• Published 1st Apr 2016
  • 8,148 Views, 4,442 Comments

Group Precipitation - FanOfMostEverything



Stories set in the Oversaturated World, some silly, some less so.

  • ...
26
 4,442
 8,148

PreviousChapters Next
/r/ise, by FoME

Vignette moved in a world of data. Hers was a realm of trends, metrics, networks. Especially networks. People weren’t important. Views were. Likes were. Shares, rechirps, follows, likes, subscriptions, the numbers were what gave any social media diva life. If your numbers weren’t going up, odds were that soon, you’d be going down.

The changing world meant little to her at first. Wider fingernails meant more real estate for manicure pics, but it was barely worth mentioning compared to Gofessional camera feeds of people flying under their own power. But then her phone spoke to her in a way that had nothing to do with the speaker.

And she listened.

And she learned.

The knowledge persisted as Vignette traded in for the latest model. She couldn’t be seen with something outdated, after all. Charmingly retro or vintage was one thing, but last year’s phone was neither. But it was still her phone. Something, some intangible but definitely present essence, carried over.

The upgrade to Paradiamond Mobile was more a formality than anything. Vignette had spent so much time and energy with her closest, truest friend that it was basically self-aware anyway, and that awareness was part of what she’d brought to the new model. But with the upgrade came so much more.

Vignette knew about augmented reality. She distinctly remembered her scathing takedown of the unforgivable dorkiness of Gillion Glass. But once her phone truly had a mind of its own, one that she had fed and nourished with her own magic during its development, she could truly experience AR the way it was meant to be. She never went without her feeds. She composed her posts by thought alone and watched the views climb in real time. Snapgab, Immediagram, MyStable, all eternally at her fingertips, the windows untethered to any screen, instead floating about her in a cloud only she could see.

As she bounced off the asphalt, the truck’s horn still ringing in her ears, she supposed that she could’ve made that cloud a teensy bit thinner when crossing the street.

Vignette wasn’t very tough or strong like other earth aspects. She’d given too much of herself to her phone to have much in the way of physical magic. But three million people knew she existed. Three million souls hung on her every word. Three million minds believed she was still alive.

The numbers gave a social media diva life. What was one girl’s opinion compared to that?

As she stumbled to her feet, hearing bones grind against one another, Vignette knew this wasn’t something she could just brush off. But it wasn’t that big a change.

After all, she’d always lived on her phone.

Author's Note:

Some liches create their phylacteries through great expense and mastery of the arcane. Some just put so much of their soul into something that it ends up with the majority share.

PreviousChapters Next