• Published 12th May 2016
  • 1,692 Views, 20 Comments

Starting Life Anew - Frosty the Batty



Ember, the human, is sent to Equestria via teleportation gone wrong. But instead of meeting the ponies we all know and love, he meets two very young fillies. Both of them with their respective celestial powers.

  • ...
11
 20
 1,692

Part 5

“I missed you too. You big lug.” I hug him back. We stayed in that man-hug for a good five minutes before Discord uncoiled himself off of me. “So this is what you’ve been doing?” I look at all the animals scurrying around.

“Yes, though it has gotten a little boring.” He said. “Still, it beats being trapped in stone for millennia.” I snort.

“Yeah, I can imagine.” I roll my eyes playfully. “Anyway, wanna come? The girls are showing me around this place.” Discord looked up in thought, then smiled and nodded.

“I would absolutely love too!” He said. “Plus, we have a lot of catching up to do.” I smile.

“That, we do Discord. That we do.” We head out of Fluttershy’s house, introduce Discord to Arian, and head back to the tree house slash library.


We made it back to the library without incident, which was a little strange considering the four of us were walking with Discord. Maybe he was changed a lot, like Teacup said.

Anyway, we walk inside and join the group and they warmly greeted us.

“Did I miss anything important?” I asked.

“Nothing important.” Teacup answered. “Just some… mare things.” Despite her and Moony keeping smiles. The others weren’t, instead they looked rather… worried? Unsure? Bah, Teacup said it was girl stuff, so as a man I can’t ask about it. At all.

“Alright, should we get back to your tour or..?” I leave the question hanging.

“Of course!” Both my little princesses said. I grin at their excitement and turn to leave with them and Discord, but before any of that could happen I noticed a small purple scaled, green spined dragon. And he, I could tell it was a male, was looking right me. Or more at Arian than me. He’s probably just under thirteen by the looks of it. Shaking hand to hoof with Applejack came to mind.

*That explains the handshake…* “Who’s this little guy?” I point to the baby dragon. He sucks in some air and his eyes shrink.

“H-hey there! I-i’m Spike!” He shakily waved a claw at us. Me and Arian waved back. We walk up to him, and his spines kinda wilt.

“Hey Spike. Nice to meet ya.” I said. “And this is quite a surprise. I’ve never seen a dragon amongst ponies like this.”

“Really?” Teacup asked.

“Yes.” I answer. “In all my one-thousand, two hundred and ten years of life. This is the first time I have seen, and met, a baby dragon hanging out with ponies.” I turn to the little drake. “At least, baby by pony standards.” Spike brightens up.

“Finally! Somepony understands!” He holds up a claw, and I give him a hive five. Then I smile smugly at the ponies, knowing that they don’t know much about dragon biology. Those fuckers can live for ages. But still, once a dragon reaches… I think thirteen or fourteen. They go through some test to become an adult.

But that can fuck off to these ponies. All this guy needs is to puff out some smoke and they’ll think he’s all grown up. At least Arian has proven her adult… ness. And now she’s not the metaphorical elephant in the room. Bonus or her.

“Really? I thought these ponies would understand at least a little about dragon culture if you’re here.” I look at the six relatively ‘normal’ ponies. At their unmeeting glances I facepalmed. “Oh for… Teacup, really?” She blushed. “I know you want your people to be safe, but really? You can move the fucking sun!”

“Language!” Discord scolded playfully.

“Whatever Discord.” I chuckle. “Let’s get this show on the road.” The girls nod and join me, Arian, and Discord. “And I do apologize for making this visit short. But I have things to see.” I left the house with a simple wave. Not waiting for any response.


Holy shit there was so much to see! Out of all the towns and cities we went too, my favorite has to be Las Pegasus. Which is basically the pony version of Las Vegas. A lot of gambling at the girl’s expense was had that day.

And Trottingham… It had a rich culture. Looks a lot like Great Britain. In fact everything from that country was copied and pasted in the metropolis as a city. Except for, you know, the whole ‘America’ thing. Discord knows what I’m talking about, apparently.

Oh, and speaking of the goat-snake… He told me he went to my world when he was in his stone prison. Well, that explains all the Star Treck references. And he has also told me he was the guy who played Q… I refuse to accept that piece of information. There is, and neither will be, any possible way in the known universe he went to my world as fucking John Delancey. He had to have gone to some other dimension or something. He being John in my world makes no sense what so ever.

And something else I noticed the other day? The guy’s been acting pretty weird. Like he’s expecting something to happen. I thought that was just Discord being… himself. He’s always been acting in strange ways that not even I can comprehend. And I’ve known him since his teens.

Anyway. After spending… I don’t how long we spent traveling. We all went back to Canterlot Castle. I later found out the girls had a room especially made for me right next to their rooms, I just wonder how I missed Teacup’s room…

Bah, enough of my rambling…


“So you had this done while we were traveling?” I look at the room Moony, Teacup, Discord, Arian and I were in. Everything was sized for a human, me. The bed, the windows, the doors, the tables, the bookcases, even the room itself looked like it was made for me. “I… don‘t know what to say… thank you.” And knowing this was done behind my back. It kinda left me lost for words. I thought I would get any generic room the castle has. Which, evidently enough, were made for ponies. So imagine what I felt when I was standing in a room that was especially made for me. There was even a bed for Arain! How thoughtful!

“No need to thank us.” Moony wrapped her forelegs around me. “We merely wish to have you around. That is all. We’ve missed you.” Aww, not the feels again… And Teacup -even Discord!- came together for an embrace. Just like when like we hugged each other all those years ago…

“Stop being so cute, all of you! You’re gonna make my cry.” I said, all sappy and shit. They laughed at me a little.

“Do you think it really matters right now? We’re back together, like we should be, as a family.” Discord said.

“I know right? Just like the first time we hugged like this. Remember?”

“How could we not?” The three of them said at the same time. Causing me to laugh.

“But seriously though. Thank you, the three of you, even Arain.” Said dragoness stood up in attention. “If it weren’t for you four, especially Arain for the last couple years. I’d probably lost my mind ages ago.” Just then Discord perked up, the four of us still hugging.

“Oh! I just remembered. How have you managed to stay sane all this time?”

“Occupying myself with endless tasks.” I respond without missing a beat.

“Pardon?” They let go and gave me curious gazes.

“A long time ago, I found out a man can literally go mad with boredom. So my solution to avoid madness? Finding, or creating, things to do. So as you can tell, I’ve done a lot of things.”

“That brings up another question; what have you done all this time?” Teacup asked, I smiled.

“Why don’t I show you?” I snap my fingers and the world blurred.


“W-what was that?” Moony shakily said.

“I just transported us to my home.” I stated.

“What?” the girls and Discord all perked up. And looked around. Jesus this place is a mess. Probably should’ve cleaned up the place before we left.

“Why is your home so… Littered? This is your home, correct?” Moony picked up a random box, examining it closely.

“Yes, and Moony. Please put that down, it’s dangerous.” She pouted and put the thing back on the floor. I snap my fingers and an organization spell washes washes over my one-room home. The dishes file into cabinets, books alphabetize themselves into their proper order. And the little trinkets and gadgets fill the rest of the shelving I have in here.

“Impressive.” Teacup praised.

“Meh. I preferred having everything everywhere.” Discord goat-snake shrugged his mismatched shoulders.

“Whatever.” I smile and wave a hand dismissively. “Anyway, this is, or will be, my home.”

“Fascinating!” Moony was looking at all the gadgets. “What are all these devices?”

“I... honestly don’t know...” The three of them gaped at me, and Arian remains unmoved. “I mean, I know what some of these things do. But other… eh...”

“What do you mean?” Discord asked. “Surely you should know about all this stuff.”

“Well… I kinda... just… made them.”

“What?” They drone.

“I mean that I did make them, but not how you would expect.” At their confused looks I elaborate. “A long time ago. I discovered I can use Chaos magic.” Then Discord’s eyes bugged out.

“Oh bugger! You should’ve just said that!” The girls nod with him.

“Yeah, but I never really the chance too, until now.”

“Alright then.” Discord said. “Care to take us on a tour?”

“Uh… this is pretty much it...”

“Really?” Teacup asked, I nod. “Then where are we?”

“Inside a mountain.” They deadpan at me. “Yep, got some Diamond dogs to dig this place out for me after I helped them out with some dragon problems.” Then something comes to the forefront of my mind. “Speaking of bitches! I do have more to show you!” I walk over to a door that was previously hidden with an illusion spell and open it. “Follow me, please.” The girls and Discord oblige while Arian follows like she always has. The passage beyond the door with adequate light with little lightbulbs powered by magic.

Eventually the passage leads to a large cave opening. From the outside it look like someone, built a house in the rock without windows. The only evidence of there being any dwelling the door. I take a moment to look out at the vast forest below us.

“Ember? This is a nice view and all, but weren’t you showing us something?” Teacup interjected.

“Right. This way!” I lead them down the mountain on an old path. Said path lead to a massive pair of grey, unmarked doors. Except for a little rectangle towards the middle I walk over to it and knock a few times, the little rectangle opens like a sliding door and two green eye stare back at me.

“Password?” An old, gruff voice asked.

“Iron, it’s Ember. I’m just showing a few of my friends around.” The pair of eyes widen for a split second.

“Hold on.” The latch shuts and the ground rumbles as the doors open inwardly. Revealing all the bustling beings inside: Diamonds Dogs carrying or pulling carts of gems, changelings buzzing around, ponies working shops here and there, a few gryphons here and there, minotaurs hauling loads of building material, even a few monkey-looking people. Those are new, and the irony is not lost on me. Ancestors.

“Ember, what is this?” Teacup whispered to me.

“I may or may have started a city a few years ago. Those money-looking people are new though.”

“Excuse me?” Teacup said. “You found your own city? In a mountain?” I nod. “Why?” I shrug.

“I kept me busy for a while, then the place started running itself. I pretty come here every once in a while to check up on the place.”

“Ember!” An old, grey feathered gryphon walks towards us.

“Iron Claw! How are ya? Kids doin’ fine?” The old bird stands up on his hind legs and we share a welcoming hug.

“Kids are just fine, my friend. Swift Feather just gave me grand kids the other day.”

“Congratulations!” How old is Swift? I remember she was a little tike when I last saw her…

“Thank you lad.” The old gryphon casts his gaze towards my newly restored family. Who are looking at me quite oddly. “Those friends of yours?” He pointed a talon at them. I nod.

“Yep, well, more like family at this point.” I clear my throat. “Iron Claw. I’d like you to meet: Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, and Discord, the Spirit of Chaos. And you already know Arian.” The old bird casts a critical eye over the three new arrivals before nodding.

“I see. They’re those Princesses I keept hearing about?”

“I guess so.” I really haven’t been around this city to hear about a lot of things. I really should…

“Well, great to meet ya!” He walks up to the three of them and holds out a talon. Teacup, Moony, and Discord all shake with him in that order.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you as well, Iron Claw.” Teacup said.

“Charmed.” Moony happily replied.

“Charmed, I’m sure.” Discord, kind of, parroted Moony.

“Well, I gotta go check up on my grandchicks. So I’ll see ya around friend.”

“See ya.” I wave as he takes off to his house. Man, he already has grand kids!

“Ember. I would like to tour this city. But I have to ask, what are changelings doing here?” Teacup asked.

“Oh, yeah. Lemme uh… just follow me.” I keep my smile and lead them into the city, towards the back, where things were still well-lit with those magic light bulbs, just not as eye-catching as the front. Houses, mainly built out of carved rock, were neatly organized. As any neighborhood should be. But towards the waaaaaay Back there was a cave. And the closer we got, the more green everything tinged the houses stopped a block or two ago and now we’re just walking on a well-carved pathway.

“Ember? Where are you taking us?” Teacup, kind of, nervously asked. She was more curious than anything. Only Discord and Moony were showing trepidation.

“I’m just taking you to someone you should know. She can explain why there are changelings buzzing around.” She looked at me, very confused, but right then and there she connected the dots.

“You don’t mean...” I nod.

“Yup, found her and some of her children nearly dead out in the badlands. And don’t worry, you’ll get the full story.” With the rest of the group behind us they didn’t hear our conversation. Eh, they’ll find out soon enough.

Finally we make it to a pair of large double doors. By now everything is illuminated with a sickly green glow coming from hardened globs of green slime.

“Whelp, this is it!” I push the doors open with my magic and watch as they, minus Arain, gape at the sight before them; it was a huge cavern, literally buzzing with activity. Changelings were everywhere. Some stopped for a split second to look at us before buzzing off to do… whatever it is they do around here. And they noticed some had yellow instead of green eyes.

“She’s towards the back.” I tell them. “Follow me.” I turn and walk on with my friends in tow. All too soon I see the queen of these changelings before they do. And she sees me as well, a pleased smile graces her lips.

And then she noticed Teacup.

“Princess Celestia!?” The Queen of this hive stood up from her throne. “What are you doing here!?”

“Silence, Chrysalis.” I order. Her attention is drawn back to me and she sits back down. An afraid expression on her face. “You will not speak to my friends in such a manner.”

“Yes, master.” I can feel the guy’s surprised faces behind me.

“Now, since you already know them, I’m not going to introduce anyone. But while we’re here. How are our children doing?” At the the bug-queen perks up.

“My children are thriving thanks to you.”

“That’s good to hear.” I turn to the group.

“Now, I know what you’re asking. But let me explain.”

“I found her and some of her loyal subjects when I was traveling around the badlands. Our first confrontation wasn’t… pleasant. What with her considerably weak attempts to capture me,” Tia glares at Chrysalis for a moment. “but, I decided to hear her out once I found she was doing it out of desperation.” I imagined the wince Chrysi had on her face that instant. “Same applies to that attack on Canterlot. SHe was just trying to feed her children.

“So, being the nice guy I usually am. I decided to help her out. And we made a deal: She would provide me with services her children are capable off. And I would keep her and her children fed. And that was when I also decided her hive would act as the cities first line of defense, and as a janitorial service. They’re good at cleaning things up.” I mutter the last part to them.

“Hm!” But I keep forgetting they have quite sensitive ears.

“Yes, that’s good and all.” Tia said. Oh god, she’s using compound words. What did I do? “But that still doesn’t explain why you allow her to be here. She has tried to take over my great nation.”

“Weren’t you listening to me?” I asked, but she kept her glare towards the bug-queen, Moony and Discord were doing the same thing. “Listen, the three of you.” I drop my smile and use a tone I haven’t used in centuries on them. I basically got mad and went all stern on them. It worked.

“Chrysalis attacked your city because she was desperate. In her food deprived mind she didn’t think she could reason with you. And she needed to feed her children. Think of it like a mare stealing baby formula to feed her child. She was had no other option but to steal to keep her kid alive. That was the exact same thing with Chrysalis, just on a bigger scale. Do you understand?” Tia nodded nervously. “Good, how about you two?” I turn to Discord and Moony and they nod silently too. “Good!” I replace my dark attitude with a lighter one. I never like being mad at them, even if it’s well-founded. But they did have to see Chrysalis's side of things. At least I more or less resolved it with keeping the bug here.

“Now with that out of the way, let’s go.” I turn back to Chrysi. “Oh and do take care of the place while I’m gone.” She nodded with a mix of fear, apprehension, and joy. Just how I want her, can’t have her taking over the city I spent years creating.

Once we left the city Tia asked my another question, since Discord and Moony were trailing behind, still shaken by what happened earlier.

“Ember. I almost forgot to ask why you called some of her changelings your children.” I slowly turned to her while we kept walking, and smile wider.

“Changelings are awesome in bed.” When she shuddered, blushed, and flared her wings, I busted up laughing.