• Published 9th Aug 2016
  • 2,098 Views, 135 Comments

The Key to the Light - KingJoltik



Celestia had been looking for the one that will unlock the door to the light for years. What she found was Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
6
 135
 2,098

PreviousChapters Next
The Darkness Within, Chapter 5: The Card of Fate

Darkness. It is said that the beginning of all things began in Darkness. Though even if I believe that, the very nature of the Darkness is...unnatural. It is a force of nature that tries everyway to make itself...not be a force of nature. The very idea of such a thing is...wrong. Almost too wrong. This requires further studies.

-Starswirl, Report 33

"So...Trixie is gonna ask again. How does Trixie activate this card?" she said as she tapped Radiant's side. The unicorn was putting the last of the dishes away with her magic.

"Seriously?" Radiant replied with a cocked eyebrow. She then bent down to Trixie's level and hugged her shoulder. "Why don't we do that tomorrow dear?"

"But Trixie is ready! Trixie wants to do it now!"

"No." Radiant patted the filly's head as she took the card away. "You have plenty of time little one. We'll start your training tomorrow just like Twilight was supposed to start hers tomorrow."

"Grrr..." Trixie growled as she turned away and pouted. "Trixie is already ready."

"I know you are. But now is not the time." Radiant said as the card levitated through the air. It soon rested on a nearby shelf as Radiant let out a yawn. "Besides, you spent most of the day climbing a freezing mountain and just got finished with a feast of a meal. You need some rest dear. We have plenty of time to train tomorrow, alright?"

"Fine." Trixie grumbled as she started to leave the room. "But Trixie wants to start as soon as Trixie gets up."

"That's fine...unless you get up at like three in the morning. Then it's not fine. I need my beauty sleep."

A few minutes later, the blue filly found herself in the room she had been given. Turns out, over half of the rooms in Radiant Hope's castle were empty, mainly due to her having no guests. She explained it as: "Ponies tend to stick to grasslands. The cold is something they love to ignore after all."

As the filly grumbled her way into her new resting place, an aura covered her bed covers as she plopped down onto the bed. "Trixie can't believe Trixie has to sleep here and not get rid of Trixie's darkness already. Stupid Radiant Hope. Trixie wants to do it now." she pouted as she stuffed her face into the pillow. "All Trixie wanted to do is activate that card..."

Despite this thought, Trixie just laid, staring at the ceiling. She didn't want to close her eyes, she didn't want to go to sleep. All she could think of was that card. That card that Radiant said would help her with the darkness. That was why she was here, wasn't it? That's why she did that crazy hike with Twilight. It was the very reason that she even agreed to help Princess Celestia instead of attacking her again.

All to get rid of that blasted darkness.

"Trixie should just go and use that card right now." she said to herself. Despite saying this, her mind took a while to catch up. Five minutes and thirty-two seconds to be exact. "Wait a minute...that's it!"

The idea finally cemented into her filly brain, she quickly hopped off the bed and rushed to the door. It was here that realized she was going to have to sneak around a castle she didn't know in order to get what she wanted. This could be tough. she thought as she creaked open the door, staring at the hallway outside of her room. Oh yeah...I don't know where Radiant's room is. In fact, I have no idea where anything is in this castle.

Some time later...

After what seemed like hours for Trixie, she found what she believed to be Radiant's room. She slowly peeked inside, barely turning the door as it let out a small creaking noise. There, she saw Radiant Hope, fully sprawled out on her bed, complete with snores that could wake the dead. The filly's eyes scanned the room, trying to find the card. Her pupils soon saw the prize as her horn continued her's eyes work. A small shine glimmered from her horn as the card slowly levitated outside of the room. Placing it in her mane, the filly tiphoofed down the hallway, trying to not make a single sound.

Soon, after the small ordeal, Trixie found herself in the main room where they had had their first meeting with Radiant Hope. This room will do. she thought to herself as she stared deeply into the card. Her horn began to alight again as the card started to float in front of her. Alright...now, how do I activate this?


Meanwhile...

Twilight let out a small yawn as she entered her new room in Radiant Hope's castle. She had just returned from the bathroom and fully ready to go to bed. It had been a long day after all, hiking up the mountain, getting beat up by Flash, and fighting the Neoshadow Heartless. She had definitely earned her rest, just like Spike did as he laid down on a small cushion across from her new bed. Smiling at the already snoozing moogle, Twilight decided to do the same and plopped down onto her comfortable mattress.

"Ahhh..." she moaned as her head laid down on that pillow. "So tired...too long of a day..."

The filly blinked several times as she laid there, trying to close her eyes. But she couldn't. She didn't know why. Part of her was thinking that she was so tired that she couldn't fall asleep. Which didn't really make sense in her mind. The other part was pretty sure it was the fact that she had gone through this entire day without reading a single thing. Okay, that wasn't true. She did read some on the train ride over to the bottom of the mountain. However, she never got to what she really wanted to start reading.

The Starswirl Reports.

Celestia had given her reports one through forty and Twilight couldn't wait to study them. That and several advanced magic tomes that Starswirl and Clover had made. Celestia had revealed to Twilight that even though she never published the Starswirl Reports, several of his works were also not allowed to be read by the public eye. The knowledge and magic of these tomes were considered to be...too advanced for normal unicorns. Therefore, they were published in limited quantity and Celestia had deemed Twilight worthy of such readings. As such, one of the tomes was covered in a magical aura as it floated up to Twilight.

Maybe I'll just read one chapter before bed. she thought to herself as her horn shined a tiny light, just enough to read the letters. And then I'll-

"AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!" screamed a voice, causing Twilight to let out a yelp as the tome went flying off the bed.

"What was that?!" Twilight yelled as she scrambled to get her bearings. "It sounded like...Trixie!"

Sensing danger, Twilight quickly summoned her keyblade, the sword firmly grit between her teeth. She turned to Spike, who was still sleeping on his pillow. Thank goodness the little guy is such a heavy sleeper. she thought to herself as she quickly paced out of the room, slowly closing the door to not disturb the slumbering moogle. After confirming the door to be firmly shut, she rushed down the hallway. A few seconds later, she arrived at Trixie's room.

"Trixie? Are you alright?" she said as she opened the door, her keyblade in her hoof now.

No response.

"That's not good." the filly said to herself as she closed the door. "Where could she have-"

"Why? WHY?!" said the same screaming voice. Twilight's ears twitched as she heard the sound come from across the hall. She soon turned and followed the noise, trying to get to it as soon as possible.

"Trixie?! Are you okay?!" Twilight exclaimed as she entered the main room, only to come to a screeching halt. "What in the-"

Twilight couldn't utter another word. Instead, she just sat there as watched Trixie shivered in fear at the sight before her. What was in front of Trixie was no Heartless, but a pony with a long black cloak on. Twilight let out a small gasp as she glanced between the cloaked individual and Trixie. What is going on? Who is that?!

"Why...why are you here?!" Trixie yelled, sweat pouring down her face. "This...why is this happening to Trixie?!"

"Isn't it obvious?" the cloaked pony replied as it presented it's hoof with a chuckle.

It was then that Twilight noticed something. Twilight couldn't tell if the pony was a mare or a stallion. Her brain instantly clicked at the sight. Voice magic. This pony is using magic to mask it's voice! she thought as she slowly approached Trixie, her hoof gripping her blade. Whoever this pony is, it sure isn't friendly. Trixie wouldn't look so scared if it wasn't!

The cloaked pony then let out a hollow bellowing laugh that made shivers go down both fillies spines. The pony then pointed it's hoof at Trixie, a cheshire grin gradually appearing under the hood. "Well Trixie?"

"Trixie doesn't...Trixie doesn't know."

"But you do. After all, what did Radiant Hope tell you about the card?"

"It'll bring out what your heart fears most." said another voice. Twilight and Trixie turned their heads to see both Radiant and Flash. Radiant hooves were crossed with a disapproving look. "Couldn't wait, could you Trixie?"

"Uh...er...." Trixie stuttered, only for another laugh to come out of the cloaked pony.

"That's right! She couldn't wait to bring me out!" the pony said as it continued to laugh. "After all, I'm the one who ruined her life! I'm the one that she fears day and night, both here and in her nightmares! I am The Servant!"

"Th-that can't-urk!" Trixie muttered before a hoof grabbed her neck, choking her.

"Be quiet you piece of filth! Did you forget what I did to you?! Did you forget that I destroyed everything you love and care about?! Did you forget that I am the one that you fear the most?!" The Servant yelled as it then slammed Trixie's body in the floor, a yell of pain echoing from her lips. "I am the one that taught you everything you worthless bug! I am The Servant!"

"Trixie!" Twilight screamed as she quickly pointed her keyblade directly at The Servant. As she was about to release a blizzard spell, Flash quickly rushed in and stood in front of her. "Get out of the way Flash, I have to help her!"

"You will do no such thing!" Radiant yelled as she appeared behind Twilight, quickly grabbing her hoof. "She summoned that from her heart and now she must deal with it!"

"But-"

"No buts!" Radiant said as she turned Twilight around, their faces staring each other down. "Do not interfere."

"She's right. Trixie is on her own with this." Flash replied, placing his hoof on Twilight's shoulder. "She has to face her darkness Twilight."

"But-"

"They are right." chuckled the Servant, it's hoof still strangling Trixie's throat. "After all, I am the one who taught her the ways of darkness. It would be fitting that I break her as well."

"Why you-"

"STOP IT TWILIGHT!"

The voice made Twilight stop dead in her tracks. It was Trixie who had said that, causing Twilight's keyblade to dismiss itself. Twilight wanted to respond, only for Trixie to speak up again.

"It's okay Twilight...Trixie can do this." Trixie gasped, trying to talk as both of her hooves struggled against the Servant's. "Trixie...has to beat...this monster. Trixie will..."

"But Trixie-"

"Just...just believe in Trixie. After all...what did Trixie tell you when we first became friends?"

"I..." Twilight's ears folded as she relived the memory. "You have the honor of becoming the Great and Powerful Trixie's first friend. That's what you told me."

"Exactly." Trixie replied as she finally got The Servant's hoof off her neck. "And Trixie's gonna show you why Trixie is the Great and Powerful Trixie!"

"Trixie..." Twilight gasped, her hoof over her mouth. However, their moment was quickly and rudely interrupted.

"AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!" laughed The Servant, it's mouth spewing out spit as it glared at the ceiling in delight. "That's right! You think you're special, don't you?! A little insignificant piece of bug ridden garbage like you thinks they're special!" The Servant then cocked it's head back down with a malicious grin. "Let's see if your pride and arrogance can deal with my power!"

Before anypony could do anything else, The Servant clapped it's hooves. A split second later, darkness covered both the filly and the cloaked pony, causing the others to quickly backpedal. The darkness spread like a thick fog around them until it formed into what looked like a giant dark jet-black orb, imprisoning them both.

"Trixie!" Twilight yelled, quickly charging the orb and striking it with her keyblade. A loud CLONK! could be heard as the keyblade did no damage to the orb. "Trixie! Trixie!"

"Stop it Twilight! It's over!" Flash said as he grabbed the filly as she continued to hit the orb. "That's not helping!"

"Lemme go! I have to help her!"

"It's too late Twilight." Radiant said as her magic covered Twilight, quickly suspending her in the air. "All we can do now...is sit here and wait." Radiant let out a small sigh as she stared at the orb, air expelling out of her nostrils. That cloaked pony...it wasn't The Master. That pony's body was a bit different from The Master and the masked voice was different as well.

Radiant stomped one of her hooves in frustration as she stared at the dark orb, her teeth gritting. So...that was The Servant, loyal minion of The Master. Guess that monster is still around, huh? Flash turned and saw the anger in Radiant's eyes. He had never seen anything like it from his adoptive mother. He'd seen disappointment or frustration from her, but not this. This was hatred.

Radiant let out another sigh as she tried to calm herself. Her expression changed to a compassionate one as she began to imagine what was going on inside the dark orb. Oh Trixie, please don't be like him. Please...you have to do it. You can conquer your inner darkness.


Meanwhile...

Hmm? What's this? thought The Master as it's eyes suddenly opened, the pony's slumber interrupted by a sudden surge down the pony's spine. This is...darkness? No...not quite. Though it feels like The Servant. That's strange...

Quickly clapping it's hooves, a small orb appeared in The Master's room. "Show me where this darkness is." the pony said as the orb began to show several images. It soon showed Radiant's castle, causing The Master to rub it's chin. Ah, so that's it. It was Trixie. I'm guessing Radiant Hope must be behind this. Guess she's trying to help her dispel the darkness. How foolish...but interesting nonetheless.

The Master ascended from the bed and slowly entered another room. There, The Servant was instructing four ponies, all of them with blank expressions on their faces. The Master smiled at the sight, the pony loved seeing the strained looks on the four's faces. The cloaked pony could only chuckle at the fear that the dark pony could sense under those blank expressions. Ah, nothing better than seeing ponies become pawns of darkness.

The Servant then turned and quickly bowed. "Master, did you need something?"

The Master shook it's head. "No no, I'm fine. I was just wondering...did you feel that sudden dark presence a few moments ago?"

"Dark presence? Hold on..." The Servant closed it's eyes as it started to concentrate. A second later, the pony shook in slight shock. "What the-it feels like there's another me somewhere else!"

"I thought so." The Master then patted The Servant's shoulder with a chuckle. "Eh, don't worry about it. After all..." The Master then shined a huge malicious smile, one that made the Servant shine a similar grin. "I have an idea about what we should do with that dark presence."

"Is that so? May I ask what?"

"Well...we'll see once my apprentice returns. She should be back shortly after dealing with the offworlders." The Master then rubbed it's chin as it looked at the four other ponies, their faces showing nothing but fear now. The presence of The Master was overwhelming for the four as the dark pony merely shook it's head again. "Let's just hope she showed those outsiders their place."


Meanwhile, in another part of Equestria...

"What the-what is this?!" yelled Cait Sith as he bonked Hope on the head. "Why are we still on this world?! Why didn't you teleport us directly to the ship?!"

Hope swatted the cat's fist away as he replied. "The ship is too far away so I had the transporter send us somewhere else on this rock, okay?"

"But the transporter might not have enough energy to get us back to the ship now!"

Hope could only sigh at the cat's panic before shoving his hoof in the feline's mouth. "It'll be fine. Come on, let's back to the ship and get going."

"Alright...Reeve isn't going to like this." Cait said as they began to walk.

Hope patted him on the back as he replied. "Just call him back, everything will be fine."

Some time later, the duo finally arrived at their ship. They both let out a sigh of relief as no one had found their optically cloaked ship, completely invisible to the naked eye. After finding the hidden entrance, the two entered inside, quickly starting up the engines.

"Let's just get this bucket going, okay cat?"

"I know, I know." Cait replied as he began to type in some coordinates. "Just be glad the boss already has two other agents on this planet. Otherwise, he would be really cross with you!"

"I know. That's why I had you call him, remember?" Hope snarkly replied as he pulled a lever. "Besides, we got some useful intel anyways, so stop complaining. It's not like we have an intruder on board."

"I know..." Cait said as he pressed the last button. "Let's just go already."

The ship's cloak disappeared as it began to float in the air, it's landing gear disappearing into bottom gear doors. As it's boosters began to activate, Cait equipped a pair of old style pilot goggles. Hope adjusted his neck scarf as he turned the auto-pilot on. The two gave each other a nod before the ship began a full take-off. Moments later, it had left Equestria and began it's venture into the stars.

"See, all wells that ends wells cat." Hope said as he felt his body changing back to it's human form. He felt overjoyed by this fact as his hooves slowly became hands again.

"Yeah, if you call getting attacked by Heartless and some crazed kid pony well, that is. Good thing nothing else went wrong." Cait said with a yawn. "I just hope Reeve won't be too bummed about what happened."

"Where are we going?" said a young voice behind them.

"We're going back to the base Hope, what did you expect?" Cait grunted as he rubbed the side of his face.

"I didn't say anything." Hope replied, causing the duo to look at each other in confusion. A second later, they looked behind themselves, only to see a small gray coated filly with a straight purple mane. She wore a small bland colored blue shirt along with an emotionless expression on her face. Their eyes began to bulge as they saw the filly then begin to change like Hope did, slowly turning into a human form. Mainly, a small girl still wearing the blue shirt and purple hair along with her skin being the same as Hope's skin color. They then looked back at each other as a gulp went down both of their throats. They weren't sure what to say. However, the intruder decided to talk first.

"Have you seen Boulder? I'm looking for him."

Author's Note:

Now how did that happen? Why is that character there? Who are the other two agents? And what will happen to Trixie?

Find out...next time!!!

I love the ending of this chapter. The ending was so much fun to write.

Hope you enjoyed the chapter!

PreviousChapters Next