• Published 2nd May 2016
  • 16,119 Views, 706 Comments

The Trials and Tribulations of Trying to Date Twilight Sparkle - Codex Ex Equus



After many years, Princess Celestia has finally realized she is in love with Twilight Sparkle. Now all she has to do is tell her.

  • ...
126
 706
 16,119

Chapter Four: Sibling Rivalry

Celestia popped back into existence, hitting the cobblestones and skidding, throwing up a trail of sparks so large it threatened to set the nearby shrubbery on fire. She turned the skid into a charging gallop, racing up the stairs to Twilight's castle and crashing through the doors.

"TWILIGHT! LUNA!" she bellowed, entering the castle's main hall at full speed. "YOU—"

She stopped in place instantly, the crystal under her hooves momentarily igniting from the friction, as she realized both Princesses were right there and only just starting to climb the main staircase.

"Oh."

"Princess Celestia! You made it after all!" came Twilight's happy response. "Luna told me you couldn't be here for this visit."

"That's because she told me she couldn't." Luna's response was less welcoming, and Twilight pulled back as the Night Princess brushed past her to stand in front of Celestia. "In fact, she made it very clear that she had no interest whatsoever."

Celestia's eyes narrowed. "Maybe I just needed to think about what it would mean not to be here. Maybe I needed a bit more time than just a few minutes to think it over."

The two began circling each other warily, eyes locked.

"You have no right, you know. To get my hopes up like that, after everything you said, and then just change your mind?" said Luna, almost casually.

"Um..."

"This, coming from the mare who practically insisted I do this?" Celestia moved lithely as she circled, hooves lifting high, muscles tensed. "All of this is your doing, sister. Had you kept quiet, I wouldn't even be here right now."

"UM."

Twilight sounded nearly frantic now. Taking a deep breath and slowly letting it out, Celestia turned to face the smaller alicorn, deliberately turning her back to her sister.

"I'm sorry, Twilight, I shouldn't have been ignoring you," she said, a warm smile on her face. "It's just that Luna's been up all day and she's a bit grumpy." A snort of anger came from behind her, and Celestia's smile curled upwards a bit more. One point for her.

"Oh. Y-you're not fighting, are you? I mean, that doesn't usually end well..."

"No, it's not a fight at all, dear Twilight," said Luna, moving forward to stand next to Celestia. "Just an argument. You see, we both wish to have the same piece of... delicious pie."

Twilight tilted her head curiously. "Really? I mean, I could understand if it was cake, but I've never seen Celestia—or you, for that matter, Luna—get so worked up about pie."

Celestia puffed her cheeks out angrily while Luna giggled, but then she shook herself and regained her composure.

"Yes, well, it's a very special piece of pie," said Celestia, leaning over to glare directly into the face of her sister, who just stuck out her tongue. "It's a piece of pie I've known for a very long time and it means a lot to me."

"Ooookay," said Twilight slowly. "Well, while you two are having a rational argument that totally isn't a fight, how would you like me to show you around the castle? I know you've both been here before, but I never got to give you the full tour, and I've been doing some remodeling lately so there's new stuff to see."

"That sounds absolutely lovely," declared Luna, breaking off her glare to trot up and stand far too close to Twilight. "I'm always excited to learn more about you."

"And I'd love to see what you've done with your home," said Celestia, flanking Twilight from the other side, "I'm sure it will be astounding."

"Wonderful!" said Twilight excitedly, starting to trot down the hall as the two sisters locked horns and glared at each other behind her. "Oh, are you two hungry at all? I can have Spike put something together for when we finish the tour."

She looked back at the other Princesses, who were smiling pleasantly.

"I could eat."

"A snack sounds perfect."

"Great!" Twilight moved on, followed by two sisters exchanging furious glares and bumping each other with their shoulders.


"And this is the other other library," declared Twilight happily, leading them into yet another room lined with book-filled shelves.

"How... spectacular," said a bored, tired-sounding Luna.

Celestia, on the other hoof, bounded around almost as enthusiastically as Twilight. That was another point on her side; Luna had little interest in literature, but Twilight and Celestia had always shared predilection for the scholarly. She hardly even noticed the minor victory as she scanned the shelves.

"These books seem awfully familiar," she mused slyly, casting a glance at Twilight as she ran a hoof along a row of books. "Fantastic Abjurations, 101 Useful (and poisonous) Herbs, Pentagrams and You, Changeling Courtship Rituals, the fifth edition of Starswirl's Treatise on Harmony... This library is filled with all the books I lent you when you first got the castle, isn't it?"

Twilight flushed slightly, avoiding the Princess's eyes. "I just wanted to make sure I could give them all back to you when you asked for them."

Celestia chuckled, moving a few steps closer to the smaller Princess. "I told you, Twilight, they're yours for as long as you need. I'm not lacking in books; you know what the Royal Library is like. And besides, I'm always just a teleport away..."

Luna narrowed her eyes at the two ponies gazing at each other. "You have so many books in this castle, I'm surprised there's room for anything else," she said stiffly. "I know how much you enjoy reading, but surely you have some other hobbies?"

"Well, maybe," said Twilight, moving away from Celestia, who threw a glare at her sister.

Twilight cocked an eyebrow upwards. "Would you be surprised to hear I'm interested in things like, say, stargazing?"

"Not surprised, no, but... are thou truly interested in our stars?"

"Take a look at the balcony over there", said Twilight smugly, indicating one side of the room with a toss of her head.

Luna turned, and her mouth fell open as she caught sight of the enormous telescope sitting in front of the open balcony doors. It gleamed in the evening sun, brass trimming and gears throwing spots of light in all directions, dark blue casing polished to a bright metallic shine.

"Most impressive," said Luna, trotting up to the eyepiece. "Is this a sixteen inch?"

"Eighteen!" replied Twilight happily. "I had to upgrade it because I wasn't getting the resolution I wanted."

"And you polish the mirrors with magic, of course..." Luna glanced back over her shoulder, a small smile on her face.

"Please," sneered Twilight, smiling as well. "And potentially introduce arcane artifacts into the optics? I hoof polish them with a fresh cotton cloth every week."

"Your interest in my night skies is most flattering," said Luna, walking back over to Twilight. "Perhaps I shall create a special sky some night soon. One just for you..."

"Oh Twilight," interrupted Celestia, voice strained. "Why don't you come sit over here?" She indicated a reading couch across from the one she was sitting in. "Now that the tour is done, we can talk while we wait."

"Okay, Princess Celestia!" Twilight trotted over happily and settled herself into the seat, unaware of the pout on Luna's face.

"Oh no, Luna," said Celestia, putting a wing over her mouth in mock horror. "It looks like there aren't any seats left for you!"

"That's okay," replied Luna smugly, trotting over to Twilight's couch. "I can just sit next to Twilight. It looks very comfy there."

She settled onto the cushions, snuggling up tight against Twilight, enjoying the glare on Celestia's red face. Biting her lower lip suggestively, she raised one wing, stretching it out over Twilight and slowly lowering it down. Just before she was able to embrace Twilight, a bell rang.

"Ah, that's Spike!" cried Twilight, springing from the couch. "The snacks must be done. I'll be right back!" With that, she trotted from the room.

As the door closed behind Twilight, Luna turned slowly to face Celestia. "And just what do you think you are doing here?" she asked in a low voice.

"Exactly what you advised me to, sister," replied Celestia smugly. "You said I should follow my heart, that I should let Twilight know of my feelings for her and attempt to pursue a relationship. I thought about it after you left and decided you were right, so here.. I... am."

"You just can't stand to see me have anything you don't have, can you?" said Luna after a moment. "You were all ready to throw everything you felt away, but the moment I said I wanted the same thing, you went running to steal it from me as soon as possible."

"W-what?" Celestia's mouth fell open in shock. "Luna, no, I'd never—"

"Then you think I don't deserve her?" Luna shot back. "I'm not good enough for your Twilight?"

"Luna, no... I..." Celestia hung her head. "You're right. It was foolish and selfish of me to come after you like this, especially after I had made it clear I had no interest. I'll leave now, and I won't interfere anymore."

She got up and made to leave, only to be stopped by the look of sheer incredulity on her sister's face.

"No," said Luna, shaking her head, voice sounding nearly stunned. "No."

"I-I don't understand, Luna. I'm doing what you want—"

"No you're not!" cried Luna, leaping to her hooves as well. "You're doing the same thing you always do!"

"Luna, what—"

"Stop trying to be perfect. This is what you always do. You think you have to handle everything yourself, that any bit of work or responsibility has to be on you. You make all the sacrifices; I hate watching you do that."

Luna leaned forward on the table in between the two seats, and Celestia's eyes widened in alarm. Luna's mane was whipping around wildly, the way it had when she was Nightmare Moon.

"And you still aren't treating me as your equal! I'm glad you aren't ignoring me anymore, but that doesn't mean I want you to just give me everything I ask for!"

"Luna, I... I don't..." Celestia scraped a hoof on the floor. "Tell me what to do?" she asked in a small voice.

Luna glowered back. "Do something that's good for yourself for once! Be selfish, do what you want to do. And treat me as your equal! I'm not just your sister; I'm a rival suitor, here to steal the heart of your beloved! How are you going to respond to that?"

Celestia took a deep breath and closed her eyes.

She thought of her dream, how she had felt when Twilight said she was in love with another... the way her heart had seemed to break into pieces. Then she tried to imagine that same feeling, except this time Twilight wasn't just with any pony, but Celestia's own sister. Seeing the two of them, right there in her castle, every single day for the rest of eternity…

But I love them both, part of her spoke up. I should be happy to see them together.

She struggled with that thought for a moment, then ruthlessly quashed it. How long had she unknowingly carried this torch for Twilight? How many years had it been? And how long had Luna felt the same—mere hours. She'd said she had considered it before, but this was clearly the first time she ever did so seriously. At best it was an infatuation, another one of Luna's whims. There would be no guilt on Celestia's head if she were to win Twilight's heart.

And besides, another part of her, deep inside, snarled, I deserve something in my life besides just ruling over Equestria.

She opened her eyes again, and Luna flinched as a small piece of the sun blazed out at her.

"I was once known as Sol Invicta; The Unconquered Sun. I may rule my kingdom in harmony and peace, but as you well know, it was not formed that way. In all the battles, in all the court intrigues, in all the assassination attempts, but one pony emerged victorious: myself. And now you truly wish to test yourself against that force? You may make that mistake if you wish, dear sister, but know that it is Sol Invicta herself you will be facing. And you shall not triumph."

Celestia suddenly stopped, putting a hoof to her mouth in shock. "Oh my. Luna, I'm sorry–"

"Bravo, sister," said Luna quietly. She clapped her hooves, then bowed. "I yield."

"W-what?!"

"Twilight is yours. Or at least, the first attempt is. Just know that if you mess this up somehow, I'll be waiting to jump on her like a changeling at a wedding reception."

"What about all that talk about treating each other as equals?!" cried Celestia.

Luna let out a chuckle. "I said I wanted you to treat me as your equal. As I am the best Princess, I have no need to treat you as my equal."

"But–"

"And your passion moved me, sister." Luna moved out from behind the table, standing closer to Celestia. "It was good to see you so animated about something for once. I have hardly seen you so since my return; I was starting to think you'd lost that fire within yourself during the years I was away."

She shrugged, turning and moving away again. "Besides, I am well aware that my romantic interests tend to be rather... fickle. Any relationship between Twilight and myself would be fairly fleeting, I fear. The citizenry may not enjoy it if two of their Princesses were to have a simple dalliance, or 'fling', as they call it in their new modern parlance."

"Luna, were you..." Celestia scowled at Luna. "Was this just all a trick? Just a way to force me to confront Twilight and confess my feelings?!"

"Of course not, sister!" replied Luna, laughing. "Or at least, not solely that. I fully intended to woo Twilight when I arrived here. Had you truly given in, I would have wrecked that mare like Tirek."

"Luna, for Heaven's sake—"

Celestia clamped her mouth shut as the door opened and Twilight trotted in, a tray of muffins held in her magical grasp. "Snacks are here!" she announced cheerfully.

"I am sorry, Twilight Sparkle," said Luna, "but I must depart now before tasting your delightful-smelling baked goods. Well..." A muffin separated itself from the tray, enveloped in the glow of Luna's magic, and stuffed itself into the Princess's mouth.

"Delicious," she declared with a spray of crumbs.

"Do you really have to go now?" Twilight asked in a disappointed tone.

"Regrettably, I am afraid I must," replied Luna, head down as she moved away.

"Luna, wait," said Celestia, moving over for a quick nuzzle with her sister. "Thank you. For forcing me to recognize my own blindness and folly, and for being so gracious in defeat."

"Think nothing of it. While I had my interests, they were clearly no match for your passion. Although..." The look Luna gave Twilight was so intense that the small alicorn blushed without quite knowing why. "I will admit to being a bit... disappointed."

With a sigh, she moved towards the balcony. "In any case, it is late and I have much to do this night. I shall see you both some other time."

"Goodbye, sister," said Celestia, walking with her as she exited. "And again, thank you."

"Just do one thing for me," said Luna, turning to give her sister one of the dirtiest, most lustful winks Celestia had ever seen. "Give her hell."

The Lunar Princess leapt up and into the sky, and disappeared a moment later.

"Excuse me, Princess, but what exactly is going on here?" asked a confused Twilight as she climbed back onto the couch across from Celestia. "I mean, you two show up out of nowhere, then spend the whole night arguing about... something while I show you around the castle. Then once we're finally getting ready to settle down and talk, Luna leaves, just like that? What is going on here?"

Celestia munched on a muffin to smother her giggle at Twilight's reaction. She was so adorable. "I'm sorry, Twilight. This night was sort of spur-of-the-moment. But don't worry, I'll be staying. I have no plans to leave until morning."

"Okay! It would have been nice to have Luna here too, but I always like to spend time with you."
Celestia felt her cheeks heat up at the compliment. "Thank you, Twilight. I enjoy spending time with you as well."

They sat there, smiling at each other across the table, until Twilight began to grow restless.

"Um, Princess—"

"Oh my!" Celestia put a hoof to her mouth, and gave her head a shake, trying to clear it. "I-I'm sorry, my mind must be wandering. Do you want to, um, talk about... something?"

"Sure!"

Once again, silence reigned in the crystalline library.

"Um—"

"Oh! I suppose I should, um, bring up something to talk about, yes? Since it was me who suggested it and all, hahahahaha!" Celestia's eyes began to dart around the room, searching frantically for a topic. "So you sure have a, um, nice castle here? Very... pretty."

Like you, she desperately wanted to add.

"Yes, I'm really starting to appreciate it," said Twilight, a wave of her indicating the castle as a whole. "I still miss the old library, but I'm sure I'll make some good memories here as well."

Celestia didn't reply, enraptured by Twilight's appearance. Her eyes, always so bright and interested. The stripes in her mane, adding a bit of color to what could otherwise have been a mane that was too dark. Celestia's gaze moved down and back. Her wings, once so stiff and clumsy were now finally beginning to move naturally. Celestia's eyes moved further back. Her cutie mark, the same symbol Celestia had seen centuries ago upon the Tree of Harmony, now upon Twilight's flank.

Celestia's eyes moved back along Twilight's body once again—

"Um, hello, Equestria to Princess Celestia?" Twilight waved a hoof at the monarch, a puzzled look on her face. "Are you alright? You're looking a bit flushed."

Celestia suddenly jerked back to reality, face red and feeling like it was burning hotter than her sun. "Ah! Twilight! I, uh, I just, uh... Ineedtodosomethingbye!" With a flash of light, she was gone.

Twilight stared at the spot on the couch where her Princess had been, mouth agape. Finally, she just shook her head. "That was weird. Is it a full moon out tonight or something? Well, that would explain Luna, but not Celestia. I should check the spectroscopes, see if they've picked up any sunspots lately..."


Celestia appeared back in her bedroom, and with a sigh collapsed onto her bed. "I am a coward," she said, to no one in particular.

"And a fool, and perhaps a bit too fond of cake, and many other things," came a voice from behind her. She jerked around, then relaxed as she realized her sister was on her room's balcony.

"Luna? What are you...?"

"I was waiting for the foolish, cowardly pony," replied Luna, strolling into the room and alongside the bed. "I teleported right here. I figured if you didn't arrive within ten minutes or so, I'd be good to leave you."

"I couldn't do it," said Celestia, head flopping back down. "I just... she was right there in front of me, and all my nerve just evaporated."

"It's okay, dear sister. It's been many centuries since you last attempted a relationship, after all. Well, aside from one with that thing I found in the bottom drawer of your dresser—"

"LUNA!"

"But have no fear! We shall give you all the assistance you require in making Twilight Sparkle your own! The letter has been sent, and on the morrow your education in the ways of romance shall begin. We will not rest until you have become a siege engine of seduction, aimed squarely at your love!"

"Luna, what do you mean by 'the letter'—wait, that wasn't the Royal We, was it? Oh Goddess, who did you call?" Celestia tried to get up, but suddenly found herself being pushed back down and maneuvered onto the pillows by her sister.

"Shh, Celestia, rest," said Luna,her horn glowing faintly. "You have had a busy day, and you will need your strength for tomorrow."

Celestia recognized the effects of her sister's power over sleep, and for a moment tried to resist. Especially after how ominous that last sentence was. But she had had a long day, and knowing she would have nothing but peaceful dreams made her decide to give in. She watched her sister gently close the door behind herself, and drifted off to sleep.


Twilight grumbled as she descended the steps.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm coming," she snarled as the knocking at the door boomed throughout her castle once again. "What do you—Princess Celestia?!"

"Hello, Twilight," said the Monarch of the Sun, smiling and tilting her head slightly. "How are you doing this night?"

"Uh, fine, Princess. But what are you doing here?"

"Why, do I need a reason to visit my most faithful student?"

The mild admonishment made Twilight flush and look away. "N-no, of course not. But... you just left, and now you're back a few minutes later."

For a moment there was an expression of utter panic on the older alicorn's face, but it disappeared quickly. "I thought I had to go but, as it turns out, I do not. I would much rather be here with you than do... whatever it was I was going to do instead."

"Well, I'm happy to hear that, I guess. I really had been looking forward to spending more time with you."

"And I with you." Celestia sat back, spreading her wings and extending her forelegs. There was no need to say anything, and Twilight moved eagerly forward to hug her Princess.

"I'm really glad to see you," she said quietly, nuzzling up against Celestia's chest as the alabaster alicorn's forelegs and wings embraced her.

"Me too, Twilight," said Celestia, eyes flashing green for a moment as she looked down at the smaller Princess.

"Me too."

Author's Note:

First off, big thanks to ShutterflyYay, who is now proofing this story. The ponies will now have less hands and feet.

Fun fact:

Sooooo, this chapter. AKA the 'Emergency Rewrite Chapter'.

The original version of this was basically another dream sequence: Luna and Celestia start fighting in Twilight's castle, and it quickly turns into an over-the-top fight sequence, ending with the world being destroyed.

But that was just an illusion! In reality, Luna and Celestia are still standing in Twilight's hall, their thoughts connected by a spell that lets them 'debate' emotionally.

Sadly, and embarrassingly, it took me over half a year to realize that I'd essentially done another dream sequence just 3 chapters after the first one.

My initial, lazy thought was 'oh well, I'll just leave it in, whatever'. But reactions to the first chapter reminded me how much people hate dream sequences. And that chapter was just the start, before the story had had a chance to get going and any kind of connection to the characters and the situation could form. Another dream sequence would ruin quite a lot of what's been built up and pretty much kill any momentum the story has.

So, I cut out the middle ~75% and replaced it. I think it comes off a lot better, and still carries across the themes of this chapter, which are basically Celestia being forced to confront what it would be like if she doesn't even try to pursue her feelings.

I'll post the original version of this chapter as a bonus after the last chapter goes up. It's still a really fun fight scene. I think the part where Luna uses the moon as a weapon is my favorite.

Also, those book titles Celestia is browsing? Let's just say two of them are very important to this story.