• Published 12th Apr 2016
  • 3,904 Views, 459 Comments

STAR WARS / FiM: Realms of the Heavens - Tathem_Relag



An Imperial expeditionary group exploring the Unknown Regions of the Galaxy encounters a planet far more bizarre - and, potentially, dangerous - than anything they could have possibly predicted.

  • ...
16
 459
 3,904

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Four: Base Delta Zero Effect

Ponyville Hospital
5:58 A.M.

Princess Celestia instinctively closed her eyes and turned her head away from the hundreds of energy blasts falling out of the sky toward her, even though her conscious mind knew that would be an utterly futile gesture against an attack capable of devastating the Everfree Forest in a matter of seconds. As she expected, light soon forced its ways past her eyelids, and she heard the sounds of explosions. However, the light wasn’t the red and green flashes she had anticipated, nor did the explosions bring waves of heat and the feeling of shrapnel tearing into her. Instead, she saw a rainbow-colored glow and felt suddenly rejuvenated. Tentatively opening her eyes, she was greeted by the sight of the transformed Element-Bearers floating in the air, projecting a light across all of Equestria that shielded it from the Imperial assault. Beyond the barrier, the sky was hidden by a roiling mass of fire, and the shield rippled from constant impacts.

Luna hurried next to her. “I don’t think these attackers intend to give up any time soon, and even the Elements cannot protect us forever. We must take the fight to them.”

Celestia hated taking the offensive, but she had to agree with her sister. These “humans” clearly only cared about causing as much destruction as possible. They had to be stopped, no matter what it took. Leaving the hospital and casting shields around themselves, the Royal Sisters flew upward, passing through the barrier, the cloud of fire, and the hail of energy continuously falling from space.

As they left the atmosphere, they expected to find hundreds of enemies about the same size as the white objects that had brought the humans to Equestria’s surface. Instead, they were faced with twelve massive constructs. The four smallest of them were taller than twenty-story buildings and longer than the Crystal Castle was tall. The two largest ones were well over twice that size. The two alicorns saw that only four of the larger objects were firing on the planet, and they flew in to attack.


System: E-9015 (TEMPORARY: AWAITING OFFICIAL DESIGNATION)
Coruscant Standard Time: 18:19

Admiral Gavrisom frowned as he watched the orbital bombardment. “Base Delta Zero” was the Imperial Navy code for the total annihilation of a planet’s surface – every single lifeform killed, every natural resource destroyed, the oceans boiled, and the soil melted. Against an unshielded planet, it would take his squadron’s four Vindicators less than a standard day, and that was what he had planned for. As powerful as this world’s inhabitants clearly were, he had not even imagined that they might have been able to produce a Force shield that could protect the entire planet. Still, he had an entire year’s worth of supplies, and he was sure that their shield would collapse in a week, at the most. After all, it wasn’t as if they had a planetary defense fleet that could –

“Admiral!” The shout came from his radar operator. “We have two Bogeys inbound from the planet’s surface!”

Of course they did. That was just the sort of karked-up day this had been. “Switch that designation to ‘Bandit,’ Lieutenant. Launch our fighters and have Captain Fanir move his line to intercept. All craft, raise shields. You are cleared to engage.”


Luna noticed the intensity of the energy coming from the four attackers decrease just before she let loose with her first beam of magic. A blue bubble of energy appeared around the leading object, blocking her attack, and then her sister’s. As the sisters unleashed more of their power against the shield, they noticed the four smallest objects turning towards them, and dozens upon dozens of the vehicles that had flown over Equestria the night before streaming out of openings at the bottom of the objects attacking the planet. They were forced to break off their offensive as hundreds of energy bolts converged on them. They managed to evade most of the shots, but enough hit their shields to threaten to break through and end the battle immediately.

The two sisters quickly found themselves driven away from the large objects in a desperate fight for their lives. But the alicorns were hardly helpless, even in the face of such overwhelming odds. Luna managed to position herself behind four of the vehicles and swept a beam of magic across them. To her surprise, they didn’t seem to be protected by the same energy that shielded the large objects, and they exploded quite spectacularly when the beam touched them. To her left, another of the vehicles exploded as Celestia made the same discovery. Five down… almost two hundred to go…


System: E-9015 (TEMPORARY: AWAITING OFFICIAL DESIGNATION)
Coruscant Standard Time: 18:37

Gavrisom forced himself not to let his tears fall as a twenty-seventh point of green light indicating a TIE/LN starfighter disappeared from his tactical display. He knew that the fighters and their pilots were essentially disposable, and that losses were inevitable in warfare, but he still cared about each and every one of the men under his command, even if it was impossible for him to actually get to know all of them. The fact that he was throwing good men against a foe that so clearly outclassed them made the pain even worse. After the Battle of Ogoth Tiir, he personally knew how much it hurt lose a son. It had been almost a decade, and he was proud of Tam’s sacrifice, but the ache never quite disappeared. As yet another light – yet another life – blinked out of existence, he resolved to personally write all of the letters of condolences to their families.

His comm officer walking over brought him out of his introspection. Usually, the young lieutenant just shouted out any pertinent information, or had him come over to look over at the screen. “Sir,” the boy said quietly, “you have a maximum-priority message awaiting you in the holocomm room. Sir, it’s…” The young man swallowed, then managed to finish,

“It’s the Emperor.”

PreviousChapters Next