• Published 12th Apr 2016
  • 3,901 Views, 458 Comments

STAR WARS / FiM: Realms of the Heavens - Tathem_Relag



An Imperial expeditionary group exploring the Unknown Regions of the Galaxy encounters a planet far more bizarre - and, potentially, dangerous - than anything they could have possibly predicted.

  • ...
16
 458
 3,901

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Way of Sion

Everfree Imperial Garrison
3:05 A.M.

Twilight smiled down at what would soon become her very first kill as he coughed up more blood and vainly tried to get back to his feet. “So, ‘Master,’” she sneered. “What does it feel like to die? You’ll have to tell me, seeing as I won’t ever be experiencing it myself. And please – spare no detail.” She used her telekinesis to make him look up at her. “I want to hear every excruciating gasp, every scream of unbelievable agony. I am an intellectual, after all, and I don’t have much information about human anatomy. You can help me by filling in exactly where you have the most nociceptors.”

Malen spat out yet more blood, plus several teeth. “Go ask… a torture droid… you schutta. I… won’t give you… the pleasure.”

“Tsk, tsk! That language is hardly appropriate for such a high-ranking official, now is it?”

“Go… to… Chaos.”

Twilight sighed. “I see you intend to be difficult. Oh well. Might as well get on with the tests anyways. First up, how does it feel…” she shifted her grip and squeezed, eliciting a high-pitched shriek from the helpless Inquisitor. “To not be able to have foals?” She drank in his gasps and squeaks for a few moments. “Extremely painful, I see. You did so enjoy those particular organs, didn’t you? Well, don’t worry. It won’t hurt for too much longer. Next, why don’t we…”

She trailed off as a mixed platoon of CompForce and Army troops rushed around the corner and leveled their blasters at her. She turned to them with a glare. “Stay back, you pathetic apes! Can’t you see that I’ve defeated your leader? I am your High Inquisitor now.”

They exchanged confused looks, and bizarrely, through all his pain, Malen laughed. “You fool. That’s Sith philosophy, not Army chain of command. You haven’t taken over – you’ve signed the death warrant for your entire species! Any who don’t renounce you will die. And you’re quite popular, aren’t you? How many ponies do you think will still be alive when we’re done? One hundred? Two?”

Twilight redirected her scowl at him. There was something very… wrong… about the way he said that. His voice sounded both more and less strained than before. “So what?” she snapped. “Do you really think your troops can stop me? I could tear them apart before they even managed to leave the Everfree, much less kill everypony!”

He smiled back at her, and suddenly, she heard a variety of creaks, hisses, and rumbles come from the wall behind him. “Perhaps the infantry. But how do you think you’ll fare…” The “wall” lifted up, revealing a small horde of AT-STs, several AT-PTs, an A5 Juggernaut, and another half-platoon of troops. “Against an entire armor company? Give it a few minutes, and you’ll have a couple dozen fighters on you, too. And have you somehow forgotten about our fleet in orbit? We don’t need to kill you before we destroy your world.”

She hissed. Her entire plan had revolved around the humans either falling into line or scattering in terror once she defeated the Inquisitor. After all, they were too afraid to challenge him, so why wouldn’t they be too afraid to fight somepony stronger than him? Their priorities and sense of self-preservation were clearly erratic. “I’ve killed you. Why. Are. You. Gloating?!

Malen laughed again. “Oh, my wayward, arrogant, stupid apprentice. For all your power in the Dark Side, you’ve failed to grasp one of its central tenants – a failure you share with many Darksiders before you. You see, the Dark Side feeds off of fear and pain, as you’ve oh-so-eagerly proven that you know. But what don’t seem to realize is that those don’t have to be your enemy’s emotions. The Dark Side is the path of survival, of self-preservation. Fear and pain – the realization that you may lose your life and the sensation of it slipping away – are merely reminders that you still have a life to preserve. If you accept those feelings in yourself, nurture them, you feed the Dark Side’s power, and it rewards you by channeling some of that power back to you. So if you want to kill a Darksider, you’d better do it quick. Because as long as we’re alive, we can use our injuries to make ourselves stronger. And I’m not. Dead. Yet!” His eyes flashed yellow, and he raised his mangled hand, a torrent of lightning spilling from it.

It splashed off the shield she raised, as did the hail of rifle and autocannon bolts. But the sheer kinetic energy knocked her through the air, and as soon as she was more than five meters away from any Imperials, there were thirty-four resounding thwumps as vehicle-mounted grenade launchers unleashed their payloads. Her shield shattered under the assault, and she was sent tumbling, stunned and bleeding, into the Everfree Forest.

Malen pushed himself to his feet with a roar of agony, his already-light skin adopting a deathly pallor. “Chase her down!” he commanded. “Don’t let her escape!” He lifted his right hand, and his lightsaber flew into it. As the vehicles and troops flooded into the forest, Lieutenant Sadic ran up to him.

“Sir! You must let us get you to a bacta tank! There may still be time to reattach –”

“Don’t presume to tell me what I ‘must’ do. I’m following her. If I lose my finger as a result, then so be it. She cannot be allowed to go unpunished, or to tell anyone what’s happened to her over these past two-and-a-half weeks.”

“Ah. Yes, sir. I’ll assemble the squad, and then we can –”

No. You’re staying here, Lieutenant. I want the storm commandos to remain a secret weapon.”

“Understood, sir.”

Malen stalked off into the forest, following the trail of destroyed vegetation, the sounds of explosions, and his apprentice’s unmistakable Force signature. He could feel the fractures in his legs grinding with every step, but he accepted the unspeakable agony. It made him stronger. And Twilight Sparkle would pay for hurting him.

PreviousChapters Next