• Published 25th Apr 2016
  • 3,654 Views, 77 Comments

For the Good of Equestria - brokenimage321



In the wake of a great tragedy, Celestia tells, for the first time, just how much she's had to sacrifice for the good of Equestria.

  • ...
0
 77
 3,654

Chapter 18: The Calm

Any other day, it would have been an inspiring sight.

Just south of the Azure River—the furthest border of Crystal territory—stood the Alliance line. Celestia had sent out the call weeks ago, but even she had been astonished at how many had actually come: from where she flew above them, she could see ponies from all across the Alliance: flights of Cloudsdale fighters, armored axeponies from the plains, ice archers from Old Equestria—even lancers from the Desert Confederacy, wearing shapeless brown sandcloaks.

And yet…

Celestia slowly turned. Just on the other side of the river, standing in long, even rows, stood the Crystal Army. He had done it. She didn’t know how, but he had done it.

Sombra had parted the storm.

When he left the city, King Sombra had brought with him a piece of the shield that protected it. A small piece, to be sure—but enough to allow his forces, properly supplied with skis and snowshoes, to cross the icy plains in a matter of days, rather than the weeks they had expected. Celestia hadn’t believed her scouts, and had flown out to see for herself. And still she could barely believe it, even with the evidence right in front of her.

And now, there they stood—thousands of them, in neat rows, all of them shining in the twilight. Behind them stood rows and rows of crystal huts—sown in the ground like seeds as soon as the army arrived, and ready to inhabit within hours, Between the two camps flowed the Azure River itself, deep and fast, crossed only by a small wooden footbridge.

And it was only a matter of time before they figured out a way across.

Celestia dived back down to the ground and landed lightly on a nearby hilltop. There, a dozen generals stood around an impromptu table, arguing over a map. Celestia approached them, crunching her way through the light crust of snow, and slipped into the spot that opened for her.

She nodded to the assembled officers—captains and generals from all across the Alliance. Some she had requested by name. Others simply showed up with their troops. She had not expected so many, but, if this Alliance was ever going to survive, she had to learn to work with all of them.

She looked down at the map, though she already had it memorized. Two forces, one black, one white, ranged on either side of a river—the whites on the neutral side, the blacks on the Crystal. The only way across the river was that small, wooden bridge, met by a muddy footpath on either side.

“Nothing’s changed,” she said, glancing down at the map. “They’re just… standing there.”

“It is as I said,” blustered Grand Marshall Caballus, one of the unicorn commanders. He puffed out his chest a little, making the insignia of the Old Equestrian Guard shine on his chest. “The Crystals know they can’t cross that bridge en mass, and the river flows too fast for them. They’re only here for show.” He looked up at Celestia. “Your Highness,” he pleaded, “let’s hit them first. Send some pegasi over to ruffle their manes a bit, hm? Give ‘em a taste of what the Alliance can do, eh? That’ll make ‘em slither right back to their holes—”

No,” Celestia said firmly, cutting him off. “As I’ve said—we are here to contain, not to conquer.” She reached over and pushed a black figure forward, over the river. “If they try to expand, you have my permission to hit them with everything we have. We must protect the ponies under our care. But until then—” she pushed the figure back. “You have your orders, Grand Marshall.”

He bowed. “Yes, Your Highness,” he said, a faint growl in his voice.

As Celestia watched him, she felt a faint twinge of sadness. Back in the day, back when he had just been a Captain in the Guard, they had gotten along much better—in fact, he seemed almost starstruck some days. But now…

She shook her head. No. Time rolled on for everyone, and the years were not always kind. To wish otherwise was pointless, at best.

“In any case,” she sighed, “It’s starting to get dark. Set a double watch before you send everyone to bed.”

Silence.

“Your Highness?” asked Storm Cell, one of the mares leading the Cloudsdale flights.

“Yes?” Celestia replied, raising an eyebrow.

“Your Highness—” Storm began, then hesitated. “Highness, they glow.”

Celestia waited for her to continue, but Storm looked down at her hooves. “Your point?” Celestia prompted.

“If they glow at night,” Storm said, “Then… perhaps a single watch will be enough. We could see them coming a mile away.”

Celestia swallowed. “Double watch,” she said firmly. “I hear what you’re saying, but…” She looked over her shoulder at the Crystal forces, still standing neatly in their lines. And she thought she saw, on top of a low ridge on the far side of the army, a dark unicorn. Just standing there. Watching them. “...I don’t trust him,” she finished. “Their king is a crafty one.”

Storm Cell bowed. “Yes, Your Highness.”

She sighed. “Try and get some rest, all of you. And be ready for anything.”

Celestia turned and walked away, followed by a chorus of Yes, your Highness-es. As she walked back to her tent, snow crunching underhoof, she sighed again. Get some rest, she’d told them. She wished she could, but the circumstances wouldn’t allow it; she had too much to manage, too much to command. and, even when she could get a few hours to herself, her mind would rarely allow her a moment’s peace.

And then, there was Luna.

Celestia lifted the flap to Luna’s tent and stepped inside. She hesitated, then sighed.

Luna lay on her cot, asleep, a thick quilt pulled halfway over her. Her mane was a mess—most of the little lights had even gone out—and next to her, on the cot, lay a half-eaten plate of stew, long cold. She still had dark bags under her eyes and tears dried on her cheeks, and, even sleeping, she looked restless.

Celestia watched her breathe for a moment, then quietly stepped forward. She kissed Luna gently on the cheek, then, with her magic, lifted the plate and pulled the quilt up to her chin. She stepped out of the tent, then returned a few moments later with a damp rag. She bent down and carefully wiped the tears from Luna’s cheeks—making her stir and moan a little—then turned away to look for a manebrush. By the time she found one, Luna had pulled the quilt over her head

“What do you want?” she asked, her voice halfway between a whine and a groan.

Celestia hesitated. “I wanted to make sure you were okay,” she said, carefully.

“Go away,” Luna moaned.

Celestia carefully set down the brush, then sat on the cot next to her. For a moment, she chewed her lip uncertainly.

“Listen,” she said, finally, “About Sombra—”

Shut up,” Luna snapped, more despair than malice in her voice.

Celestia closed her eyes. “I… I know you miss him,” she said. “And I hope to Harmony I’m wrong… But…” She swallowed, but did not speak again.

Finally, after several long moments, she leaned over and began to rub Luna’s shoulders through the quilt. “Luna?” she said. “I love you. You remember that, right?”

Luna did not respond.

Celestia continued rubbing gently for a while, then stopped with a sigh. She stood and walked towards the tent flap. On the threshold, she paused, then glanced back at Luna.

And, from under the blanket, Luna looked back. She glanced away when Celestia saw her, but, after a moment, turned to watch her again.

Celestia smiled faintly, then walked out, letting the flap fall behind her.