• Published 4th Apr 2016
  • 594 Views, 7 Comments

Daring Do and the Gryphon's Quest - De Writer



Daring Do sets out to find the Truth of the origins of Gryphons for the Empress of the Gryphon Empire. What she and her companions find may prevent a civil war . . . or start one . . .

  • ...
1
 7
 594

Chapter 15. Journey to the Gryphon Empire

Chapter 15. Journey to the Gryphon Empire

The screen of Eagles overhead made certain that there was no further aerial assault. There were no more adventures beyond the changeling’s continuous wonder and delight at the mundane seeming world that they passed through.

That did not stop her from needing fires four times a day to draw warmth from. Warmth that she then shared out to her precious eggs. Her dedication to turning them and keeping them safe was past impressive.

At the Circle Lake Resort rail terminus Grata laid out her ID as the Left Wing of the Imperial Throne and her Letters of Cooperation from Princess Luna and Princess Celestia.

“Good Station Master, we require a safe place to keep our cart untouched except by members of our party until you can obtain a car that will meet our transport needs.”

The pony looked up at Grata. From behind his ticketing window grating he asked, “What is so special about your car needs?”

Grata, crest set dead serious, replied, “We need a single baggage/passenger car with a galley suitable for both Gryphon and pony diets. There must be a communicating door between the passenger and baggage parts.”

The Station Master pony scratched behind his orange ear as he thought. “There are precious few such cars as you require. I can do a Magic Net check to see how soon I can get one here. The check might take an hour or two.”

An arrogant Gryphon voice interrupted, “It is of no importance! This Blasphemous Venture Ends HERE! They did not go to the so called Sunlord Temple at all!

“I, Krayard, High Priest of the Twin Flames of Creation, shall personally destroy anything in that cart that I deem blasphemous! That changeling must be slaughtered! As for those eggs, I will make an omelet of …”

Three power diving Eagles interrupted his oration by slamming him to the station platform! Their extended talons drew blood. As he tried frantically to flutter back to his feet, two more diving Eagles smashed talon first into his wings, pinning his spread out pinions! Another Eagle struck Krayard in his center back, between the wings!

Added to the crunch of taloned claws smashing into him, there was the cracking of bone! Krayard’s hindquarters suddenly spasmed wildly and went limp!

Shocked beyond measure, he cried out, “Make them stop! Why are they attacking me?”

Rahak replied, crest set to show mild interest, “How can we? They are not tame creatures doing some trick. You threatened both their mother and their young that she is tending.”

“Mother! How is that monster of blasphemy any sort of mother to anything?”

The Eagles had paused their attack, except that the one on Krayard’s neck struck suddenly! He lifted his head, beak dripping the gore of the priest’s right eye. Striking yet again, he blinded the Gryphon under his talons.

Grata filled in, “How stupid are you, Krayard? The first living being that a chick sees becomes mother to it. This changeling was the sole survivor of her hive. We do not know where the hive was, or how long she has been raising Eagles but these are all following their mother.

“Defending Nest and Young is NEVER murder and that is what they are doing! I see no reason to interfere.” Grata turned her back on the carnage that followed as the Eagles began to strip the flesh from his still flailing carcass.

Speaking to the appalled Station Master, Grata said cheerfully, “My apologies for the mess. I will pay extra for cleaning the platform.”

Tearing his eyes from the ghastly sight of the Gryphon’s now still carcass being stripped by a horde of Eagles who were feeding cooperatively, the Station Master swallowed hard and replied, “Thanks, ma'am. Was not looking forward to getting that job done. About that car, let me get started on finding it for you.”

He busied himself with a magic net mirror. He applied Princess Luna’s note of cooperation, which caused the Royal Seal of the High Commissioner of Equestrian Roads to glow and stick, proving the document and the connected request to be genuine.

It only took him about twenty minutes. Looking up, he reported, “Ma'am, I found a car that meets your needs. It will take two days to get it here. We cross checked with Princess Luna herself. She has ordered it as a special train, with its own engine and fuel car. Once it is here, it can be ready to load your party in only two hours. Those are needed for proper maintenance.”

Grata nodded acceptance. “That is fine. Where can we safely park our cart and stay by it?”

“Stay by it? I can easily book you into a resort hotel.” He rubbed his chin in thought. A glance over at the dead Krayard, showed him the changeling happily chomping down gobbets of the carcass, surrounded by Eagles who were also feeding with none of the expected squabbling.

They were all surrounded by the delicate green glow of changeling magic.

The Station Manager sort of swallowed hard. “OK, I see why you won’t want a hotel room!” Rubbing his chin, he suggested, “Try our Warehouse #2. We will lock the pegasus ports from the inside. Same for the main doors. Entry and exit will be through the office. Will that do?”

“It sounds perfect. Let us see it. Doctor Do will be the final judge of that.”

The remaining two days stayed quiet. They built small fires for the changeling on a regular basis, to help her keep her eggs warm. Eagles perched along the roof crest and in the trees nearby.

They brought gifts of fish from the lake and a good variety of greens for Daring Do. These, they laid at the door to the warehouse office.

When the special short train arrived, they opened the main door to the warehouse and brought out the cart and the changeling. Oddly, it was Gryphons among the tourists who cheered them the most.

A pony asked a cheering Gryphon, “How can you cheer that one? I mean, it is a changeling and it ate one of your kind!”

The Gryphon paused, crest showing puzzlement. “Why is that wrong? He was attacking nest and young. Besides that, he was violating the will and law of your Princesses and our Empress. Such a being has no honor. His death was to be unmarked and unburied, for scavengers to eat. That it benefited nest and young was a good thing!

“Hurrah for the Left Wing of the Throne!”

The pony shook his head. “Every time that I think that I have started to understand you Gryphons, something like this happens!”

They watched as the baggage car door was opened and the cart and changeling were loaded. The door was sealed and Daring Do, Grata and Rahak boarded the passenger part of the car. Eagles perched on top of it!

With the loud Chug! Chug! The hissing of steam, bells clanging, and the blast of a whistle, the journey to the Gryphon Empire began.

The changeling came out to be with them for a little bit. She watched the passing scenery with fascination. Daring Do pulled out her writing kit and offered it to her.

She also brought out the copy of the original document of the Legends, the one written just before 54 years after the last Nightmare War.

She explained what she wanted. The changeling smiled and began to write. She took time off to go tend her precious Eagle eggs, but returned to her task.

At a fuel stop, Daring Do was stretching her legs. The Engineer approached her. He was shaking his head. “Ma'am, we will be in the Empire this evening! I have never seen anything like this run! Princess Luna cleared the entire mainline, all the way to the Imperial Aerie. The Empress herself ordered the border opened to us without the need for a stop! We will be at the Imperial Aerie by no later than ten tomorrow. This is our last stop before the Imperial Aerie.”

Author's Note:

This tale can be regarded as an Alternate Universe or an Equestria of the future. I have incorporated both characters Of Carmen Pondiego and the Equestrian Defense Bureau with permission from both blog holders.

Carmen Pondiego I regard as a co author. She provides ideas and plotting assistance as well as writing critique.