Spikey dear, allow me to take that for you. I'm sure you'll be busy. I don't want you to burden yourself with so much work."

"But - "

Rarity put a hoof on his shoulder, batting her eyelashes at him, "Please, Spike."

Spike sighed dreamily, a goofy smile spreading across his face, "Uh, s-sure thing, Rarity."

She giggled, "Thank you, Spikey boo."

Discord rolled his eyes, immediately vanishing.

~~~~~

Princess Twilight looked out of one of the windows on the train, the wind whipping her mane back. She sighed contently as Ponyville came into view.

She could already see her castle, the sunlight reflecting off of the crystal spire.

She pulled her head back inside, smoothing out her windblown mane. She closed the window with her magic and sat back in her seat.

She thought back to the evening before, reminiscing the fun that had occurred, as well as the conversation that had taken place.

Truth be told, Twilight was looking forward to seeing Discord. He hadn't greeted her on her birthday, but she was sure when she arrived he'd greet her and go all out. That was just the kind of being he was.

"Next stop: Ponyville. Please gather your belongings and swiftly exit the train. Have a wonderful day." The conductor's voice announced over the loudspeaker.

Twilight gathered her saddlebags and waited for the train to stop completely.

When it did, Twilight maneuvered past the other passengers and made her way to the train exit.

As she stepped onto the platform, a bright smile crossed her face as her eyes set upon none other than the Spirit of Chaos himself.

He waved to her, a similar smile on his face.

She trotted over to him.

Twilight smirked, one eyebrow raised, "I guess someone couldn't wait to see me."

Discord wiggled his eyebrows, "Absence makes the heart grow fonder, my dear. And, every minute away from you was but torture to me."

Twilight giggled, as she flew up next to him, "Corny. But, it'll do." She gave him a tiny peck on the cheek.

Discord wrapped his lion paw around her, hugging her tightly, "Oh, you want more? Why, I'd be glad to."

He cleared his throat and spoke in the cheesiest dramatic voice, "But soft. What light from yonder window breaks? It is the east, and Twilight is the sun."

Twilight blushed as Discord spoke in a not so quiet manner. The passing ponies giggled at the sight of the draconequus hamming it up.

"Uh, Discord?" She whispered, "Ponies are staring."

Discord scoffed, "You think I care? Unlike you, I enjoy the attention." He inhaled, ready to recite more Shakespony.

"Okay, Discord." Twilight broke free of his embrace and flew back down to the ground. "Why don't we head back to the castle?"

Discord chuckled, "Why, that's an absolutely terrible idea, Twilight. You just spent a whole day in the Crystal Castle. Take a break from castles."

Twilight inched an eyebrow up just slightly, "You know that castle happens to be my home, right?"

"Of course, but don't we all get tired of staying at home? Let's do something. Anything in mind?"

Twilight's eyes narrowed, "What are you hiding, Discord?"

Discord chuckled again, curling around the alicorn, "My dear, I am guilty of hiding nothing. I just wish to spend some time with you. Is that so wrong?"

She sighed, a smile on her face, "No, I suppose not."

A grin spread across Discord's face, "Wonderful. Now, I don't know about you. But, I am feeling rather peckish. I heard that Breakfast, Brunch, and Dinner is doing well."

~~~~~

Meanwhile, at the Castle of Friendship, the five mares and dragon stood in the throne room, unsure of what to do.

Spike rubbed the back of his head, "So, uh, do you think everything is ready?"

Rarity shrugged, "I'm not aware of anything that needed to be finished."

Fluttershy hid behind her mane, "My birds are ready to sing. I mean, if you don't think they are, we can practice some more."

Rainbow Dash lounged in her throne, "The cloud statue's all done, so that means I'm done."

Applejack put a hoof to her chin, "Well, I guess ah could set up the food."

Pinkie raised a hoof, "And, I'll help you!"

Applejack squinted her eyes, "Uh, listen, sugarcube. While ah appreciate your help and all, ah really don't want a repeat from yesterday."

Pinkie frowned, "Aw, come on, A.J. When have I ever steered you wrong?"

Rainbow coughed, mumbling, "You really want us to answer that?"

Spike walked over to the two mares, "Uh, hey, Pinkie, can you bring all of Twilight's presents into the dining hall? They're in her library."

The pink mare saluted, "Sir, yes, sir!" She dashed out of the throne room, leaving a trail of smoke behind her.

Rarity stepped back, raising an eyebrow, "I will never understand that mare."

Spike crossed his arms, "I don't think any of us will."

Applejack trotted out of throne room, leaving the others behind.

Suddenly, the crystal ball began to vibrate.

Fluttershy, who had been standing next to it, jumped at the sound of the vibration.

Spike ran over to answer it, but Rarity beat him to it.

She picked it up in her magic, "Allow me, Spike." She smiled as she turned back to the pearly white orb. But, that smile soon became a frown of confusion.

Rainbow's eyebrows furrowed, "Well? What are you waiting for?"

"How do I - "

Rainbow rolled her eyes, "Oh, for ponies' sake."

Fluttershy raised a hoof, shyly. "I, um, think you're supposed to rub it."

"With?"

Spike sighed, "Your hoof, maybe?"

Rarity blinked, and soon realization dawned, "Oh, of course." She brought the orb closer to her and rubbed it with her hoof.

As soon as she did, the pearly surface of the ball changed, and Discord's face was clear as crystal.

Discord waved, "How're things?"

Rarity smiled, flipping her mane, "Fine. There's not much to be done, to be honest. Is Twilight with you?"

Discord quirked an eyebrow, smirking, "Uh, yeah? Her train arrived about half an hour ago. I think that'd be pretty obvious."

Rarity rolled her eyes, "No, I meant, is she near you?"

"Again, pretty obvious. No, of course not. I'm in the bathroom. We're just finishing up breakfast."

Rarity huffed, "Well, there's no need to be rude about it."

Rainbow smirked, flying over to Rarity, "I didn't think he was being rude. He was just stating the obvious."

Discord chuckled, "Obviously, Rainbow Dash. So, if you're all ready, should we head on over there?"

Rarity nodded, "Yes, you - "

*CRASH*

Rarity nearly lost her grip on the crystal orb.

Rainbow looked around frantically, "What the hay?"

Discord's eyebrows furrowed, "What was that?"

Rarity blinked nervously, "Uh..."

Spike jumped, snagging the ball from Rarity's magic hold, "We'll let you know as soon as we find out."

Discord narrowed his eyes, "Well, whatever it is, fix it. I gotta get back to Twi. Fix it and fix it soon."

Spike nodded, "Roger that."

With that, Discord's face disappeared, and the orb returned to normal.

Spike set the crystal ball down gently.

As soon as it was out of his hands, he panicked, "What in Celestia's name was that?!"

Rainbow Dash huffed, "Well, we're not going to find out just standing around. Come on, Fluttershy."

Fluttershy let out a squeal, "D-do I have to?"

The cyan pegasus groaned, quickly flying over to the timid mare, grabbing her hoof, and zooming off to locate the source of the crash.

Rarity and Spike cast each other worried glances.

"Oh dear, I hope nothing has happened."

"That makes two of us."

~~~~~

Rainbow and Fluttershy flew as fast as their wings could carry them.

Fluttershy blinked, then suddenly stopped mid-flight.

Rainbow flew along for another few feet before noticing her absence. She slowed down and turned around to see Fluttershy rubbing her hooves together nervously.

"Ugh."

Rainbow Dash zoomed back towards the yellow pegasus, "What is it now, Fluttershy?"

Fluttershy bit her lip, "Uh, Rainbow Dash? Do you even know where we are going?"

The rainbow-maned pegasus gave an annoyed huff, "Well, of course, I do. We're going to check on Pinkie Pie."

"Why are you going to check on me?"

Rainbow and Fluttershy both squeaked in surprise at the sudden appearance of Pinkie.

"Pinkie Pie, what in Equestria did you do?"

Pinkie raised an eyebrow, an innocent expression on her face, "I didn't do anything. I'm going to check on what caused that big boom."

Fluttershy smiled, "We're going to check on it, too."

"Yes, and sitting around talking about it will help us figure it out so much faster, " Rainbow drawled, bearing a deadpan expression.

Fluttershy put a hoof to her chin, "Well, if Pinkie didn't cause it, maybe something happened with Applejack?"

The threes mares nodded, taking off toward the kitchen.

~~~~~

Applejack rubbed her hooves nervously together, "Oh boy."

"Ap - plejack!" Pinkie's voice sang out.

The country pony jumped, "Uh, yeah?"

"A.J., you okay?" Rainbow burst through the door.

Applejack stood uncharacteristically still, bearing a forced smile, "Uh, sorta."

Fluttershy put a hoof to her mouth, "Oh, what happened? Are you hurt?"

Pinkie bounced over to her, "Didja hurt your hoovsies?"

Applejack narrowed her eyes at Pinkie.

The pink mare stopped her bouncing, looking at her fellow earth pony with confusion. "Why are you narrowing your eyes at me?"

"Ah thought you said ya found all ah yer party cannons."

Pinkie's head tilted to the side, "Huh?"

Rainbow Dash crossed her hooves, "What's goin' on, Applejack?"

Applejack sighed, stepping to the side to reveal at least two dozen apple fritters lying on the ground.

Pinkie gasped in a loud, dramatic manner, "What did you do to the fritters?!"

Applejack's gaze hardened as her eyes met Pinkie's, "Ya know those party cannons you said ya got rid of?"

"Uh...yes?"

The orange earth pony lowered her eyelids, "Well, ya missed one. Wonderin' how I know? One went off while ah I was carryin' the tray of fritters. Scared the hay outta me, made me lose ma grip. And now, the fritters are on the ground."

Fluttershy rubbed her foreleg, "Can't you just make more?"

Applejack huffed, "Ah could, but, it'd take me, at least, two hours ta get these many fritters done."

Rainbow Dash groaned, running a hoof down her face, "Well, we'll have to go without them then. Discord's not gonna keep Twilight away forever."

Pinkie raised a hoof, "Oh, oh! I know! I know!"

"Yes, Pinkie?"

"The Cakes are having a special on all apple-related pastries in honor of Cider Season starting soon."

Applejack put a hoof to her chin, "That's not a bad idea."

Rainbow Dash gave a look of uncertainty, "Well, I guess. But, we'd have to get over there without Twilight and Discord noticing us."

Pinkie waved a hoof, "Don't worry. I'm a master at stealth mode."

"Fine. Pinkie, you and I are heading over to Sugarcube Corner. Applejack, Fluttershy, you two stay here."

With that, Rainbow Dash quickly grabbed Pinkie and zoomed off towards Sugarcube Corner.

Applejack and Fluttershy exchanged glances.

"So, what now?"

"Well, ah guess we - "

"AHHHHHHH!!!"

Applejack blinked, " - go check on Rarity. Come on, Fluttershy."

The two mares ran out of the kitchen.

~~~~~

Discord and Twilight were taking a walk beside Ponyville Lake. There were a few ponies along the lake's edge, each one enjoying the sunshine.

Twilight looked about with fascination, marveling at the beautiful day.

"Oh, it is so nice out today."

Discord walked with his hands behind his back, a bored expression on his face, "Yes, yes. It is quite nice. Excuse me, dear. I'll be right back."

Twilight turned to him, "Where are you going?"

Discord walked backwards, away from her. He held up his paw, "Nowhere special. I'll be back. Try not to miss me too much, kay?"

Twilight rolled her eyes, smiling, "I'll do my best."

Discord smiled then quickly ran away from her.

Twilight raised an eyebrow but quickly became distracted by a little filly asking for an autograph.

Discord ran behind a tree. He peeked around it, grateful to see Twilight signing an autograph and not looking in his direction.

He held up his crystal orb and rubbed it.

He waited a few seconds before the crystal surface bore Rarity's face.

A nervous grin was spread on her face, as her eyes were darting about slightly.

Discord frowned, "Rarity, your nervous look is not sitting well with me. What's happened?"

Rarity looked to her left briefly before turning back to Discord, "Oh, no. Everything is - "

She flinched as a soft crash echoed in the background, " - fine!"

The draconequus looked unconvinced, "It doesn't sound like everything's fine."

Rarity waved a hoof in dismissal, "Oh, don't worry, Discord. We'll have this minor mayhap remedied - "

Another crash sounded in the background.

" - soon."

Discord sighed, placing his eagle claw on his face, "How much time do you need?"

Rarity looked off to the side as another mare's voice could be heard, though only slightly.

She squinted her eyes, "What? Oh, all right." She turned back to Discord, "We'll, uh, let you know when we're ready."

Discord rolled his eyes, "Fine. But, please be quick about it. I think she's getting antsy."

Rarity nodded, "We're doing our best. Oh, and don't go near Sugarcube Corner."

"Why?"

Rarity smiled, waving a hoof, "Bye, Discord."

The crystal returned to normal.

Discord sighed, "Chaos ensues even when I'm not present." He suddenly brightened up, "Huh. Maybe these ponies aren't such big sticks-in-the-mud after all."

"Discord?"

Discord jumped, quickly hiding the ball.

He came out from behind the tree.

Twilight, upon seeing him, trotted over to him, "There you are. What were you doing?"

"Taking care of some business."

Twilight blanched, a disgusted look on her face, "Discord!"

Discord blinked. Upon realizing what she meant, his eyes widened.

"Oh, no. Please, I'm above that. It was all clean, I assure you."

Twilight snorted, "I'm going to take your word for it. Now, I don't know about you, but I really want to delve into my new Harmonic Theory. I'm ready to head home."

Discord scoffed, "Why are you so insistent upon going back to your stuffy castle? Get out. Stretch your wings. I'm in the mood for a good flight."

Twilight lowered her eyelids, "Discord."

"Come on." He hopped up into the air, flapping his wings, and hovered above the purple alicorn. "You need to use those babies more often. Never can get too much practice in, after all."

The Princess of Friendship rolled her eyes, "Fine." With a flap of her wings, she found herself airborne, hovering next to Discord.

"But, after this, we are heading back to the castle."

Discord nodded.

I hope.

~~~~~

Fluttershy flew up to one of the silk curtains, carrying a bucket of water. She poured its contents onto the flames, smothering them.

Rarity levitated a bucket of water over to the other curtain, putting out the fire.

"There. That should be the last of them."

Spike stood to the side, holding his tail shamefully, "I'm really sorry."

Applejack walked over to him, putting a hoof on his shoulder, "It's alright, Spike. It ain't your fault that when ya sneeze, ya sneeze fire.."

Spike rubbed his neck, "But, I should've been able to hold it in."

Fluttershy flew back down to the ground, "It's hard to control your sneezes. It was an accident."

Rarity huffed, "Besides, all that dust from the Memory Roots above would make anypony sneeze."

Spike sighed dejectedly, "Yeah, but now the curtains are ruined."

Rarity looked at the curtains sadly, "Yes, they are."

Applejack and Fluttershy both cleared their throats, glaring daggers at the white unicorn.

Rarity flinched, putting a hoof on Spike's shoulder, "I mean, yes, they are. But, it's easily repairable."

"Really?"

Rarity nodded then put a hoof to her chin, "It'll take me about a week to get them back to their former glory, but I can manage."

Spike slouched his shoulders, "Not sure if that makes me feel better."

Rarity hugged Spike, "Oh, not to worry, Spikey dear. We still love you. Accidents like this happen."

Spike gladly hugged her back, "Thanks."

At that moment, Pinkie and Rainbow Dash returned, each carrying a tray.

Pinkie held out the tray in front of her and opened the lid. A dozen apple fritters lay on the tray, still steaming.

"Voila! Fresh, piping-hot apple fritters. And, for no cost, too!"

Fluttershy put a hoof on her chest, smiling, "Oh, that was nice of the Cakes to do that."

Rainbow chuckled, setting her tray on the Cutie Map. "Well, Twilight being a princess has its perks."

Spike pointed to Rainbow, "Exactly! I only wish Twilight would see that more often."

Rainbow Dash looked around at the curtains, all soaked and torn up. "Whoa! What happened in here?"

Spike rubbed the back of his neck, "Don't ask."

Applejack raised a hoof, "Uh, so, are we done now?"

Pinkie nodded, "I think so! All we have to do is take these to dining hall and take the cake out. I'll go do that now!"

As Pinkie started to run, a light blue aura surrounded her tail, pulling her back.

Rarity breathed a sigh of relief. She levitated over the two trays of apple fritters in her magic.

"No offense, darling. But, we can't afford another accident. I'll take the cake out. Fluttershy dear, could you come with me?"

Fluttershy rubbed her foreleg, "Well, I kinda have to get my birds ready. I'm sorry."

"I'll help you, Rarity." Spike smiled hopefully.

Rarity stared at him for several seconds. "Try not to sneeze again, please?"

Spike gulped, "Uh...I'll try?"

"Very well then. Come on along, Spike. We don't want to keep Twilight and Discord away for too much longer."

With that, Rarity and Spike exited the throne room.

~~~~~

Discord flew through the air with Twilight beside him, a bored expression on his face.

He glanced over at Twilight to see that she had a similar look on her face.

"So, can we head back to the castle now?"

Discord bit his lip, "Um...TRY TO FIND ME!" Without warning, Discord shot up into the clouds above.

Twilight blinked, registering what just happened. She narrowed her eyes, "DISCORD!"

She flew up, scouring for the missing draconequus.

Discord, meanwhile, turned himself transparent. He sat on top of a cloud and hastily took out his crystal orb.

He rubbed it viciously, "Come on. Come on. COME ON!"

To his relief, Applejack appeared on the surface.

"Are you finally ready? Twilight is getting bored, and so am I. Please tell me you are ready!"

Applejack looked to the side as Rainbow's voice could be heard slightly.

The country mare looked back at Discord, "Uh, sure. Ya'll can come. But, ya might wanna take yer time."

"Why?"

Applejack's face was suddenly replaced by Pinkie Pie's.

"Pinkie!"

Pinkie giggled, "Tee hee! Sorry, A.J. But, I wanted a turn on the crystal ball. Hi, Discord!"

Discord rolled his eyes, "Hello, Pinkie. Now, why should we take our time?"

"To avoid any more accidents. We've been having quite a lot of them."

"PINKIE!"

Pinkie looked off to the side innocently, "What? I'm just being honest. Don't you like that?"

Discord cleared his throat, "Well, try to avoid causing any more accidents. We're going to head over - "

"DISCORD!"

" - aaaand that's my cue to vamoosh. Keep everything under control, please."

Pinkie saluted, "Sir, yes, sir."

The pink pony's face disappeared.

Discord sighed. He arose to get up, only to knocked back onto the cloud by a purple missile.

Twilight stood atop of him, smirking, "Gotcha."

Discord lifted his head off of the cloud, holding it, "How'd you find me?"

Twilight sat down, bearing a proud look, "Scrying spells aren't that tricky to pull off. And, did you really think a transparency shield would be enough to fool me?"

Discord smirked, "It was worth a try, was it not?" He wrapped his mismatched arms around the alicorn, holding her close.

Twilight smiled, laying her head down on his furry, brown chest, "I suppose. Though, you'll have to do better next time."

"Duly noted." He brought his head close to hers, planting a kiss on the top of her mane.

"Can we head back to the castle now?"

Discord squeezed her tight, "Oh, I don't know. I kinda like it up here."

Twilight rolled her eyes, "As much as I like it up here as well, I would really like to head back."

"Oh, all right." He sat up as Twilight jumped off of him.

She walked over to the edge of the cloud they were standing on.

"The palace is right over there." Twilight spread her wings, bending her legs. "Race you."

Discord stood up, shaking his head, "Oh, no. That's a terrible idea."

Twilight raised an eyebrow, smiling, "Why? You scared you're going to lose?"

"Me? Lose? Oh, Twilight! Your sense of humor has improved dramatically."

She shrugged, "Side effect of hanging out with you. So, you gonna put your money where your mouth is?"

Discord walked to the edge of the cloud, "No. I don't have any money."

He jumped off the cloud, hovering for a few seconds. He smirked, grabbing Twilight.

Twilight squealed, "DISCORD! What are you doing? Let me go."

"Hold on tight." With that brief warning, Discord's wings folded up, and the two of them plummeted towards the ground below, traveling downward at great speeds.

Twilight screamed loudly, her eyes shut tight. "AHHHH!"

"What in the world are you screaming about, my dear?"

Twilight's eyes opened, and she realized that they were already on the ground.

She teleported out of Discord's hands, "You're so mean."

Discord winked, "You know it."

~~~~~

Rainbow leaned against the window, keeping an eye out for Discord and Twilight.

"Are they coming?"

"No."

"Are they coming now?"

"No."

"How about now?"

"No."

"Now?"

Rainbow Dash groaned, "Ugh, NO! They're not coming yet!"

Pinkie frowned, "No need to be grumpy, Dashie. I want them to come, too. Just be patient. They'll be here soon."

Rainbow grumbled something under her breath, but it was unheard by Pinkie.

She looked back out of the window. Her eyes widened.

"What the hay?"

"What is it?"

Rainbow yelped, as Pinkie appeared right next to her, being held aloft by several colorful balloons.

Pinkie giggled then peered out the window, "Is that Discord?"

Rainbow quirked an eyebrow, "You mean, that thing that's currently plunging towards the ground at breakneck speeds?"

"Uh, yeah?"

Rainbow nodded, "I'd say so."

Pinkie squinted her eyes, "Well, they're on the ground now. It looks like Twilight's talking to him. Aaaaand, now it looks like they're heading this way."

"I'll tell the others."

Rainbow zoomed off towards the dining hall.

About seven and a half minutes later, the double doors opened.

Discord held the door open, allowing Twilight to walk in.

As soon as Twilight stepped into her castle, she began sniffing.

"What's that smell?"

Discord smirked, "I don't know, dear. What's it smell like?"

"Burnt fabric."

Discord's smirk immediately fell from his face, "What? No, it's not." He took a good whiff of the air.

He turned his nose up in disgust, "Oh...that's not right."

Twilight furrowed her eyebrows, "I hope Spike didn't sneeze fire again." She sniffed again, "Okay, now there's a new aroma in the air. But, I can't quite put my hoof on it."

Discord nudged her with his tail, "Why don't we try to find out?"

He allowed her to start walking, waiting until she was out of hearing range.

He quickly pulled out the crystal ball and rubbed it.

Fluttershy appeared on the surface. "Um, hello?"

"You mares had better be ready. She's heading there now."

Fluttershy gulped, "Uh...now?"

"YES, NOW!" He shouted a little too loudly, startling Fluttershy and Twilight.

Twilight turned around, "Discord?"

Discord stiffened up. He turned to face her, his front side away from her. "Uh, yeah? I'll catch up with you, Twi. Track down the source of this smelly situation."

Twilight kept her weary eyes on him, walking away and turning the corner.

Discord turned back to the orb, "Sorry about that. Now, she should arrive any moment. Are you all ready?"

Fluttershy hid behind her mane, "Um, n-no?"

Discord slapped his head hard, "For the love of chaos, how much more time do you need?!"

"Uh..."

"She's coming!" Pinkie whisper-screamed.

Discord groaned, rolling his eyes.

He quickly flashed away and reappeared next to Twilight.

The purple alicorn yelped, shooting five feet into the air.

"DISCORD! What did I tell you?"

Discord waved her off, "Yeah, yeah. It's not nice, yadda yadda yadda. No need to give me a second lecture."

Twilight huffed, "Well, I think I've located the source of the smell. It's coming from the dining hall."

Discord breathed in and out.

Well, it's now or never.

Despite his hesitance, he gave Twilight a smile. "The dining hall, you say? Well, let's see if your theory is correct."

He pushed the doors open with both of his hands.

Twilight gasped loudly, her eyes widening in total shock.

Discord grinned, "Surprise, Twilight! Happy Birthday!"

"What happened in here?"

Discord cringed, taking a look inside as well.

The five Element Bearers stood frozen stiff.

A banner saying Happy Birthday, Twilight was being held aloft in Rarity's magic.

Rainbow Dash was on the ground, holding a tray of smooshed cake in her hooves.

Pinkie was currently floating in the air with balloons strapped around her midsection, causing her hindquarters to rise above her.

On the top of Applejack's hat were perched four or five birds.

Fluttershy was next to her, cowering in fear.

Spike's eyes were covered by his claws.

Aside from that, streamers were strewn every which way, and confetti was spread all over the crystal floor.

Discord grimaced, looking over at Twilight, trying to read her reaction.

Twilight blinked, "Well...this was...unexpected."

Discord coughed, "You can say that again."

The Princess of Friendship walked into the dining hall, an amused smile on her face, "What exactly happened here?"

All at once, her friends all inputted their side of story.

Twilight rubbed her forehead as the many voices talking at once gave her a headache.

She held up her hooves, "All right, enough! I'm not even going to ask."

Discord groaned, "Good gravy, mares! I'm not even around, and chaos is happening! I'd normally be thrilled, but not in this case. This party was supposed to be perfect. And, I'm not even the one who ruined it."

Spike rubbed the back of his head, "Well, everything happened all at once."

Twilight blinked, turning to Discord, "Wait, what? Hold on. Whose idea was this?"

Everypony and dragon in the room gave a knowing smile, looking directly at Discord.

Rarity giggled, stifling her laughter with her hoof, "Well, darling, this whole surprise was organized by none other than Discord here."

Twilight gawked, "You put this all together?"

Discord smiled sheepishly, "Well, I can't take all the credit. Spike came up with the idea in the first place. I kinda just took off with it."

Twilight put a hoof to her chest, smiling affectionately, "Oh, Discord. You didn't have to do this."

Discord looked off to the side in shame, looking at the ponies in front of him, each giving him an encouraging nod.

He sighed, "Yes, I did. 'Cause, I, uh - kindaforgotaboutyourbirthday."

Twilight tilted her head at the rapid jumble of words that had come out of Discord's mouth.

"Uh, could you repeat that?"

He sighed again, "I forgot about your birthday."

Twilight's eyes softened, "Discord - "

" Please, dear, I'm being serious here. Allow me to continue."

Twilight relented, giving him a nod.

Discord rubbed his arm, "It's not like I forgot on purpose. I'd never do that. But, well, in case you haven't noticed by now, I kinda have a low attention span."

Twilight rolled her eyes, a knowing smile on her face.

"So, well, I wanted to make it up to you. You - you mean a lot to me, Twilight. And, well, I'd hate to see what we have end because I accidently forgot your birthday."

Twilight raised an eyebrow, "What are you talking - "

"I'm not done yet. You can comment afterwards." Discord clasped his hands behind his back.

"Anywho, yesterday I spent the entire day with Spike, making sure everything was perfect, despite it going against everything I stand for."

He narrowed his eyes, "Unfortunately, all that work is now meaningless thanks to noponies in particular." He sent a nasty glare to the other mares in the room.

Rainbow frowned, "Hey, it's not my fault Fluttershy's birds went haywire."

Fluttershy turned her head away from Rainbow angrily, "Loud noises scare them, Rainbow. Like a mare yelling, for starters."

Rainbow growled, "Well, if a certain somepony hadn't been driving me up the wall, maybe I wouldn't have yelled." She narrowed her eyes at Pinkie.

Pinkie crossed her hooves, still tied to the balloons, "Who are you talking about? All I did was ask you a question. IS THAT SO WRONG?!"

"You mean a bunch of questions."

Applejack raised an eyebrow at Rarity, "We'd have an eatable cake if somepony had kept an eye on the crystal orb."

Rarity gaped at her, visibly offended, "How dare you accuse me! I'm not responsible for that."

Rainbow flew over to her, "Who was that that volunteered to take care of it? Hmmm. Let me think."

"ENOUGH!!!"

The arguing mares immediately ceased their bickering. Even Discord had to take a step back at the sheer volume of that yell.

Twilight huffed, "Thank you. Now, look, I don't really care who did what. I didn't need any of this."

She exhaled, turning to Discord with a smile. "Discord, I don't blame you for forgetting. Honestly, it wasn't that much of a surprise."

That caused Discord to cringe, but he let her continue.

"But, I definitely wasn't expecting all of this. You did all of this, " she gestured to the somewhat decorated room, "for me."

She chuckled, "I'd imagine any other stallion going to extreme measures to make up for forgetting, but you? I must say, I am flattered."

Twilight flew up to look him in the eye, "But, like I said, I didn't need all of this. And, yet, you went through all of this trouble. I wasn't going to be mad. Not even a little bit. Because, I know you, Discord. And, well, the Lord of Chaos in unpredictable. You don't know what he's going to do next."

Discord stared at her with affection, smiling, "Well, I know what I'm going to do now."

Twilight, anticipating what he had in mind, instantly leaned forward. Their lips met as their eyes closed in bliss.

Rarity and Pinkie gushed at the romance.

Fluttershy simply smiled, taking care to cover Spike's eyes.

Rainbow Dash and Applejack chuckled under their breaths.

Discord and Twilight eventually parted.

He stroked her mane, "So, did you have a good birthday?"

Twilight smiled, leaning her head against his chest, "Yes, and it just got better."

Author's Note:

WOW...

THAT was a long chapter. I think this is the longest number of words in any of my chapters in any of stories.

There was just so much I wanted to say in this chapter.

And, well, I am very pleased with the results and this story. I only hope you are, too. Enjoy!

*Also, a side note, I Found Love: Discord and Twilight is being rewritten. More updates to come.