• Published 11th May 2016
  • 4,580 Views, 72 Comments

The Dusk Shine Anomaly - H3lios



Dusk Shine doesn't know why but he can't shake the feeling that something is very wrong with the world. Are the Elements of Harmony trying to warn him, or is there something far more powerful and sinister behind his random hallucinations.

  • ...
7
 72
 4,580

I've Got a Golden Ticket

Dusk leaned back in his chair and took another sip of his herbal tea. He preferred it to coffee, it helped him relax and relieved stress. On the desk in front of him were several books of varying subjects ranging from pre-Celestian history to cultural myths. There was also a note pad on the desk, at the top of which, was the word: AURYN. Below that was a long list of numerous ideas such as "mythological god", "ancient spell" and "code cipher" to name a few. Each one had been crossed out except for the one at the bottom which read "insanity induced hallucination," hence the current book he was reading entitled How to Tell When You've Finally Lost It by Dr. C. Thulhu.

It had been a week since Dusk and his new friends fought Nightmare Moon. A week of getting settled into his loft above the library in Ponyville. A week of learning to balance study with socializing. The entire time he had pondered the meaning of the word AURYN in the back of his mind and last night was his chance to finally focus on that mystery.

Dusk let out a yawn as he looked out the window, the sun was rising, meaning he had spend all night on his search. He sighed and closed the book, "all night and I'm no closer now than when I started." Dusk picked up his pin and crossed out insanity induced hallucinations on the note pad then slammed the pin down in frustration. He thought back to his conversation with Celestia the night of the party.

"Princess, have you ever herd of something called 'are-in'? I may be pronouncing that wrong, it's spelled A, U, R, Y, N," he looked to the princess expectantly.

Celestia thought for a moment then shook her head, "I'm sorry, Dusk, but I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that term. Why do you ask?"

"It's just that, when I was near the Elements of Harmony, I started to... see things," he said. "Like, visions and feelings of deja vu. Each one helped me figure out how to find and use the Elements except for one. It happened at the end, just before I let go of their power, it was just the word 'aruyn'."

Celestia considered this new information before replying, "I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you, my student. I have never known the Elements to behave in such a fashion, but they are powerful and mysterious beyond even my knowledge. It is possible they are trying to tell you something, though what that could be, I couldn't say."

A knock on the door roused Dusk from his thoughts. He proceeded down the stairs to the main room of the library and opened the front door to reveal Applejack. The young, farmer had one hand in the back pocket of a pair of long work pants that were covered in dirt and grass stains. The other hand was raised as if to knock again but halted when the door opened.

"Good morning, AJ," he answered, "what's up?"

"Morning, Dusk. Actually I was kinda wondering if y'all could give me a hand real quick? You're the only other person I know who's up this early and it'd really help me out."

For a brief moment, he almost refused out of habit, but that was the old Dusk. New Dusk had friends and friends helped each other. "Sure thing, AJ, I needed a change of pace anyhow," he turned back towards the stairs, "let me just go get Spike, he's been wanting to get out too."

***

In the private wing of Canterlot Castle, a lone figure waited outside the door to a room that had until a week ago been completely unused. The room was commissioned by Princess Celestia under the pretense that it was to serve as a backup guest room for visiting dignitaries. In reality, it was to be her sister, Luna's room. She wanted Luna to feel welcomed the moment she returned.

The figure outside was a nephilim, but it was nether Celestia nor Luna. It was in fact, Prince Mi Amoré Romeo, although he often insisted people call him Rome for short. His light-wings were a light shade of pink, the same color as his bangs which accented the sky blue heart shaped crest he wore around his neck that represented his cutie mark. His tall stature and broad shoulders were the only thing that offset his otherwise 'girlish' appearance.

From the room Celestia emerged, a tired but hopeful expression on her face. She looked up and saw the prince smiling at her, "Ah, Rome, thank you for meeting me," the two embraced each other in a hug, "you've been back for a week and I haven't made any time to see you."

"I understand, aunt Tia, it's been a hectic week," he replied. The pair broke their hug and walked down the hall, "so, how is she doing? I can't wait to meet her."

"Shes doing well, actually," Celestia's expression took on a slightly more somber look, "physically at least... she still blames herself, despite all my assurances to the contrary."

"I'm sure she just needs time," Rome comforted as they approached the main hall of the palace. Servants scurried to and fro while guards remained un-moving except to salute the pair of royals as they walked past. After a short bit of walking, they arrived at a private dining area with a table big enough for only four or five people. A very formal looking djinn, with well groomed brown hair and matching handlebar mustache was there to great them.

"Good morning, your Majesties," he said with a bow, "I took the liberty of preparing tea and biscuits for you. If your Majesties require anything else you need only ask."

"Thank you, Kibits," Celestia replied as she sat down with Rome sitting opposite. Once Kibits had left, she took a sip of her tea and turned back to Rome, "so how was your trip abroad?"

Rome, smiled while stirring sugar into his own tea, "It was quite pleasant, actually."

"Rome, we're not in public you know..." Celestia grinned, spotting the barely contained glee in Rome's voice.

Rome, closed his eyes and sat down his tea, he then looked his adoptive aunt right in the eye, "IT. WAS. AWESOME!" he said excitedly. "Oh I have so many stories! The Republic of Itaurus is so fascinating, I got to go to the Museum of Leonardo Bovineci, they had some of his original blue prints there! Oh, and we traveled to Anugypt, I got to see the pyramids, those things are sooo much bigger in person. Chipan was my favorite though, apparently I'm considered a 'bishounen' over there, whatever that means."

Celestia laughed at Rome's enthusiasm, "Rome, dear, slow down, I can hardly keep up."

"Oh, sorry," he said sheepishly, "I just had so much fun exploring other cultures. You were right, aunt Tia, it was such an unforgettable experience." The pair talked for a little while before there came a knock on the door.

The door opened to reveal Gleaming Shield wearing her guard uniform, "you're Highness, sorry to interrupt but there's a petitioner here to see you." Gleaming blushed as she looked at Rome.

"Really? I could have sworn Kibits told me that I had no petitioners today," Celestia replied

"Um, actually, Princess, the petitioner's not for you its for Prince Rome."

"Wait, really? Me?" Rome asked, he'd almost never got petitions, not that he complained since politics wasn't really his thing.

"Yea, its a student from CSGD, she insists that her friend needs help and only you can do it."

"Well, I don't want to turn down someone in need," he hesitated and looked at Celestia, "oh but we finally got some one on one time..."

"It's ok dear, duty calls. Besides, I should have some free time tomorrow morning," Celestia said.

Gleaming followed Rome down to the petitioner's hall, her task was technically finished but as a royal guard she had a duty to escort the prince. That's what she'd tell the captain at least. "So... Rome, how have you been? We, ah, didn't get to talk much during the whole Nightmare thing," Gleaming said while avoiding eye contact.

"I know, it's crazy how hectic everyone's schedules have become," he replied. "I kinda miss how we use to just hang out, not worrying about anything."

"Yea, about that, I was thinking, you're free this evening right?" she asked, Rome nodded. "Would you, maybe, like to go hang out at Doughnut Joe's, like we use to?"

Prince Rome smiled, "that sounds great! It'll be just like old times, you, me, the guys, heck, we can even invite little Dusty, I haven't seen him in forever."

"Um, actually," Gleaming said, "I was thinking it would be just the two of us..."

Rome stopped and turned to look at her, "Gleaming," he said with a grin, "are you asking me on a date?"

Gleaming returned the smile, "maybe I am. Guess you wont know unless you agree to it."

Rome laughed, "of course I'll go," he said. The two now stood before the doors to the room where petitioners met with the royalty, "let me take care of this then will say, six?"

"Works for me, I guess I'll see you then," she turned and started back down the hall.

"Oh and Gleaming?" Rome called out to her, she stopped and looked back, "thanks for taking the initiative, saved me the trouble of asking you out."

"You're welco- wait what?!" but Rome had already vanished behind the doors.

The door closed behind Rome and he smiled, he'd known Gleaming shield for a long time, since before his apotheosis. They had been going back and forth for a while now, Gleaming wondering if she was worthy of a prince and Rome struggling with his fear that her affection for him was just the result of being close to his magic which had the power draw out love in a person. It was the night of Nightmare's return, however, when that all changed.

When Kevin had warned them of Celestia's defeat, Rome had been forced to retreat to a safe location with Gleaming as his body guard. It was in those intense and uncertain moments that he felt it. The spark of love that burned in Gleaming's heart for him, and his for her. No amount of his magic could create that spark, that's how he knew it was genuine, they were meant to be. In the week that followed, Rome had been looking for a chance to approach Gleaming and take her on a proper date. However, it seemed that Gleaming beat him to the punch.

The room Rome had entered resembled a court of law, except instead of a judges bench, there was a throne positioned behind a very ornate desk with two royal guards standing at attention on ether side. Normally the petitioned, in this case, Rome, would sit behind the desk while petitioners would wait their turn from the rows of seats in the lobby. However, most of his requests were for advice on love and relationships and usually came to him by way of letter or casual request so Rome rarely ever used this room.

Sitting down at the desk, he waved his hand over a small gem-like object, "ok, I'll see them now," he said into the device. The door opened and in walked a young djinn woman who had to be in her early twenties if Rome guess right. She wore her CSGD uniform which had her cutie mark, an hour glass, emblazoned in the top left corner just above her breast. Her white hair was highlighted with blue down the part, or her blue hare was dyed white, Rome couldn't tell, there were equal parts of both.

"Good morning," Rome greeted, "pleasure to meet you Miss...?"

"Minuette, you're Highness," she answered with a bow.

"Just 'Rome' is fine, so what can I do for you, Minuette?"

"Well, you're High- Rome, it's about my friend, Moondancer. She's had her heart broken and, well, I know things like that happen all the time, but shes taking it really hard and I'm worried about her," Minuette said.

Rome nodded as he thought to himself, if I had a bit every time this came up..., "how long has it been?"

Minuette bit her lip, "that's the thing, it's only been about a week. But shes not depressed or crying in her room or anything like that!" she said quickly, "I mean, the first day she did but after that, when she came out she was... different."

Rome raised an eyebrow, "what do you mean different?"

"It was like, she just didn't care anymore! Every time we invite her to hang out she just says 'whatever' and acts all aloof. She says she's over that boy but I'm worried shes sworn off companionship all together! This is all that- that Dusk Shine's fault!"

Rome blinked, "wait, did you say Dusk Shine?"

"Yea, he promised to come to her birthday party and she was so excited. You should have seen her, prince Rome, I've known her since we were kids and I've never seen her so happy. But then he didn't show and she was crushed."

"Aaaannnnd, this happened a week ago?" he sighed, "I think I know what happened." Rome smiled internally, little Dusty has an admirer... or he did, maybe I can fix this. "Miss Minuette, I've decided to help your friend," he said in his best imitation of a royal voice, "come, let us pay her a vis- oof," he was interrupted by Minuette giving him a huge hug.

"Oh thank you thank you thank you!" she said. The guards behind the desk made a move to pry her off but Rome signaled them to stand down. This was the best part of being in a position of power for him, the feeling of joy when someone expresses their gratitude.

***

Rome sat down in his study a few hours later. He'd gone with Minuette to see this Moondancer and it was as bad as she had described. The poor thing had completely walled herself in, simply giving generic responses and pretending not to care. Rome could see into her heart with his magic, though, and he saw a young lady who was hurt, confused, and self doubting. He knew he had to get Dusk back here some how to reconcile with this poor girl. She was the perfect match for him and even if Dusk didn't reciprocate her feelings it would at least give her closure.

Rome leaned back in his chair as he thought, I need a setting for a date, but what? Suddenly he was struck with an idea, of course! The Grand Galloping Gala! It was still a ways away, plenty of time to work on Moondancer and build her confidence back up, I'll get aunt Tia to invite Dusty and Spike and then, when he arrives, I'll use a teeny tiny bit of my love magic to show them how good they are together.

Rome grabbed a pin and some paper , "this is going to be fun..."

***

"Nope, nope, no," Spike mumbled to himself as he sorted through the apples in the basket. He, Dusk, and Applejack had spent the last few hours harvesting all the apples currently in the baskets loaded on a wagon that Dusk was pulling. Whenever they approached a tree, AJ would spread several empty baskets around the trunk and give the tree a good kick, 'apple bucking' she called it. The apples would fall into the baskets and she and Dusk would pick the rest up off the ground.

"Thanks again, Dusk," AJ said, "I never would have gotten all these into the store house by lunch on my own," she laughed to herself. "I can't wait to see the look on Big Mac's face, he said if I finished by lunch, he'd walk down main street wearing one of Granny's girdles."

"What would've happened if you didn't?" Spike asked.

"I'd have to wear one of Bloom's bows all day and I guarantee you Rainbow'd never let me live that down."

"Well I'm just glad the goal is lunch, I pulled an all nighter and I'm a little sleepy," Dusk said with a yawn.

"Yea, and all this hard work is making me hungry."

Dusk rolled his eyes, "Spike, you've been sitting in that wagon all morning while we worked.

"You guys are the ones who told me to sort the good apples from the rotten ones," Spike retorted, It was at that moment when he felt a familiar pressure in his chest. *Burp* "ugh, Dusk, you got a letter."

Dusk caught the letter in the air and opened it. "Dear Dusk Shine," he read aloud, "Her Grand Royal Highness, Princess Celestia of Equestria, is pleased to announce The Grand Galloping Gala to be held in the magnificent capital city of Canterlot, on the 21st day of- yadda yadda yadda." Dusk skimmed to the end of the letter, "hereby extends and invitation to both yourself and one Spike T. Dragon."

Dusk looked inside the envelope and there he found two golden colored tickets. He looked at the letter, then back at the tickets, "the Grand Galloping Gala... This. Is. AMAZING!" he cheered. "Spike, the Grand Galloping Gala! We get to go to the Grand Galloping Gala!"

"Pass," Spike said nonchalantly.

"Wait, wha-?"

"Dusk, if you want to lock yourself in a room with stuck up, over-dressed nobles who set out food that apparently no one is allowed to eat, be my guest, but I'd rather just stay home and read my comics."

"C'mon Spike," AJ said, "ain't nothing wrong with being a bit formal every once in a while. Why I'd give left leg for a ticket."

"You can have mine, there's no names on it."

"He's right," Dusk said, looking at the tickets, "it just says 'admit one', would you like to go?"

"Would I like to go? Land sakes, I'd love to! Do you have any idea how many investors I could attract to Sweet Apple Acres if I get one of those high influence fellers to say they like our apples? Why, with that money, we could build a new barn, get Big Mac that tractor hes been wanting and Granny Smith could get that hip replacement she's been needing."

"Well in that case-"

"Hold up!" came a voice from above. A moment later Rainbow Dash landed in between Dusk and AJ. "Did I hear you right? You have an extra ticket to G3?" she asked excitedly.

"Rainbow! Have you been napping in my trees again?" AJ crossed her arms, glaring at the seraphim.

"Only on the branches that are over your property line, you don't own those, I checked," she turned back to Dusk. "Now whats this about an extra ticket?"

"Well," Dusk started, "I do have one since Spike doesn't want to go, but why do you? It's a formal gathering."

"A formal gathering featuring the Wonderbolts!"

"Here we go," AJ rolled her eyes.

"Think about it, hundreds of young seraphim apply to be Wonderbolts but only the ones that stand out even get considered for a spot on the waiting list. Just imagine what an edge I'd have over the competition if I was able to meet them in person and show off my awesome moves!" Rainbow threw a few phantom punches and did an aerial back flip to emphasize her 'awesome moves'. "I'd top it all off with my Fantastic Phillydelphia Flash™, they'd probably make me a Wonderbolt right there!"

"There's just one problem," AJ chimed in, "Dusk already promised the ticket to me."

"Well technically I didn't prom-"

"Oh yea? Well I don't see the ticket in your hands yet..."

"Um, girls? If you could just-"

"He was about to give it to me when you barged in and stopped him!" Rainbow and Applejack were right in each others' faces.

"GIRLS!" Dusk separated the two with his magic, "we can decide this civilly."

"He's right," AJ agreed, "we can solve this like adults, lets wrestle for em! Spike, hold my hat."

"You're on!" Rainbow said as she took off her over shirt, exposing her tank-top, "no punching, five second pin, GO!" Within moments, the two were rolling on the ground.

"Girls... This isn't what I meant!" Dusk face palmed, the two girls may not have been trying to actually hurt each other but it still seemed like a waste of time which he hated. "It's my extra ticket and I think it should go to whoever has the most legitimate reason."

The girls paused their tussle, AJ holding Rainbow in a half-nelson, to look up at Dusk. "Well clearly I have the best reason since I'm trying to make money for the farm!" AJ said.

"You can do that anywhere," Rainbow retorted as she extended her wings to push AJ off, "how many chances am I going to get to talk to the Wonderbolts in person!"

"This is my livelihood!"

"This is my life long dream!"

"I'm too tired for this!" Dusk declared, "I'm going to go take a nap, I'll figure out who gets the ticket after, c'mon Spike."

As Dusk walked back towards town, AJ and Rainbow looked at each other, "wanna keep wrestling?"

"Like you gotta ask..."

***

Dusk was lost in thought as he wondered through town, "what am I gonna do, Spike? They both have good reasons to go."

"If it were me, I'd just ask Celestia for more tickets."

"I can't do that! The Gala is very exclusive, you can't just give someone extra tickets for all their friends. Besides, it would be rude to presume, whoa suddenly Pinkie!" Dusk cried as he found himself inches away from Pinkie Pie's face.

"Hiya, Shiny! Do you really have an extra ticket to the Grand Galloping Gala?!" Pinkie asked while bouncing up and down in place.

"How did...?"

"Pinkie Sense."

"Ok... going to log that one away for later, so why are you interested in my extra ticket?"

"It's the most amazing incredible tremendous super-fun wonderful terrifically humongous party in all of Equestria! I've always always always wanted to go!" Pinkie bounded around Dusk in her excitement. "Just think of all the new ideas I could get for my own parties. I'm already the best party planner in Ponyville but if I learn from the legends at the Gala, I'll be the greatest party planner in the world!"

"Well, I'm sorry to say Rainbow and Applejack already have-"

"Rarity!" Pinkie shouted, not listening to Dusk, "guess what? Dusk is taking me to the Grand Galloping Gala!"

Rarity, nearly dropped the bags of groceries she was levitating in her magic, "The Gala?!"

"Oh no..." Dusk whispered to himself while pinching the bridge of his nose.

Rarity was on them in seconds, "I design ensembles for the Gala every year, but I've never had the opportunity to attend. Oh, the society, the culture, the glamour!" She looked at Dusk with a faux pout, "Dusk, I simply cannot believe you would invite Pinkie Pie so she can... party."

"It's a party, Rarity, what else would I do?"

"What I mean is, it's not that kind of party, Miss Pie, this is a formal affair."

"Rarity, Pinkie!" Dusk yelled, "I haven't decided who I'm taking yet. Rainbow and Applejack both want the ticket as well."

Rarity was completely floored, "Applejack and Rain- how can you even consider? What could those two even possibly want to go to the Gala for?"

"Well, AJ wants to attract investors to the farm and Dash wants to fast track her membership in the Wonderbolts."

"Well," Rarity composed herself, "be that as it may, I have an equally valid reason for wanting to go." Rarity turned and looked off towards Canterlot, her hands clasped in a cliche pose of a damsel in longing. "Ever since I was a little girl, my favorite fairy tail has been Cinderella, the story of a poor seamstress who is given a once in a lifetime chance to win the heart of the hansom prince at the royal ball," she twirled back to Dusk and Pinkie, smiling at the memory. "And now, it's finally my chance to live that fairy tell myself and meet... him."

"Him?"

"Prince Blueblood of course!" Rarity said wistfully, "charming, hansom, Canterlot's most eligible bachelor! The two of us will meet and fall instantly in love."

"Uh, Rarity, about that..." Dusk rubbed the back of his head, "I've meet prince Blueblood and he isn't exactly... charming."

"Oh well of course you'd think that, but he has to behave as expected of a prince. I'm sure underneath that haughty surface is a charming and hopeless romantic just like me!"

"Well, in any case, I still need to decide who-" it was at that time that the ticket was snatched out of Dusk's hand by, of all things, a small bunny. Dusk blinked, staring at his empty hand, "ok, everyone else saw that right?"

"Um, excuse me, Dusk?" came the soft voice of Fluttershy, on her shoulder was the little bunny that had snatched the ticket. "I was wondering, if you haven't given it to someone else, that is, if maybe I could have the ticket to the Gala?"

"Fluttershy?! You want to go to the Gala?" Rarity asked with a tilt of her head.

"Well," Fluttershy looked down at her feet, "not the Gala exactly, but the royal garden." Fluttershy looked back to the group, her passion slowly overriding her shyness. "See there's a flower called the night-blooming cereus, they only bloom once a year and only for one night, the night of the Gala. My dad took my mom to see them once and she said it was one of the most magical things she'd ever seen. I've always wanted to see them for myself. And that's not to mention the rare and exotic animals that they keep in the palace garden."

Dusk had never actually visited the royal gardens except to gather ingredients for his studies and even then he was single minded in his task. Now, with the way Fluttershy was describing it, he began to regret that. Just another regret for the list. "That sounds lovely, Fluttershy."

"Hold it!" came a shout from above. Rainbow floated down to about a person's length from the ground with her arms crossed. "I had first... ish dibs on that ticket!"

"What the? Rainbow? Have you been following me this whole time?" Dusk asked incredulously.

"...N-no!" she hesitated, "ok yes, but I just had to make sure you didn't give away my ticket!"

"Now wait just a darn minute!" came the voice of Applejack.

"Aaaaannnd we come full circle..." Dusk sighed, "look girls, I'm really tired right now, can I please just take a quick nap?"

"But Dusk-" they all started at once.

"But nothing! It's my ticket and I'll figure out who gets it once I can think straight. Don't worry, I'll figure this out," and with that, Dusk walked off towards the park with Spike in tow, leaving the five others grumbling to themselves.

***

"Spike, what am I gonna do?" Dusk sighed as he sat on the bench at the park. "All five of them have really good reasons to go to the Gala. Applejack, or Rainbow Dash? Pinkie Pie or Fluttershy, Rarity... gah, why did they send me only one extra ticket?!"

Spike sat on the bench next to him, eating an ice cream cone, "I still think you should just ask Celestia for four extra tickets, if anyone can get them, she could."

"I can't just abuse my relationship with Celestia to get what I want, Spike! What would people think? What would she think!?"

"Well, then what are you gonna do?"

"I don't know, how do I choose? And when I do choose, will the other four be mad at me?" Dusk pondered for a moment, "I suppose I could give up my ticket and give away two, but that would still leave three disappointed friends." Dusk sighed, "I need a quick nap, good thing it's nice and sunn...y," He trailed off as he looked around, people everywhere were rushing for cover or pulling out umbrellas as rain began to fall. Everywhere except on him.

"Hey there, stud," Rainbow called from a hole in the clouds directly above him. "You enjoying this perfect napping weather?"

"Dash? What are you doing?"

"Oh I just saw the smartest, most generous and handsomest guy I know about to get rained on, so I figured I punch a hole in the clouds for ya," she said with a wink.

Dusk pinched the bridge of his nose, "Dash, I'm not going to give you the ticket just because you're doing me extra favors."

"But it doesn't hurt my chances right?" she asked in all seriousness.

"Just fill that hole back like it's supposed to be."

Rainbow shrugged, "if you say so." She patched up the hole she made with a tuft of white cloud, within seconds it turned grey to match the surrounding clouds and began to pour.

Dusk sat on the bench with an annoyed look as the rain soaked him completely. Spike, who had already opened his umbrella handed Dusk one as well. "Maybe you should have grabbed this before you told her to close that hole," he said.

The two were about to make there way back to the library when Dusk was suddenly grabbed by none other than Rarity and pulled into her boutique. "Dusk, darling, you really shouldn't be out in the rain, you'll catch a cold."

When Dusk finally got his barrings, he couldn't help but notice what Rarity was wearing. A red dress so short that if she bent over at all it would reveal everything and strapless at the top which, combined with her six inch stilettos left little to the imagination regarding her breasts. She even had a hint of perfume about her.

Dusk blinked a few times, he had to admit, Rarity could be a vision of beauty when she wanted. "I-um, thanks for letting us come in out of the rain. We appreciate it, right Spike, Spike?" Dusk looked around to find that Spike had fainted.

"Oh it's no problem at all, my dear Dusk," she said moving closer as she did, "after all, friends do favors for each other..."

"R-Rarity, I know what your doing..." Dusk said, think un-sexy thoughts, think un-sexy thoughts!

Rarity batted her eyelashes at him with a finger to her lip, trying to look innocent, "why I'm certain I have no idea what you're talking about."

"You're trying to appeal to my basic instincts as a male to increase my subconscious desire to appease you in any way I can to increase the odds of successfully mating," Dusk said, he didn't add that it was almost working.

Rarity gave a mock offended look, "are you implying that I'm using sex appeal to get your ticket?"

"Exactly," Dusk replied, "come on, Rarity, you're better than that."

Rarity let out a sigh as she took a seat on one of the sofa's normally used by waiting customers. "Oh, your right," she began to pout, "I just wanted to go to the Gala so bad, I'm so embarrassed, look at me, I look like a harlot."

As she started sobbing, her face in her hands, Dusk began to feel bad. "Hey now," he said, "It's alright, we all make mista- wait a minute! Now your just using sympathy!"

"Drat, you're good at this," Rarity swore, her 'tears' stopping instantly.

"Sorry, Rarity," Dusk walked to the front door, grabbing Spike as he went, "you're going to have to wait for my decision just like everyone else. Now if you'll excuse me, I've been trying all day just to get some sleep."

"Did somebody say 'lunch'?"

"Oh you have got to be kidding me," Dusk turned around, "Look, AJ, first of all I said 'sleep' not... lunch..." He trailed off when he saw that there was no one behind him. That's odd, I could have sworn I heard Applejack's voice, I must be more tired than I thou- his thought was interrupted by a hand on his shoulder causing him to jump.

"Oh, sorry there, Sugar Cube," he heard AJ say. "I saw you standing there all spaced out and I thought I'd make sure you were alright."

"It's alright," Dusk tilted his head, "did you... say something about lunch just now?"

"Uh... No, don't reckon I did."

"You're sure?"

"Dusk, I ain't said a word till I tapped you on the shoulder," AJ raised an eyebrow, "do you want some lunch? Because I can grab ya something from my apple stand."

"N-no, that's alright," Dusk shook his head, "so... what did you want?"

"Just wondering if'n you figured out who you want to give that extra ticket to," AJ said with a hopeful smile.

Dusk screamed internally.

***

Who could have thought being showered with favors would be so aggravating? Dusk thought to himself as he and Spike made their way back to the library. So far he had managed to avoid Fluttershy and Pinkie but who knew how long that would last.

The answer was not long at all.

Upon opening the doors to his library home, he was greeted with the sight of Fluttershy with a feather duster cleaning his home and humming to herself happily. "ah AH ah Ah ha, ah AH ah Ah ha, Isn't the world a lovely place..."

Dusk froze, not because a lovely young lady with a beautiful singing voice was cleaning his house, but rather that song, it sounded... familiar. As he walked in, Fluttershy noticed him and dropped to the ground, slightly embarrassed.

"Oh, hello, Dusk. I hope you don't mind, but I was doing a little cleaning for you."

Dusk snapped back to reality, "Oh, it's fine. Quick question though; that song, where did you learn it?"

Fluttershy looked up, "Oh that? It's an old Equestrian lullaby, its one of my favorites," she said with a smile.

Dusk thought for a moment, "I think I've heard it before, my mother used to sing it to me." Dusk shook it off, he was tired and not thinking straight, "anyway, are you just cleaning my house so I'll give you the ticket?"

"Um," she looked down, gripping the feather duster in both hands, "yes..." she said bashfully.

Dusk sighed, "Fluttershy, I really appreciate it, but I cant accept any favors until I've made my decision." He opened the front door to usher her out when he was suddenly grabbed and pulled outside by non other than Pinkie Pie.

"Surprise!"

Dusk found himself surrounded by at least a dozen of Ponyville's citizens all wearing party hats. Pinkie grabbed Dusk by both hands and spun him around in a dance while she sung a little tune.

"Dusky is my very best friend, whoopie, whoopie!"

"Pinkie, what on earth-"

"He's the cutest, smartest, all around best guy-ie, guy-ie"

"Ok now that doesn't technically rhyme-"

"I bet if I throw a super-duper fun party, party!"

"Seriously, Pinkie, I'm getting dizzy-"

"He'll give his extra ticket to the Gala to me!"

"PINKIE! PLEASE!..." Dusk shouted as he finally broke free of her grip. He struggled to get his barrings as the world kept spinning. "Good grief, Pinkie, at least the others tried to be subtle about it."

"About what?" One of the people in the gathered crowd asked.

Pinkie giggled, "about the ticket of course."

"What ticket?" asked another.

Dusk's eyes widened, "Pinkie, for the love Harmony, don't-"

"His extra ticket to the Grand Galloping Gala!"

It is said that, in regions with wild weather, where no seraphim or harpies are available, that there is a calm stillness before a massive storm. It is also said that the calm is the most frighting part. Dusk, who had lived his whole life in regulated weather zones never understood why until that day, when all the eyes of the gathered people were upon him and not a single sound could be heard. It was only a second of silence but to Dusk, it felt like an eternity, and he could think of only one thing to say, "oh raspberries..."

All at once he was bombarded with offers of favors.

"I'll clean your house!"

"I'll tend you're garden!"

"I'll give you free haircuts for a year!"

The circle of people closed in on Dusk, each one talking over the other. Looking to his right, he saw that Pinkie was also growing uncomfortable, having finally realized what she'd unleashed. She grabbed his arm, "Duskie, what do we do?"

Dusk didn't answer, he just closed his eyes, trying to think of a way out, any way out. He could teleport, but he'd never done that before, he only knew how to do it in theory. Concentrating, he pictured himself and Pinkie back at the library and channeled the magic necessary to complete the spell, preying that it would work.

There was a popping sound, like the flash of a bulb when a camera takes a picture, and Dusk felt himself pulled in the direction of his home. His eyes opened just in time to see the sitting room of the library come into focus from a swirl of light and color. He then felt himself and Pinkie fall to the ground.

"Whoa, that was fun, lets do it again!" Pinkie said as she bounced up.

Dusk climbed to his feet, shaking his head, "sure, as soon as I figure out how I did it to begin with." Looking around, he noticed that all of his friends had gathered in the library, likely looking for his decision on the ticket. Dusk looked at them all and let out an exasperated sigh, "you know what, I give up, I just can't decide." He collapsed on the couch, "it's important to all of you and I just can't stand to disappoint any of you, and giving me gifts and doing me favors won't make any difference, because I wanna make you all happy and I can't!"

The others all looked down, some what ashamed of themselves when Applejack spoke up, "Dusk, I didn't mean to put so much pressure on you. If it helps, I don't want the ticket anymore, you can give it to someone else. I won't feel bad, I promise."

"Me too, I'm so sorry I made you feel so terrible," Fluttershy said.

"Yea, y'know, seeing the whole town go crazy kinda puts things in perspective," Pinkie said, "I'll go another time."

"I'd like to apologies for my behavior as well," Rarity added, "and I actually mean it this time," she added with a smile and a wink. That earned a chuckle from Dusk.

Everyone then looked at Rainbow Dash expectantly. "What?" she asked.

"Don't you have something to say to Dusk?" Applejack asked.

"Oh right, thanks for giving me the ticket, Dusk, even if it took everyone else backing out-"

"RAINBOW!" the girls all yelled at once.

Rainbow sighed, "just kidding, I still need to practice some more before I show off to the Wonderbolts anyway."

Dusk couldn't help but smile, "thanks, girls, I know what I'm going to do with the extra ticket now. Spike, take a letter please," Dusk called. Spike, who had been watching from the background, grabbed a pin and paper from his desk and waited as Dusk began to dictate.

"Dear Princess Celestia, I've learned that one of the joys of friendship is sharing your blessings, but when there's not enough blessings to go around, having more than your friends can make you feel pretty awful. So, though I appreciate the invitation, I will be returning both tickets to The Grand Galloping Gala." The others gasped at this, "I'd rather not go unless all five of my friends can go. Respectfully yours, Dusk Shine."

"Dusk, you don't have to do that," Applejack said.

"I've made up my mind. Spike, send it," he said as he handed Spike the two tickets.

Spike placed the two tickets on the parchment and rolled them into a scroll. He then sent it on its way via his Dragon Fire. "Done!"

Dusk felt so relieved, he wouldn't have to choose between his new found friends. Fluttershy, however, looked a bit worried as she voiced what the others were thinking, "But, Dusk, now you don't get to go."

"It's fine, really. I wouldn't have had any fun without you guys there anyhow."

Before anyone could respond, Spike, let out a loud belch. Rainbow and Pinkie both snickered but Rarity took exception, "Spike! That's hardly appropriate- whoa!" Rarity had to duck as Spike let out another belch, this one producing a spout of Dragon Fire that materialized an envelope.

"It's a response from Celestia," Dusk said as he grabbed the letter out of the air, "that was fast." He tore open the letter and read it aloud; "My dearest student, all you had to do was ask." Inside the envelope was six golden tickets, one for Dusk and each of the girls.

"One of these days I'm going to get tired of saying 'told ya so,'" Spike said with a smug grin.

"Girls, look!" Dusk said undeterred, "Now we can all go!" The atmosphere in the room was one of elation as he and the others cheered.

Spike just rolled his eyes, "oh no, I didn't get a ticket, guess I cant go..." he said sarcastically.

"Hey, I know how we can celebrate!" Pinkie chimed in, "lets all go to Sugarcube Corner! The cupcakes are on me."

"I guess, I could go for that, but afterwords I really need to take a nap," Dusk said as they headed out the door.

When they were all gone, Spike sat down with his arms crossed, "she could have at least sent me a ticket," he said to himself. "Not that I want to go or anything but she didn't have to ignore me." As he said that, he let out another loud burp, causing a small envelope to appear and float down to his lap. Opening it, he found a seventh ticket and a letter that said "and one for you, Spike."

Spike looked around to make sure no one was watching, then grinned to himself, "I get to go to the Grand Galloping Gala, sweet!"

Author's Note:

Golden: Devcgtcmk lmktgcked. Syklbrmkczgtcmk wctbck glleptgoie ieveis. Km nurtber gltcmk keeded.