• Published 3rd Apr 2016
  • 845 Views, 38 Comments

Talking Is Hard - Leoshi



Short, practice snippets of dialogue between characters. Absolutely nothing else.

  • ...
0
 38
 845

Recall

"You know, it occurs to me that ponies are much more susceptible to suggestion than you would believe. Even weirder is that it doesn't have to be a verbal suggestion. That whole incident with Fluttershy morphing into a feral fruit bat is proof enough..."

"Uh-huh, okay."

"I mean, think about it! It wasn't even intentional, and yet the power of suggestion made her focus on things she normally wouldn't concern herself with. That focus went on to consume her, and even change her into something else. Doesn't that raise questions about what other kinds of things ponies can become if exposed to similar stimuli?"

"Yeah, sure."

"Think of the possibilities! If Fluttershy were holding a bear in place with her stare, and I used my magic to convince the bear to stop eating honey, would it have the same effect as when we tried it on the vampire fruit bats? Would Fluttershy become obsessed with honey? Would she morph into some other feral creature?"

"Honey creature. Got it."

"What would we even call that, anyway? Any ideas, Spike?"

"Honeyboo."

"What?"

"What."

"Are you even listening?"

"Uh...of course! We were...ah, we were talking about a new theory regarding a pony morphing to inherit the physical traits of other animals in a similar way that Fluttershy did when exposed to your spell designed for the vampire fruit bats."

"Wow. That's...a pretty accurate summary. But wait, you've barely been responding this whole time!"

"Twilight, years of being around you has taught me a valuable skill. I call it 'recallversations.'"

"Recall...and conversation?"

"Yep. How else do you think I respond to things happening around me when I'm reading a comic? Recallversations!"

"Okay, that's something we should talk about."

"Heh, I don't think there's much there to discuss. All I really do is remember what others have been saying. Sometimes it takes me a few seconds."

"But that's just it! Being able to perfectly recall details like that is a great skill! Have you been able to do it for long?"

"For years, like I said. And it's not really perfect. I just remember the key details that stick out. Like honey!"

"What? Why honey?"

"Well, honey is a great topping for snacks, and I got to thinking that I'd like a scone or something that's topped with honey."

"Right. We'll get some. But then...why honeyboo?"

"Oh, uh, I was just picturing a giant pile of honey that could walk on its own."

"Ah-ha! That's not at all what the point of my theory was!"

"Hey, I said it wasn't perfect. What were you working toward, again?"

"Ugh, nevermind. It's probably something I should put to paper first. I mean, the last few times I've experimented with magic without writing it out first, I've had to deal with all of the side-effects. Like the whole Flutterbat situation."

"Aw, c'mon. That's what I do best, remember? Writing things down and keeping an eye out for you."

"Heheh, yeah. Those are definitely some of your best traits. Ha! I wonder what would happen if I tried that kind of spell on you while Fluttershy was keeping you distracted!"

"Please have mercy on me."

"I'm not really going to do it, Spike! But isn't it fun to think about? How would she change?"

"Twilight. Do you really want to picture what Fluttershy as a dragon would be like?"

"Ah...oof. Right. Let's go back to honey creatures."