• Published 1st Apr 2016
  • 8,148 Views, 4,442 Comments

Group Precipitation - FanOfMostEverything



Stories set in the Oversaturated World, some silly, some less so.

  • ...
26
 4,442
 8,148

PreviousChapters Next
On Binary Star Formation, by FoME

Author's Note:

This is a direct follow-up to "Home-Baked," so you might want to refresh your memory on that one.

The worst part of being aware of one's anxiety was that it did so very little to actually cope with it. Twilight knew full well she was blowing this out of proportion, but she still struggled to say anything the morning after arranging for Sunset to reunite with her parents.

After all, these were Twilight's own parents she was dealing with.

She ran that thought back and reconsidered it. Her parents were only really intimidating in the face of typos, whether on spreadsheets or manuscripts. This would be fine. A breeze.

As long as they didn't see it as a willful mistake on her part.

Twilight shook her head, screwed up her courage, and clenched her fists under the kitchen table before saying, "Mom? Dad?"

Both looked at her with a blend of concern and love that made her own worries melt away. "Yes, dear?" said Twilight Velvet.

"Um..." Okay, most of her worries. Twilight the Younger bit her lip. "You know Sunset Shimmer?" She then fought the urge to bury her face in her palms.

Her parents traded an amused look. "I believe we're somewhat familiar with her, yes," said Night Light.

"Well, um, she and I are kind of... together. Romantically." Intellectually, Twilight knew her face couldn't burst into flame. Emotionally, she wondered if it were possible with magic.

"Ah." Twilight cracked open her eyes at that. Both of her parents were smiling at her. Night Light went on to say, "Firstly, congratulations."

Velvet gave him an incredulous look. "Did you really not know, Nighty?"

He shrugged. "I suspected, but I didn't want to assume."

Sparkle fought to keep her jaw from dropping. "Mom? You knew?"

"Dear, I can tell when you're thinking about her because you get the same look Shining would about Cadence back when he was in high school."

"I do?" Sparkle thought back and tried to find the alleged look in her memory. "He did? Wait, they were seeing each other that long ago?"

Velvet patted her on the shoulder. "Don't feel bad, dear. You get that from your father."

"I resemble that remark," Night Light said with a smirk. One that softened into a smile a moment later. "Secondly, Sparkle, thank you for trusting us with this. I know it couldn't have been easy."

"Well..." Sparkle fidgeted. With parents like hers, it should have been easy. "I mean, I trust you. And with Shining and Cadence, it's not like you didn't already have grandchildren on the way."

"Heartwarming as this is, I have to ask: Nighty, did you really not know Twily was gay?"

Night Light cleared his throat. "I try not to pry too deeply into my children's romantic lives for both their sakes and mine."

"For the record," added Sparkle, "I'd describe myself as more in the middle on the Linseed Scale."

"If you say so, dear," Velvet said, smiling indulgently. "You still said you were going to marry Moondancer and live in a library with her when you were eight."

"I was eight."

"Yes, and?"

After a deep breath, Sparkle said, "You realize this is the biggest obstacle I face when telling you guys anything."

Velvet got up and wrapped her in a hug. "Twily, I say this with love, but you fret about everything. Your father and I try to give you one less thing to worry about by being, well, silly."

Sparkle returned the hug, though she couldn't help but add, "And it amuses you."

"And it amuses us. We can fulfill multiple goals with the same approach."

"Fair." Sparkle smiled. "And I admit, I am glad I told you sooner rather than later."

"All we ask for in return is an in-depth study of your alien lover's biology, society, and native ecology."

"Dad!"

"Really now, Nighty."

Night Light shrugged. "We're on the ground floor for a new era of discovery and I for one intend to learn all I can from a primary source."

"I don't disagree, I just wanted to ease her into it."

"And to think, you both wondered why I wanted to dorm at Crystal Prep."

Velvet nudged her daughter. "Don't act like you aren't going to get that data anyway."

Sparkle rolled her eyes. "Of course I am. But you could be less... you about it."

"Parents' privilege, dear."

PreviousChapters Next