• Published 9th Aug 2016
  • 2,098 Views, 135 Comments

The Key to the Light - KingJoltik



Celestia had been looking for the one that will unlock the door to the light for years. What she found was Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
6
 135
 2,098

PreviousChapters Next
Early Days, Part 4: The First Change

Despite my best intentions, I believe there are serious dangers in my research over 'The Key'. It seems to be an object that not only can involve itself in both light and darkness, but can also link itself to other worlds. Other worlds! And I thought the mirror I created was bad enough! It seems I'm destined to find other realms of existence. I just hope these other worlds do not have as many consequences as the one I originally found.

-Starswirl, Report 8

"Taxes, bill, petitions...sweet suns, it never changes does it?" Celestia groaned as she attempted to gulp down a cup of coffee. Unfortunately, it seemed to be empty. "Assistant! I need another cup!"

"Yes your majesty." the assistant said with a nod.

"I can't believe the nonsense those nobles cook up. Half of this garbage is nothing but greedy demands and-"

"Your majesty..." the assistant twiddled her hooves as she spoke up, "We um...we can all hear you."

"I know." Celestia moaned. The alicorn cocked her eyebrow as she glanced at her companions in the room. "Tell me something, do you think that really matters?"

"Er...no?"

"Exactly. Get me another cup. Now."

"Yes your majesty."

Celestia sighed as she signed another paper and began to think, Hmm...I hope Twilight is okay. I know it was only yesterday when she summoned the keyblade and yet...I probably should talk to her after her classes today. Thank goodness we have a name for the keyblade now, I got sick of saying 'The Key'. Celestia switched to another paper and let out a groan. Great holy suns! There is not enough coffee in the world for all of this nonsense! Augh! I need another cup...and a stiff triple vanilla lemon cake.

She let out another yawn. Hmm...I also need to do some more research. I know Starswirl wrote something about dreams in one of his scrolls in terms of the keyblade, I hope that hasn't happened to Twilight yet. What was it called again? I think it was...'Dive into the Heart' maybe? A snort released itself from her nostrils as she began reading the last piece of paper. Hmm...why do I have a bad feeling about all of this? I know I shouldn't but... Celestia put the final paper aside. Maybe I need a vacation first. Though knowing my luck, something will go wrong today.


The classes flew by for Twilight. Though she knew why they were flying by, she still couldn't stop thinking about it. She just couldn't stop thinking about that dream. It consumed her very mind, the shadows, the keyblade, the ponies on the glass pillars. Everything inside that dream just kept swirling in her mind. I wish I could've talked to Princess Celestia about that dream this morning but...I just need to make sure I talk to the princess later today. she thought as she laid her head on her desk. She knew that regularly, she would be bright and ready for class. She loved to learn, listening to the lessons of the teacher. However, she could only show a expression of despair and confusion. Just what was that? Just what was that dream? Those ponies on those glass pillars...there was that one with Princess Celestia and that other pony. And then there was that one with-

"Twilight?" a voice said, snapping Twilight back into reality.

"Huh?!"

"Class is over for today. You can leave now."

"Oh...okay. Thank you Miss Cinch." Twilight said as she left her chair, grabbing her saddlebags. She shuffled into the hallway as she made her way back to the throne room. Her tiny head stared at the floor as she walked down the hall. Wow...I'm really distracted today. Maybe I should stop by the school library before I meet the princess. I mean, she was obviously super busy this morning since the guards asked me to go to class first. That and a good book always cheers me up. Twilight looked up and saw the hallways in front of her. Hmm...maybe I should go say hi to Spike before I get myself a book.

It wasn't long till the little filly ended up in the library. To her, this place was the closest thing to paradise. The rows of books covered the walls as her eyes shined in delight at the very sight before her. "You see Spike? I told you this place was amazing." she said to her little friend riding her back. His reaction was slightly less happy and more along the combination of confused and curious.

"Kupo kupo."

"I know right?" Twilight responded as she went down the first row of books. "They have every genre here! The have romance, adventure, history..." Unfortunately for Spike, Twilight's ranting made it impossible for her to notice that he was already bored. His pom-pom on his head drooped down at the sight, showing he probably wanted something to eat or to play with rather than interact with the books he couldn't even read. Instead, the filly skipped down the aisles in glee as her moogle friend just laid down on her back.

"Oooh! How about this one Spike? It's called: The Art of the To-Do List. Sounds like it's right up my alley!" Twilight said as the book floated in front of her. "Or how about this one? Or maybe this one?!"

"Kupo..." Spike groaned as his wings twitched in response.

"You're right, maybe I should try fiction for now...like this one: The Jungle Book or a book about one happy song and nothing else. Sounds like a happy story, huh?"

"Ku...po..." Spike yawned, his eyes slowly closing.

"Or how about this one? It's uh...The Lion King or Hamlet with a happy ending. Wait...that sounds kinda depressing."

"Ku...zzz..." a slight snore released itself from Spike's red nose.

"I agree Spike, maybe I should-huh?" Twilight stopped herself, seeing a certain book in the bookshelf. "Now that's odd Spike, this book doesn't a have title on it's spine." A magic aura engulfed the book as it came closer to the filly. "It doesn't have a cover either. Not a title in sight, is it inside the book?"

Two filly hooves tapped the sides of the book as Twilight began trying to open the book. "What the-is it stuck? Why isn't it opening?"

The filly put her companion down on the ground as she began to fiddle with the book. Her stubby little hooves shook the book as she tried and tried to pull it open. "Hmm...I don't think I can open it Spike. Does it have some kind of magical lock?" An aura covered the book again, trying to open the book as well. "That's not working either."

The book was gently placed onto the floor as Twilight hovered over the novel. It was this moment that she felt she had to open this book. She wasn't sure why, but it felt like the book was challenging her to open it. She gave it one last try as she began to grab it's edges one last time. "Come on, open up little guy!"

Though the book continued to remain shut, Twilight was convinced it could be opened. However, she soon found out that what she thought was true. As her hooves struggled to open the tiny novel, a certain light began to shine from the book. "Huh? Did I finally get it?" she said as the light got bigger and bigger as the sides of the book began to split apart. Twilight blinked in response as the light blasted itself out of the book and into her eyes. As the light engulfed her and her companion she could only try to cover her eyes before saying, "What the-"

But that was all that could be said. After that, the hallway in the school's library became empty as a small book let out a resounding thud as it hit the floor. Silence soon followed as both the filly and moogle had disappeared, leaving only a book with no cover on the floor.


Meanwhile...

"So..." a certain cloaked pony asked, it's hoof tapping another pony's shoulder. The cloaked pony was at the bottom of the mountain where Canterlot was situated on. The concealed schemer shined a smile as it looked down at another significantly smaller cloaked pony. The smaller of the two wore a jet black cloak as well, though a small horn poked out of the hood. The cloak didn't fully fit the small foal's head, but it hid the pony's identity regardless. "Are you ready my dark apprentice?"

"Y-y-yes." the small pony stuttered, it's voice shaking. It's tiny hooves trembled at the very sight of the other cloaked pony.

"Good. What is your mission?"

"I-I-it is..." the filly then shut her mouth, stopping the fleeing words.

"What did you just say?!" the other pony said in a grim tone, a dark flame appearing in the pony's hoof. The hoof clenched with the dark flame, veins appearing on the edges of the hoof. "What. Is. Your. Mission?!"

"T-t-to show the p-p-ponies the terror of the Heartless." the filly's hooves shook in response as a large thick black aura covered her body. Her mouth tried to not say anything, only to keep talking from the dark magic. "To s-s-show them that the d-d-darkness will conquer all hearts."

"Good. Remember my little apprentice, I will destroy your heart if you defy me." The larger one hissed. The filly just shook.

"Y-y-yes master."

"I am my Master's Servant and you are beneath me. That makes you less than a worm. Remember that." the tall one said as it's burning hoof waved in front of the filly's face. "Do not fail me."

"I know." the filly gulped, "Please d-d-don't destroy my h-h-heart."

"If you obey, everything will be fine." The bigger pony nodded, the dark flame slowly fading from it's hoof. "Now, even though that is your main mission...you will not fully accomplish it unless you achieve one certain goal. What is that goal?"

"T-t-to eliminate the new keyblade bearer."

"Exactly. Now...attack Canterlot with the Heartless! Destroy their streets and tear apart every single building! Drown the city in fear!" the cloaked pony raised it's hoof and tightened it, a small hidden grin shined on it's face. One by one, Heartless after Heartless appeared around the two, a thick shadowy mist surrounding the duo. The pony then pointed to the magnificent city in front of them. "Show them the true power of darkness!"

The smaller cloaked pony gave a small hesitant nod as she stared at the city. Her hoof grabbed her hood and slowly took it off, showing a small white haired blue filly. A nasty, smoke filled aura surrounded the filly, a red glow floating around her eyes. "D-d-don't worry m-m-master. The G-g-great and P-p-p-powerful Trixie will show them the true terror of the darkness!"

Author's Note:

Uh-oh! Looks like trouble's brewing! Another character enters the stage as the wheels begin to turn...

Also, to all who can probably guess what happened to Twilight....yes, its probably what you think it is.

Hope you enjoyed the chapter!

PreviousChapters Next